SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

Steely Dan Mar 22, 2020 7:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 8870305)
I agree. Reports of and photographic evidence of many in town predominantly black churches full this morning....astounding and disheartening to see. I took a 4 mile walk this morning from my in town house and walked past several churches with full parking lots. :(

Very odd behavior.

The archdiocese of Chicago has cancelled all masses and other church gatherings through Easter, at least.

When the Catholic Church cancels Easter, you know the shit is real.

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 22, 2020 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8870310)
Very odd behavior.

The archdiocese of Chicago has cancelled all masses and other church gatherings through Easter, at least.

When the Catholic Church cancels Easter, you know the shit is real.

Someone on Twitter said that Catholics are now Lutherans... ;)

Pedestrian Mar 22, 2020 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8870310)
Very odd behavior.

The archdiocese of Chicago has cancelled all masses and other church gatherings through Easter, at least.

When the Catholic Church cancels Easter, you know the shit is real.

It's the difference between those with genuine faith (that God will protect them) and those who pay lip service to religion (usually members of one of the mainstream religions).

iheartthed Mar 22, 2020 7:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 8870305)
I agree. Reports of and photographic evidence of many in town predominantly black churches full this morning....astounding and disheartening to see. I took a 4 mile walk this morning from my in town house and walked past several churches with full parking lots. :(

It's mind-boggling that there isn't more emphasis put on churches. We've already seen in South Korea how churches can be the epicenter of a major outbreak. I think something like half of that country's cases were tied back to a single church.

Not to make this political, but there is clearly a tendency to downplay the virus in right-leaning states, and that has led to mixed responses to halt the spread at the local level. I think when it's all said and done the worst places will end up being those states. If we're still locked down in June or July, it will be because of states that are not taking it seriously right now.

Steely Dan Mar 22, 2020 7:26 PM

The dominoes are falling.

Ohio just became the 6th state to go full "stay at home".

Coming soon to a state near you (if you ain't there already).

bigstick Mar 22, 2020 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8870320)
The dominoes are falling.

Ohio just became the 6th state to go full "stay at home".

Coming soon to a state near you (if you ain't there already).

Every state in this country needs to do this so we can "flatten" the curve...:hell:

BnaBreaker Mar 22, 2020 7:55 PM

I don't understand why people are surprised to hear about young people getting serious cases of this. The chance of a serious case for the young and healthy was always said to be relatively low, but not non-existent. Even with a 0.1% chance of a severe case for young people they are going to happen.

JManc Mar 22, 2020 7:58 PM

Louisiana just shut down.

SIGSEGV Mar 22, 2020 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 8870349)
Louisiana just shut down.

Good, I bet Mardi Gras was a virusfest.

Buckeye Native 001 Mar 22, 2020 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BnaBreaker (Post 8870345)
I don't understand why people are surprised to hear about young people getting serious cases of this. The chance of a serious case for the young and healthy was always said to be relatively low, but not non-existent. Even with a 0.1% chance of a severe case for young people they are going to happen.

Some people here keep trying to dismiss this as something that only affects the elderly and immunocompromised.

Tom In Chicago Mar 22, 2020 8:23 PM

I see they're boarding up storefronts on Michigan Avenue here in Chicago for what I can only assume is going to be a prolonged period of closure due to the pandemic. . .

. . .

Emprise du Lion Mar 22, 2020 8:40 PM

Missouri is lagging behind everyone else because Governor Parsons has decided to leave most decisions up to the municipalities. That being said, a social distancing order is going into place statewide tomorrow for the next two weeks. No dining at restaurants, schools closed during the same time span, no groups of 10 or more.

Meanwhile in St. Louis, the city and county (some 1.3 million Missourians) are being ordered to shelter in place for a month starting tomorrow. It's similar to the order currently in place in Illinois, but it gives more exemptions than Illinois did, which isn't exactly helpful.

So here we are. The majority of the metro will be sheltering in place due to the city and county's joint order and the current order in Illinois, but Missouri counties such as St. Charles, Jefferson, etc, haven't followed up with their own directives.

Pedestrian Mar 22, 2020 8:53 PM

Quote:

German Chancellor Angela Merkel has gone into quarantine after being treated by a doctor who later was found to have the coronavirus.
https://seekingalpha.com/premium-news/all

Northern Light Mar 22, 2020 8:57 PM

With 2/3 of Toronto (easily) shut down......

One Toronto neighbourhood, that has a number of healthcare professionals decided to do a tribute concert, every Saturday though the shutdown period.

Of course neighbours are all listening from their porch/yard, as another neighbour sings.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1241580018070892544

Northern Light Mar 22, 2020 8:59 PM

And now for some high-price real estate humour: While this is about Canada's big cities, feel free to imagine it applies to your neck of the woods.

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2017/08...-afford-house/

Pedestrian Mar 22, 2020 9:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern Light (Post 8870413)
With 2/3 of Toronto (easily) shut down......

One Toronto neighbourhood, that has a number of healthcare professionals decided to do a tribute concert, every Saturday though the shutdown period.

Of course neighbours are all listening from their porch/yard, as another neighbour sings.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1241580018070892544

Video Link

KevinFromTexas Mar 22, 2020 9:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mousquet (Post 8870099)
If you think you wouldn't be affected because you're aged under 60, beware, though.

Northeastern France has been the most severely hit so far in this country, and nurses over there report about a few odd cases of young people with no particular health condition, yet stuck in resuscitation services. Some in their 20s or 30s may not survive.

That virus is the most vicious thing you could think of. it's double-faced like many of us will go infected without even realizing, while some will die. They can't explain why yet, because it's a brand new disease, so to say.

There you get statistics on the global stage.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

I'll tell you what, if you believe in God, take a little minute to say a prayer for Italy for it's been appalling over there.
They can't even bury their dead in a decent manner any longer. Those losing a love one of theirs can't attend any burial.
Believe it or not, the northern provinces of Italy (that are by far wealthier than the south) would enjoy some of the most modern and efficient hospitals in the world; still, they are completely distressed, overwhelmed by the epidemic.

The situation of northeastern France (especially Alsace) is turning the same, and we're expecting the next couple of weeks to be terrible here.
In Alsace and Corsica, some seriously infected people have to be moved to hospitals of other regions, because theirs are in a shortage of resuscitation beds already.
The Germans are also receiving some sick from Alsace, helping us.

Speaking of Germany, you'll notice their lower death rate. 2 reasons for that.
1 - The 1st case of the virus in Europe was detected in their country a couple of months ago, and they had the very good idea to take it seriously. So they were early in taking some necessary action.
2 - They have 25k resuscitation beds in their country, while mine has only 5k... then sometimes I wonder what the French taxpayer money is used for. Inept and useless bureaucracy, I guess.

Fact is the Germans must be more disciplined and serious than most of us are for real. It sounds like some dumb stereotype, but their lower death rate is a bit of an evidence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dktshb (Post 8870175)
Yeah, this is getting scarier. I know there is a 12-year-old fighting for her life in Atlanta. In LA 5 young healthy men returning from a ski trip from Italy ended up in the ICU. We're starting to hear now that younger people are getting really sick too.

Yep. I've already read about 3 year olds and 10 year olds getting it here in Texas. And then there are the cases of "young" people getting it. Like the 42 year old mother of 6 who had beat stage 4 breast cancer and then died of Covid-19. There's also this story below. Some of these younger people are dying within a week of first showing symptoms.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/22/39-yea...-test-results/
Quote:

Healthy 39-year-old woman dies waiting for coronavirus test results

By Lee BrownMarch 22, 2020 | 1:09pm

A healthy 39-year-old social worker died days after initially turning down a coronavirus test because she was told she was “low risk,” her boyfriend said in a heartbreaking Facebook post.

Josh Anderson says he found girlfriend Natasha Ott dead in her apartment in New Orleans on Friday as she still awaited news on whether her sickness and fever were actually COVID-19.

He said Ott — who helped people who are HIV-positive — had first told him on March 10 that she had a “respiratory cold” and “tiny fever.”

Her own clinic only had five test kits available, he said, saying she told him, “I declined to take one so someone else could.”

After her condition deteriorated, she finally got tested on March 16 — almost a week after first falling sick — but was told the results would take at least five days, with a further delay meaning they are still not ready, he said.

Pedestrian Mar 22, 2020 9:25 PM

^^News reports like this I find disgusting. People who are sick--really sick--should call the local ER about how to get seen and then do it. An attempt at self-diagnosis by getting some test is an absurd thing to do. How is anyone supposed to respond to the complaint "I can't breathe so I need a coronavirus test but if it's negative I'l just let myself die".

It really doesn't matter whether this woman had coronavirus or not as far as what her response should have been which is precisely why the need for these tests in the general community is way overhyped.

If you are sick, get medical care just as you always would have. The only extra step most healthcare professionals might want you to take is to call before coming to a general ER or doctor's office because many places are now trying to triage patients with possible COVID-19 in a separate location so as not to spread the disease.

iheartthed Mar 22, 2020 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8870434)
^^News reports like this I find disgusting. People who are sick--really sick--should call the local ER about how to get seen and then do it. An attempt at self-diagnosis by getting some test is an absurd thing to do. How is anyone supposed to respond to the complaint "I can't breathe so I need a coronavirus test but if it's negative I'l just let myself die".

It really doesn't matter whether this woman had coronavirus or not as far as what her response should have been which is precisely why the need for these tests in the general community is way overhyped.

If you are sick, get medical care just as you always would have. The only extra step most healthcare professionals might want you to take is to call before coming to a general ER or doctor's office because many places are now trying to triage patients with possible COVID-19 in a separate location so as not to spread the disease.

You should read up on West Virginia's first case. They lost the man's test and his wife almost had to take him to Virginia to get tested. At the same time the hospitals wouldn't admit him out of fear he was infected. This happened at the same time the president was congratulating WV's governor for not having any cases, as if that's a thing that was ever under his control.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/us/we...est/index.html

I'll bet you that West Virginia ends up being one of the hardest hit places when this is all said and done.

Pedestrian Mar 22, 2020 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8870460)
You should read up on West Virginia's first case. They lost the man's test and his wife almost had to take him to Virginia to get tested. At the same time the hospitals wouldn't admit him out of fear he was infected. This happened at the same time the president was congratulating WV's governor for not having any cases, as if that's a thing that was ever under his control.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/21/us/we...est/index.html

I'll bet you that West Virginia ends up being one of the hardest hit places when this is all said and done.

He didn't need to be just tested no matter the details if he was quite ill. Testing is helpful to tell those who are feeling just a bit "under the weather" or even those feeling well but thinking they were exposed (after the necessary wait of about 5 days) whether they are infected and need to self-quarantine, but those who are quite ill need medical care regardless of any coronavirus test result.

If hospitals wouldn't see a very sick person, regardless of what was making him sick, that's awful. He should get a lawyer and sue the pants off them.

What's necessary is what I suggested above and some hospitals are doing: Setting up separate facilities (in tents if necessary) to screen those with possible coronavirus symptoms in a separate location from people with all manner of other medical problems. And for those who, when screened (including a test, preferably the new bedside test now coming only, not the PCR test everybody wants), do need hospitalization, there needs to be separate facilties for those with coronavirus and the rest. Sokme places are doing this. If West Virginia isn't, that's a problem.

I read the article and find nothing surprising in it. Whether and what medical care the guy needed shouldn't have been up to a test. It should have been based on his medical condition with the test used to determine where he got care, not whether. And we all should know there are probably hundreds of thousands, maybe millions, of people who have contracted coronavirus out there but haven't had it confirmed with a test. If they are critical workers--cops, firemen, medical people--and they feel well, they need testing to see if they can work. The rest should just stay home and self-isolate.


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:12 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.