SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 875 FT & 765 FT | ? & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

10023 May 20, 2018 8:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 8194260)
The Beresford, Majestic, San Remo, Dakota, Apthorp....

None as prestigious as, say, 740 Park Avenue, 834 Fifth Avenue, 2 East 67th, etc.

NYguy May 20, 2018 9:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8194271)
None as prestigious as, say, 740 Park Avenue, 834 Fifth Avenue, 2 East 67th, etc.

Sherry Netherland?

JMKeynes May 20, 2018 9:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cannedairspray (Post 8194128)
:shrug: On the other hand, it's "very fortunate" for New York that it has the demand to overcome those costs. Or maybe it's because of the demand that those costs exist in the first place, which makes the comparison moot to begin with.

On that note, it's very fortunate for me that my mom had ovaries because if she had testes I wouldn't have been born.

That’s hilarious!

10023 May 20, 2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYguy (Post 8194299)
Sherry Netherland?

Not on the tier of the smaller co-ops known by their addresses. The Carlyle probably comes the closest.

Among newer buildings, think of 15 Central Park West, which I’m pretty sure stuck with its address as a nod to the Rosario Candela buildings that Robert Stern borrowed the architecture from as well.

Busy Bee May 20, 2018 11:16 PM

They could go druggy and name it 420LSD

JMKeynes May 20, 2018 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 8194352)
They could go druggy and name it 420LSD

That's awesome!!!!

kolchak May 21, 2018 5:50 AM

I wish the towers were closer together to present a tighter form but actually I think it is better fitted to the spot than the Spire was. The arcitecture is great. Something of the Spire's height would look better at LSE site 1 - although I understand the limitations there.

donnie May 21, 2018 6:19 AM

From an amateur wannabe architect enthusiast, couldn't they move the smaller scraper closer and use the existing foundation and save a boat load?

Luv the design and hope this goes through as proposed!

left of center May 21, 2018 5:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8194216)
Most of the best buildings in NYC and some in Chicago are known by their address. The whole marketing name thing is a bit tacky.

I don't mind landmark buildings being known by their names (for example, the towers formerly known as Sears and Hancock), but otherwise I agree that having every single tower go by a distinct name is just silly. Addresses are useful, and for the vast majority of buildings they should more than suffice, IMHO.

Going by 400 N Lake Shore Drive is way more prestigious for the buildings than any gimmicky name Related would otherwise come up with.

Investing In Chicago May 21, 2018 5:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8194915)
I don't mind landmark buildings being known by their names (for example, the towers formerly known as Sears and Hancock), but otherwise I agree that having every single tower go by a distinct name is just silly. Addresses are useful, and for the vast majority of buildings they should more than suffice, IMHO.

Going by 400 N Lake Shore Drive is way more prestigious for the buildings than any gimmicky name Related would otherwise come up with.

except for rare instances, most building names are for marketing purposes, and die off after the building is complete. I can't imagine many people hop in a Taxi and say "I'm going to AMLI River North" or "I'm going Kenect"

Skyguy_7 May 21, 2018 5:43 PM

^ Agreed. Case in point: NEMA.

I prefer the numerical address system, which simply makes sense, unless of course, you're Sears, Hancock, Trump or Aon.

harryc May 21, 2018 5:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8194931)
^ Agreed. Case in point: NEMA.

I prefer the numerical address system, which simply makes sense, unless of course, you're Sears, Hancock, Trump or Aon.

It makes sense if you have no need for help from the outside world - vanity addresses have caused problems, and deaths (IIRC) in the past.

Steely Dan May 21, 2018 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Investing In Chicago (Post 8194929)
except for rare instances, most building names are for marketing purposes, and die off after the building is complete. I can't imagine many people hop in a Taxi and say "I'm going to AMLI River North" or "I'm going Kenect"

correct.

i used to live at "R+D 659".

i never once told a cab driver to take me to "R+D 659", it was always "659 W randolph, please".

hell, even when i lived at marina city prior to that, i always said "300 N state" to cab/delivery drivers.

Freefall May 21, 2018 6:09 PM

Quote:

Depends on how well known the building is, imo. I can't imagine many people saying "I'm going to 875 N Michigan". Even with hotels I think most people would say "I'm going to the Hyatt Regency" instead of "151 East Upper Wacker Drive".

Of course it's all kind of a moot point now with uber anyway

the urban politician May 21, 2018 6:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8194957)
correct.

i used to live at "R+D 659".

i never once told a cab driver to take me to "R+D 659", it was always "659 W randolph, please".

hell, even when i lived at marina city prior to that, i always said "300 N state" to cab/delivery drivers.

I don't even give an address, I just tell them the intersection

harryc May 21, 2018 6:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freefall (Post 8194964)
Depends on how well known the building is, imo. I can't imagine many people saying "I'm going to 875 N Michigan". Even with hotels I think most people would say "I'm going to the Hyatt Regency" instead of "151 East Upper Wacker Drive".

Of course it's all kind of a moot point now with uber anyway

It's a moot point with Uber - not so much with the Fire Department.

left of center May 21, 2018 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by harryc (Post 8195022)
It's a moot point with Uber - not so much with the Fire Department.

I recall CFD having difficulty with One Illinois Place in particular about 30 years ago. A woman died due to the inability of the firefighters to locate the exact building that was ablaze.

marothisu May 22, 2018 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 8194260)
The Beresford, Majestic, San Remo, Dakota, Apthorp....

I found out one of my "cousin ancestors" had a condo at the St. Urban. It was him, his wife, 3 daughters and a "nurse" living there. His neighbor was the guy who wrote Miracle on 34th Street (Valentine Davies). Of course this ancestor of mine died in 1950 - and the current part of that family is more distant now (like 3rd cousins) but I've always wondered if that was still in their possession. It would be amazing to see. Anyway, these buildings might not be as known by name, but they're as beautiful as anything else. I really enjoy living near them. The names for each of them evoke something of worth.

Addressing IMO can go either way. There are definitely words out there that evoke luxury, being known, and whatever. The Lexington evokes a lot more luxury than EMC or something. It can really go either way. There's no one way to go in my opinion.

LouisVanDerWright May 22, 2018 1:09 AM

Best name for a tower in Chicago: EnV

spyguy May 22, 2018 2:32 PM

Quote:

A taxi driver might not know the building name unless it's well known like Water Tower Place, but certainly Google maps and Uber recognize buildings like AMLI River North, K2, etc. and point you to the right direction. Anyway, I don't know whether having a building go by a name or address is more prestigious, just that I thought it was a bit silly.