SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: ORD & MDW discussion (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87889)

Rizzo Aug 18, 2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7863480)
^ Disappointing to build this thing with such a big distance between the APM and Metra stop. Even if there's no immediate opportunity for better Metra service, this is incredibly shortsighted. Flipping the site plan doesn't seem like it would have increased cost significantly... now if they ever plan a transit center here, it will have to rely on moving sidewalks like Midway.

Also a little disappointed that the "spiral" ramps are being built with faceted sides. Those things are kinda sexy when built right, as we all know from JHC and Trump...

Metra proximity and faceted ramps, literally same thing I was thinking haha

eleven=11 Aug 19, 2017 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 7896771)
The Maps are new again-(wiki&google maps)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosemont_station_(Metra)
what are they building near this station
south of the new ballpark?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_Dogs

Kngkyle Aug 30, 2017 12:01 AM

July was the second busiest month ever at O'Hare in terms of total passengers with 7.5 million. International was at 1.3 million, the highest month ever, while domestic was 6.2 million, the second highest month ever. August and September could be even higher given the impact of Harvey on United's IAH operations (connecting pax to be rerouted through other hubs)

denizen467 Aug 30, 2017 9:06 AM

^ Although, is July always the busiest of the year? Adding in the rest of the months of this year will most certainly not result in a number as high as 12 x 7.5 = 90.

How are the aircraft movement numbers? Are we finally going to crack 1 million this year (first time for any airport in the history of the world I suppose)? I believe NE cargo came online quite recently -- there should be a noticeable jump in cargo flights going forward.

spyguy Sep 24, 2017 6:57 PM

Some recent photos of the new L Stinger

k1052 Sep 25, 2017 2:23 PM

Going to be nice to get most of the 175s out of the mainline H/K gates this spring.

I'm hoping whatever deals get done the LCCs move out of the L concourse and they totally rehab it. It's a cramped madhouse most of the time.

Kngkyle Sep 25, 2017 11:52 PM

O'Hare ranked #1 in the Western Hemisphere for most connected megahub both internationally & domestically.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...ions-in-the-us

N830MH Sep 26, 2017 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 7931925)
Some recent photos of the new L Stinger

Wow! Very interesting to this. Thanks for sharing this. They hasn't constructed new gates in 2 decades. Gosh! That's too long!

I think it's time to start renovated the entire T2. It is time to start construction new CBP facility at entire T2. UA/AA will relocated to T2.

kbud Sep 27, 2017 6:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 7933219)
Wow! Very interesting to this. Thanks for sharing this. They hasn't constructed new gates in 2 decades. Gosh! That's too long!

I think it's time to start renovated the entire T2. It is time to start construction new CBP facility at entire T2. UA/AA will relocated to T2.

Isn't the renovated / expanded T2 project and gate lease program supposed to be announced this year? It is nice to see something new, but people this is ORD not some regional midwest city. The world and many other US cities' airport facilities have passed what was once a glorified global airport. Now it's just regional jet heaven. I hope we can see a plan that builds infrastructure to be a worldclass airport again.

News flash... Oh, it's just United announcing service to Cape Girardeau and Quincy...

maru2501 Sep 27, 2017 10:20 PM

charlotte douglas is 3?

seems weird. I would assume an NYC airport would be up there

N830MH Sep 28, 2017 1:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 7935309)
charlotte douglas is 3?

seems weird. I would assume an NYC airport would be up there

Actually, NYC airports is very worst. It's very bad airports. Too extremely overcrowded. The flight is always delays all the times. Due to congestion.

emathias Sep 28, 2017 7:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 7866384)
^ Everyone complains about this but still I don't agree. I think saving 15 minutes is less important than clearing off the table pain points like crime, panhandlers, urine, breakdowns, earsplitting tunnel noise, vague timetables, unintelligible passenger announcements, drunken revelers or rowdy weekenders, being simply too packed to allow more passengers, and general unreliability, since airport trips normally require assurance of timeliness, safety, and some modicum of cleanliness and comfort. However, it is true that, to some extent, you could accomplish this just with comfortable purpose-built carriages running along the Blue Line with no stops and controlled platform entry at each terminus. So this Metra station routing may offer limited advantages over that, such as Ogilvie being a more desirable and workable downtown terminus compared to Clark/Lake, and the absence of line stoppages due to police action or malfunctions.

If it's not express from a time standpoint, you're not competing against the 'L', you're competing against taxis, Uber, and other car services,

I think making an Express that DOESN'T use the L system in parts is kind of silly, personally. My napkin estimates put the cost of using Block 37, the West portals between Clark/Lake and Grand, a deep tunnel straight shot to Logan Square & Belmont and then elevated or parallel tracks with one addition stop at Jefferson Park would be $1.8 and $2.3 billion, which seems comparable to other options and allows you to easily also run to McCormick.

BVictor1 Sep 29, 2017 1:22 PM

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...s-a-sneak-peek

September 29, 2017
The new O'Hare: Here's a sneak peek

GREG HINZ ON POLITICS

Quote:

City Hall is lifting the veil on how O'Hare International Airport's redesigned and expanded passenger terminals are likely to look, and there will be a lot of new real estate at the airfield's already huge but overcrowded ground facilities.

In a presentation this morning to the Economic Club, Aviation Commissioner Ginger Evans was expected to release a near-final expansion design that calls for construction of a huge new international terminal with customs facilities where the now solely domestic Terminal 2 now stands. Also on the drawing board: Expansion of Terminal 1, where O'Hare's largest carrier, United Airlines, now is based.

The plan—a tweaked version of a proposal Crain's wrote about last winter —was quietly submitted to the Federal Aviation Administration earlier this year after the city and O'Hare's carriers agreed to it, according to the city's Department of Aviation. Assuming the feds sign off on it, the plan is expected to guide construction over the next decade, though details about cost-sharing and who gets which gates are still being negotiated with the carriers, in hopes of reaching a deal by yearend.

Evans was not available for interview in advance of her appearance this morning and aides did not provide many details. But a source close to the matter says the plan overall will expand O'Hare's concourse frontage by roughly 20 percent, allowing the addition of about 30 standard-sized gates, up from the 185 gates it now has. That expansion includes an already announced three-gate addition on L concourse for American Airlines regional jets, as well as a nine-gate expansion in Terminal 5, the current international terminal.

trvlr70 Sep 29, 2017 1:42 PM

Just looking at the schematic, United looks to be the real winner here with gate space. Even if Delta and othesr moved from Terminal 3's L concourse to T5, AA isn't really adding that much space.

k1052 Sep 29, 2017 2:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trvlr70 (Post 7937023)
Just looking at the schematic, United looks to be the real winner here with gate space. Even if Delta and othesr moved from Terminal 3's L concourse to T5, AA isn't really adding that much space.

Well United looks to loose their T2 gates so the net gain for them may not be as big as it appears, though it does seem a sizable expansion.

Kinda figured when AA put that new club in the L concourse that they envisioned taking it over eventually. Between that and the (apparently) to be expanded stinger concourse they'll pick up a fair number of gates. Probably more importantly be able to efficiently use their H/K terminal space for additional widebody jets.

trvlr70 Sep 29, 2017 2:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1052 (Post 7937050)
Well United looks to loose their T2 gates so the net gain for them may not be as big as it appears, though it does seem a sizable expansion.

Kinda figured when AA put that new club in the L concourse that they envisioned taking it over eventually. Between that and the (apparently) to be expanded stinger concourse they'll pick up a fair number of gates. Probably more importantly be able to efficiently use their H/K terminal space for additional widebody jets.

And we can't forget that AA's international widebody flights will also relocate to the combined new international gates (which I think are satellite gates).

k1052 Sep 29, 2017 2:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trvlr70 (Post 7937063)
And we can't forget that AA's international widebody flights will also relocate to the combined new international gates (which I think are satellite gates).

Not the departures. They didn't invest all that money in a huge flagship lounge and new admiral's club for nothing. All the odd numbered K gates will serivice international departures on their own metal, several do already.

Kngkyle Sep 29, 2017 3:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1052 (Post 7937108)
Not the departures. They didn't invest all that money in a huge flagship lounge and new admiral's club for nothing. All the odd numbered K gates will serivice international departures on their own metal, several do already.

Absolutely the departures as well. The new T2 is at least 10 years away. You act as if those swanky new lounges won't be obsolete in 5 years let alone 10.

k1052 Sep 29, 2017 3:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kngkyle (Post 7937133)
Absolutely the departures as well. The new T2 is at least 10 years away. You act as if those swanky new lounges won't be obsolete in 5 years let alone 10.

AA has almost this exact situation at LAX and, to my knowledge, their international departures will always be out of their own terminals. Will be the same here.

Kngkyle Sep 29, 2017 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by k1052 (Post 7937171)
AA has almost this exact situation at LAX and, to my knowledge, their international departures will always be out of their own terminals. Will be the same here.

I would bet my first born against that. The half of T2 near T3 will be their own terminal and the half of T2 near T1 will be United's own terminal. All gates in the new T2 will be leased by either UA or AA; not common-use like T5. This is about how I can see it being split between AA/UA:

https://i.imgur.com/hwGE48Y.png