SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

phxSUNSfan Aug 21, 2011 8:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5385827)
or drive/ride a bike, then you aren't in that much danger. ;)

Except for a DUI...let's pull back here for a second, this brewery isn't going to be offering a full-fledged bar since, according to the article, it will have "tastings". It will be a distribution focused brewery and perhaps a bar affiliated with the name will open later. A micro-brewery would make more sense downtown but that isn't this company's M.O. Too bad! :shrug:

phxSUNSfan Aug 21, 2011 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5385714)
I just realized who you are... you're the guy that pisses off all the urbanites on this board when they read your quotes in the news? Doesn't seem like this board would be much of a fit for you...

Why does he piss off all the urbanites on this board? Isn't he an "urbanite" himself?

Vicelord John Aug 21, 2011 9:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 5385831)
Except for a DUI...let's pull back here for a second, this brewery isn't going to be offering a full-fledged bar since, according to the article, it will have "tastings". It will be a distribution focused brewery and perhaps a bar affiliated with the name will open later. A micro-brewery would make more sense downtown but that isn't this company's M.O. Too bad! :shrug:

have you been to a "tasting room" at a brewery before? I have been to plenty, and you can definitely have a seat at the bar, and drink many many beers at almost all of them.

As for PhxDowntowner, I just remember someone calling him an over critical ass hole or something like that a while back, and no it was not me. :banana:

gymratmanaz Aug 22, 2011 12:48 AM

Been to a few too. They usually are very classy, serve some food, and are great places to have some good fun. Hope this one works!!!

PhxDowntowner Aug 22, 2011 6:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5385860)
As for PhxDowntowner, I just remember someone calling him an over critical ass hole or something like that a while back, and no it was not me.

depending on the situation, it might be hard to argue with that objectively.

but i'm nice too! promise! :cheers:

PhxDowntowner Aug 22, 2011 6:57 AM

I just found the comment with a quick search:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show....php?p=5294035

Vicelord John Aug 22, 2011 1:52 PM

Hahahahahahaha

westbev93 Aug 22, 2011 6:42 PM

So does anyone know where you can buy that beer? Is that tasting room now open?

Vicelord John Aug 22, 2011 6:57 PM

The tasting room is not open. I stopped there on my bike ride the other day and the building looks all but abandoned. There is a piece of paper with their logo on it taped to the window instructing deliveries to the back of the building.

Right now their beers are available at a bar in Tucson and Chase Field.

HX_Guy Aug 22, 2011 7:52 PM

To open at Roosevelt Historic District: Five Guys, Chipotle...
3 comments by Angelique Soenarie - Aug. 22, 2011 09:20 AM
The Arizona Republic

A cluster of empty buildings on the southeastern corner of Seventh Avenue and McDowell Road soon will have new life with four new businesses.
By the end of the year, the three attached buildings will be called Corner on 7th and will be home to a Chipotle Mexican Grill, Five Guys, Jersey Mike's Subs and Zoyo Neighborhood Yogurt.
Phoenix-based Vintage Partners LLC purchased the 60-year-old buildings last winter from Arizona Attorney General Tom Horne, who used part of the space for his 2010 election campaign. The location also was home to the longtime Historic Antique Mall, which closed last fall.

"The outskirts of the Valley are not going to be developed for a while, so we're focused in redeveloping in the central part of the city," said Casey Treadwell, a developer and co-owner of the buildings.
The 16,162-square-foot space, which is being remodeling, will include a courtyard and patios for future businesses. More than 50 percent of the development is leased. Treadwell said he is hoping to attract local retailers and a dinner restaurant to fill the rest.
The interior will feature some of the old architectural features, such as exposed red brick and wood-beam ceilings.
Zoyo, which has six yogurt stores in the Valley, will feature a garage-door entrance.
Other new features, Treadwell said, will include a "common area for seating. We're hoping that it can draw local businesses who want to fill up the rest of the building."

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...#ixzz1VmzuUNG5

HooverDam Aug 22, 2011 8:11 PM

^Awesome, thats great news. Lets hope they do as good of a job rehabbing the buildings as we've seen at places like Windsor/Churn, the Vig Uptown, etc. I sort of suspect they won't since this is a bunch of chains moving in and they may not feel its as imperative to build a quality space as local companies would.

nickw252 Aug 22, 2011 8:12 PM

That's awesome news. Now the building across the street (NE Corner) needs to fill up, and the empty lots facing McDowell between 11th and 15th need to be developed.

PhxDowntowner Aug 25, 2011 10:45 PM

I feel like this crowd might have some good insights for the comments section of this article:
http://downtowndevil.com/2011/08/24/...rk-asu-future/

Quote:

The Margaret T. Hance Park Master Plan Steering Committee met with ASU landscape and architecture students Wednesday to discuss a remastering plan that will transform the park space into a cultural and recreational centerpiece of downtown Phoenix.

HooverDam Aug 26, 2011 12:19 AM

^Posted a long rant. The Hance Park situation makes me almost as insane as the I-10 West LRT situation.

PhxDowntowner Aug 26, 2011 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5391202)
^Posted a long rant. The Hance Park situation makes me almost as insane as the I-10 West LRT situation.

I like it. It's a much more direct and detailed version of my comment :)
Too bad they won't let either of us onto the visioning committee.

HooverDam Aug 26, 2011 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhxDowntowner (Post 5391242)
Too bad they won't let either of us onto the visioning committee.

We don't own land adjacent to the park, thus our opinions aren't valid. But the Jewish Center guys who are old crab apples who hate skateboards, they have valuable input. :rolleyes:

westbev93 Aug 26, 2011 2:50 PM

Residential density on the perimeter would do wonders for that park. However, is that really feasible? Almost the entire north end of the park is abutted by Roosevelt historic district (at least on the west end). How easy would it be to even tear those houses down and replace them with multifamily given the historic overlay and accompanying protections?

That entire park is a nice lesson in how to build the most anti-park possible. No shade. No real entrance from the most logical places. Surrounded by buildings in such a way that the whole place looks walled-off. Dead grass at the most useable time of year. No architectural points of interest other than a flat concrete area in the middle of the surrounding dead grass.

I'd rather the park stay as it is for now. If they did make the park a success, they would simply displace the homeless addict population throughout the rest of downtown. At least now I can avoid the staircase/entrance to the park next to the trolley museum on the days I do not feel like walking through human feces and broken needles. I'd almost argue that the park is a success because it has made downtown as a whole more inviting because the junkies aren't laying around on the sidewalks anymore. Most of the people who tell me downtown isn't safe and full of crackheads haven't really been downtown since Hance opened 20 years ago.

Vicelord John Aug 26, 2011 3:25 PM

Anyone who honestly believes downtown isn't safe is nuts.

westbev93 Aug 26, 2011 3:31 PM

I agree, but the perception persists.

phxSUNSfan Aug 26, 2011 4:02 PM

Hance Park isn't all bad, it is especially accessible off of 3rd Ave and that should be the template for Central Ave. I run through the park almost daily and use 3rd Ave as my way in as you can see the greenest areas from this point. It is also the busiest area of the park due to the play area and large grassy pocket but beyond the third Ave section the park isn't used much. Density along the southern end of the park is possible as there are vacant lots dotting this stretch and they should get rid of the parking lots and make it a real green space for downtown.