SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Wolf Point - East Tower | 679 FT | 62 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228891)

BonoboZill4 May 1, 2019 3:07 AM

Best glass of the cycle, there I said it

donnie May 1, 2019 3:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8558053)

She's looking clean but i still give it to NEMA! :cheers:

vexxed82 May 1, 2019 3:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie (Post 8558086)

I do love NEMA's color. Sort of a smokey grey-green. Definitely unique.

Skyguy_7 May 1, 2019 12:20 PM

The vertical "stripe" seen in the glass on the west elevation is really beginning to become apparent in BVic's first shot. Love it. Also BVic, your photography skills have improved quite a bit of late. :cheers:

HomrQT May 1, 2019 1:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8558053)

Quote:

Originally Posted by donnie (Post 8558086)

Quote:

Originally Posted by vexxed82 (Post 8558098)
I do love NEMA's color. Sort of a smokey grey-green. Definitely unique.

Would be interesting to see a poll on who has the best glass this cycle. Wolf Point, NEMA, or Vista.

F1 Tommy May 1, 2019 2:11 PM

These window frames look like they will be ice collectors during the winter. I would not walk under this building after a snow or ice storm. As for favorite glass after all is said and done, I think Vista will win easily once they finish it in 2021 :). Kidding, but they sure are going slow!!

HomrQT May 1, 2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1 Tommy (Post 8558342)
These window frames look like they will be ice collectors during the winter. I would not walk under this building after a snow or ice storm. As for favorite glass after all is said and done, I think Vista will win easily once they finish it in 2021 :). Kidding, but they sure are going slow!!

I see what you mean and didn't even think of that. I wonder how much consideration about that was given by the architect.

BonoboZill4 May 2, 2019 1:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HomrQT (Post 8558322)
Would be interesting to see a poll on who has the best glass this cycle. Wolf Point, NEMA, or Vista.

To be honest, Vista's glass system is awful though... Like on a holistic level the facade will look pretty good, but its glass is really cheap, probably the cheapest looking glass panels I've seen on a supertall in my life.

Paragon, 150N Riverside, WPE, 444 W Lake, and perhaps even Essex have superior glass to Vista. Vista might not crack into the top ten for this cycle by the end with OCS, 400 LSD, Tribune, 130 N Franklin, Equinox and several other towers potential glass heavy towers coming down the pipeline

The Pimp May 2, 2019 1:50 AM

1. WPE 2. NEMA 3. Vista.

HomrQT May 2, 2019 2:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8559278)
To be honest, Vista's glass system is awful though... Like on a holistic level the facade will look pretty good, but its glass is really cheap, probably the cheapest looking glass panels I've seen on a supertall in my life.

Paragon, 150N Riverside, WPE, 444 W Lake, and perhaps even Essex have superior glass to Vista. Vista might not crack into the top ten for this cycle by the end with OCS, 400 LSD, Tribune, 130 N Franklin, Equinox and several other towers potential glass heavy towers coming down the pipeline

I'm out of the loop for Vista having bad glass. Cheap looking as in heavy warping/distortion in the reflection? Cheap looking as in kind of plastic looking?

F1 Tommy May 2, 2019 4:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8559278)

Wolf Point East glass framework kind of looks sterile to me. I think they tried to hard with the details and over did it.

I was looking at Vista up close also and I think part of the problem is the glass panels are very dirty due to all the on site work being done on them. It is really an amazing how poorly planned Vista's glasswork is but it should still look amazing when done, better than Wolf Point East IMO.

nomarandlee May 2, 2019 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1 Tommy (Post 8559730)
Wolf Point East glass framework kind of looks sterile to me. I think they tried to hard with the details and over did it.

I tend to agree. I don't even think it has the best glass at Wolf Point (WPW) let alone the whole boom cycle.

bhawk66 May 2, 2019 8:04 PM

Essex glass is tight. That building is growing in understated elegance the more I see it. Look forward to seeing it lit up from within.

BonoboZill4 May 2, 2019 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by F1 Tommy (Post 8559730)

I was looking at Vista up close also and I think part of the problem is the glass panels are very dirty due to all the on site work being done on them. It is really an amazing how poorly planned Vista's glasswork is but it should still look amazing when done, better than Wolf Point East IMO.

My beef comes not just from the quality of the glass but is then compounded with the fact that they made no effort to hide the giant concrete walls of the tower. Compare that to a building like the Legacy where it has seamless curtain wall with no hiccups. Unfortunately, because they didn't do a curtain wall, they just have exposed concrete behind glass that looks tacky and cheap (to me that is.)

From far away though, I still love this tower, and it might have my favorite structural design of a tower that I've seen built in my lifetime(in Chicago). I would certainly never argue that WPE is a better tower :tup:

harryc May 2, 2019 11:54 PM

April 26

May 1

BrinChi May 5, 2019 5:03 AM

https://i.imgur.com/GEnhcO2.jpg

PittsburghPA May 5, 2019 5:10 AM

Great picture BrinChi. I believe that is the first we are seeing that view.

Does anyone know if that was the final crane jump?

Blahshead May 5, 2019 4:24 PM

^300 N Lasalle looking very good from that angle

PittsburghPA May 5, 2019 4:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blahshead (Post 8562907)
^300 N Lasalle looking very good from that angle

Agreed, it also looks MASSIVE from that angle.

BonoboZill4 May 5, 2019 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PittsburghPA (Post 8562910)
Agreed, it also looks MASSIVE from that angle.

Well, to be fair, that's because it is massive :haha: