SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 400 N Lake Shore Drive | 875 FT & 765 FT | ? & ? FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219306)

230Roberto May 15, 2018 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hudson11 (Post 8189148)
burj khalifa meets 111 w 57th and has two children. The crowns are a bit too pomo for my liking but the towers are pretty fantastic.

omg i was thinking this too!

PittsburghPA May 15, 2018 11:49 PM

The renderings look great in my opinion. I could see this being a building that looks much better in person due to the materials used. Let's hope this boom continues so these get built.

Not to be negative on a very positive evening but who is going to live in all of these towers? Almost all of the new construction is residential. I'm sure there is a market but seems like we'll have a bit of a surplus if everything comes to fruition.

Still very exciting and hope all the proposals get built!

Kumdogmillionaire May 15, 2018 11:49 PM

Just looked at the website and my opinion is a bit worse of it. Tall tower is more elegant than I was giving it credit, but good lord that base makes me want to take a doublebarrel shotty to the dome

marothisu May 15, 2018 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittsburghPA (Post 8189156)
The renderings look great in my opinion. I could see this being a building that looks much better in person due to the materials used. Let's hope this boom continues so these get built.

Not to be negative on a very positive evening but who is going to live in all of these towers? Almost all of the new construction is residential. I'm sure there is a market but seems like we'll have a bit of a surplus if everything comes to fruition.

Still very exciting and hope all the proposals get built!

Well considering Chicago's downtown has grown over 10% in population since 2010, and continues to grow and Chicago has the 3rd highest increase of 6+ figure income earning households of any city in the US after NYC and LA since 2010....might be fine.. don't believe in everything you read in the media about Chicago. There's a ton (go to the Economics forum - I've done a ton of data studies on this) of stuff happening in the city that would shock most people in regards to things like what I just mentioned above (like the fact that Chicago has 2nd highest increase of any city of 6+ earning households where the main householder is under the age of 45 since 2010. More than LA, more than Houston, more than Dallas, more than San Francisco, etc).

Kumdogmillionaire May 15, 2018 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgolch (Post 8189146)
Wow.... I honestly can’t tell if you’re joking or not.....

If you’re not, I don’t know what to say. You’re entitled to your opinion. But I couldn’t disagree with you more. These rendering are amazing. Tall, detailed, elegant, so far good materials, fit into the skyline perfectly. Different than our other buildings, but still blend and mesh well. Granted, they’re just renderings. But I can help thinking, what would you be satisfied with?

Every building ever has its haters. Maybe I'm just a blind hater and feel free to write it up to that, but I'm definitely not a big fan of this overall project. In fact, if it was just one 1300 foot tall version of the big one then I'd probably be a huge fan. Small tower, the crown, and the base treatment just make me feel greasy.

LaSalle.St.Station May 15, 2018 11:52 PM

Premier site with two good towers, I just look at the gap of space in between them and ache for the massing spire had. Nice towers but the site is wasted, gone forever.

rlw777 May 15, 2018 11:55 PM

If the old Waldorf proposal and the Los Angeles US Bank building had two shorter babies.

Rooster slayer May 15, 2018 11:56 PM

Redemption....I like how those setback faces on both buildings are slightly angled away from each other in a small north east /southeast direction.

Kumdogmillionaire May 16, 2018 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw777 (Post 8189168)
If the old Waldorf proposal and the Los Angeles US Bank building had two shorter babies.

US bank tower is actually shorter than the bigger one here haha, but I think I get what you mean

marothisu May 16, 2018 12:00 AM

I've looked at it some more - I'm not in love with it, but I like it. It has grown on me. I think it's going to look good if they use the right materials.

What makes me more excited is realizing Vista is going up now and the potential for this plus the Tribune addition. If all of these things get built, the skyline from the lake could look even that much more amazing than it already is. I'm happy with what I see - when I first hear it was Childs, I was hoping it wouldn't look so square like a few other semi recent projects of his. Luckily it's not.

Khantilever May 16, 2018 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 8189162)
Every building ever has its haters. Maybe I'm just a blind hater and feel free to write it up to that, but I'm definitely not a big fan of this overall project. In fact, if it was just one 1300 foot tall version of the big one then I'd probably be a huge fan. Small tower, the crown, and the base treatment just make me feel greasy.

I think your impression of the smaller tower may be skewed by the fact that most of the renderings are looking NW, so we're seeing the wider side of that tower. In the straight west shots from the Lake the shorter tower looks much more slender.

Also, the base looks quite nice from the renders of the expanded riverwalk, which is what matters.

new.slang May 16, 2018 12:02 AM

Giving off some lowkey US Bank Tower vibes...

pip May 16, 2018 12:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 8189049)
https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/cms...t-Renaker2.png
_

Seems REALLY disappointing!!! Sure am glad this has nothing to do with 400NLSD!!!:haha::runaway:

When I was scrolling down the page all I saw was this image starting to appear. I thought you've got to be kidding me, that's it.

I kinda like this new proposal. Of course I wish it were taller but those buildings look good to me.

F1 Tommy May 16, 2018 12:06 AM

Not to bad at all. The size fits better at that location than a huge 2000 foot tower would IMO. I would have liked the tall tower on the north side of the lot better.

MayorOfChicago May 16, 2018 12:07 AM

Is there a timeline on building these?

230Roberto May 16, 2018 12:08 AM

Me too. I almost shit my pants looking at the top of the rendering. After all it was just a bluff.

230Roberto May 16, 2018 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago (Post 8189190)

Construction Starts Late Summer 2019.
Construction Ends 2023.
Both towers built at the same time I believe.

Rooster slayer May 16, 2018 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khantilever (Post 8189180)
I think your impression of the smaller tower may be skewed by the fact that most of the renderings are looking NW, so we're seeing the wider side of that tower. In the straight west shots from the Lake the shorter tower looks much more slender.

Also, the base looks quite nice from the renders of the expanded riverwalk, which is what matters.

Where are those renderings?.. The ones I saw appear towers are facing slightly NE/SE, not square to the lake. I could be off tho as i had a private party in anticipation :cheers:

rlw777 May 16, 2018 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago (Post 8189190)

From the Tribune

Quote:

Related plans to begin construction by late next summer, with the towers scheduled for completion in 2023, Bailey said.

Shwayze1994 May 16, 2018 12:17 AM

We're also forgetting this group of towers, along with the Vista, Tribune, and new the spire site.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=229046