SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Where should the 2026 World Cup final be held? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=254741)

iheartthed May 18, 2023 3:43 PM

Where should the 2026 World Cup final be held?

Steely Dan May 18, 2023 3:47 PM

Kansas City

It's the most centrally located of the group.

Crawford May 18, 2023 3:51 PM

The final is being held in Metlife Stadium.

Are you saying where should it be held, in an alternate universe? I'd imagine that WC finals are typically held in the major soccer/sports stadium of one of the largest/most important cities. Usually the decision is pretty easy, as countries typically have a national stadium.

sopas ej May 18, 2023 4:03 PM

I didn't realize the final game venue was already decided.

I was gonna say Mexico City/Estadio Azteca. It holds the most people out of all the other venues.

And yeah, soccer is very popular in Mexico, moreso than the US and Canada. WTF.

Estadio Azteca
https://media.istockphoto.com/id/102...Hmq7jTa8C1Gxs=

Ah what the hell, I voted for it on this poll.

LosAngelesSportsFan May 18, 2023 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 9947532)

Are you saying where should it be held, in an alternate universe? I'd imagine that WC finals are typically held in the major soccer/sports stadium of one of the largest/most important cities. Usually the decision is pretty easy, as countries typically have a national stadium.

That has not been confirmed. It's between met life, sofi and jerryworld

iheartthed May 18, 2023 4:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 9947532)

That's not decided yet.

iheartthed May 18, 2023 4:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 9947524)
Kansas City

It's the most centrally located of the group.

But it is probably the most inconvenient for international travelers.

thoughtcriminal May 18, 2023 4:46 PM

it hasn't been decided, but one of the FIFA criteria for the WC final is that the stadium hold at least 80,000 seats. Also FIFA has said that the final will be in the US. That narrows the field down considerably to NJ (Met Life) and Dallas (AT&T).
But where *should* it be held?
Philadelphia, obviously.

Steely Dan May 18, 2023 5:01 PM

^ Wikipedia says SoFi in LA is expandable up to 100K for "major events", and I think a WC final would qualify as a major event.

And arrowhead's NFL capacity is 76.5K, so that could almost certainly be upped a few thousand to meet FIFA's 80K requirement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9947567)
But it is probably the most inconvenient for international travelers.

But it's most convenient for me.

And that's far more important.

Kngkyle May 18, 2023 5:09 PM

I went with SoFi because it's the latest and greatest in terms of stadium design / amenities. Also LA is already a large soccer market with a significant hispanic population.

isaidso May 18, 2023 5:20 PM

There was never a snow ball's chance in hell that the 2026 United (States) World Cup Final would go to any country other than the United States. It's not a 3 way 'united' World Cup no matter how hard they try to market it as such.

TempleGuy1000 May 18, 2023 5:24 PM

July 4th, 2026 in Philadelphia. A quarter millennium since our forefathers gathered there on the same day to create the United States of America.

Doady May 18, 2023 5:51 PM

Mercedes-Benz is the largest company by far, with annual revenue of 168 billion Euros, so Mercedes-Benz Stadium is the most likely choice.

pdxtex May 18, 2023 6:06 PM

Not in the fffn desert.

pdxtex May 18, 2023 6:07 PM

Not in the fffn desert. I vote Monterrey. Halfway up, halfwY down.

mhays May 18, 2023 6:33 PM

I'd like to make a case for Seattle...edge of Downtown, good transit, open-air, reasonably big, decent air connections, neighboring stadium and exhibition hall for related events (will be key to MLB All Star Game this year), decent Downtown hotel count, ability to park cruise ships within walking distance...

But it'll go to a bigger city and apparently a bigger stadium. Air connections for any city would be augmented by special flights.

TempleGuy1000 May 18, 2023 6:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 9947791)
I'd like to make a case for Seattle...edge of Downtown, good transit, open-air, reasonably big, decent air connections, neighboring stadium and exhibition hall for related events (will be key to MLB All Star Game this year), decent Downtown hotel count, ability to park cruise ships within walking distance...

But it'll go to a bigger city and apparently a bigger stadium. Air connections for any city would be augmented by special flights.

All-Star Game headed to Philly in 2026 - MLB.com

You could be describing Philly since we have the All-Star game that July too :tup: We have a number of major events and construction projects planned for 2026.

But no, Seattle would be a unique setting

Edit: I think you meant actually this year and not that year. my mistake.

SFBruin May 18, 2023 6:46 PM

I could see it in several places.

mhays May 18, 2023 7:02 PM

Yes, MLB this year. A big event really benefits from neighboring facilities.

City Nerd just did a good video on stadium urbanity BTW. Philly scored well for clustering and transit but poorly for putting everything in a giant sea of parking.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtGU...annel=CityNerd

MAC123 May 18, 2023 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Doady (Post 9947729)
Mercedes-Benz is the largest company by far, with annual revenue of 168 billion Euros, so Mercedes-Benz Stadium is the most likely choice.

What does the name on the building have to do with anything about where the final will be held?

It's completely irrelevant