SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Manitoba & Saskatchewan (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=129)
-   -   Regina | Pubs and Restaurants (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=212747)

StealthGirl Nov 19, 2019 3:05 AM

Bar Burrito is opening soon next to Meltwich in Harbour Landing. Also, cue the complaining, Olive Gardens opens on the 25th.

cityboy Nov 19, 2019 2:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike328 (Post 8752324)
Any rumors on Chili's reopening here ? Been some job posting for hostess, servers and kitchen staff over the last few days.

Seems strange it would come back

Very strange indeed. The address on those job postings is the address of the former Chili's...

Draftsman Nov 19, 2019 6:53 PM

Gud Eats coming to Regina

I noticed today that they were renovating the space that several Asian restaurants had previously occupied at 1810 Smith Street. Then I noticed Gud Eats (a vegan restaurant) from Saskatoon will be opening their second location in that spot. According to the Leader-Post article, Leo's Group has purchased Gud Eats.

https://leaderpost.com/business/loca...-by-leos-group

one_brick_at_a_time Nov 19, 2019 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 8752919)
I noticed today that they were renovating the space that several Asian restaurants had previously occupied at 1810 Smith Street. Then I noticed Gud Eats (a vegan restaurant) from Saskatoon will be opening their second location in that spot. According to the Leader-Post article, Leo's Group has purchased Gud Eats.

Amazing!!!!

Stormer Nov 19, 2019 9:29 PM

Quote:

Great addition to downtown. That area could become a bit a foodie neighborhood. Avenue, ,Gud Eats, The Cure...

LittleBoy Nov 19, 2019 10:17 PM

Quote:

Purchased by Leo's Group? Can't wait for an overpriced meal where I can't even hear the person beside me talking

Stormer Nov 19, 2019 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBoy (Post 8753196)
Purchased by Leo's Group? Can't wait for an overpriced meal where I can't even hear the person beside me talking

Half price appys and cheap house draft.

jigglysquishy Nov 19, 2019 11:19 PM

Downtown has completely transformed in the last ten years. We've close to doubled the amount of restaurants.

Now we just need residential.

pappcam Nov 19, 2019 11:33 PM

Quote:

Hmmm... Sure, Leo's is small and noisy but I've never considered it overpriced. It's standard pub fare at standard pub fare prices. What are you comparing it to? The senior's special at Smitty's?

one_brick_at_a_time Nov 19, 2019 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglysquishy (Post 8753262)
Downtown has completely transformed in the last ten years. We've close to doubled the amount of restaurants.

Now we just need residential.

Definitely amazing that slowly more and more eating options. Agreed that we need more residential to spur more restaurant, retail, entertainment and office development.

djforsberg Nov 20, 2019 1:52 AM

Quote:

Maybe high-quality pubs aren’t your thing?

Drofmab Nov 22, 2019 5:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pappcam (Post 8753278)
Hmmm... Sure, Leo's is small and noisy but I've never considered it overpriced. It's standard pub fare at standard pub fare prices. What are you comparing it to? The senior's special at Smitty's?

I’ve literally never heard anyone call Leo’s overpriced. Even the most frugal people I know find it reasonable.

They’re getting to be quite the powerhouse... First location opened 6 years ago. Now? 5 locations in Regina, 4 in Saskatoon, 1 in Warman, 2 in Calgary and 2 in Winnipeg (including Victoria’s & Gud). Opening in Victoria BC soon. Plus, they own that co-work space in the Doubletree (and soon in the Bess).

LittleBoy Nov 24, 2019 8:44 PM

Just went for a walk around downtown, and noticed some things about the Gud Eats site on Smith Street. They have a sign put up, and are clearly on the midst of renos on the space. It appears they are keeping a majority or all of the previous kitchen, as the kitchen equipment seems to be set up for the most part. They have a decent bit of work to do on the interior, as it appears they are just re-framing the walls around the kitchen, and have not completed any other interior finishes. It seems like this will be quite a tiny restaurant.

I still stand by my above opinions, but I think everyone can get excited about new things going on in downtown.

Draftsman Nov 24, 2019 8:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LittleBoy (Post 8757692)
Just went for a walk around downtown, and noticed some things about the Gud Eats site on Smith Street. They have a sign put up, and are clearly on the midst of renos on the space. It appears they are keeping a majority or all of the previous kitchen, as the kitchen equipment seems to be set up for the most part. They have a decent bit of work to do on the interior, as it appears they are just re-framing the walls around the kitchen, and have not completed any other interior finishes. It seems like this will be quite a tiny restaurant.

I still stand by my above opinions, but I think everyone can get excited about new things going on in downtown.

I haven't been in the space where Gud Eats is going for a number of years, but a few years back when it was Ming's they had additional seating around the north side of the entrance.

LittleBoy Nov 24, 2019 8:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 8757696)
I haven't been in the space where Gud Eats is going for a number of years, but a few years back when it was Ming's they had additional seating around the north side of the entrance.

I sure hope so as the seating space on the south side of the restaurant only appears to be big enough for a handful of tables

Drofmab Dec 1, 2019 2:57 AM

Anyone got any info on the status of the Prairie Donair on Hamilton? It's sat virtually untouched for at least a month... did financing fall through, or something?

SpongeG Dec 19, 2019 5:15 AM

Jollibee Opens First Store in Saskatchewan and Fourth Store in Ontario this December

REGINA, Saskatchewan, Dec. 17, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Just in time for the holidays, popular fast-food restaurant Jollibee is giving the gift of Jolly Crispy Chicken to even more Canadians. The brand will open its fourth location in the Greater Toronto Area at Vaughan Promenade on December 20, 2019 and its first store in the Saskatchewan province in Regina on Sunday, December 22, 2019.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/fast-...152600098.html

BrutallyDishonest2 Dec 21, 2019 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drofmab (Post 8763313)
Anyone got any info on the status of the Prairie Donair on Hamilton? It's sat virtually untouched for at least a month... did financing fall through, or something?

Probably just the city. Building permits are like 4 months.

Draftsman Feb 11, 2020 6:50 PM

"Food halls are the way to go"

As we all know, shopping malls are hurting across the country (and world) and have to re-invent the shopping experience. Someone had mentioned Eataly here previously, but judging from the attached CBC article it sounds expensive.

Story by Dianne Buckner, CBC News:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/foo...nada-1.5451268

Do you think something like this could work in Regina? At Cornwall Centre?

Did Midtown Plaza in Saskatoon miss the opportunity, or is this what they were going after? Their new food court is on the second floor which is probably not as easily accessible in the evening when the mall is closed, nor would it be easy for Skip the Dishes, Uber Eats etc. to access quickly.

What is your opinion?

Drofmab Feb 12, 2020 3:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draftsman (Post 8828027)
As we all know, shopping malls are hurting across the country (and world) and have to re-invent the shopping experience. Someone had mentioned Eataly here previously, but judging from the attached CBC article it sounds expensive.

Story by Dianne Buckner, CBC News:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/foo...nada-1.5451268

Do you think something like this could work in Regina? At Cornwall Centre?

Did Midtown Plaza in Saskatoon miss the opportunity, or is this what they were going after? Their new food court is on the second floor which is probably not as easily accessible in the evening when the mall is closed, nor would it be easy for Skip the Dishes, Uber Eats etc. to access quickly.

What is your opinion?

There's a range of 'dining halls' out there - the article focuses on fairly high-end ones. I don't think Cornwall could make the shift - especially if it meant an increase in prices, and increased food production time.

Now, they could probably make the shift to Rideau Centre's 'dining hall' - which is essentially just an upscale food court, with all the usual vendors, but no disposable items... ceramic plates, metal cutlery, little glass dishes for condiments, etc. Weird eating KFC, Subway, or A&W without having anything to throw out afterwards, but the dining hall there was consistently busy, and with varying demographics, I saw professionals, students (it's near OttawaU), teens, etc. Prices didn't seem significantly higher. Gotta assume there'd be a significant loss rate on the dishes.

It wouldn't be an easy sell - but it could probably be done. More of a mindset shift.