SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Marriott Marquis McCormick Place | 444' | 40 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=207501)

Mr Downtown Sep 24, 2013 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 6277190)
McHugh: make it look like we are duking it out for a few months, then finally, settle for a higher price, and you will be the hero for "saving" the taxpayers from a costly court battle

But eminent domain doesn't work like a negligence lawsuit. The eminent domain filing puts the parties straight into court, where the amount is set by a judge (or jury) based on expert testimony. It's not like months of discovery and dilatory pleadings are avoided or even possible. Neither side has much to gain from a "settlement."

Something's very funny about the city or McPier not having a purchase agreement on the McHugh data center parcel before ever hinting at the hotel location—unless McHugh wanted so much that McPier thinks the eminent domain price will be much, much less.

wierdaaron Sep 25, 2013 4:16 AM

So, for the uninitiated, what's the take on this kind of eminent domain claim? Is it legally/ethically legit, or slimy city tactics to grease the wheels of a lucrative business arrangement? Sounds like something mayor Kelsey Grammer would do.

Mr Downtown Sep 25, 2013 2:06 PM

Eminent domain, sometimes called expropriation in other English-speaking countries, is older than the nation, and the practice is limited by the Fifth Amendment, which requires "just compensation" when "private property [is] taken for public use." Historically this was used for government facilities: military installations, post offices, reservoirs, highways. But states in the 19th century also gave eminent domain power to railroads, utility companies, and the like; Illinois is one of the most generous. In the 1950s, new redevelopment authorities were given eminent domain power as well if there was a finding of "blight," and this is the sort of transfer from private owner to government to private owner that was challenged in Kelo. The Supreme Court declined to discover a new right in the Constitution to be protected from your own city council and state legislature, provoking howls from the same right-wing think tanks who usually decry just that sort of judicial activism. Sometime in the 1960s, probably connected to building of new superhighways, most states created "quick-take" eminent domain, where you give up the property immediately and get whatever a court decides is fair later.

McPier has quick-take eminent domain authority over a limited area: Cermak to I-55, Indiana to Metra Electric tracks plus 21st to Cermak, Indiana to Prairie.

So there's nothing at all sleazy or unusual about a government body taking property for construction of convention facilities. Much shadier things are done through the city's various redevelopment districts.

wierdaaron Sep 25, 2013 2:26 PM

Interesting. I've heard of using eminent domain for roads and bridges and electrical infrastructure stuff, but not for convention center expansion. It's easy to see the "greater good" argument about seizing land for a highway or power lines, but a convention center isn't so apparently in service of the community.

The Pimp Sep 25, 2013 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wierdaaron (Post 6279076)
Interesting. I've heard of using eminent domain for roads and bridges and electrical infrastructure stuff, but not for convention center expansion. It's easy to see the "greater good" argument about seizing land for a highway or power lines, but a convention center isn't so apparently in service of the community.

It makes all the sense in the world when you consider the "potential" tax revenue.

BVictor1 Dec 3, 2013 4:33 AM

http://www.gazettechicago.com/index/...s-in-jeopardy/

McCormick Entertainment District plan puts some local businesses in jeopardy

November 1, 2013

By Dolly Duplantier

Quote:

Mayor Rahm Emanuel and Metropolitan Pier and Exposition Authority (MPEA) officials unveiled the McCormick Place Entertainment District last May. The district forms part of Elevate Chicago, the City’s large-scale tourism and trade show infrastructure program.

Mayor Emanuel said projects in the district would inject millions of dollars into the local economy and create thousands of construction and full-time jobs. He added they would make an impact on the city for generations.

For Jerry Cooper, one of those projects, a 1,200-room hotel, may have a lasting impact on a business that has been in his family for generations. Cooper’s used hotel furniture store, Windy City Furniture, has been at 2221 S. Michigan Ave. on Motor Row for more than 20 years.

ardecila Dec 3, 2013 5:40 AM

McHugh: don't really care if they take a bath, the site is vacant

small businesses: more of a shame, but hopefully they are compensated fairly

BVictor1 Jan 22, 2014 12:19 AM

Just a friendly and relevant bump.

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a4...D720/ry%3D480/

wierdaaron Jan 22, 2014 12:35 AM

What do people expect the community reaction to be? I'd assume that unlike in Lincoln Park, they're pretty acclimated to the idea of giant corporate developments.

kemachs Jan 22, 2014 2:42 AM

Does anyone know anything about Alderman Dowell? Is she likely to cave to local nimbys if they make an appearance? I love that design for the Marriott, and if it gets watered down..... :hell:

BVictor1 Jan 22, 2014 4:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kemachs (Post 6416748)
Does anyone know anything about Alderman Dowell? Is she likely to cave to local nimbys if they make an appearance? I love that design for the Marriott, and if it gets watered down..... :hell:

Doubtful

J_M_Tungsten Jan 22, 2014 5:16 AM

Gives you the general idea of placement.
http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/t...a76d7cd3f0.jpg

Ch.G, Ch.G Jan 22, 2014 6:12 AM

I love your collages.

J_M_Tungsten Jan 22, 2014 1:16 PM

Thanks! :tup: I enjoy making them

LouisVanDerWright Jan 22, 2014 1:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 6416907)
Doubtful

Agreed. This is one of those projects where the Alderman is not really the one who gets to approve it. This is one handed down from on high by Emmanuel. Da Mare wants the project done, the project will get done.

Chi-Sky21 Jan 22, 2014 4:22 PM

How tall is the building next to the hotel in your collage? Just for a sense of scale. This building is going to be much taller than anything around there other than that other hotel. Should really stand out nicely coming into the city off I-55

Steely Dan Jan 22, 2014 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 (Post 6417424)
How tall is the building next to the hotel in your collage? Just for a sense of scale.

that's Lexington Park, it stands 35 floors / 388' tall.

at 53 floors, this new hotel tower will be considerably taller.

SamInTheLoop Jan 22, 2014 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 6417237)
Agreed. This is one of those projects where the Alderman is not really the one who gets to approve it. This is one handed down from on high by Emmanuel. Da Mare wants the project done, the project will get done.

I love how she is still trying to uphold the illusion however that she has any meaningful input whatsoever on this.....I love the few situations like this where aldermanic privelage does not apply (of course in Chicago in these situations, it's not planning/design experts that override, but an even more powerful politician!)

SamInTheLoop Jan 22, 2014 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 6416534)

Anyone know what's going on with the smaller, 600 room hotel (the one directly next to the arena)? Wonder why it's not mentioned? Is that to be built at some future date? I'd thought it was planned to move forward at the same time....

brian_b Jan 22, 2014 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 6417466)
I love how she is still trying to uphold the illusion however that she has any meaningful input whatsoever on this.

Yes, especially since this project is in Fioretti's 2nd ward until the remap goes into effect in 2015. ;)