SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

phxSUNSfan Jul 27, 2011 5:26 PM

Awesome! Hopefully they remove that damn stucco from the front facade. I pass by this building many times a day and I never noticed the red brick until I saw the photo above.

pbenjamin Jul 27, 2011 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 5359722)
It actually was Centre Street. The link I posted includes some information and the original name... ;)

My mistake, sorry.

glynnjamin Jul 28, 2011 12:44 PM

that bentley's place was such a sketchy spot. It was upscale but in the same way that a pimp is upscale. Very weird. I was frequently the only white person inside.

Vicelord John Jul 28, 2011 3:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynnjamin (Post 5361580)
that bentley's place was such a sketchy spot. It was upscale but in the same way that a pimp is upscale. Very weird. I was frequently the only white person inside.

That's a good signal you shouldn't be going there, cracka ass cracka.

Does this place have a large private parking lot? Scene kids don't like to pay to park.

westbev93 Jul 28, 2011 3:36 PM

There's a parking lot next to it, but I don't know who owns it. The chain link fence in the picture has been removed and replaced with an iron fence with a remote controlled gate.

dtnphx Jul 28, 2011 5:00 PM

Quote:

Check your internal filter, dude.

phxSUNSfan Jul 28, 2011 7:31 PM

Quote:

Heaven forbid! :pet: Us minorities should know better than to have an upscale place available for patronage. Can I use a big word like "patronage" as a minority? Just pimpin' my vocab skills... ;) Does that include other minorities too; is Amsterdam too pimpin?

combusean Jul 29, 2011 12:38 AM

*rolls eyes* dtnphx, stop finding ways to get offended at shit. you're the one with a pot-smoking jesus in your avatar.

I'm pretty sure Bentley's catered to a high-end Black clientele. It's not racist to say one might be uncomfortable in such a joint if they're obviously not of the target market.

I suggest y'all find a new topic to discuss because I really don't feel like cleaning up any messes later.

phxSUNSfan Jul 29, 2011 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 5362360)
*rolls eyes* dtnphx, stop finding ways to get offended at shit. you're the one with a pot-smoking jesus in your avatar.

I'm pretty sure Bentley's catered to a high-end Black clientele. It's not racist to say one might be uncomfortable in such a joint if they're obviously not of the target market.

I suggest y'all find a new topic to discuss because I really don't feel like cleaning up any messes later.

It was the manner in which the "discomfort" was described. Calling upscale blacks, "pimps" is rather offensive anyway you look at it.

Anyway, the location is a little secluded and surrounded by dirt lots; such a travesty all the old buildings that were lost.

nickw252 Jul 29, 2011 6:50 PM

Oasis on Grand

I see workers there everyday but it doesn't look like much work has been done on the exterior. Here's a lousy pic I took from my car at the intersection.

http://i54.tinypic.com/v6ouis.jpg

HooverDam Jul 29, 2011 7:52 PM

Wow looks like the dome over at that Mexican church is all done. I wonder if they plan to put gold or copper leaf on it or if it'll just stay white like that.

Tempe_Duck Jul 29, 2011 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 5363348)
Wow looks like the dome over at that Mexican church is all done. I wonder if they plan to put gold or copper leaf on it or if it'll just stay white like that.

Are you talking about the dome that has been under-construction for a while just south of the 10, West of downtown?

nickw252 Jul 29, 2011 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tempe_Duck (Post 5363518)
Are you talking about the dome that has been under-construction for a while just south of the 10, West of downtown?

Yeah, its right off of 15th Avenue.

http://i51.tinypic.com/263ekap.jpg

http://i51.tinypic.com/a9vmnk.jpg

nickw252 Jul 30, 2011 12:18 AM

Tom Horne Building

Here is a pic from my car window at the intersection of 7th Ave and McDowell. They were tearing up the concrete today during lunch. A few days ago I saw them tearing the roof off at night. So much of the building has been removed. I hope there's something left once they're done :haha:

http://i53.tinypic.com/110hd1s.jpg

Vicelord John Jul 30, 2011 12:34 AM

They made an observatory?!

Leo the Dog Jul 30, 2011 12:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vicelord John (Post 5363650)
They made an observatory?!

:haha: You read my mind!

phxSUNSfan Jul 31, 2011 6:53 PM

News about the historic retail building on SE corner of 7th Ave and McDowell:

"After being burned on the fringes of town when the housing market collapsed a few years ago, retailers and restaurant chains are now looking to expand in infill locations with established demographics."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...#ixzz1Ti6o6Tpq

It would be nice if they could mix up the retail a little more. Technically this corner is in downtown and not near it so these retailers already have a presence in the area. Nonetheless, it is better than a vacant building left uncared for. The "established demographics" mentioned above in the Central City are expansive enough to support a new department store downtown IMO. The Biltmore continues to cater to a growing East Camelback area, but we need a department store downtown that is easily accessible via light rail.

nickw252 Jul 31, 2011 6:57 PM

I can't wait for something to happen there. It's in walking distance from my house and I love Chipotle. I'd also like to see something like a sit-down Mexican restaurant with a patio. I'd love to be sitting outside sipping on a margarita.

They next need to get rid of the gas station and turn it into something a little more neighborhood friendly. Given that it's always packed, and right near a freeway onramp, I doubt that will happen.

The article forgot to mention Sidebar. It's neat local bar above Starcraps.

phxSUNSfan Jul 31, 2011 7:08 PM

Nick, the paper also called the Chipotle for 7th and McDowell the first in downtown; I suspect the CityScape store will be the first but I expect such inaccuracies from the Republic. I'm not a fan of Chipotle because their menu is an unhealthful one and a gross exaggeration of portion control; besides I like really spicy and hot Mexican food. Carolina's should expand in the location instead of Chipotle and offer a slightly different concept; including your idea of having a patio and serving some Margaritas/tapas and jamiaca (pronounced "ha my ka").

nickw252 Jul 31, 2011 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phxSUNSfan (Post 5364834)
Nick, the paper also called the Chipotle for 7th and McDowell the first in downtown; I suspect the CityScape store will be the first but I expect such inaccuracies from the Republic. I'm not a fan of Chipotle because their menu is an unhealthful one and a gross exaggeration of portion control; besides I like really spicy and hot Mexican food. Carolina's should expand in the location instead of Chipotle.

I think most of us here know more about development news in the City than the Republic but it's always nice to see it in print.

I on the other hand love the incredibly large portions that Chipotle serves :notacrook: