SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 875 FT & 765 FT | ? & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

joeg1985 Jun 3, 2016 11:53 PM

Wow that is really impressive. That would be a way awesome conciliation prize for the site.

UPChicago Jun 4, 2016 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeg1985 (Post 7462739)
Wow that is really impressive. That would be a way awesome conciliation prize for the site.

Even though this design is not likely in any way being considered by Related Midway as an actual proposal (disclaimer), I think if it were a real proposal it would never be considered a conciliation prize because it is, in my opinion, a better, more fitting design than the Chicago Spire ever was. The stiletto needs major refinement or removal to be honest.

Domer2019 Jun 4, 2016 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 7462755)
Even though this design is not likely in any way being considered by Related Midway as an actual proposal (disclaimer), I think if it were a real proposal it would never be considered a conciliation prize because it is, in my opinion, a better, more fitting design than the Chicago Spire ever was. The stiletto needs major refinement or removal to be honest.

Yeah, the color/texture/material difference rubs me the wrong way. And I think the fact that it goes over LSD means that there's a lot of untapped potential


Edit: and I'll repeat my seemingly deleted sentiment that the form could use refinement and looks quite basic at the moment. I suppose it complements Aon and Vista well in this iteration's blockiness though (and Trump too in that panoramic lake render)

pip Jun 4, 2016 4:05 AM

Hey I got to say I got a good laugh out of the Friends of The Pit talk and other talk like that

denizen467 Jun 4, 2016 8:53 AM

I doubt the Calatrava design's caissons can handle lateral loads like this, so there would presumably need to be some very significant work below grade.

But the outboard piers would probably be a terror risk anyway, so, yep, "conceptual."

A great neighborhood for an observation deck though, so I hope they keep going down this track.

BVictor1 Jun 4, 2016 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 7463003)
I doubt the Calatrava design's caissons can handle lateral loads like this, so there would presumably need to be some very significant work below grade.

But the outboard piers would probably be a terror risk anyway, so, yep, "conceptual."

A great neighborhood for an observation deck though, so I hope they keep going down this track.

The 14 main/super caissons that were to support the Spire are 10-12' diameter and go down about 120' into bedrock. The remaining caissons go down about 90' into hardpan clay.

For memories and references...

Video Link

Video Link

aaron38 Jun 4, 2016 6:43 PM

Leaving aside whether they could build in DuSable park, how can a tower be built over LSD? An active construction site over an expressway? What if something fell?

I know this is a thought exercise, but isn't that part of it?

harryc Jun 4, 2016 7:13 PM

5/19
 



Tom Servo Jun 5, 2016 10:41 PM

Let's all be real. The only thing that will ever be built on this site will be some generic 500' apartment building. Just look at Related's portfolio (some of the worst buildings in the city).
[UNSOURCED IMAGE REMOVED]

So let's not get big dicks over a fantasy (albeit AMAZING) design.

chris08876 Jun 6, 2016 12:12 AM

^^^^

Am I the only one on ssp who actually likes the Park Tower and One Bennett?

Both are stunning designs IMO. Especially One Bennett Park.

But I will say this, a 500' tower on this plot is a sacrilege. A monumental waste of space. This location hopefully in time will host something iconic. :fingerscrossed:

Domer2019 Jun 6, 2016 1:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7464071)
^^^^

Am I the only one on ssp who actually likes the Park Tower and One Bennett?

Both are stunning designs IMO. Especially One Bennett Park.

But I will say this, a 500' tower on this plot is a sacrilege. A monumental waste of space. This location hopefully in time will host something iconic. :fingerscrossed:

SSP has a hate boner for One Bennett, but yeah, I like Park Tower and One Bennett does have potential to look great. I also like 111 Wacker, as quirky as it is. Nonetheless, it's totally silly to call those buildings (above) some of the worst in the city (OMP's crown is it's own discussion).

If the economics line up, there's no reason why they should have to think small or be gimmicky.

Le Baron Jun 6, 2016 12:01 PM

not trying to defend related, but they weren't the original developer of the three buildings on the right.

Steely Dan Jun 6, 2016 1:37 PM

* moderator edit *

the off topic city vs. city crap has been deleted.

off topic city vs. city crap will always be deleted.

ChiTownWonder Jun 6, 2016 9:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 7464145)
I agree, not all Related's stuff is that bad.

The one proposal with the 800 and 1000 foot tower looked pretty decent

Yes I agree Related can build decent towers.

The two tower proposal looks ok because there is nothing it can really mess up on, its way too safe. this lot is the perfect opportunity to create a landmark tower, or even THE landmark tower of Chicago.

Ryan81 Jun 7, 2016 4:09 PM

From Today:

http://www.dezeen.com/2016/06/07/gen...go-spire-site/

UPChicago Jun 7, 2016 4:24 PM

Clearly the writers of those articles neglected to mention that the design is not a concrete proposal......

The more I see the crutches the more I hate the idea, too gimmicky and doesn't deserve to be included on an otherwise potentially iconic structure.

Steely Dan Jun 7, 2016 4:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 7466034)
Clearly the writers of those articles neglected to mention that the design is not a concrete proposal......

it's even less than that.

it's not a proposal at all.

it's an in-house design exercise.

headcase Jun 7, 2016 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 7466034)
Clearly the writers of those articles neglected to mention that the design is not a concrete proposal......

The more I see the crutches the more I hate the idea, too gimmicky and doesn't deserve to be included on an otherwise potentially iconic structure.

If the crutches were just crutches, I may agree...but as they are integral to the idea of activating the structure and are integral to the idea of bringing revenue in from multiple sources, I think they are pretty cool. Certainly a lot better than whatever will eventually be built on the site.

SSDD

UPChicago Jun 7, 2016 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by headcase (Post 7466094)
If the crutches were just crutches, I may agree...but as they are integral to the idea of activating the structure and are integral to the idea of bringing revenue in from multiple sources, I think they are pretty cool. Certainly a lot better than whatever will eventually be built on the site.

SSDD

If the carnival ride was enclosed and more elegant I would be for it, but since it probably would not be feasible anyways, I would prefer perhaps an elegant trench or tunnel under Lake Shore Drive with some sort of screening for the Drive itself.

Tom Servo Jun 7, 2016 7:57 PM

https://static.dezeen.com/uploads/20...1-899x1024.jpg
dezeen

Ugh. If only. :(

maru2501 Jun 7, 2016 8:37 PM

yeah that's pretty insanely cool in that spot

hopefully that kind of pie-in-the-sky exercise helps reinforce to Related that the section of the populace that is knowing and caring on such matters expects a signature structure there.

at least they have said they wish to do something architecturally significant, whatever it is that means to them...

JK47 Jun 8, 2016 6:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcp (Post 7466753)
Uhhhh... cross braces, the city planners better squash it...

It's cool, even realistic for a fantasy project.


Yes...plus they seem to have forgotten to use blue glass. Insanity.

harryc Jun 12, 2016 2:09 PM

6/10




Not just a hole - the site has a 70-80' deep wall around the perimeter - here a bit of the Northern secant wall pokes up.



chris08876 Jun 18, 2016 2:44 PM

Extra Diagrams:

https://cdn1.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho...y%20tower1.png

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho...20gateway1.png

https://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho...20gateway3.png

https://cdn3.vox-cdn.com/uploads/cho...20gateway4.png
Credit: Chicagocurbed

ethereal_reality Jun 18, 2016 8:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 7471760)
6/10

I didn't realize the site looks like that now. Thanks for the update HarryC.

Reinsdorf Sucks Jul 23, 2016 3:38 PM

Seems Gensler wasn't invited to the big boy table for real proposals then. Good on them for trying to get their foot in the door though. :cheers:

BVictor1 Jul 24, 2016 5:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks (Post 7510849)
Seems Gensler wasn't invited to the big boy table for real proposals then. Good on them for trying to get their foot in the door though. :cheers:

Just in-house fun by the firm.

SamInTheLoop Jul 25, 2016 1:39 AM

^ Yes, but I also think it was a concerted effort to get Related's attention and perhaps a commission.

Gensler's far too corporate for my tastes, however that is not to say they don't also put out some nice work.....

HomrQT Jul 26, 2016 8:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks (Post 7510849)
Seems Gensler wasn't invited to the big boy table for real proposals then. Good on them for trying to get their foot in the door though. :cheers:

So this proposal wasn't real?

Kumdogmillionaire Jul 26, 2016 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 7513463)
So this proposal wasn't real?

It's real in that it has been thought up, but it is not backed by Related(yet)

LouisVanDerWright Jul 26, 2016 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 7513463)
So this proposal wasn't real?

It's actually almost 50% complete now, didn't you notice the huge 20 story beams they were hoisting over LSD a couple of weeks ago?

harryc Jul 27, 2016 1:11 AM

July 11
 

Busy Bee Jul 27, 2016 4:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7513532)
It's actually almost 50% complete now, didn't you notice the huge 20 story beams they were hoisting over LSD a couple of weeks ago?

Well whats reality anyway? I mean Donald Trump... Donald Trump forchristsake.

ChiTownWonder Aug 2, 2016 3:33 PM

love how the gateway tower is listed as proposed on the diagrams and database :haha:

TallBob Aug 2, 2016 5:12 PM

What's the chance of this getting built?

Steely Dan Aug 2, 2016 5:13 PM

^ one in a million

LouisVanDerWright Aug 2, 2016 7:20 PM

Wait so they are finally completing the original Spire? Sweet.

Tom In Chicago Aug 2, 2016 11:48 PM

Locking this thread. . . nothing to see here. . .

. . .

Reinsdorf Sucks Oct 18, 2016 3:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 7595707)
Im not getting too excited yet about this tower, dont want to get my hopes up for yet another Chicago Spire situation.

Coincidentally, this tower will prevent 400 N LSD from being a supertall.

Steely Dan Oct 18, 2016 3:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks (Post 7596693)
Coincidentally, this tower will prevent 400 N LSD from being a supertall.

huh?

explain.

Reinsdorf Sucks Oct 18, 2016 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7596695)
huh?

explain.

I would think this project puts a nice dent in demand?

Now that this has officially broken ground, and Related Midwest hasn't finalized a design, I would imagine they're re-thinking things.

Steely Dan Oct 18, 2016 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks (Post 7596730)
I would think this project puts a nice dent in demand?

it certainly could, but that is by no means a forgone conclusion.

who knows how long related is going to sit on that land for? they might just sit this entire cycle out.

until related actually releases a plan for what they propose to do with that plot, it's ALL just speculation.

there is nothing that i am aware of that would automatically prevent 400 N LSD from being a supertall.

Ryanrule Oct 18, 2016 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reinsdorf Sucks (Post 7596730)
I would think this project puts a nice dent in demand?

Now that this has officially broken ground, and Related Midwest hasn't finalized a design, I would imagine they're re-thinking things.

Related will not be allowed to build some crap "luxury" rental tower there.

chicagoisepic Oct 20, 2016 1:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7596734)
it certainly could, but that is by no means a forgone conclusion.

who knows how long related is going to sit on that land for? they might just sit this entire cycle out.

until related actually releases a plan for what they propose to do with that plot, it's ALL just speculation.

there is nothing that i am aware of that would automatically prevent 400 N LSD from being a supertall.

I don't remember where I read it, but if I remember correctly Related will be revealing their preliminary plans for 400 N LSD and the huge field south of Riverline in early 2017.

sentinel Oct 21, 2016 4:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bcp (Post 7599255)
Related is not an egomaniac kind of developer.... expect high quality and good design, but it won't get sucked into a height competition unless it pencils out the best...which I'd doubt.

There was recently a news blurb about Related hiring a senior partner from SOM (?) who has experience working on supertall projects, and will oversee design/coordination with both the Spire site and the massive site south of Roosevelt. I think they'll looking for both quality design AND something pretty tall, for the Spire site...especially considering that the existing foundation was completed, and can support a pretty tall high-rise.

I can't find that article, I think it was from Crain's...help?

Skyguy_7 Oct 21, 2016 4:36 PM

^Ask and you shall receive, sir

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...uth-loop-sites

sentinel Oct 21, 2016 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 7599979)

That's it, thank you!

LouisVanDerWright Oct 21, 2016 6:38 PM

The value of the foundation work on this site is probably more than the land value, maybe two or three times it. As much as I think Related Midwest are a bunch of pansies, I also think they are shrewd businessmen and know that 25% of a very large and tall building is already in the mud. They are going to max the far out on this site whether it's via a 1200, 1500 or 2000' building.

Id love to see them grow some balls and make a real statement here, but that's probably too much to ask. Maybe Stephan Ross is getting blue balls not being able to go as tall as he wants in NIMBY York City and will use this site as an outlet for his ego.

intrepidDesign Oct 21, 2016 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7600139)
The value of the foundation work on this site is probably more than the land value, maybe two or three times it. As much as I think Related Midwest are a bunch of pansies, I also think they are shrewd businessmen and know that 25% of a very large and tall building is already in the mud. They are going to max the far out on this site whether it's via a 1200, 1500 or 2000' building.

Id love to see them grow some balls and make a real statement here, but that's probably too much to ask. Maybe Stephan Ross is getting blue balls not being able to go as tall as he wants in NIMBY York City and will use this site as an outlet for his ego.

If that was the case why didn't they finish going supertall at 111 W Wacker? Not only was the foundation in place, but 1/4 of the building was out of the mud. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath for something earth shattering here.

sentinel Oct 21, 2016 8:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intrepidDesign (Post 7600232)
If that was the case why didn't they finish going supertall at 111 W Wacker? Not only was the foundation in place, but 1/4 of the building was out of the mud. I hope I'm wrong, but I'm not holding my breath for something earth shattering here.

Very different economic times though, which can be easy to forget (possibly deliberately, as I'm sure no ones wants to remember that time in history..)

Personally, I would be very happy with a beautifully designed 1,300 - 1,500', mixed-use megatall.


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:45 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.