SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

biggus diggus Jan 7, 2020 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 8793055)
Sorry bro, it's called private property rights. Besides, Matt never discussed with any of us on what color the signage should have been, he went ahead and made a selection. Not a good neighbor if you ask me....

Let me make sure I understand a few things:

1. You're drawing a parallel between the cosmetics of his marketing scheme and a developer putting your business at risk? You're stretching quite a bit here.

2. You're alluding to the "private property rights" in a way that makes me think you don't believe in being a good neighbor. Am I getting that right? Most developers (read: almost all) will reach out to the neighborhood business owners during planning stages. These guys did not. That's why Matt, Mat, and the former owner of Velo were so upset with them. They just tried to ram this project down everyone's throat with no regard to how it would affect anyone else. Hint: just because you don't have to ask doesn't mean you shouldn't.

3. "sorry bro, it's called private property rights." I would suggest not using words like "bro" in those sentences, very condescending. Not different from if I said "look here, chief" and then went off on a tangent. You would probably think I sound like an asshole.

biggus diggus Jan 7, 2020 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8793076)
I would not advise anybody to buy west of downtown unless they want to put up some small potatoes project. That area has no precedent and in fact fierce opposition any serious height. If you want to go higher than 30 feet I’d laugh at you.

Lucky for me I've never done more than a four-plex. :)

combusean Jan 7, 2020 9:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 8793055)
Sorry bro, it's called private property rights. Besides, Matt never discussed with any of us on what color the signage should have been, he went ahead and made a selection. Not a good neighbor if you ask me....

Matt absolutely does have air rights over his own property that Derby would have interfered with. It is additionally a tort to use your property in a way that interferes with others.

azsunsurfer Jan 7, 2020 9:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8793082)
Let me make sure I understand a few things:

1. You're drawing a parallel between the cosmetics of his marketing scheme and a developer putting your business at risk? You're stretching quite a bit here.

2. You're alluding to the "private property rights" in a way that makes me think you don't believe in being a good neighbor. Am I getting that right? Most developers (read: almost all) will reach out to the neighborhood business owners during planning stages. These guys did not. That's why Matt, Mat, and the former owner of Velo were so upset with them. They just tried to ram this project down everyone's throat with no regard to how it would affect anyone else. Hint: just because you don't have to ask doesn't mean you shouldn't.

3. "sorry bro, it's called private property rights." I would suggest not using words like "bro" in those sentences, very condescending. Not different from if I said "look here, chief" and then went off on a tangent. You would probably think I sound like an asshole.

Thanks Boomer! I know I personally will not do any excessive community outreach other than what is required from whatever jurisdiction I am trying to do a deal within.

biggus diggus Jan 7, 2020 9:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 8793134)
Thanks Boomer! I know I personally will not do any excessive community outreach other than what is required from whatever jurisdiction I am trying to do a deal within.

In this case had they sat down with the neighbors for an hour I am confident the building would be fully constructed and occupied by now.

Your attitude is that of one who won't find much success.

azsunsurfer Jan 7, 2020 9:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 8793088)
Matt absolutely does have air rights over his own property that Derby would have interfered with. It is additionally a tort to use your property in a way that interferes with others.

Yes, you are correct. I concede that but if I owned the bar I would understand the realities of the local market and the highest and best use per the zoning.

biggus diggus Jan 7, 2020 9:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azsunsurfer (Post 8793141)
Yes, you are correct. I concede that but if I owned the bar I would understand the realities of the local market and the highest and best use per the zoning.

I don't believe you.

Someone tells you "hey we're putting a crane up and lifting things over your patio, you should probably close it for two years" and you look at the books and realize it can put you under and your response is "I understand".

Sorry, that's BS.

CrestedSaguaro Jan 7, 2020 11:33 PM

Have some info on X Phoenix Basecamp and Berger (Hanny's).

X Phoenix Basecamp: The proposed tower is 18 stories and 215' to the parapet and looks to be a small footprint.

Berger/Hanny's: Height has been reduced to 231' to the parapet at 15 floors and a roof amenity deck. Pretty disappointed in this. I feel this is a small lot in a tight fitting area and it should have been at least as tall as Phelps. Oh well. At least more fill and 1 less lot.

I don't have time to upload any docs right now, so I will post more on these tomorrow.

PHXFlyer11 Jan 7, 2020 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8793271)
Have some info on X Phoenix Basecamp and Berger (Hanny's).

X Phoenix Basecamp: The proposed tower is 18 stories and 215' to the parapet and looks to be a small footprint.

Berger/Hanny's: Height has been reduced to 231' to the parapet at 15 floors and a roof amenity deck. Pretty disappointed in this. I feel this is a small lot in a tight fitting area and it should have been at least as tall as Phelps. Oh well. At least more fill and 1 less lot.

I don't have time to upload any docs right now, so I will post more on these tomorrow.

Thanks for the updated. That's garbage on Berger. City should deny. Needs to be at least 20 stories there.

combusean Jan 7, 2020 11:51 PM

^ The Berger proposal was ambitious even for Phoenix with inclusion of "flex" space. Not knowing how your space will pencil out and building it to build it is dumb. Office, for example, has far less plumbing demands than residential and I'm not quite sure how you can just bring that in after the building's open.

That lot is small and a five story hotel had difficulty going up without cantilevering over the sidewalk, something Streets hates.

Obadno Jan 8, 2020 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 8793283)
Thanks for the updated. That's garbage on Berger. City should deny. Needs to be at least 20 stories there.

Is X Phoenix baseccamp separate from X phoenix? is it Phase 2?

ASUSunDevil Jan 8, 2020 12:14 AM

Tempe brewery to open two-story restaurant in Convention Center

Article is locked, but the rendering looks awesome! Hopefully this gives Four Peaks a kick in the ass to open a Downtown location.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/..._news_headline

CrestedSaguaro Jan 8, 2020 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8793296)
Is X Phoenix baseccamp separate from X phoenix? is it Phase 2?

It's a second new development on 2nd Ave I believe is the empty lot adjacent to the North of the new Fillmore Connections residential building. It was talked about briefly a few pages back.

fawd Jan 8, 2020 1:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 8793297)
Article is locked, but the rendering looks awesome! Hopefully this gives Four Peaks a kick in the ass to open a Downtown location.

Nice. I actually really like that location for a brewery!

gymratmanaz Jan 8, 2020 2:22 AM

So is that what is going on the south side of the convention center?

vwwolfe Jan 8, 2020 3:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 8793387)

This is going on the north side facing Monroe.

PHXFlyer11 Jan 8, 2020 3:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 8793387)

Was initially assuming that’s where this was going. Not in the most likely place. Hope it does well though. I’m in favor of breweries on every corner!

gymratmanaz Jan 8, 2020 2:19 PM

Then what are they doing to the south side of the convention center? Removed all the trees and everything. What is going in?

crwhiteinaz Jan 8, 2020 3:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 8793297)

Huss Brewing Co. has reached an agreement with the city of Phoenix and Aramark Corp. (NYSE: ARMK) to open a craft beer taproom and full-service restaurant in the Phoenix Convention Center.

The new restaurant and bar will be built along the convention center’s north side on Monroe Street between Second and Third Streets, facing the Herberger Theater Center. The company was to make the announcement about the project on Tuesday morning.

The new two-story taproom and restaurant will have indoor and outdoor dining space. Huss is working with Aventura Catering, a subsidary of Aramark and the Phoenix Convention Center’s food and beverage partner, on the project. Huss has not publicly disclosed the new taproom's total development costs.

It's taken about 18 months to finalize the project, said Leah Huss, who co-owns Tempe-based Huss Brewing with her husband Jeff.

“We’re looking forward to being a part of the downtown Phoenix community and helping the revitalization of the area, especially bringing a vibrant nightlife back to downtown’s sports, arts and events community,” Huss said.

Project construction is expected to start early this year and be completed by fall.

This will be Huss’ third taproom, along with existing locations in Tempe and uptown Phoenix.

“The Phoenix Convention Center is one of downtown Phoenix’s most visible points of pride, and we are thrilled that they will now house a beloved local company with Huss Brewing Co.,” Phoenix Mayor Kate Gallego said in a statement. “This new location will help further showcase the strength of our community’s craft beer industry to the millions of visitors who come to our city each year.”

In 2018, Aventura renewed its contract with the Convention Center for 10 years. As part of the deal, Aventura committed to investing $6.5 million in improvements and infrastructure at the convention center. Additionally, the city expects to earn more than $90 million dollars in commissions and fees over the life of the contract.

Aventura partnered with Local First Arizona and its founder Kimber Lanning on searching for an Valley-based company to open a brewpub in the Convention Center.

“We’re excited to offer a world-class, communal experience where locals and visitors alike can come together over great food and award-winning local beer, and we found that with Huss Brewing Co.,” Mike Maltese, district manager for Aventura, said in a statement.

Aventura already operates a Starbucks location and has a food court with six different menu options in the Convention Center.

biggus diggus Jan 8, 2020 4:23 PM

I thought I might read this but I'm still disappointed:

"Huss is working with Aventura Catering, a subsidary of Aramark and the Phoenix Convention Center’s food and beverage partner, on the project"

Much like the airport restaurants it just won't be the same experience in terms of the care that goes in to each and every guest's visit.