SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | SoMi Tower | 488 FT | 47 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225446)

SamInTheLoop Oct 17, 2016 5:30 PM

CHICAGO | SoMi Tower | 488 FT | 47 FLOORS

47 Stories
488'

Help?

chris08876 Oct 17, 2016 8:33 PM

Wasn't this tower proposed last year?

Kumdogmillionaire Oct 18, 2016 4:31 AM

Aye aye, and there hasn't been too much news from what I've seen. Hope it gets built though, another booster to the South loop/near southside

Steely Dan Oct 18, 2016 5:43 PM

anyone have current renderings for this one?

Zerton Oct 18, 2016 6:44 PM

No real news since late 2015. Here's the Curbed article from March: http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/3/8/1...hrise-projects

SamInTheLoop Oct 19, 2016 2:13 PM

^ No. This has been in the news recently - when it was revealed that CIM Group is delivering the equity for this project - and that John Murphy was expecting to wrap up financing before the end of the year. Very encouraging news for a near-term construction start.

Zerton Oct 19, 2016 5:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 7597662)
^ No. This has been in the news recently - when it was revealed that CIM Group is delivering the equity for this project - and that John Murphy was expecting to wrap up financing before the end of the year. Very encouraging news for a near-term construction start.

Link to any articles?

r18tdi Oct 19, 2016 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerton (Post 7597889)
Link to any articles?

This is the most recent one I could find. I don't think those are the correct renderings though... IIRC the project has changed height at least once.

Curbed: Proposed 500-unit South Loop apartment tower teams up with Block 37 developer

SamInTheLoop Oct 20, 2016 1:56 PM

^

Link below to the Crain's article that curbed post was actually based on, with Murphy's reference to construction loan close timing, as well as a rendering:

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...nts-south-loop

spyguy Nov 5, 2016 7:39 PM

This is apparently called SoMi Tower now
https://s15.postimg.org/mucacrtl7/image.jpg

chicubs111 Nov 5, 2016 7:50 PM

^ was this towers height reduced?..I could of swore it was around 530 to 550 orignally?

Busy Bee Nov 5, 2016 10:25 PM

Horrible street interface and base design. Symetrical? Are they trying to make it look like cocknballs?

Kumdogmillionaire Nov 5, 2016 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 7613984)
Horrible street interface and base design. Symetrical? Are they trying to make it look like cocknballs?

I'm concerned what genitalia you have been looking at in your life if you think this building looks like cocknballs

Busy Bee Nov 6, 2016 12:56 AM

I'm concerned that you don't think a center shaft flanked by two little nodules doesn't resemble cocknballs.

I don't need you to agree with me to confirm my opinion. The base of this building is balls.

SamInTheLoop Jan 23, 2017 6:26 PM

Groundbreaking within next few months

In a Trib article last week running through several major South Loop projects kicking-off or in the works, 1326 developer John Murphy confirmed this project is on-track (if perhaps delayed by 2-3 months, I'll add), as he stated construction will begin within a few months.

Link to Murphy Development Group's page for the project below.

http://murphydevgroup.com/somi-tower-chicago

Jibba Jan 24, 2017 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 7687188)
In a Trib article last week running through several major South Loop projects kicking-off or in the works, 1326 developer John Murphy confirmed this project is on-track (if perhaps delayed by 2-3 months, I'll add), as he stated construction will begin within a few months.

Link to Murphy Development Group's page for the project below.

http://murphydevgroup.com/somi-tower-chicago

"What should we call it?"

"I dunno. What would those chicks on that Sex and City show call it?"

SamInTheLoop Jan 25, 2017 2:33 PM

^ Fair enough. Definitely gimmicky and a bit nauseating. Then again, I'm at the extreme end as far as preferences in this stuff, as I think I'd be perfectly happy if no buildings were 'named', and we only knew them by their address.....that's just me....

Steely Dan Jan 25, 2017 2:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jibba (Post 7688549)
"What should we call it?"

"I dunno. What would those chicks on that Sex and City show call it?"

yeah.

and only 20 years behind the curve. :haha:

BuildThemTaller Jan 25, 2017 2:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7689622)
yeah.

and only 20 years behind the curve. :haha:

They should have called it SoMich at the very least. I'm surprised the SoNo towers haven't sued. Whatever.

At any rate, this is pretty exciting for the South Loop. There so much development happening right now: Marriott Marquis, McHugh McCormick, 1333 S Wabash, One Grant Park, 1136 S Wabash, 1101 S Wabash, 801 Financial, Ancora (Riverline), and Essex Hotel Tower are all in site prep and/or under construction. The extension of the central downtown all the way south to McCormick place is amazing to witness.

SamInTheLoop Jan 30, 2017 6:09 PM

A post by sox102 in the high-rise thread has me wondering about what VE we will see for this one (particularly in light of it being reported here by someone in the know that 1326 did originally come in over budget a few months ago).....although it's difficult to tell certainly, to me my guess would be that what is being depicted in the renderings to-date is curtain wall.....if this is the case, I wouldn't be surprised in the least if we learn sometime in Feb or Mar that the new, on-budget version of 1326 is window wall.....similar to what sox102 just revealed is the situation with 1 South Halsted.....we shall see.....

SamInTheLoop Mar 20, 2017 6:29 PM

Simon07 reported in the high rise thread that the parking lot has closed....just making conversation around this migrates here.....My guess is construction loan just closed and foundation permit was just issued or will be this week....

BVictor1 Mar 20, 2017 7:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 7745933)
Simon07 reported in the high rise thread that the parking lot has closed....just making conversation around this migrates here.....My guess is construction loan just closed and foundation permit was just issued or will be this week....

If a construction loan has closed, it will be reported sooner than not (usually).

Seems to be jumping the gun a bit to say this is in site prep just because the lot is closed. No equipment yet.

SamInTheLoop Mar 21, 2017 3:30 PM

^ It's possible I could be jumping the gun just slightly.........but maybe not....

Typically there is a lag from anywhere between a few days and a few months between loan close and when it's reported on. Perhaps on average 2-3 weeks maybe? It is true that sometimes when the players are eager for press, they'll issue a release almost immediately on closing......I'd say that's definitely a minority of cases though.....

I'm expecting this one to be quite rapid fire ala One South Halsted (loan close, permits issued, excavate, caissons)......I have a hunch - and it's only a hunch, however a strong one - that this project has the same lender.....this project also has a very strong equity investor in the form of CIM Group......I'd look for action sooner rather than later here....

SamInTheLoop Apr 7, 2017 2:20 PM

ChiRaz reported over in high-rise thread that foundation permits have been issued, per Curbed post. Just mentioning here in case post isn't moved. Now loan closing has likely either occurred or is imminent.....

KWILLSKYLINE Apr 7, 2017 2:30 PM

Banana's hopefully within a month or two. South loop is a boom'n

Notyrview Apr 7, 2017 8:30 PM

All the news lately is excellent, and while not in sloop, wolf point east should break ground soon too.

SamInTheLoop Apr 9, 2017 10:57 PM

An excavator and some new fencing showed up as of this weekend....

The Lurker Apr 10, 2017 4:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 7767647)
An excavator and some new fencing showed up as of this weekend....

Good news. Potentially another big week ahead for South Loop if drilling begins up the street at Essex and 'site prep' activity commences here. Also can't wait to see the crane for OGP. Looks like its going to be massive.

BVictor1 Apr 11, 2017 4:20 PM

They're digging up the lot.

We're in SITE PREP

KWILLSKYLINE Apr 11, 2017 4:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7769462)
They're digging up the lot.

We're in SITE PREP

Hell yeah!!!

harryc Apr 11, 2017 5:43 PM

Apr 10

SolarWind Apr 12, 2017 1:53 AM

April 11, 2017

SolarWind Apr 26, 2017 3:19 AM

April 25, 2017

BVictor1 Apr 26, 2017 5:46 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...struction-loan

April 26, 2017
South Loop apartment project scores $92 million construction loan

By Alby Gallun

Quote:

The developers of a 46-story luxury apartment tower in the South Loop have secured a construction loan for the $175 million project, one of three big multifamily buildings in the area to get underway this year.

Chicago developer John Murphy and Los Angeles-based CIM Group have already begun work on the 500-unit high-rise at 1326 S. Michigan Ave., but financing is typically the biggest hurdle for big projects, marking the official transition from planning to construction phase. Murphy and CIM obtained the $92 million loan from Pittsburgh-based PNC Bank, according to Cook County property records.

Developers say construction lenders have become more cautious about financing apartment projects amid increased regulatory scrutiny and a historic building boom that's flooding the downtown market with new apartments. Developers are expected to complete about 8,000 apartments in downtown Chicago in 2017 and 2018, and the market is already showing signs of softness.

gebs Apr 26, 2017 5:46 PM

South Loop apartment project scores $92 million construction loan

"Chicago developer John Murphy and Los Angeles-based CIM Group have already begun work on the 500-unit high-rise at 1326 S. Michigan Ave., but financing is typically the biggest hurdle for big projects, marking the official transition from planning to construction phase. Murphy and CIM obtained the $92 million loan from Pittsburgh-based PNC Bank, according to Cook County property records."

KWILLSKYLINE Apr 28, 2017 2:21 PM

I know there's still alot of clean up/prep work to do but does anybody got any info on when the first drills are supposed drop? Fingers crossed for late May?

Kumdogmillionaire Apr 29, 2017 6:01 AM

Shouldn't this one be tagged as SITE PREP?

denizen467 Apr 29, 2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 7613984)

It's as though they were trying for that. How else do you end up with those symmetrical bustles entirely different from the tower's design language? Normally you'd translate the chamfer/frustum motif onto the bustle, or there would be a unitized podium expressing a single design, or something like that. In the first place, normally there aren't two small sundecks, usually the tower is on one side and a sundeck of maximum area fills out the rest of the lot, to fit a pool, etc. Then, add to all of this the fact that the bustles are not fused to the ground but appear to float carefree one or two stories above street level... I think the partner went home one Friday thrilled with his tower, and left some randy junior guys to finish up the bustles over the weekend.

the urban politician Apr 29, 2017 1:19 PM

At least there are no curb cuts on Mich Avenue like there were with some of the earlier condo towers built in the 2000s.

I wonder if the city has banned new curb cuts outright? I certainly wouldn't count on developers to voluntarily give them up.

Also, does anyone know the parking count on this? All I can find is that it will be 500 apts

BVictor1 Apr 29, 2017 2:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 7789247)
At least there are no curb cuts on Mich Avenue like there were with some of the earlier condo towers built in the 2000s.

I wonder if the city has banned new curb cuts outright? I certainly wouldn't count on developers to voluntarily give them up.

Also, does anyone know the parking count on this? All I can find is that it will be 500 apts

As of March 2016, the number of parking stalls was about 180.

simon07 May 3, 2017 7:26 PM

Steel is being pounded into the ground today. U/C?

Notyrview May 3, 2017 8:19 PM

It's not under construction until they start drilling the caissons

SamInTheLoop May 3, 2017 10:46 PM

^ ^^Actually, it might be under construction. Do we know for certain that this building has a caisson foundation? It's always possible it's a steel pile foundation.....don't forget, a lot of towers in the South Loop - this area (directly behind - 1333 S Wabash, 1401 S State, for example used steel pile foundations), and also closer to the river/Printer's Row/Roosevelt Collection area, where several projects are also on steel piles and/or micro-piles......actually, now that I think about it - also due north, as one or both of the towers under construction in the 1100 block of S Wabash used piles as well.....

Not sure what the practical maximum tower height/size is for piles....if this one is, it will be the tallest/largest in personal memory locally....

Ned.B May 4, 2017 2:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 7793620)
^ ^^Actually, it might be under construction. Do we know for certain that this building has a caisson foundation? It's always possible it's a steel pile foundation.....don't forget, a lot of towers in the South Loop - this area (directly behind - 1333 S Wabash, 1401 S State, for example used steel pile foundations), and also closer to the river/Printer's Row/Roosevelt Collection area, where several projects are also on steel piles and/or micro-piles......actually, now that I think about it - also due north, as one or both of the towers under construction in the 1100 block of S Wabash used piles as well.....

Not sure what the practical maximum tower height/size is for piles....if this one is, it will be the tallest/largest in personal memory locally....

I heard that this building does indeed have piles for a foundation instead of caissons from someone on the design team.

FYI, the official ground breaking was yesterday, not that that has any association with being U/C

harryc May 4, 2017 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned.B (Post 7794250)
I heard that this building does indeed have piles for a foundation instead of caissons from someone on the design team.

FYI, the official ground breaking was yesterday, not that that has any association with being U/C

801 S Financial and 235 W Van Buren are on friction piles (technically caissons are piles as well). Has to do with the soil conditions in that area.

SamInTheLoop May 4, 2017 3:44 PM

^ Ahh - 235 has steel ("friction") piles as well....that would be a similar-sized tower to 1326 S......

SamInTheLoop May 4, 2017 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ned.B (Post 7794250)

This is one building in which an 'official' groundbreaking/groundbreaking ceremony might have actually coincided with an actual groundbreaking.....we'll need someone to provide visual evidence, I suppose, but by the sounds of it (literally according to my ears from some blocks away this morning) this one is almost certainly now u/c.....

BVictor1 May 4, 2017 3:56 PM

Move this thread.....

There are cluster piles along the alley -85'.

:banana:

Notyrview May 4, 2017 4:03 PM

Woo-hoo!

gebs May 4, 2017 8:05 PM

This image was new to me:

https://assets.dnainfo.com/photo/201...extralarge.jpg

(via Curbed)

I know it's because of the interior lighting and time of day the rendering aims to capture, but this image really changes how the building looks from the previous images. I like this a lot more.