SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

vandypandybear Feb 22, 2019 11:07 PM

Since we haven't seen an updated skyline photo in a while:
https://i.imgur.com/eNAMgcI.jpg

ASU Diablo Feb 23, 2019 4:20 AM

Meow Wolf to bring hotel, immersive art venue to Roosevelt Row

Well this concept sounds pretty exciting...still going to be years out however. True North is on fire...it's going on the recently purchased lot across from Songbird

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...-venue-to.html

Quote:

Meow Wolf, an immersive, interactive art experience, is coming to the Roosevelt Row Arts District.

After visiting Meow Wolf and experiencing the exhibit, True North Studio Principal Developer Jonathon Vento said he knew he had to find a way to bring it to Phoenix.

“As a 55-year-old guy who has traveled the world, I thought I had seen about everything,” he said. “But this shook me to my core. It made me want to be a better businessperson, a better person. It is indescribable. It has been a pursuit on my part to introduce Phoenix to Meow Wolf.”

Vento called the Santa Fe, New Mexico-based exhibition “nothing short of the world’s best exhibition and destination.”

Vento, the project developer whose studio is based on Roosevelt Row, said Phoenix’s art scene resonates perfectly with what Meow Wolf is all about.

“When I left Meow Wolf, I sat in my car in the parking lot, dumbfounded,” he said. “I called until I found out who the CEO was, and his cell phone. I called and left him a message and said, ‘Hi, I’m Jonathon, you don’t know me, but we are going to be best friends.’”

From a business perspective, an expansion to Phoenix made perfect sense for Meow Wolf. The company started looking at Phoenix about two years ago, but the project didn’t gain much traction at the time,Vince Kadlubek, Meow Wolf co-founder and CEO, told the Business Journal.

“A lot of our guests in Santa Fe come from the Phoenix market,” said Kadlubek. “It’s one of our top three markets, so from a business perspective it makes sense.”

Meow Wolf’s Phoenix location, which will be built at 811-817 N. Third St., will include a 75,000 square-foot exhibition area complete with a 10,000-square-foot music and performance venue.

The Phoenix location also will be Meow Wolf’s first to include a hotel, which will be approximately 400 rooms designed by local artists that explore all forms of overnight experiences, including faux-glamping, capsule rooms, communal hostel environments, absurd luxury suites, as well as lodging inside the art exhibition itself.

Cost estimates for the project are not available as those involved say it is too early. True North bought the property that will house Meow Wolf's project for $2.15 million last month.

The Santa Fe exhibit, which is the only Meow Wolf location open and functioning, is called the “House of Eternal Return,” and the first space visitors encounter is a house with bedrooms. Kadlubek said the company received many requests from guests to be able to stay the night in the house, but turned them down because the exhibition was not designed for overnight stays.

“That got us thinking, how cool would it be for parts of the exhibit to be for overnight-stay opportunities?” Kadlubek said.

While it will be a “years-long” process before the Phoenix location opens, Kadlubek said he envisions going around the state to engage with local creative communities to showcase local art at the installation.

“Much of the project will be driven by and designed by locals,” he said, adding there have not been any details finalized about how the project will look or what visitors should expect of the Phoenix location.

“This tells a story and puts people inside of incredible, beautiful spaces that are family-friendly, imaginative, incredible environments to play, take pictures, hang out and explore,” Kadlubek said.

Phoenix is Meow Wolf’s fifth permanent location to be announced. In addition to the first location operating in Santa Fe, the company has locations under construction in Las Vegas and Denver, and recently announced plans to build a permanent location in Washington, D.C.

The Meow Wolf project is the latest in a flurry of activity for True North Studio in downtown Phoenix.

TJPHXskyscraperfan Feb 23, 2019 9:29 AM

It would be cool to see snow on the mountains.

exit2lef Feb 23, 2019 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASU Diablo (Post 8484498)
Well this concept sounds pretty exciting...still going to be years out however.

I've visited Meow Wolf's "House of Eternal Return" in Santa Fe twice. My kids liked it so much that one of them asked the staff if she could live there. Now, we'll have the option of a staycation in a Meow Wolf hotel. It's a pretty amazing development and one that should refute the notion that Roosevelt Row is no longer an arts district.

ASU Diablo Feb 23, 2019 5:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 8484602)
I've visited Meow Wolf's "House of Eternal Return" in Santa Fe twice. My kids liked it so much that one of them asked the staff if she could live there. Now, we'll have the option of a staycation in a Meow Wolf hotel. It's a pretty amazing development and one that should refute the notion that Roosevelt Row is no longer an arts district.

Agreed. Just saw on Meow Wolf IG mention not till 2024

somethingfast Feb 23, 2019 7:07 PM

^ nice pic up there - thanks for sharing !

vandypandybear Feb 23, 2019 8:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TJPHXskyscraperfan (Post 8484587)
It would be cool to see snow on the mountains.

Couldn't get any good snow picks from that angle. You'll have to check the Tempe thread for some snow.

Phxguy Feb 24, 2019 12:30 AM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abq...oject.html/amp

While it already been mentioned, the ABQ Times gives us a bit more info on the Meow Wolf project, calling it a “20-plus story” building and possibly being completed in 2022, which is 2 years earlier than what a different article mentioned.

Obadno Feb 24, 2019 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8485023)
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.abq...oject.html/amp

While it already been mentioned, the ABQ Times gives us a bit more info on the Meow Wolf project, calling it a “20-plus story” building and possibly being completed in 2022, which is 2 years earlier than what a different article mentioned.

I dont really understand what this is but it seems weird as hell so bring it on.

Edit: The more I read about it the more it seems like this is "creative house" Apparently Meow Wolf has been planning it for a couple of years which is when Creative House first came about.

haux Feb 25, 2019 5:51 AM

Here's a picture of The Link from Friday. I don't think it's tall enough to get any snow up top. ;) As you can see, work is progressing on the roof level. Driving in from the east (I was in the Superstitions to photograph the snow) is fun because it's easy to see how much it adds to the skyline. The light and dark colors and the angled roof panels make it really stand out.

https://i.imgur.com/oWZe0D1.jpg

TakeFive Feb 25, 2019 5:59 AM

I know several people who have visited the Santa Fe exhibit and thought it was awesome.

CrestedSaguaro Feb 25, 2019 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8485479)
I dont really understand what this is but it seems weird as hell so bring it on.

Edit: The more I read about it the more it seems like this is "creative house" Apparently Meow Wolf has been planning it for a couple of years which is when Creative House first came about.

Not the same development. Creative House would be much taller than 200' and in a different proposed location (currently on the SW corner of 2nd St/Portland in the newest Ro2 renderings). This is on the new lot that is chained off 3rd just behind Roosevelt Point.

Obadno Feb 25, 2019 3:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8486149)
Not the same development. Creative House would be much taller than 200' and in a different proposed location (currently on the SW corner of 2nd St/Portland in the newest Ro2 renderings). This is on the new lot that is chained off 3rd just behind Roosevelt Point.

Creative house doesn't have a final location, we've seen it in two potential spots, this art project has been in the planning for years and they have considerd multiple locations

ASU Diablo Feb 25, 2019 11:07 PM

Roland's has closed. Here's what Chris Bianco has planned for the space

Sucks that Roland's Market concept wasn't as successful as they hoped but they're turning it around into Pane Bianco Van Buren. I've been to the one one Central and it's pretty good.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...on/2982440002/

But then, it's great to see Chris Bianco's partnership continue w/ the Tacos Chiwas team as they will be collaborating once more in re-doing The Normal Diner at the Graduate Hotel near ASU. Gonna have to check it out next time before we watch a show at Gammage.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ente...el/1897380002/

exit2lef Feb 25, 2019 11:39 PM

Bianco seems to have the luxury of playing with different concepts in various spaces, seeing what works and what doesn't, and letting things fail before finally deciding on a final idea. He did that with the space that is now Tratto at Town & Country, and he's changed the details at Pane Bianco's original location on Central several times over the years.

I think part of the problem with Roland's was that is was too far removed from anything else that would appeal to the same clientele. Welcome Diner and Gallo Blanco seem to be doing well in Garfield, but they're nearly a mile to the west and closer to Downtown and Roosevelt Row.

DesertRay Feb 26, 2019 1:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 8487024)
Bianco seems to have the luxury of playing with different concepts in various spaces, seeing what works and what doesn't, and letting things fail before finally deciding on a final idea. He did that with the space that is now Tratto at Town & Country, and he's changed the details at Pane Bianco's original location on Central several times over the years.

I think part of the problem with Roland's was that is was too far removed from anything else that would appeal to the same clientele. Welcome Diner and Gallo Blanco seem to be doing well in Garfield, but they're nearly a mile to the west and closer to Downtown and Roosevelt Row.

Went there several times, and it was usually empty. It was too expensive for the amount of food they served to serve the people who live around there. It was not splurging-y enough for people to drive there, and it didn't have the variety for the people who work there. I think the sandwich concept would work best. Adding pastries and roasted coffee for the morning set would also work well. Hope this eventually sticks, since this is a gorgeous building.

biggus diggus Feb 26, 2019 1:16 AM

That's a big blow to the continued gentrification of Garfield.

exit2lef Feb 26, 2019 2:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRay (Post 8487169)
It was too expensive for the amount of food they served to serve the people who live around there.

I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one who felt that way. I had a burrito there once. It was good, but I remember thinking that I could have had something equally good but more filling just a few blocks away at Rito's.

DesertRay Feb 26, 2019 2:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by exit2lef (Post 8487248)
I'm glad to learn I'm not the only one who felt that way. I had a burrito there once. It was good, but I remember thinking that I could have had something equally good but more filling just a few blocks away at Rito's.

Yup. I think that the Tacos Chiwas youngsters will still do great work, but this isn't the kind of place that can fill the seats unless you give folks a reason to drive here. Coffee and pastries that blow your socks off would do that in the morning (especially in a part of town that doesn't have much of that). You could make it a gentrification center if you make it twee, but that's not the Bianco way. I think that having the Pane concept in there and building it out makes a lot of sense. I love his sandwiches and pizzas, and would love to see him bring something a bit different here.

muertecaza Feb 26, 2019 3:34 PM

Apologies if already discussed but looks like a bar is taking over the former Charming Charlie's space at a City Scape. Posted liquor license application says 'Dog Haus Biergarten.'