SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 875 FT & 765 FT | ? & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

Sky88 Jun 27, 2018 10:25 AM

http://www.stlchicago.com/wp-content...-1920x1080.jpg

Is this a new version of the project or what?

cannedairspray Jun 27, 2018 1:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 8234174)
"Too NYC" my ass. These are fantastic. If this was what was announced a few weeks back we'd all be unanimously squirting our shorts. Oh well.

Sure, but now people are comparing it to the current proposal and saying they don't like it as much.

Steely Dan Jun 27, 2018 1:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sky88 (Post 8234322)

Is this a new version of the project or what?

no, it looks to be a competing design that didn't win.

it's interesting, and it would probably look nice there strictly from a skyline perspective (hard to know what's going on at the base), but i think i prefer david child's scheme more, again from a skyline perspective.

gebs Jun 27, 2018 1:53 PM

Holy hell, has everyone been to their website? They have nine absolutely stellar renderings, some of which were "taken" from very creative angles. I'm drawn in particular to the one that mimics an airplane traveler capturing the skyline from a window seat. I love it.

As for the design, I like it. But if I were on the selection committee, it's compelling imagery like this that would certainly influence my decision.

http://www.stlchicago.com/wp-content...-1920x1080.jpg

r18tdi Jun 27, 2018 2:09 PM

The STL design is pretty bland compared to the articulation SOM gave us.

Busy Bee Jun 27, 2018 2:31 PM

Also "bland" :

https://chicagoonthecheap.com/lotc-c...llis-Tower.jpg
_

LouisVanDerWright Jun 27, 2018 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 8234474)

Lol, no.

The Sears Tower is probably one of the least bland buildings ever built. At the time it went up it was radical and striking. Just another big tapering stick is not bold, it is bland. 110 floors of a purely vertical wall with setbacks arranged in a series of bundled rectangular tubes that set back dramatically as the building rises all clad in a bold black facade is like the antithesis of bland. Especially in 1973.

Maybe it looks bland to you when viewed through the 2003 lens of "everything from the midcentury period is boring because it doesn't look like ye olde beige Parisian concrete manor", but no one alive at the time it was complaining it was boring. Complaints were largely thrown at it's radical size and big blocky massing. Nothing about that suggests a bland design, it suggests a design so bold that a lot of people couldn't handle it.

This runner up design is decent enough, but it's boring compared to the complex geometry and detailing of the winning design. I'm glad we are getting something more adventurous here.

The trope of "two angular shafts of different heights seemingly angled away from each other" has already played out in two large Manhattan developments alone including that ugly ass Hudson Yards tower with lame helipad thing sticking out of it. The losing design would be a notch above that, but it would represent a true regurgitation of the scheme. Obviously this firm was just designing to the client in an attempt to win the business. We should be lucky that Related actually did the right thing for once and picked something new and interesting instead of being like "we made lots of money last time we built two angular sticks, let's do it again" which is basically what this architect was proposing to them.

Kumdogmillionaire Jun 27, 2018 2:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 8234174)
"Too NYC" my ass. These are fantastic. If this was what was announced a few weeks back we'd all be unanimously squirting our shorts. Oh well.

I said I like the design, but would prefer something like it elsewhere on the skyline(and fortunately my fantasy may yet be played out one day). Chillax

RedCorsair87 Jun 27, 2018 2:58 PM

I like the additional height, but I'm happier with the SOM proposal. It definitely looks like something we would see go up in NYC. Whether you think that is good or bad, is a different conversation.

Looking at STL's additional renderings on their website, this proposal really draws your attention to how dated and stale many of the high-rises in this area of our city looks IMO.

maru2501 Jun 27, 2018 3:27 PM

I also like the actual one better

ardecila Jun 27, 2018 3:47 PM

Both the SOM and STL proposals feel New Yorkish to me, but that isn't a problem IMO. As much as we get into pissing contests, our two cities have an extremely similar architectural tradition rooted in sheer capitalism.

At least they don't look like something from Dubai or China.

I honestly don't know which one I prefer. Both are excellent designs, the STL with its taper has a superficial resemblance to Hudson Yards or Manhattan West if you squint but that's where the similarities end. The white cladding is beautiful, reminds me of Alvar Aalto. But SOM's terra cotta will also be stunning so :shrug: I'm still worried the SOM cladding is too costly and elaborate, I'm worried about some major VE; we couldn't even get a proper curtain wall on Vista, what are the chances for this one? But VE could also happen to the STL design and we end up with a boring-ass white window wall.

The SOM proposal is also a lot more nostalgic with lots of references or straight borrowing from Art Deco, while this is more pure and Modernist. I do think the base is stronger on the STL, it beckons people to walk through to DuSable Park while the SOM's base is like an urban box canyon, just a clear visual dead-end.

Choosing between these two designs is a good choice to have to make.

HomrQT Jun 27, 2018 4:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 8234569)
Both the SOM and STL proposals feel New Yorkish to me, but that isn't a problem IMO. As much as we get into pissing contests, our two cities have an extremely similar architectural tradition rooted in sheer capitalism.

At least they don't look like something from Dubai or China.

I honestly don't know which one I prefer. Both are excellent designs, the STL with its taper has a superficial resemblance to Hudson Yards or Manhattan West if you squint but that's where the similarities end. The white cladding is beautiful, reminds me of Alvar Aalto. But SOM's terra cotta will also be stunning so :shrug: I'm still worried the SOM cladding is too costly and elaborate, I'm worried about some major VE; we couldn't even get a proper curtain wall on Vista, what are the chances for this one? But VE could also happen to the STL design and we end up with a boring-ass white window wall.

The SOM proposal is also a lot more nostalgic with lots of references or straight borrowing from Art Deco, while this is more pure and Modernist. I do think the base is stronger on the STL, it beckons people to walk through to DuSable Park while the SOM's base is like an urban box canyon, just a clear visual dead-end.

Choosing between these two designs is a good choice to have to make.

Agree with everything said here. :cheers:

KWillChicago Jun 27, 2018 5:06 PM

Definetly Hudson Yard-ish.

the urban politician Jun 27, 2018 5:33 PM

This ain't bad, but I prefer the current, active proposal

Zerton Jun 27, 2018 6:07 PM

^ Agreed. I really like both. But I like the one selected best. It's so detailed.

emathias Jun 27, 2018 6:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freefall (Post 8194964)
Depends on how well known the building is, imo. I can't imagine many people saying "I'm going to 875 N Michigan". Even with hotels I think most people would say "I'm going to the Hyatt Regency" instead of "151 East Upper Wacker Drive".

Of course it's all kind of a moot point now with uber anyway

Yeah, I use the name for Hancock and Sears, Merchandise Mart, and maybe the biggest few hotels. Otherwise I use the address or the closes cross-street. I was in Axis (aka 441 E Erie, formerly called the Onterie Building) for a few weeks earlier this year and only ever used the address.

Using addresses can help with which side of a full-block building you want to be dropped on, too.

left of center Jun 27, 2018 8:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerton (Post 8234788)
^ Agreed. I really like both. But I like the one selected best. It's so detailed.

My thoughts as well. I love the detailing, setbacks and the depth the project has from the use of terra cotta. Please please please don't VE out the terra cotta. lol

10023 Jun 27, 2018 8:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8235055)
My thoughts as well. I love the detailing, setbacks and the depth the project has from the use of terra cotta. Please please please don't VE out the terra cotta. lol

If they VE out the terra cotta, the design goes from quite good to Miami-esque garbage in a hurry.

left of center Jun 27, 2018 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8235070)
If they VE out the terra cotta, the design goes from quite good to Miami-esque garbage in a hurry.

I hope Related Midwest realizes that. They have a history of VEing the shit out of everything.

donnie Jun 27, 2018 8:32 PM

The current design is way better and these new renderings look boring and reminds of two fingers giving the peace sign!

No thank you._.


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:42 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.