SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 875 FT & 765 FT | ? & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

Zapatan Feb 18, 2016 7:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomarandlee (Post 7340485)
Is the location that obvious for a masterpiece though? I was always skepitcial how much it really is. It isn't thst close to the Mag Mile or RN where much of the great shopping/dining is. You aren't that close to the cultural attraction s of the Loop or your office of you are a professional. You aren't even getting the best views of the River corridor IMO which run from Michigan to Lake.

Yea, you get great lake views and are close to the lake front path but that isn't that unique.

For those out on their boats on the lake or driving down LSD yea this is a prime spot but I can think of a handful of others I would think of as more attractive as a potential resident.

I was referring more to it's impact on the skyline and how it would fit in proportionally but yes you are correct about the other stuff.

Kumdogmillionaire Feb 18, 2016 7:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 7339073)
What about it's current condition is any different than if there was a building resting on it?

You have made more than a few contradictory statements in several Chicago threads now. Please enlighten us with the facts and knowledge you are using to arrive to your conclusions.



Hmmmm, I was just wondering outloud. No need to be a douchebag to me. If you know better than I then tell me why the foundation is safe and then we'll all be better for it. Acting like a know-it-all is just off putting.

Kumdogmillionaire Feb 18, 2016 7:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 7339763)
The foundation work is all well below the frost line, the very top of the 70-80' wall being the only exception - and it was designed for that.

The crumbly stuff you see in this shot from last year is the gravel that is poured on top of the caissons (or wall here) to protect the re-bar that is protuding out many feet, but still does not reach ground level..

Thanks for the response, only person who wasn't a jerk to me when I asked about the safety of the site. A relief to see, hopefully this means they build something big!

The Lurker Feb 19, 2016 4:34 PM

Kdm, sometimes its better to wonder quietly. In most cases your question will eventually be answered in a way that doesn't "put one on blast" for being less informed. These guys can get pretty passionate but they know their stuff. You'll learn a lot from the sidelines trust me. It's not worth getting all butt-hurt about cybersarcasm.

maru2501 Mar 22, 2016 3:04 PM

Kamin tweeting about activity this morning at Spire site

has photo of earth mover on site

maru2501 Mar 22, 2016 3:07 PM

possible answer. don't know this site

New Construction Chi ‏@chicranetracker 19m19 minutes ago
@BlairKamin They are removing the fence on the West side of the property and doing some landscaping. Nothing serious...

JK47 Mar 22, 2016 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 7379479)
possible answer. don't know this site

New Construction Chi ‏@chicranetracker 19m19 minutes ago
@BlairKamin They are removing the fence on the West side of the property and doing some landscaping. Nothing serious...


Yeah that's what it looked like to me. A lot of new top soil being spread around by the earthmover while worker(s) are removing various bits of construction debris.

Zapatan Mar 22, 2016 5:56 PM

Maybe they'll start removing the Spire foundation to make way for the new one?

maru2501 Mar 22, 2016 6:04 PM

After 2,000-foot dream dashed, Chicago Spire's remains to be hidden behind dirt mound

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...322-story.html

Zapatan Mar 22, 2016 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 7379771)
After 2,000-foot dream dashed, Chicago Spire's remains to be hidden behind dirt mound

http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...322-story.html

Are they tearing up the foundation or just hiding it? The article didn't really say.

If they're hiding it that's probably bad considering it means nothing will be built on the site for a while.

harryc Mar 22, 2016 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 7379850)
Are they tearing up the foundation or just hiding it? The article didn't really say.

If they're hiding it that's probably bad considering it means nothing will be built on the site for a while.

Just hiding it - even if the foundation is not re-purposed (can't see why it wouldn't be) new work would just go in next to it, tearing out rock socketed caissons would be costly - Related is not known for costly.

Zapatan Mar 22, 2016 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 7379884)
Just hiding it - even if the foundation is not re-purposed (can't see why it wouldn't be) new work would just go in next to it, tearing out rock socketed caissons would be costly - Related is not known for costly.

I guess if the site is big enough they could just build next to it, this tower will be pretty narrow in footprint then.

Not trying to be a downer but for the time being I'm not going to get my hopes up for this site, I'm much more excited about Vista since we know that will be a supertall and look good.

maru2501 Mar 22, 2016 7:32 PM

plus the spire wouldn't have had an observation deck

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

had to have that on this thread one more time. maybe the dirt mound will have one

Zapatan Mar 22, 2016 7:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 7379905)
plus the spire wouldn't have had an observation deck

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

had to have that on this thread one more time. maybe the dirt mound will have one

So? It would have been a 2000 foot, awesome looking monster. Related would have to build something in the 400m range at least to make up for that loss. At least for me.

maru2501 Mar 22, 2016 8:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 7379918)
So? It would have been a 2000 foot, awesome looking monster. Related would have to build something in the 400m range at least to make up for that loss. At least for me.

forum joke

Zapatan Mar 22, 2016 8:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 7379973)
forum joke

Ah okay.. must have missed that one

BVictor1 Mar 23, 2016 2:18 AM

It's fun watching people go wacky over a piece of equipment.

Zapatan Mar 23, 2016 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7380412)
It's fun watching people go wacky over a piece of equipment.

I mean, compared to the action that has been on the site over the past near decade it is kind of exciting. :cheers:

chris08876 Mar 24, 2016 7:13 PM

Shit I just realized news of the whole being covered up was posted. :facepalm:

I really hope something comes out of this site.

rlw777 Mar 24, 2016 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7382609)
Shit I just realized news of the whole being covered up was posted. :facepalm:

I really hope something comes out of this site.

No worries I am guessing this is simply about hiding a blemish from potential One Bennett Park condo owners.


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.