SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

fawd Dec 13, 2017 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8017798)
Lot of news coming out today

Gotta get the PRs out before the holidays!

xymox Dec 14, 2017 2:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickw252 (Post 8017593)
That’s awesome to get high-tech, high-pay jobs in the central Phoenix area.

I agree - always good, however... Data Centers don’t bring very many jobs - maybe 20-25 tops. Doesn’t take all that much to run one. And they don’t necessarily pay as much as other types of tech work either.

There’s already a handful of other data centers in the area - so this will be a pretty decent addition.

Obadno Dec 14, 2017 3:43 AM

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...r-airport.html

Looks like the old Sacred Heart Church and that big empty lot are going to be developed into an office building and, apparently the church will come back into full service.

The land has been vacant for nearly 30 years.

biggus diggus Dec 14, 2017 6:06 PM

I'm told December 31st is the last day of business for Los Olivos car wash

PHXFlyer11 Dec 14, 2017 6:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8018843)

Any speculation on what is going there? I think you said apartments. Another 5-story? Any ground floor retail? It would be a huge miss if they didn't have ground floor retail at that intersection.

fawd Dec 14, 2017 6:33 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the update. Glad that lot is getting a more dense development...

But going to really miss Los Olivos.

biggus diggus Dec 14, 2017 6:34 PM

they're still undecided. They are able to go as high as six stories and want to do all concrete construction condos but still "assessing". The developer is real. Lots of indecision.

I wouldn't expect any retail there, he doesn't want to get into commercial leasing.

fawd Dec 14, 2017 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8018875)
and want to do all concrete construction condos

Big deal if they move forward with and all concrete construction! Fingers crossed.

biggus diggus Dec 14, 2017 6:46 PM

I don't think it's feasible, he insists it will be. He also insists he will do a high-end building much nicer than enHance but again I don't think he's done a good enough cost analysis.

TakeFive Dec 14, 2017 7:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 8017585)
The Phoenix City Council will again consider an apartment development proposal on Seventh Street that has pitted a national real estate developer against a vocal group of opposing neighbors.

Atlanta-based Wood Partners wants to develop a luxury apartment complex called Alta Marlette on 3.9 acres. The project is on Seventh Street north of Bethany Home Road in north central Phoenix.

Seventh Street, a busy commuter route.

So frustrating. While I can appreciate the sentiment of 'preserving the neighborhood' blah blah, and added traffic is usually the first place where they hang their hat, a more pleasant walkable area is dependent first and foremost on density. That requires denser zoning. :)

On a different thread or to a different argument I might assert that you can't just wish cars would disappear and expect it to happen as a result. You need a vision and zoning that would define areas of stability and areas of change. Areas of change permitting higher density would logically be near certain intersections or along busier corridors... and 7th and Bethany would be ideal. As denser development occurs then it would justify a BRT route that included more intense green street improvements in those areas that are denser. Then cars won't be the only or best alternative... and yes the differences between ordinary bus service and BRT are proving to be worth the investment and a difference maker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fawd (Post 8018873)
But going to really miss Los Olivos.

Agree

CrestedSaguaro Dec 14, 2017 9:46 PM

Quote:

Correct. They are not renewing any memberships. The 31st is the last day to use gift cards/memberships.

After reading your other posts, I would be disappointed if this wasn't 8 floors and concrete construction as first stated. I also think the owner should include 1 or 2 retail spots in this area as I think they would do really well on that corner.

Is there any chance they could back out? it would suck to lose Los Olivos and nothing happen.

biggus diggus Dec 14, 2017 10:12 PM

You guys are all so sad Los Olivos is closing, I keep trying to get my car washed there and it's so busy I give up. Today they told me when I was already in line "we're just letting everyone know it's about a 90 minute wait today".

I left.

I think they are laying off workers in anticipation of the closure because for the last month or so it's been overwhelmingly busy.

exit2lef Dec 14, 2017 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8019185)
You guys are all so sad Los Olivos is closing, I keep trying to get my car washed there and it's so busy I give up. Today they told me when I was already in line "we're just letting everyone know it's about a 90 minute wait today".

I left.

I think they are laying off workers in anticipation of the closure because for the last month or so it's been overwhelmingly busy.

I came to the conclusion about six months ago that the only way to avoid a long wait at Los Olivos was to arrive half an hour before the morning opening time. It reminds me of the way Pizzeria Bianco used to be, before additional locations opened and lunch service was added.

CrestedSaguaro Dec 14, 2017 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8019185)

I left.

I'm not sad it's closing. I don't even go there. But I do think it would suck if they closed shop, let go of a bunch of employees and then nothing was built and we end up with an empty building or parking lot.

I hope that's not the case, but the last few posts made it sound like the new owner was not confident on what to build. Not usually a good sign. :(

biggus diggus Dec 15, 2017 12:13 AM

They wouldn't go through all this unless they planned to build something.

ASU Diablo Dec 15, 2017 4:03 PM

I've been waiting for this for quite some time and finally happening. Just saw on AZ Wilderness' Instagram account that they are opening a new downtown location, taking over the old DWF Wholesale Florist building (201 E Roosevelt St). It says coming Spring 2019. Four Peaks and San Tan, you're next! Between Pedaulhaus, State 48 Brewing Co, and now Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co, finally some real breweries coming to downtown.

http://azwildernessbrewing.blogspot.com/
Quote:

3. DT PHX is HAPPENING!!: In our travels, we’ve thoroughly enjoyed the identity each urban core has to offer all around the globe. Sure, we prefer the Wilderness and the natural wonders of the World, but the city centers are a splendid showcase of the surrounding people’s abilities, feelings and artistic culture. As we become more cerebral to the needs and desires of human-kind, we sense the true desire to create a community that is exuberant, exciting and full of a creative culture. From Copenhagen to Los Angeles, Geneva to Brooklyn, Vienna to Atlanta, Curitiba to Vancouver, Reykjavik to Kansas City, Vienna to Miami... a revolution is burgeoning among like-minded folks who have pushed the boundaries of both the culinary and craft beverage culture. The great thing is that they are all thriving! We believe that Phoenix, one of the planet’s youngest cities, is ripe for greatness. The hanging fruit is ready for the pickin’. We will be bringing our experiences from travel to a downtown that is on the cusp of a cultural explosion.

Now, for the Details:

The DTPHX location was inspired by numerous influences. Think the beer gardens in Germany combined with the brash "it-is-what-it-is" style of San Francisco’s Zeitgeist. We will combine the goodness of our Arizona beef burgers and the multitude of Arizona produce, raised by farmers that we trust and admire. The artistic direction we will choose shall express the site as an urban oasis dawning AZ nature photography and murals created by local artists. The massive outdoor space will showcase Arizona trees and plants which will be an open environment allowing the patio gardens to be enjoyed wherever you prefer to sit. We have chosen the counter service direction to better serve the large-scale audience more effect and efficiently. We want to be a good fit for the already badass companies down there and enhance each other. We are honored that so many folks in the municipal sector are excited for our new endeavors, and we promise to deliver!

Who: Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co DTPHX
Where: 201 E Roosevelt St in Downtown Phoenix
What: A counter service style burger restaurant serving our own Wilderness beers, Arizona wines and cocktails on draft with a large-scale patio bier garden
More What: An awesome packaged (to-go) beer program! This new location will increase our bottle and can inventory greatly, as well as our ability to get it to our awesome customers. More releases with more packaged beer as well as a strong inventory of bottle conditioned ales.
When: Spring of 2019 is the objective
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wj5tBMNEU...Broosevelt.jpg

Obadno Dec 15, 2017 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 8019906)
I've been waiting for this for quite some time and finally happening. Just saw on AZ Wilderness' Instagram account that they are moving to downtown, taking over the old DWF Wholesale Florist building (201 E Roosevelt St). It says coming Spring 2019. Four Peaks and San Tan, you're next! Between Pedaulhaus, State 48 Brewing Co, and now Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co, finally some real breweries coming to downtown.

http://azwildernessbrewing.blogspot.com/

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-wj5tBMNEU...Broosevelt.jpg

Four Peaks wont move but I could imagine them opening up a tap-room and restaurant downtown.

ASU Diablo Dec 15, 2017 4:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8019911)
Four Peaks wont move but I could imagine them opening up a tap-room and restaurant downtown.

Sorry yeah that's what I meant. Not moving entirely but opening another tap room/restaurant downtown.

Obadno Dec 15, 2017 4:14 PM

Forgot to mention

Great spot! Removing another empty building right next to all the apartments now at 3rd and Roosevelt this place will be popular

ASU Diablo Dec 15, 2017 4:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8019917)
Forgot to mention

Great spot! Removing another empty building right next to all the apartments now at 3rd and Roosevelt this place will be popular

Definitely! I guess we can expect Revolver Records right next door to be next or at least the land.