SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

CrestedSaguaro Feb 8, 2019 4:29 PM

Looks great! Interesting that they have future apartments shown behind enHance. I wonder if enHance still plans to follow-up with phases 2 and 3 in the future or if True North is intending to purchase the lot?

The only gripe I have about the Ro2 development is the plan to abandon the alleyway for the office tower. I would much rather prefer 2 smaller towers...maybe staggered in height and keep the existing alley. It just bulks up the block too much and makes it less walk-able for the area IMO.

Obadno Feb 8, 2019 4:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8466243)
Looks great! Interesting that they have future apartments shown behind enHance. I wonder if enHance still plans to follow-up with phases 2 and 3 in the future or if True North is intending to purchase the lot?

The only gripe I have about the Ro2 development is the plan to abandon the alleyway for the office tower. I would much rather prefer 2 smaller towers...maybe staggered in height and keep the existing alley. It just bulks up the block too much and makes it less walk-able for the area IMO.

Enhance was always a 3 phase but I dont think the Condo's sold well so they haven't moved on to the other phases.

Some announced tenants I think is interesting, the hotel which I haven't heard of before and no Creative house tower as shown in some other renderings

CrestedSaguaro Feb 8, 2019 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8466280)
Enhance was always a 3 phase but I dont think the Condo's sold well so they haven't moved on to the other phases.

Some announced tenants I think is interesting, the hotel which I haven't heard of before and no Creative house tower as shown in some other renderings

I actually had that thought and it also shows the Maricopa building as office space, but no mention of future re-use use for it. Also, I swear the 4 story office was 7 floors in the other renderings we saw. I'm wondering if these are a little older?

azsunsurfer Feb 8, 2019 4:58 PM

Yes, but the Maricopa Building will still remain as "office" space after the reno so not sure what you were thinking?

biggus diggus Feb 8, 2019 4:59 PM

Don't hold your breath on enHance. They have a number of condos to sell and the feedback from buyers hasn't been good - the homeless population has been giving people buyer's remorse. They also don't have a whole lot of ties with architects and builders so getting things in order has been tough for them. At this point they aren't feeling very confident.

ASU Diablo Feb 8, 2019 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DowntownCosmo (Post 8406537)
I found project plans for the Ro2 development. The plan includes two high rise office buildings. It also looks like the creative tower is still in play. They just moved to between 1st and 2nd street. The Ro2 certainly looks like an awesome development though.

https://a.storyblok.com/f/43638/x/22...st-ro2-opt.pdf

Here is the Ro2 plan. And here is the 7-story rendering Ronnie was talking about...I like this one better

https://i.ibb.co/0XW0ybj/RO27-Office.png

DesertRay Feb 8, 2019 6:01 PM

Changing texture of the neighborhood

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8466307)
Don't hold your breath on enHance. They have a number of condos to sell and the feedback from buyers hasn't been good - the homeless population has been giving people buyer's remorse. They also don't have a whole lot of ties with architects and builders so getting things in order has been tough for them. At this point they aren't feeling very confident.

EnHance was the first-mover on that side of Hance Park. With the new apartments popping up to the north of EnHance, and the building to the south, I'm guessing that the developer will sell that land at the higher price. The homeless are still there, but they are starting to squeeze into other places as more affluent people move in.

CrestedSaguaro Feb 8, 2019 6:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRay (Post 8466454)
EnHance was the first-mover on that side of Hance Park. With the new apartments popping up to the north of EnHance, and the building to the south, I'm guessing that the developer will sell that land at the higher price. The homeless are still there, but they are starting to squeeze into other places as more affluent people move in.

I'm already seeing noticeably less homeless on my walks through Hance Park. I would imagine when Portrait comes online, there will be even less in the area.

biggus diggus Feb 8, 2019 6:25 PM

There likely won't be fewer homeless in the area, but there will be more people in general which will make it seem like there are fewer.

Obadno Feb 8, 2019 6:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by biggus diggus (Post 8466525)
There likely won't be fewer homeless in the area, but there will be more people in general which will make it seem like there are fewer.

Idk about that homeless people tend to collect where their arent a lot of people if Hance park gets busier homeless people will move off to quieter places.

Not to mention more people to call the police and generally complain about the problem

biggus diggus Feb 8, 2019 6:49 PM

I spend a lot of time in Chicago which has an enormous homeless population. In the winter it seems far worse because not as many tourists and people in general are on the streets. In the summer it seems like Chicago doesn't have any homeless, they just blend in.

NathanaelGreene Feb 8, 2019 7:00 PM

CityNorth

[QUOTE=azsunsurfer;8466188]There is a different rendering on the website but here is the other renderings I thought were recent for the next office phase of CityNorth/ High Street

Which website has a rendering of the next phase of CityNorth?

Obadno Feb 8, 2019 8:31 PM

Did we go over this?

Apparently the lot Next to the old Spaghetti wanted to increase heights from 75 feet to 180 from the current 75. WAS REJECTED.

Seems weird when its within a stones throw

https://downtowndevil.com/2019/02/06...entral-daniel/

Quote:

The Phoenix City Council’s Planning and Economic Development Subcommittee voted on Tuesday to indefinitely postpone changing a height restriction on a land parcel at Central Avenue and Willetta Street.

The vote follows a recommendation for disapproval for the change from the Central City Village Planning Committee and a recommendation for approval from the Phoenix Planning Commission.

The parcel is an undeveloped lot located at the two streets’ northwest corner south of the Old Spaghetti Factory restaurant. To accomplish the height change, the text of the Downtown Code would need an amendment.

The owner, Madot Ventures LLC, wishes to change the height restriction from 75 feet to a staggered design with a restriction of 40 feet at the west end of the lot, increasing to 150 feet in the middle and 180 feet at the east end.

“The reason we do that is to help the sight lines, so people that are living right up next to the project are not right up against a 180-foot building,” said Heather Dukes, Madot Ventures’ attorney.

Dukes said the requested change to the height restriction helps promote Phoenix’s plans to increase urban density. She said that with the parcel’s proximity to the light rail, she believes the height increase will allow greater density in the area to support downtown’s growth.

The subcommittee voted to continue the process of changing the height for an indefinite amount of time. Subcommittee member and City Councilman Michael Nowakowski voiced his concerns about the lack of a proposed project for the site.

“When there is a tenant or a project in place, we can bring it back and have that conversation,” Nowakowski said.

Due to the abnormal process to change the height restriction because of the Downtown Code, Dukes said, the process of finding a developer for the land is difficult. She said she could not provide an assurance of what would be built.

Nowakowski then commented that while the subcommittee could not immediately stop the requested amendment process, he believed the height restriction would stay at 75 feet.

Andie Abkarian, president of the Roosevelt Action Association, also expressed concern about changing the height restrictions. She said that while her organization supports high-density growth, including projects currently in development, she believes the development needs to be consistent with the character of a specific area.

She also took issue with making an amendment to the code’s text.

“The process is rigid and it’s meant to be rigid. And the process needs to continue to be rigid, regardless of individual circumstances,” Abkarian said.

She said the code was developed carefully over the course of seven years, with the input of thousands of stakeholders, an urban design and planning team and the Phoenix City Council. She said it would be dangerous to make the process easier to amend the code.

Phxguy Feb 8, 2019 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8466770)
Did we go over this?

Apparently the lot Next to the old Spaghetti wanted to increase heights from 75 feet to 180 from the current 75. WAS REJECTED.

Ugh....and then residents on 7th St complain when height is proposed near them citing, "keep the high-rises on Central Ave." It's an endless loop of insanity in a town with a phobia of multi-story buildings.

*cough cough the "Tower" that must not be named*

CrestedSaguaro Feb 8, 2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8466770)
Did we go over this?

Someone mentioned it Wednesday. It's honestly, really silly. The 180' would have only been directly next to Central and the first 30' of the lot. The height then would have been decreased to just 40' against the houses on the backside of the lot. So now, they would rather have a 75' building against their property line than a 40' building? I now hope they build something at 75' all the way up to the fence. Lesson learned.

PHXFlyer11 Feb 8, 2019 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8466970)
Someone mentioned it Wednesday. It's honestly, really silly. The 180' would have only been directly next to Central and the first 30' of the lot. The height then would have been decreased to just 40' against the houses on the backside of the lot. So now, they would rather have a 75' building against their property line than a 40' building? I now hope they build something at 75' all the way up to the fence. Lesson learned.

From what i understand... this was not approved because there was no real project. I thought the direction was to bring this back with a real project requiring the elevation then they'd consider it. Am i reading this wrong?

DesertRay Feb 9, 2019 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 8466998)
From what i understand... this was not approved because there was no real project. I thought the direction was to bring this back with a real project requiring the elevation then they'd consider it. Am i reading this wrong?

The developer didn't show. :shrug:

Classical in Phoenix Feb 9, 2019 8:09 PM

Rode by One Camelback today. Looks like remodel to condos is going on. Windows in SW portion of building are out.

Obadno Feb 11, 2019 2:35 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...aurant-to.html

The building that used to be home to downtown Phoenix staple restaurant Sing High Chop Suey House will be converted into offices.

Rajan Hansji bought the half-acre property in February 2018 for $2.3 million and Sing High Chop Suey continued to operate there until September.

“We always knew we would have to find another use,” Hansji said. Since the restaurant closed, they have demolished the inside of the two-story building to divide it into office suites.

“There is a need for smaller type spaces downtown,” Hansji said.

Jerry Jacobs, executive managing director of Newmark Knight Frank who is the exclusive adviser for the 9,700-square-foot building, said demand for space is very strong downtown, and the facility offers plenty of parking for office tenants.

“The identity is really good, a lot of people know the building,” Jacobs said. “Interest there has been pretty steady.”

The building’s first tenant, Downtown Physical Therapy, has already signed on and plans to move into the new space this summer.

Steve Thomas, the owner of Downtown Physical Therapy, said the area offers him a good opportunity to provide sports rehabilitation to residents and office workers in the neighborhood. He worked in another clinic in Arcadia for 10 years before deciding to start his own clinic.

Thomas said he will start with one full time employee at the clinic, which he hopes will attract both serious athletes and other clients looking to do rehabilitation after injuries.

As part of the tenant improvements for the clinic, Hansji will be updating the “core space” to create a lobby and restroom area. The other suites in the building are available for lease.

exit2lef Feb 11, 2019 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8469263)
https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...aurant-to.html

The building that used to be home to downtown Phoenix staple restaurant Sing High Chop Suey House will be converted into offices.

Rajan Hansji bought the half-acre property in February 2018 for $2.3 million and Sing High Chop Suey continued to operate there until September.

“We always knew we would have to find another use,” Hansji said. Since the restaurant closed, they have demolished the inside of the two-story building to divide it into office suites.

“There is a need for smaller type spaces downtown,” Hansji said.

Jerry Jacobs, executive managing director of Newmark Knight Frank who is the exclusive adviser for the 9,700-square-foot building, said demand for space is very strong downtown, and the facility offers plenty of parking for office tenants.

“The identity is really good, a lot of people know the building,” Jacobs said. “Interest there has been pretty steady.”

The building’s first tenant, Downtown Physical Therapy, has already signed on and plans to move into the new space this summer.

Steve Thomas, the owner of Downtown Physical Therapy, said the area offers him a good opportunity to provide sports rehabilitation to residents and office workers in the neighborhood. He worked in another clinic in Arcadia for 10 years before deciding to start his own clinic.

Thomas said he will start with one full time employee at the clinic, which he hopes will attract both serious athletes and other clients looking to do rehabilitation after injuries.

As part of the tenant improvements for the clinic, Hansji will be updating the “core space” to create a lobby and restroom area. The other suites in the building are available for lease.

Mixed feelings about this. A vibrant downtown has to be about more than restaurants, so seeing other uses is good. On the other hand, I always wished someone would buy the Sing High building and name and resurrect it as a much better place with edible food and retro cocktails. I don't miss the old Sing High at all, though.