SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 875 FT & 765 FT | ? & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

Steely Dan May 18, 2018 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2PRUROCKS! (Post 8192791)
^6 supertalls including 2 Prudential;)

yeah, if you include poles and go to the dark side (the metric system) ;)

on a serious note, 2Pru and FC are like our junior level supertalls; they're technically there, but they certainly don't feel like they deserve the distinction.

2PRUROCKS! May 18, 2018 9:22 PM

Yes I agree. Buildings like Bank of America, N.Y. Times and Chrisler in N.Y. feel the same way. They all just don't have the same presence as buildings that are 1000ft plus to the roof.

Halsted & Villagio May 18, 2018 9:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8192749)
i love this image.

i know it's a long shot, but if all of that stuff gets built, it would represent a massive re-centering of the skyline around the river mouth.

within a 1/2 mile of the river mouth you'd have 5 bonafide supertalls and 5 additional buildings at least 800' tall. that's a pretty serious critical mass of height.

and you'd still have the outrigger groups of sears & friends down south and hancock & friends up north, but the visual peak of the skyline would be that massive clump of height right in the middle around the river mouth, right where it all started 250 years ago.

In looking at that picture -- as many have speculated, Tribune Tower, though just 1 tower and set further back from the lake, will indeed be the likely tone setter. Something about the height, batman ears and almost regal stature of the building. Its thin profile, shape and relative centered position also add an imaginative spire like peak to the entire skyline.

JK47 May 19, 2018 1:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halsted & Villagio (Post 8192861)
In looking at that picture -- as many have speculated, Tribune Tower, though just 1 tower and set further back from the lake, will indeed be the likely tone setter. Something about the height, batman ears and almost regal stature of the building. Its thin profile, shape and relative centered position also add an imaginative spire like peak to the entire skyline.


Hadn't noticed this earlier but that wide gap between buildings really helps to preserve the lake views of the folks over in the Trump building. How nice of Related to do that.

Kumdogmillionaire May 19, 2018 1:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK47 (Post 8193065)
Hadn't noticed this earlier but that wide gap between buildings really helps to preserve the lake views of the folks over in the Trump building. How nice of Related to do that.

The river already did that for them lol

LaSalle.St.Station May 19, 2018 1:58 AM

No, lets not use the existing foundation for one grand massing tower, Instead lets split the site and add visual clutter to the lakefront. Let this die on the vine.

Domer2019 May 19, 2018 2:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8192801)
yeah, if you include poles and go to the dark side (the metric system) ;)

on a serious note, 2Pru and FC are like our junior level supertalls; they're technically there, but they certainly don't feel like they deserve the distinction.

WPS could pass one or both thresholds (ignoring the 1/2 mile limit). That'll be the one that bolsters the river/central peak from the side of the skyline that people stare at bleary-eyed for an hour plus. Also I'm sure developers have set a 5-10 year reminder in their phones for the NBC lot(s).

Wolf Point and 400 N LSD are really the width-wise Hancock/Sears pair going forward.

Mr Downtown May 19, 2018 2:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station (Post 8193085)
No, lets not use the existing foundation for one grand massing tower, Instead lets split the site and add visual clutter to the lakefront. Let this die on the vine.

Perfectly illustrating the difference between those who talk about tall buildings
and those who actually build tall buildings.

Buildings become less efficient the higher you go—geometrically so. There's the amount of floorspace required for elevators and exit stairs, the strength of the concrete, the time needed for construction. That's why the Spire went through three iterations, each trying to hang more units on the same set of elevator shafts.

Do you really think Related and SOM didn't run the numbers? Do you think they just picked the floor counts based on the CEO and his daughter's ages?

Mister Uptempo May 19, 2018 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8193418)
Do you really think Related and SOM didn't run the numbers? Do you think they just picked the floor counts based on the CEO and his daughter's ages?

Well, if the CEO is 76 and his daughter is 65, someone should have notified the authorities long ago...

HomrQT May 19, 2018 7:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8193418)
Perfectly illustrating the difference between those who talk about tall buildings
and those who actually build tall buildings.

Buildings become less efficient the higher you go—geometrically so. There's the amount of floorspace required for elevators and exit stairs, the strength of the concrete, the time needed for construction. That's why the Spire went through three iterations, each trying to hang more units on the same set of elevator shafts.

Do you really think Related and SOM didn't run the numbers? Do you think they just picked the floor counts based on the CEO and his daughter's ages?

Is all of this encompassed under "premium for height", or does that just apply to structural integrity the higher you go up?

emathias May 20, 2018 5:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8192749)
i love this image.

i know it's a long shot, but if all of that stuff gets built, it would represent a massive re-centering of the skyline around the river mouth.

within a 1/2 mile of the river mouth you'd have 5 bonafide supertalls and 5 additional buildings at least 800' tall. that's a pretty serious critical mass of height.

and you'd still have the outrigger groups of sears & friends down south and hancock & friends up north, but the visual peak of the skyline would be that massive clump of height right in the middle around the river mouth, right where it all started 250 years ago.

And still no mass transit tying together Streeterville with the rest of downtown.

AMWChicago May 20, 2018 5:52 AM

I hope they give this project an intriguing name. Don't get me wrong. I think there is power behind a street address like say 300 N LaSalle or 432 N Park, but for this guy I hope they come up with something. Being able to call Vista, Vista, has a better ring to it than like 310 E Wacker.

the urban politician May 20, 2018 1:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 8193920)
And still no mass transit tying together Streeterville with the rest of downtown.

The priority of an east-west line just becomes ever more obvious over time

Mr Downtown May 20, 2018 2:48 PM

Why? This is not an office tower. Trip generation rates for residential highrises are quite small, and for those sold at superpremium prices to nonresidents, transit boardings are less than rounding error. There just aren't that many cleaning ladies coming by every day.

harryc May 20, 2018 2:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8194000)
The priority of an east-west line just becomes ever more obvious over time

Ready and Waiting

(Lower Carol st between State and Dearborn - Marina City)

JMKeynes May 20, 2018 4:34 PM

It's very fortunate for Chicago that the cost of developing buildings is a fraction of what it is in NY because it makes projects like much more viable and easy to build. Due to the obscene costs of land acquisition and labor, towers like this could never have a rental component in NY. In fact, towers like this couldn't even rise in NY as condos priced at less than $5k/sf, and the market for that price range obviously is limited.

I look forward to these beauties.

cannedairspray May 20, 2018 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMKeynes (Post 8194114)
It's very fortunate for Chicago that the cost of developing buildings is a fraction of what it is in NY because it makes projects like much more viable and easy to build. Due to the obscene costs of land acquisition and labor, towers like this could never have a rental component in NY. In fact, towers like this couldn't even rise in NY as condos priced at less than $5k/sf, and the market for that price range obviously is limited.

:shrug: On the other hand, it's "very fortunate" for New York that it has the demand to overcome those costs. Or maybe it's because of the demand that those costs exist in the first place, which makes the comparison moot to begin with.

On that note, it's very fortunate for me that my mom had ovaries because if she had testes I wouldn't have been born.

nomarandlee May 20, 2018 5:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8194036)
Why? This is not an office tower. Trip generation rates for residential highrises are quite small, and for those sold at superpremium prices to nonresidents, transit boardings are less than rounding error. There just aren't that many cleaning ladies coming by every day.

Perhaps. Still a LOT of residents who would maybe occasionally use such service if the option was available. Then you have Northwestern Medical Campus and a plethora of hotels in Streeterville and you have one of the most worthwhile expansions of transit Chicago could make. The only question is in what form.

10023 May 20, 2018 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMWChicago (Post 8193924)
I hope they give this project an intriguing name. Don't get me wrong. I think there is power behind a street address like say 300 N LaSalle or 432 N Park, but for this guy I hope they come up with something. Being able to call Vista, Vista, has a better ring to it than like 310 E Wacker.

Most of the best buildings in NYC and some in Chicago are known by their address. The whole marketing name thing is a bit tacky.

spyguy May 20, 2018 8:40 PM

The Beresford, Majestic, San Remo, Dakota, Apthorp....


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.