SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina | Pubs and Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212747)

Nathan Aug 31, 2017 3:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7908559)
Barts or Bartelbys

It's still got the sign of its latest name before it closed at the corner of Broad and 12th, "Barts on Broad". :yes:.

It also lets you know that it is "Home of the Bartlefeast". ;)

Stormer Aug 31, 2017 3:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 7908583)
It's still got the sign of its latest name before it closed at the corner of Broad and 12th, "Barts on Broad". :yes:.

It also lets you know that it is "Home of the Bartlefeast". ;)

The stained glass mosaic skylight from Bartleby's is in a Milwaukee museum. It was "stolen" from an historic mansion and recovered in Regina after a lawsuit.

Nathan Aug 31, 2017 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7908610)
The stained glass mosaic skylight from Bartleby's is in a Milwaukee museum. It was "stolen" from an historic mansion and recovered in Regina after a lawsuit.

Very interesting!

Migs Aug 31, 2017 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7908559)
Barts or Bartelbys

Ahh yes that's it. Thanks. That place was so much fun, used to go there all the time after the LDC games.

Stormer Aug 31, 2017 5:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 7908644)
Very interesting!

Quote:

The journey of two stained glass panels from Milwaukee to a Canadian pub illustrates the sometimes tricky path of provenance for historic architecture.
The two panels on display were originally part of a skylight in the Plankinton Mansion, allowing natural light from the ceiling of a third floor billiard parlor to filter in through beveled glass tesserae of color. When preparations were underway for the home’s demolition, the skylight was overlooked on the list of salvageable elements. This loophole opened a way for a savvy antique dealer to make a private deal with the Knights of Columbus for the skylight.
Eventually, the panels landed at auction and were purchased by the parent company of Bartleby’s Dining Emporium and Gathering Place in the province of Saskatchewan. It took a federal lawsuit for the Milwaukee Redevelopment Authority to reclaim the pieces now on view.
http://www.wisconsingazette.com/ente...0173c15cd.html

Draftsman Sep 13, 2017 12:25 AM

Restaurant closings
 
I know it had been mentioned in here some time back, but I see Brewsters Albert South location is closed. Chili's on Victoria Avenue East is also closed - no surprise there as it was a terrible location: poor access and hardly visible from either Victoria Avenue or Prince of Wales Drive.

Nathan Sep 13, 2017 12:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 7920171)
I know it had been mentioned in here some time back, but I see Brewsters Albert South location is closed. Chili's on Victoria Avenue East is also closed - no surprise there as it was a terrible location: poor access and hardly visible from either Victoria Avenue or Prince of Wales Drive.

Wasn't that Brewster's the rumoured location for a Hudsons Pub?

As for Chili's, did that place ever have all that much traction? Just seems like one of those chain places that gets lost in the mix (not to mention your location comments).

jigglysquishy Sep 13, 2017 1:04 AM

Chili's is a terrible restaurant. Vic East is oversaturated with restaurants. Bad food and bad location is a recipe for disaster

BrutallyDishonest2 Sep 13, 2017 4:26 AM

Chili's has been for sale for over a year and still currently listed for all of $100,000. None of that is surprising.

Stormer Sep 13, 2017 2:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 7920208)
Chili's is a terrible restaurant. Vic East is oversaturated with restaurants. Bad food and bad location is a recipe for disaster

I eat at Chili's in the Calgary airport all the time and it is fine. I think it was the location. Maybe management?

Dan0myte Sep 13, 2017 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 7920181)
As for Chili's, did that place ever have all that much traction? Just seems like one of those chain places that gets lost in the mix (not to mention your location comments).

I went there one time in 2007 when it opened. Never went back again. Surprised it lasted this long.

Drofmab Sep 13, 2017 5:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7920641)
I eat at Chili's in the Calgary airport all the time and it is fine. I think it was the location. Maybe management?

I'm betting location. North side of Vic (east of Ring Road) seems tough for virtually anything that gives it a go. May just be my perception - but it always seems like it's the B team retail over there... A team is in the Quance cluster*#(&.

it's got a bit better in recent years - with more traffic on that side due to hotels & retail up PoW - but I can tell ya, I wouldn't be starting a retail or restaurant on that side of Vic.

It'll be interesting to see how Fuddruckers does. I was there on Sunday. Wasn't dead, but certainly didn't have the vibe the Sasktoon one has at virtually any day/time (I would've gone South Albert if I were the Fudd's franchisee... too much burger competition in the east, and most of it more accessible)

Udon'tknow Sep 16, 2017 7:51 PM

Dehli Belly
 
For those of you who like quality Indian food, there's a new restaurant in the east end which is very good, on the same level as Caraway. It's called Dehli Belly and a good option amongst a growing number of Indian restaurants.

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...88&oe=5A4D0B05

https://www.facebook.com/DELHIBELLYINDIANCUISINE01/

Festivus Sep 17, 2017 5:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Udon'tknow (Post 7924640)
It's called Dehli Belly and a good option amongst a growing number of Indian restaurants.
[/URL]

Strong words. Caraway has set the bar pretty high.

Udon'tknow Sep 18, 2017 4:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Festivus (Post 7925170)
Strong words. Caraway has set the bar pretty high.

Well the quality of the food was validated by two guys from India that I went with. But don't take my word for it, try it out and make your own judgement. I go to Caraway regularly so was able to do a good comparison.

Nathan Sep 18, 2017 4:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stormer (Post 7908752)

I didn't mention it before, but thanks for the extra info. :cheers:

Drofmab Sep 18, 2017 5:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan (Post 7908583)
It's still got the sign of its latest name before it closed at the corner of Broad and 12th, "Barts on Broad". :yes:.

It also lets you know that it is "Home of the Bartlefeast". ;)

I've looked at that sign numerous times on my commute home & wondered if it will some day be heritage protected. Given the way Regina haphazardly slaps heritage designation on things, and the fact that the Barts sign has somehow escaped any damage in the 10-15years since it closed, I think it's starting to rival some heritage structures in this city.
[for clarity, I'm being sarcastic. but really, how has that sign not faded/had a rock tossed at it/etc? There are fully operational businesses with signs in worse shape]

Udon'tknow Sep 21, 2017 3:34 AM

Malt city
 
I heard a rumour that there is a new restaurant going into where Malt City was, anyone have any intel if this is true, and if true what is the new restaurant?

BrutallyDishonest2 Sep 21, 2017 3:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Udon'tknow (Post 7928692)
I heard a rumour that there is a new restaurant going into where Malt City was, anyone have any intel if this is true, and if true what is the new restaurant?

Most legit rumor I've heard is it's a group out of Saskatoon.

Nathan Sep 21, 2017 6:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BrutallyDishonest2 (Post 7928694)
Most legit rumor I've heard is it's a group out of Saskatoon.

That'd be interesting... A little bit of cross-pollination with Leo's and Cathedral social hall going north recently.


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.