SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

jd3189 Mar 10, 2020 3:28 AM

Flights have been cheap, so there’s that. Good time to take a weekend trip to a place not highly at risk.:cheers:

Pedestrian Mar 10, 2020 4:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd3189 (Post 8856410)
Flights have been cheap, so there’s that. Good time to take a weekend trip to a place not highly at risk.:cheers:

Just get right on that plane and breathe that recirculated air while gripping the arm rest another person gripped on the earlier leg of your plane’s travels (and be sure to use the bathroom where some other passenger, not feeling well, just was).

KevinFromTexas Mar 10, 2020 4:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8856435)
Just get right on that plane and breathe that recirculated air while gripping the arm rest another person gripped on the earlier leg of your plane’s travels (and be sure to use the bathroom where some other passenger, not feeling well, just was).

You can also breathe through the overhead oxygen mask to avoid all the floating particles.

Pedestrian Mar 10, 2020 5:36 AM

Quote:

[NY] Officials not ruling out shutting down mass transit in wake of coronavirus
Published 16 hours ago/Updated 7 hours ago

NEW YORK - Despite the spread of coronavirus, state and local officials are not shutting down mass transit in the city and state, at least not yet. An estimated 4.3 million people ride the New York City subway system a day.

MTA Interim Chairperson Sarah Feinberg told FOX 5 NY morning program 'Good Day New York' and echoed statements from NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo and Mayor Bill de Blasio a day earlier that they are not ruling out the possibility.

"This is a dynamic situation," Feinberg said. "Moment by moment; hour by hour. We will follow the guidance we are given by medical experts."

More than 51,000 MTA employees are working to help prevent the spread of the virus in the city by cleaning and disinfecting 'touchpoints' and disinfecting subway cars every 72 hours. Workers are using bleach to scrub down all 472 stations, 6,714 subway cars, and 5,700 buses. The goal is to sanitize anything any commuter might touch.

From cleaning and disinfecting touchpoints to disinfecting subway car every 72 hours, interim MTA Chairperson Sarah Feinberg says lots of effort is being made to prevent the spread of coronavirus on mass transit. She also said if the urgency warrants, mass transit could be shut down in NYC.

"It's what's feasible at the moment. We are following the guidance we are given from medical experts," Feinberg said.

Part of the contingency plan involves imploring employers to stager work hours of employees to reduce the number of commuters and straphangers on any train or subway at any given time . . . .

https://www.fox5ny.com/news/official...of-coronavirus

Quote:

NYC Asks Commuters to Stay Off Public Transit ‘If You Can’ to Combat Virus Spread
Published March 8, 2020 • Updated on March 9, 2020 at 1:00 pm

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo and New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio asked sick people to stay off public transit, especially subways and buses.

Their warnings included a suggestion to avoid dense crowds on buses, subways and trains, or take alternate travel if possible.

"If you take the subway and you are able to wait for a less packed train, please do. If you have the option of walking or biking, please do. Buses can be crowded too, but less than subways, so please use these if you can," de Blasio said.

"Move to a train car that is not as dense. If you see a packed train car, let it go by. Wait for the next train. Same if you’re taking a bus," Cuomo said . . . .
https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...pread/2317584/

chris08876 Mar 10, 2020 5:37 AM

People have been buying too much toilet paper. Literally, toilet paper shortages at stores. I suppose bountry will do, might not be "soft" though. Leaves not fully grown or showing yet, so worst case scenario, dry leaves.

Or newspapers.

Pedestrian Mar 10, 2020 5:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8856503)
People have been buying too much toilet paper. Literally, toilet paper shortages at stores. I suppose bountry will do, might not be "soft" though. Leaves not fully grown or showing yet, so worst case scenario, dry leaves.

Or newspapers.

Quilted Northern! Nothing less touches my butt, no matter how bad it gets.

I do expect 10023 can use 5 pound notes:

https://www.economist.com/img/b/1280...917_BRP502.jpg
https://www.gettyimages.com/photos/f...rt=mostpopular

10023 Mar 10, 2020 7:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bilbao58 (Post 8855255)
It still has a death rate 10 times that of the flu for people under 50. And it might not kill you, or even make you ill, but it could very well kill Granny after you go visit her.

Obviously one shouldn’t go visit Granny right now. And perhaps Granny should stay home. Otherwise, life goes on.

People throw out statistics like the above, but 10x almost zero is still almost zero.

jtown,man Mar 10, 2020 12:02 PM

I booked a flight last night. Tickets are CHEAP. I don't give a damn, I Lysol my plane seat as it was anyways lol

iheartthed Mar 10, 2020 3:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8856503)
People have been buying too much toilet paper. Literally, toilet paper shortages at stores. I suppose bountry will do, might not be "soft" though. Leaves not fully grown or showing yet, so worst case scenario, dry leaves.

Or newspapers.

Why do people suddenly need so much toilet paper?! I don't get it!

chris08876 Mar 10, 2020 3:30 PM

^^^^^

Folks think the apocalypse is coming. Literally spending hundreds of dollars on stuff that they are not going to use. Sanitizer for months, toilet paper, canned foods, and tons of water. Costco is limiting the amount of water folks can buy.

And cough syrup, thats another item that's being hoarded. And not just for recreational purposes, but folks are literally buying it in preparation for the Apocalypse. I was at Shoprite on Saturday and there was this lady with 5... I repeat 5 Robitussin.

But yeah with the toilet paper, I don't get it either. Maybe if this was a virus that had the side effect of uncontrollable explosions, I get it, but than we'd be talking about a diaper shortage. Well, let me not jinx it.

Handro Mar 10, 2020 4:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8856755)
Why do people suddenly need so much toilet paper?! I don't get it!

Yes that's a weird thing to hoard to a respiratory illness...

MonkeyRonin Mar 10, 2020 4:15 PM

Went to the grocery store last night. Everything was pretty normal, except that the toilet paper shelf had been picked bare.

What's with the global phenomenon of stockpiling toilet paper? Are people worried they're going to shit themselves to death? :???:



Quote:

Originally Posted by jd3189 (Post 8856410)
Flights have been cheap, so there’s that. Good time to take a weekend trip to a place not highly at risk.:cheers:


I almost took advantage of some of those, but have now been thinking twice about that as the effects of this really seem to be ramping up. I'm not so much worried about being in a place where I may or may not be as susceptible to getting it as I am here; but I am concerned about potentially being caught in an area that gets locked down and getting stranded, or about flights being cancelled, or being on a plane with someone with the virus and then having to go into quarantine, etc. It's all very unpredictable.

So now I'm planning a road trip to Detroit instead.

iheartthed Mar 10, 2020 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MonkeyRonin (Post 8856884)
I almost took advantage of some of those, but have now been thinking twice about that as the effects of this really seem to be ramping up. I'm not so much worried about being in a place where I may or may not be as susceptible to getting it as I am here; but I am concerned about potentially being caught in an area that gets locked down and getting stranded, or about flights being cancelled, or being on a plane with someone with the virus and then having to go into quarantine, etc. It's all very unpredictable.

So now I'm planning a road trip to Detroit instead.

This is my concern too. I was thinking about a getaway but I don't want to end up quarantined or stuck outside of the country.

destroycreate Mar 10, 2020 5:12 PM

I never thought I'd be content with having zero future travel plans, but to be honest I'm relieved even though there's nothing to look forward to. One, I needed to save money and just stay put anyways, but two, don't want to be at risk, and certainly don't want to have to cancel a non-refundable trip. I feel terrible for people who had all sorts of elaborate travel plans only to be able to see it disappear completely.

Handro Mar 10, 2020 5:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destroycreate (Post 8856992)
I never thought I'd be content with having zero future travel plans, but to be honest I'm relieved even though there's nothing to look forward to. One, I needed to save money and just stay put anyways, but two, don't want to be at risk, and certainly don't want to have to cancel a non-refundable trip. I feel terrible for people who had all sorts of elaborate travel plans only to be able to see it disappear completely.

Yes it's a pain in the ass. My sister and her kids were supposed to visit us from Italy in two weeks, now she's scrambling for a refund of some kind. I'm also planning to go to Israel in June, watching their new "quarantine EVERYONE" policy closely. If that's still in place in a few months I guess that trip is off.

suburbanite Mar 10, 2020 5:47 PM

I've got Barcelona planned in May and as long as most of the restaurants and day trips I want to partake in are still open, I see no reason to cancel. Would be a shame if something like the La Sagrada Familia was closed though.

chris08876 Mar 10, 2020 6:04 PM

New York National Guard activated to combat coronavirus, establish ‘containment area’

Quote:

The State of New York is activating the National Guard to establish a “containment area” to slow the spread of novel coronavirus within part of New Rochelle, New York, a suburb of New York City, the Wall Street Journal reported.

Within the area, “major gathering places” and other facilities “within one mile of the center of the outbreak” will be closed for 14 days, the Wall Street Journal reported.

This focal point is believed to be a synagogue where the first cases of coronavirus exposure were detected, according to the New York Times.

The National Guard will “deliver food and clean schools in the zone during the containment period,” Gov. Andrew Cuomo said, as reported by ABC News.

As of Monday, there were 98 reported cases in Westchester County, where New Rochelle is located, and 19 cases in New York City, according to the New York State Department of Health. A total of 142 total positive cases are reported statewide.

A state’s governor may activate the National Guard under Title 32 State Active Duty authority “in response to natural or man-made disasters or Homeland Defense missions.” Guardsmen remain under “command and control” of the Governor," according to the National Guard Bureau.
=======================
https://www.militarytimes.com/breaki...tainment-area/

chris08876 Mar 10, 2020 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 8857047)
I've got Barcelona planned in May and as long as most of the restaurants and day trips I want to partake in are still open, I see no reason to cancel. Would be a shame if something like the La Sagrada Familia was closed though.

I too am heading to Spain in May.

Spain, France, Netherlands... in that order. Not canceling, and hope not too.

Pedestrian Mar 10, 2020 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8856806)
^^^^^

Folks think the apocalypse is coming. Literally spending hundreds of dollars on stuff that they are not going to use. Sanitizer for months, toilet paper, canned foods, and tons of water. Costco is limiting the amount of water folks can buy.

And cough syrup, thats another item that's being hoarded. And not just for recreational purposes, but folks are literally buying it in preparation for the Apocalypse. I was at Shoprite on Saturday and there was this lady with 5... I repeat 5 Robitussin.

But yeah with the toilet paper, I don't get it either. Maybe if this was a virus that had the side effect of uncontrollable explosions, I get it, but than we'd be talking about a diaper shortage. Well, let me not jinx it.

Why are they buying water? It's not nuclear war or a hurricane. The taps aren't going to run dry or the local water supply contaminated.

The toilet paper I understand. They think the time is coming when they won't want to go to Walmart or CostCo to buy it and I agree. I used my hand santizer immediately after leaving the store the other day myself.

Pedestrian Mar 10, 2020 6:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8857064)
I too am heading to Spain in May.

Spain, France, Netherlands... in that order. Not canceling, and hope not too.

Maybe they won't let you in. The US could be like Hubei by then (though it's more likely they will be with their open borders to Italy).


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:54 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.