SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

combusean Sep 22, 2021 11:30 PM

I'm shocked the owner is tearing that thing down. Tho they only have a couple weeks to complete the demo.

Obadno Sep 24, 2021 7:11 PM

So I noticed the empty lot on Thomas next too the Guatemala consulate was having some work done and its part of the U-Haul HQ expansion, they are building a "flagship store" ie- the example of what U-Haul stores will look like going forward. Anyway I know its not the first time we knew about this but i noticed it moving and the Fitness Center looks good!

Not my first choice but at least its dense!

Full Doc: https://www.phoenix.gov/pddsite/Docu...Z/Z-64-19n.pdf

^^Page 39 for some decent massings of the street Presence

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...I-1ww&usqp=CAU

https://i.imgur.com/YRjv2Ot.jpeg

And the finished Fitness Center:
[IMG]https://media.bizj.us/view/img/12075285/u-haul01*750xx5472-3078-0-285.jpg[/IMG]

thespiandave Sep 26, 2021 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chestnut1 (Post 9404237)
Demo permits were pulled about a month ago...if this goes through, hopefully the lot won't sit vacant for awhile.

When I walked by yesterday morning, there was quite a bit of equipment being delivered. Looks like that’ll start this week!

azliam Sep 30, 2021 11:30 AM

Nice view of downtown. You can even see the crane for Moon Tower:

Video Link

somethingfast Sep 30, 2021 1:44 PM

starting to get some nice massing in most directions. short, yes, but decent massing finally. hate how big and ugly Chase looks (still). that behemoth looked good for about 5 years imho and is now an albatross downtown. really wish they could find a way to de-mass that roof. if they had built that thing 20 years later it would be half as tall and have a clear or semi-transparent roof structure. maybe one day...

michael85225 Sep 30, 2021 3:30 PM

We need a few buildings with some character, not everything has to have a flat top. I wish that Astra's tallest would have an angled roof or a snazzy looking crown on top. That's a huge missed opportunity for out new tallest. Maybe one day but I like how dense everything is getting downtown. Block 23 and Adeline really helped out that area and made things look complete. I was so sick of that unused lot at the Colliers center.

CrestedSaguaro Sep 30, 2021 4:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by somethingfast (Post 9411342)
starting to get some nice massing in most directions. short, yes, but decent massing finally. hate how big and ugly Chase looks (still). that behemoth looked good for about 5 years imho and is now an albatross downtown. really wish they could find a way to de-mass that roof. if they had built that thing 20 years later it would be half as tall and have a clear or semi-transparent roof structure. maybe one day...

If the Davis Chase proposal has any traction, that will address the roofline quite nicely. I can't wait until Moon, Palm, Sky and Astra are in these flyover videos.

PHX31 Sep 30, 2021 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9411568)
If the Davis Chase proposal has any traction, that will address the roofline quite nicely. I can't wait until Moon, Palm, Sky and Astra are in these flyover videos.

I think he was talking about Chase Field. I also can't wait until Astra especially. It's going to be a boon.

CrestedSaguaro Sep 30, 2021 5:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 9411606)
I think he was talking about Chase Field. I also can't wait until Astra especially. It's going to be a boon.

Oh yea, I guess probably so. I just kind of skimmed the posts. But I guess that tells you how I feel about the tower :haha:

Chase Field needs whittled down immensely. I'm not sure if they could rebuild the roof to have a flatter design, but it would probably be to costly and may as well build a new stadium at that point. I wonder with the Suns renovation and the Coyotes Tempe proposal if the Diamondback ownership is getting a little jealous and looking at doing something in the near future?

PHX31 Sep 30, 2021 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9411634)
Oh yea, I guess probably so. I just kind of skimmed the posts. But I guess that tells you how I feel about the tower :haha:

Chase Field needs whittled down immensely. I'm not sure if they could rebuild the roof to have a flatter design, but it would probably be to costly and may as well build a new stadium at that point. I wonder with the Suns renovation and the Coyotes Tempe proposal if the Diamondback ownership is getting a little jealous and looking at doing something in the near future?

I also thought he was talking about the tower at first, that's why I commented. I just can't believe Chase Field being replaced is even a thought. That just shows how old I am getting I guess. I vividly remember when it was being constructed and going to games in the beginning of the franchise. It was amazing. Now, not so much.

somethingfast Sep 30, 2021 5:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9411634)

Yep, totally referring to Chase Field. If D'backs even want in on the conversation of a funding partnership they sure as hell need to put a better product on the field. Chicken and egg relationship I know but this franchise has been in drift for the better part of a decade and a half...

Obadno Sep 30, 2021 8:20 PM

The Infill on the north end of town has really made a huge difference despite being low rise.

I Also wish the Convention Center south with the two additional towers would get moving.

Diamonddave Sep 30, 2021 8:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 9411888)
The Infill on the north end of town has really made a huge difference despite being low rise.

I Also wish the Convention Center south with the two additional towers would get moving.

Isn't the Southside of the convention center a city of Phoenix RFP we all know their history there.

MMDelon Sep 30, 2021 8:43 PM

Downtown looks good. Looks like Footprint Stadium is getting a new roof too. I am excited to see the next wave of development projects for Downtown Phoenix! Chase looks dusty.

CrestedSaguaro Sep 30, 2021 9:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MMDelon (Post 9411911)
Downtown looks good. Looks like Footprint Stadium is getting a new roof too. I am excited to see the next wave of development projects for Downtown Phoenix! Chase looks dusty.

It's also getting new cladding on the facade on the West and South walls including the parking garage. I didn't know they were going to do this much work on the outside of the arena. I don't recall seeing exterior renovation renderings and a quick search didn't find anything. Does anyone have them?

ASU Diablo Sep 30, 2021 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9411979)
It's also getting new cladding on the facade on the West and South walls including the parking garage. I didn't know they were going to do this much work on the outside of the arena. I don't recall seeing exterior renovation renderings and a quick search didn't find anything. Does anyone have them?

I remember reading an article that exterior renovations were to occur over the summer but not info was shared nor renderings were provided. I figured it was minor work but seems to be much more than that which is a pleasant surprise.

Did you happen to grab any pics? Might have to take a drive down there soon and check out the new FanDuel Sports Book at the same time :tup:

ASU Diablo Sep 30, 2021 11:28 PM

Random tweet to share from ABC15 but one of the pictures captures all the cranes at the TSMC site. That is nuts...

https://twitter.com/abc15/status/144...894539/photo/2

TJPHXskyscraperfan Oct 1, 2021 6:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azliam (Post 9411286)
Nice view of downtown. You can even see the crane for Moon Tower:

Video Link

Adeline looks real good from there

CrestedSaguaro Oct 1, 2021 3:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 9412067)
Random tweet to share from ABC15 but one of the pictures captures all the cranes at the TSMC site. That is nuts...

https://twitter.com/abc15/status/144...894539/photo/2

I drive by all the time going to Sonoran Preserve. There's even more going on than that closer to I-17 for all the infrastructure stuff they are working on. They are also extending Dove Valley West of I-17. It's an insane amount of construction.

Obadno Oct 1, 2021 3:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro (Post 9412463)
I drive by all the time going to Sonoran Preserve. There's even more going on than that closer to I-17 for all the infrastructure stuff they are working on. They are also extending Dove Valley West of I-17. It's an insane amount of construction.

As massive as this is its only phase one. and remember they are building a chemical plant to support it in Deer Valley and Intel broke ground on a fab of equal size just last week.

Between this and the EV car, aerospace there should be endless opportunity for local manufacturing companies as sub contractors and part suppliers. I think this explains the millions of sqft of industrial space that has and is being built every year here