SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | NEMA Chicago | 896 FT | 81 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=218570)

SamInTheLoop May 25, 2016 4:06 PM

I'd be watching for permits and activity down this way. Person I know who lives adjacent to site mentioned recently that notices went out early this month that stated something like (iirc) construction will be beginning in the next several weeks, as early as (I think) the end of May. While I don't think that will be achieved, June would seem to be fully in play for at least major site prep to begin.....

My guess would be that this one starts construction officially before Vista does....(maybe by a few weeks-1.5 months or so?).....

nice May 26, 2016 6:42 PM

This one should start before Wanda. I bet caissons start sometime around Sep/Oct.

Kngkyle May 26, 2016 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nice (Post 7454278)
This one should start before Wanda. I bet caissons start sometime around Sep/Oct.

Wanda should start in June or July I believe.

emathias May 26, 2016 8:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 7400922)
It's not stupid if you think of who their customer base is. While I never see myself needing a car, especially if I'm living close to public transit, the +40 population likes having 2+ cars, and that's just reality

I'm 40+ and married and have zero cars and am a downtown homeowner. That's just reality.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 7401457)
You literally could have made that sentence, "you didn't back your claims with data", no need to try way too hard to sound smart. Also, I don't understand how my claim is wrong? Would less parking spaces be preferable? Yeah, but again as I said, the place isn't going to be attracting that many car free 20-30 year old buyers. That's just not the price market we are looking at here.

Perhaps not early-20s, but you might be surprised how many late-20s and 30-somethings who have both the money for and the interest in a development like this one. As long as we're throwing around anecdotes, it was a 26-year-old who bought the $800,000 unfinished condo next to me and poured another half-million into making it his own. I think that's probably well within the price point of this development.

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyscraper (Post 7401776)
the zoning for this area requires .55 parking spaces per residential unit.

It's a PD, is it not? A PD can negotiate that, can it not?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 7402948)
There probably is a significant unmet demand for units without parking, but it's worth noting that Chicagoans without cars can already opt out of parking and reap the savings by living in a vintage building, many of which are renovated and offer a standard of living similar or equal to new construction.

It's also worth noting that the City has put hundreds of millions, if not billions of dollars in investments into the area immediately surrounding that, a good chunk of that investment is targeted toward reducing driving. When a city invests in allowing, even encouraging, a car-free or car-light lifestyle, it is a waste of public money to then require parking and not irrational to even actively limit it. The price paid almost doesn't matter, since at all price points there will be some people who don't need or want a car, and they should not have to both subsidize investment in car-free areas AND also pay additional money for a place that can accommodate a car the do not want. I'm not necessarily against letting developers make market-oriented decisions about parking, but I'm also definitely not against it if the City were to actively discourage parking at sites that can support car-free living.

maru2501 May 26, 2016 8:34 PM

this is an exciting one.. skyline booster

marothisu May 26, 2016 9:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emathias (Post 7454394)
Perhaps not early-20s, but you might be surprised how many late-20s and 30-somethings who have both the money for and the interest in a development like this one. As long as we're throwing around anecdotes, it was a 26-year-old who bought the $800,000 unfinished condo next to me and poured another half-million into making it his own. I think that's probably well within the price point of this development.

Yeah, actually there's a bunch of people in their 20s and 30s in the city with a lot more money than you'd expect. Mostly traders. Some of the people buying units in 4 E Elm, which is minimum of $2.5M are in their late 20s and early 30s working for firms like Jump.

rlw777 Jun 29, 2016 3:09 PM

Anyone have some info on when this one is supposed to start?

SamInTheLoop Jun 29, 2016 3:34 PM

^ I'd been expecting it to be before the end of this month.......so, that's not going to happen apparently. Would definitely expect groundbreaking in July.....

SamInTheLoop Jul 22, 2016 1:54 PM

Has any site work begun over here yet?

Perhaps pushed back to August now (as Vista)?......

ChiHi Jul 22, 2016 2:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 7509879)
Has any site work begun over here yet?

Perhaps pushed back to August now (as Vista)?......

I walk past this site every day and haven't seen any movement at all.

chris08876 Aug 6, 2016 4:10 PM

IDK if this was posted in the past. Found it on the Vinoly site.

PDF with some data/renderings: http://vinoly.com/wp-content/uploads...iana_FINAL.pdf

http://vinoly.com/wp-content/uploads...-1778x1000.jpg
Credit: http://vinoly.com/works/1200-s-indiana-avenue/

BVictor1 Aug 6, 2016 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7523554)

PDF with some data/renderings: http://vinoly.com/wp-content/uploads...iana_FINAL.pdf

Credit: http://vinoly.com/works/1200-s-indiana-avenue/

This must have recently been uploaded to the Vinoly site as I was there last week and it wasn't on the page.

Perhaps when looking for permits, 113 E. Roosevelt as well as 1200 S. Indiana should be used.

go go white sox Aug 7, 2016 4:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7523674)
This must have recently been uploaded to the Vinoly site as I was there last week and it wasn't on the page.

Perhaps when looking for permits, 113 E. Roosevelt as well as 1200 S. Indiana should be used.

The south loop is really posed for some serious changes in the coming years. Can you imagine with Essex tower, jahn tower, the 2nd taller tower of this project, and everything going on just east of the river on those huge parcels. South loop is bulking up big time and it's going to naturally uniform itself to the rest of the skyline, making it look that much bigger.

go go white sox Aug 7, 2016 4:46 PM

[QUOTE=chris08876;7523554]IDK if this was posted in the past. Found it on the Vinoly site.

Credit: http://vinoly.com/works/1200-s-indiana-avenue/[/QU
Btw any updates on this project start? I thought it was to begin soon like this summer?

BVictor1 Aug 7, 2016 5:03 PM

[QUOTE=go go white sox;7524165]
Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 7523554)

[/QU
Btw any updates on this project start? I thought it was to begin soon like this summer?

If there were an update, it would have been posted.

BVictor1 Aug 15, 2016 9:02 PM

So I sent an email to a representative of Crescent Heights, and they've just responded...

According to my source, we "SHOULD" see activity toward the end of October.

I's have to be dotted and T's crossed when it comes to projects of this size.

Zerton Aug 16, 2016 7:59 PM

My friend has been working on this tower. It looks nice, the quality and materials are going to be great. But imo, stylistically it looks like it's from 30 years ago.

LouisVanDerWright Aug 16, 2016 8:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerton (Post 7532805)
My friend has been working on this tower. It looks nice, the quality and materials are going to be great. But imo, stylistically it looks like it's from 30 years ago.

Good, everything today sucks. I'd rather have the funky shit from back then, though I'd prefer 40 years ago. I would like this to turn out like a 850' version of UIC tower with real limestone used instead of concrete. Such a building would likely take on a Marina City like "sky garden" patina with all these terraces and balconies. Or maybe like an extruded Contemporaine. Sign me up. Maybe both will get build and be the love child of Sears Tower, Marina City, and the World Trade Center. Also channeling those cool Mies concrete towers in Indian Village.

Kumdogmillionaire Aug 18, 2016 12:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7532815)
Good, everything today sucks. I'd rather have the funky shit from back then, though I'd prefer 40 years ago. I would like this to turn out like a 850' version of UIC tower with real limestone used instead of concrete. Such a building would likely take on a Marina City like "sky garden" patina with all these terraces and balconies. Or maybe like an extruded Contemporaine. Sign me up. Maybe both will get build and be the love child of Sears Tower, Marina City, and the World Trade Center. Also channeling those cool Mies concrete towers in Indian Village.

Yeah the UIC towers concrete is really aging horribly, not sure what they can do to fix that though

go go white sox Aug 18, 2016 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 7532815)

I agree that's really when Chicago still had that edge to it big bold buildings. I anyways envisioned Chicago building a third all black supertall to compliment Sears and Hancock, how badass would that look in our skyline!

ithakas Aug 18, 2016 1:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go go white sox (Post 7534414)
I agree that's really when Chicago still had that edge to it big bold buildings. I anyways envisioned Chicago building a third all black supertall to compliment Sears and Hancock, how badass would that look in our skyline!

That'll be for the redevelopment of the Jewel site at Wabash/Roosevelt. :cheers:

LouisVanDerWright Aug 18, 2016 3:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 7534409)
Yeah the UIC towers concrete is really aging horribly, not sure what they can do to fix that though

No it's not, it just needs to be maintained. That's what happens to 50 year old concrete that has been exposed to the elements. If you actually go up there and grind and patch the spawling it would look just fine. This was one of the same bullshit arguments used to justify destroying Prentice. "Oh there's chips and cracks in the concrete, it's falling down".

A. No it's not, it would take an awful lot to compromise cast in place concrete like this.

B. If you actually performed regular maintenance on the building it wouldn't be an issue. Do you think brick is any different after 50 years without any tuckpointing? No, that shit will be cracking and the mortar falling out.

Mr Downtown Aug 18, 2016 2:58 PM

Alas, I'm hearing that the reconstruction plan for University Hall will get rid of half the vertical concrete elements to save money on patching. Get your photos now. When they're finished, it'll have all the distinction of a bank building in Oklahoma City.

Steely Dan Aug 18, 2016 3:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 7534892)
Alas, I'm hearing that the reconstruction plan for University Hall will get rid of half the vertical concrete elements to save money on patching.

https://media.giphy.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif
source: https://media.giphy.com/media/12XMGIWtrHBl5e/giphy.gif

LouisVanDerWright Aug 18, 2016 4:17 PM

Depressing but better than demo and sounds slight less awful than the aesthetic lobotomy performed on the smaller buildings in the original campus.

KWILLSKYLINE Aug 19, 2016 3:21 PM

Question to the engineers out there. How much would the cost be to cover the train tracks through Grant Park? Say, if they they were to go the T-beam route as they did, on a much smaller scale, for riverpoint and 151. Would it have to come out of private founds? I couldnt see the city fronting money on a project that size. Anyway, if you have any idea of what it cost to cover either 151 or riverpoint tracks. I'm sure Friends of the Train Tracks would oppose that idea anyway.

brian_b Aug 19, 2016 3:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE (Post 7536176)
Question to the engineers out there. How much would the cost be to cover the train tracks through Grant Park? Say, if they they were to go the T-beam route as they did, on a much smaller scale, for riverpoint and 151. Would it have to come out of private founds? I couldnt see the city fronting money on a project that size. Anyway, if you have any idea of what it cost to cover either 151 or riverpoint tracks. I'm sure Friends of the Train Tracks would oppose that idea anyway.

Figure out how much Millennium Park cost and then quadruple it.

the urban politician Aug 19, 2016 5:45 PM

^ I doubt that. MP was built over an active parking garage, plus it contains a lot of iconic cultural amenities that wouldn't be included in a simple plan to create park space above the train tracks

ardecila Aug 19, 2016 5:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWILLSKYLINE (Post 7536176)

The tracks don't offend me. They're in a retained trench, they're pretty much out of sight unless you're right on top of them.

I will make an exception south of 11th Place... there is no retaining wall there and the big ditch fans out to a broad ugly valley where Central Station used to be. I wouldn't mind seeing that part covered to create a "Millennium Park South" and create a solid destination at the southwest corner of the park to mirror the northwest corner.

brian_b Aug 19, 2016 6:54 PM

Yeah, so first of all - inflation. Millennium Park was finished more than 10 years ago.

Second, you of course know how there are elevation changes at Millennium Park. Look at the satellite view and line those up with the train tracks. So, a real basic "cover the tracks with grass" is going to require a lot of stairs and ramps for ADA compatibility. And at the point all you have is some grass and who is going to spend money on that? So, as Ardecila points out, you might as well do a Millennium Park South and add at least a basic level of amenities (that can be sponsored by corporations of course), probably tied into a full-service train station at 11th. This would be nice to have for sure, but I'm pretty sure it's going to cost MP*4 on the low end.

Rizzo Aug 19, 2016 10:20 PM

^ Agree, plus many of the existing stairs and ramps are deteriorating and would either need major repairs or total replacement to blend into any future landscape plan. Then you have all the mechanical systems to exhaust the area beneath

sukwoo Aug 20, 2016 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hayward (Post 7536780)
^ Agree, plus many of the existing stairs and ramps are deteriorating and would either need major repairs or total replacement to blend into any future landscape plan. Then you have all the mechanical systems to exhaust the area beneath

No exhaust system needed because the trains are electric powered.

denizen467 Aug 20, 2016 9:40 AM

^ Imagine a time where all rail is electric powered - even where there's no catenary. Maybe Elon Musk's battery r&d will lead to locomotives laden with their own electricity source (already trucks and buses are on the horizon). And if the locomotives' batteries couldn't recharge enough at the stations or endpoints of their Metra runs, then self-driving / self-switching technology could seamlessly swap in a fresh locomotive!

(Wrong thread though, sorry.)

brian_b Aug 20, 2016 1:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sukwoo (Post 7537006)
No exhaust system needed because the trains are electric powered.

The passenger trains are electric, but the trains and vehicles that Metra uses to service the line are not.

brian_b Aug 20, 2016 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 7537078)
^ Imagine a time where all rail is electric powered - even where there's no catenary. Maybe Elon Musk's battery r&d will lead to locomotives laden with their own electricity source (already trucks and buses are on the horizon). And if the locomotives' batteries couldn't recharge enough at the stations or endpoints of their Metra runs, then self-driving / self-switching technology could seamlessly swap in a fresh locomotive!

(Wrong thread though, sorry.)

It's probably only a matter of time. Emissions requirements are already forcing changes to the diesel portion of the locomotive. I can imagine that the next phase is to give up on trying to make specialized large, clean diesels due to prohibitive R&D costs. So, you install banks of commodity diesels from the auto/truck industry that have already been certified to meet requirements. These could be started and stopped on demand to ensure total electrical power is adequate for traction motors. Once you have that system in place, you can replace individual diesel motors with battery packs depending on the needs of the individual railroad operator. And boom, there you go.

Metra could go half and half, focusing on batteries near stations so they can be zero emission except when cruising in open air, when they would use diesel.

UPChicago Sep 22, 2016 4:27 PM

when will we have "nanners" for 113 E Roos?

BVictor1 Sep 22, 2016 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 7571003)
when will we have "nanners" for 113 E Roos?

Roosevelt & Indiana... A rep several weeks ago told me there could be movement in October, but we'll see.

Steely Dan Sep 22, 2016 9:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7571082)
Roosevelt & Indiana... A rep several weeks ago told me there could be movement in October, but we'll see.

an october start would be very cool.

could we really be so lucky to get construction starts on 3 towers over 800' in one calendar year?

i don't think that's ever happened before in chicago.

<fingers crossed>

Kumdogmillionaire Sep 22, 2016 9:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7571520)
an october start would be very cool.

could we really be so lucky to get construction starts on 3 towers over 800' in one calendar year?

i don't think that's ever happened before in chicago.

<fingers crossed>

Yeah if it did happen before it would have been when 2 Prudential, AT&T(now just Franklin Center), 900 N Michigan, and 311 S Wabash were all completed within about a year of each other. Don't remember their start dates though

Steely Dan Sep 23, 2016 2:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 7571534)
Yeah if it did happen before it would have been when 2 Prudential, AT&T(now just Franklin Center), 900 N Michigan, and 311 S Wabash were all completed within about a year of each other. Don't remember their start dates though

accoridng to the SSP data base:

franklin center - 1987 construction start
900 n michigan - 1987 construction start
2 prudential - 1988 construction start
311 s wacker - 1988 construction start

so that was a very tight cluster of 800+' tower construction starts, but technically not in one calendar year. and none of those four are legit supertalls like vista, so if 113 s roosevelt does pop in october (or even november/decemeber), 2016 could go down as the greatest year for 800+' skyscraper construction starts in chicago history!

ardecila Sep 23, 2016 5:45 PM

I believe they have changed the address of this to 1200 S Indiana.

Probably it will have an actual name once they start the marketing... but the primary residential entrance is on the Indiana side, so the city probably insisted on it.

Steely Dan Sep 23, 2016 5:46 PM

^ got it, thanks for the update.

emathias Sep 23, 2016 6:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go go white sox (Post 7524164)
The south loop is really posed for some serious changes in the coming years. Can you imagine with Essex tower, jahn tower, the 2nd taller tower of this project, and everything going on just east of the river on those huge parcels. South loop is bulking up big time and it's going to naturally uniform itself to the rest of the skyline, making it look that much bigger.

It'll never have the depth of the Loop, though, as long as Dearborn Park(s) are around.

Kumdogmillionaire Sep 23, 2016 6:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7572285)
accoridng to the SSP data base:

franklin center - 1987 construction start
900 n michigan - 1987 construction start
2 prudential - 1988 construction start
311 s wacker - 1988 construction start

so that was a very tight cluster of 800+' tower construction starts, but technically not in one calendar year. and none of those four are legit supertalls like vista, so if 113 s roosevelt does pop in october (or even november/decemeber), 2016 could go down as the greatest year for 800+' skyscraper construction starts in chicago history!

When you say legit supertalls I assume you mean roof breaking supertall height right? Because two of those 4 are currently classified as supertalls due to their spires.

And yeah, the city's skyline could really evolve drastically in the coming 5 years. :happybirthday::happybirthday::happybirthday:

Steely Dan Sep 23, 2016 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kumdogmillionaire (Post 7572631)
When you say legit supertalls I assume you mean roof breaking supertall height right? Because two of those 4 are currently classified as supertalls due to their spires.

yeah, i was talking about the whole spire vs. roof thing. i probably should have used the word "unqualified" instead of "legit". no one can argue that vista will stand more than 1,000' above the ground, but those other two are more open to interpretation.

in any event, i really hope bvic's insider source about this one starting up in october is on the level.

Kumdogmillionaire Sep 24, 2016 2:00 AM

^ Same, the South Loop got all those proposals, but so many of them have been dragging their feet it feels, maybe I'm just impatient

go go white sox Sep 24, 2016 2:08 AM

Did the address change I thought it was officially 113 e Roosevelt Rd?

The Lurker Sep 24, 2016 8:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go go white sox (Post 7573118)
Did the address change I thought it was officially 113 e Roosevelt Rd?

For real? That was addressed literally six posts back.

Zerton Sep 27, 2016 8:51 PM

Got some intel that this miiigght not be going ahead.

Steely Dan Sep 27, 2016 9:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 7571082)
A rep several weeks ago told me there could be movement in October.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerton (Post 7576404)
Got some intel that this miiigght not be going ahead.

hmmmmmm..... conflicting inside sources..... who to believe......

i know who i WANT to believe ;)