SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 875 FT & 765 FT | ? & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

Steely Dan Apr 9, 2016 12:24 PM

I moved all of the MB skyneedle posts to the MB skyneedle thread:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=149188

Steely Dan Apr 10, 2016 7:42 PM

Thread will reopen if/when there's actual news.

r18tdi Jun 3, 2016 5:11 PM

http://chicago.curbed.com/2016/6/3/1...-gateway-tower

:eek:

Via Chicago Jun 3, 2016 5:15 PM

key word: conceptual

UPChicago Jun 3, 2016 5:46 PM

....... looks like its on crutches, eliminate that and its solid..

Notyrview Jun 3, 2016 6:25 PM

If only we had some fairy dust, a big ass bag of it.

jpIllInoIs Jun 3, 2016 6:32 PM

FOTP (PIT) have already filed the lawsuit!!:hell:

maru2501 Jun 3, 2016 6:55 PM

pave dusable park and make it a parking lot to appease them

r18tdi Jun 3, 2016 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpIllInoIs (Post 7462371)
FOTP (PIT) have already filed the lawsuit!!:hell:

Friends of the Pit! Love it :notacrook:

XIII Jun 3, 2016 8:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 7462423)
Friends of the Pit! Love it :notacrook:

Monty Ward used to look out of his office and admire that pit: "forever free, open and clear". We need to uphold his vision for a pitted Chicago and preserve our sacred urban blights before they are all stolen from the people by private interests.

joeg1985 Jun 3, 2016 11:53 PM

Wow that is really impressive. That would be a way awesome conciliation prize for the site.

UPChicago Jun 4, 2016 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeg1985 (Post 7462739)
Wow that is really impressive. That would be a way awesome conciliation prize for the site.

Even though this design is not likely in any way being considered by Related Midway as an actual proposal (disclaimer), I think if it were a real proposal it would never be considered a conciliation prize because it is, in my opinion, a better, more fitting design than the Chicago Spire ever was. The stiletto needs major refinement or removal to be honest.

Domer2019 Jun 4, 2016 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 7462755)
Even though this design is not likely in any way being considered by Related Midway as an actual proposal (disclaimer), I think if it were a real proposal it would never be considered a conciliation prize because it is, in my opinion, a better, more fitting design than the Chicago Spire ever was. The stiletto needs major refinement or removal to be honest.

Yeah, the color/texture/material difference rubs me the wrong way. And I think the fact that it goes over LSD means that there's a lot of untapped potential


Edit: and I'll repeat my seemingly deleted sentiment that the form could use refinement and looks quite basic at the moment. I suppose it complements Aon and Vista well in this iteration's blockiness though (and Trump too in that panoramic lake render)

pip Jun 4, 2016 4:05 AM

Hey I got to say I got a good laugh out of the Friends of The Pit talk and other talk like that

denizen467 Jun 4, 2016 8:53 AM

I doubt the Calatrava design's caissons can handle lateral loads like this, so there would presumably need to be some very significant work below grade.

But the outboard piers would probably be a terror risk anyway, so, yep, "conceptual."

A great neighborhood for an observation deck though, so I hope they keep going down this track.

BVictor1 Jun 4, 2016 6:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 7463003)
I doubt the Calatrava design's caissons can handle lateral loads like this, so there would presumably need to be some very significant work below grade.

But the outboard piers would probably be a terror risk anyway, so, yep, "conceptual."

A great neighborhood for an observation deck though, so I hope they keep going down this track.

The 14 main/super caissons that were to support the Spire are 10-12' diameter and go down about 120' into bedrock. The remaining caissons go down about 90' into hardpan clay.

For memories and references...

Video Link

Video Link

aaron38 Jun 4, 2016 6:43 PM

Leaving aside whether they could build in DuSable park, how can a tower be built over LSD? An active construction site over an expressway? What if something fell?

I know this is a thought exercise, but isn't that part of it?

harryc Jun 4, 2016 7:13 PM

5/19
 



Tom Servo Jun 5, 2016 10:41 PM

Let's all be real. The only thing that will ever be built on this site will be some generic 500' apartment building. Just look at Related's portfolio (some of the worst buildings in the city).
[UNSOURCED IMAGE REMOVED]

So let's not get big dicks over a fantasy (albeit AMAZING) design.

chris08876 Jun 6, 2016 12:12 AM

^^^^

Am I the only one on ssp who actually likes the Park Tower and One Bennett?

Both are stunning designs IMO. Especially One Bennett Park.

But I will say this, a 500' tower on this plot is a sacrilege. A monumental waste of space. This location hopefully in time will host something iconic. :fingerscrossed:


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.