SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

Classical in Phoenix Sep 27, 2018 6:38 PM

Does anyone know if there are Tower Crane Apps for Kenect, Palmcourt or the AC Hotel?

Phxguy Sep 27, 2018 7:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by azliam (Post 8328125)

This was the rendering floating around at the time of community meeting concerning 200W Monroe. The people representing this project admitted they didn’t have the most up-to-date renderings, showing this one instead. Haven’t seen an update since then.

CrestedSaguaro Sep 27, 2018 7:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8328155)
This is supposed to be some offices but mostly multi-family (350 units?) for tower one with tower to to come.... "later" (we know how that goes).

We never really got a clear renderign though, how iminent is the project once the tower crane app is in usually?

Not sure on the timeframe as it seems to vary. The FAA recommends at least 45 days prior to the start of construction before submitting an evaluation. The evaluation is good for 18 months I believe. So I guess it just depends on when they decide to submit and build.

Phxguy Oct 1, 2018 6:04 PM

Rott 'n Grapes and State 48 Brewery are now open. Check them out! Also noticed neon lights over the entrance of the yet-to-open Sazerac bar at 2nd St and Garfield last night. News about this venue has so been hush hush, I haven't heard or read much of anything since the original "press release."

Obadno Oct 1, 2018 6:19 PM

State 48 was pretty good, Im very excited to see the old cathedral come to fruition and hopefully the Van Buren/1st ave project completed. Former couple of dead blocks are now a nice thriving area.

Hopefully the Infamous motels along van Buren will be torn down in the coming years.

PHXFlyer11 Oct 1, 2018 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8331883)
State 48 was pretty good, Im very excited to see the old cathedral come to fruition and hopefully the Van Buren/1st ave project completed. Former couple of dead blocks are now a nice thriving area.

Hopefully the Infamous motels along van Buren will be torn down in the coming years.

Was trying to make it to State 48 on Saturday bud didn't. How is the food? I don't think I've tried any of their beers ever either...

Obadno Oct 1, 2018 7:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 8331990)
Was trying to make it to State 48 on Saturday bud didn't. How is the food? I don't think I've tried any of their beers ever either...

Not incredible but not bad either. Satisfactory on both accounts good enough for a casual brewery in the neighborhood. :tup:

Ill have to see in a few weeks once they get things going.

Jjs5056 Oct 1, 2018 8:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8322830)
This week, it seems, is just one of those periods where development news pours like liquid gold from a fresh spring.

So, I take that the cocktail concept opening in the Heard Building won't have any impact on the largely-visible Central-facing retail suite if the entrance will be in the alley. Man, if you clean up the dumpsters and throw in some neon signs, this alleyway will be like any found in Tokyo. Maybe even string some lights across and increase the lighting to let newcomers know the alley is meant to be traversed.

There's one more retail pad south of Oh My Poki which is deserving of a candidate. Otherwise, this corner will be filled. Wonder if there are plans for the Pizza Hut building at Pierce/1st. Sigh, *Pipe dream warning*, with the vacancy of Pizza Hut, it would awesome if the Central-facing half of the block could be filled with permanent stalls for the Phoenix Public Market in a brick warehouse with a glass roofing. Atop which is a large glowing Public Market signage ala Seattle Market. And the other half of the block would have apartments facing 1st. Sorry, hard not to get carried away.

That's great news about the Pizza Hut relocation; filling retail at the bottom of a garage in that location would be extremely challenging, so I am totally fine with a mix of fast and fast-casual restaurants that activate both VB and 1st Ave; at its peak, the garage only ever had Sonoma. Additionally, vacating their prime 1st St location is a big opportunity for the EC/RRow area.

1st Street has a ton of strong 'bones' left despite the somewhat crappy streetscape project. It essentially connects CityScape to the Convention Center to ASU and through RRow to Hance. The block between Polk and McKinley is already a great mix of local restaurant options and Pizza Hut stood out like a sore thumb. The building looks large enough for multiple tenants, and I believe the structures to the north have empty space, too. I would love to see something like a Spanish restaurant/nightclub, Ethiopian restaurant, or Indian/Henna combination... something building off the Italian, Irish, and Jamaican themes and bringing nightlife and/or retail.

I think it would be great for a hotel to incorporate the public market lot into a plaza design with most of its footprint being along McKinley.

BOSA Donuts at Summit is... interesting. I am happy to see a non-office use on Jackson, but if it was going to be sweets-related, a Gelato Spot or other option that encouraged all-hour lounging would have been preferred. There should be space for another retailer/eatery, maybe a sports-themed bar or 24-hr diner?

Not sure how I feel about the Bitter&Twisted concept going on the 4th floor of the Marriott. If they were going to leave the street level retail-free, I would rather the focus be on driving patrons to the Luhrs storefronts than upstairs.

Jjs5056 Oct 1, 2018 8:25 PM

What is the project at 1st ave/VB?

Also, any word on the upgrades being made to Chase? I wouldn't expect more than cosmetic touchups, but the setbacks are so massive that multistory buildings could legitimately be added along the perimeter. I think the Central/Monroe corner should remain as the focal entrance, with 3-7 story infill along Central and the corner of 1st St/Monroe. In a dream world, the garage would go-- I have always thought that would be an ideal location for a grander Symphony Hall.

RE: APS substation -- I hope the ASU location is nixed. That entire 411 building and garage needs be redeveloped; no reason that the DT satellite of ASU can't front Central Ave and its student mall with retail like an ASU Barnes and Noble, Windows/Apple, Hallmark, Snooze, Pita Pit, Blik Art Supplies, SAKS, or Target.

Finally, Hance is a total letdown but the scaling back was pretty much inevitable. The cloud was never going to happen nor was it going to help the lack of visibility. It's a shame that a greater pedestrian pathway was not created amidst the sea of parking for Portland on the Park and FOUND:RE, as the sides are where the park will have to gain foot traffic as the Central entrances are never going to work. Extending Culver is a start, but there's no reason there aren't grander pedestrian entries on both 3rd ave and streets, as well as directional signage for parking etc. It would have also been great for the 1st Street streetscape to have considered its entrance into the park but alas...

I do wonder where all of the 'attractions' have gone, which would make the park safe and useful at most hours: the ball courts, climbing wall, etc. Food options are nice, but require leases... downtown needs recreation amenities and this would have been an easy way to draw a crowd. The worst part for Hance is the lack of immediate density/options for future high density. The project on 3rd Street - midrise office and apartments - and several other midrises and SFH will make it tough. Portland on the Park-type densities make parks successful IMO.

CrestedSaguaro Oct 1, 2018 8:45 PM

Quote:

Downtown Phoenix 'Workforce Housing' Developer Proposes About $1,000 Per Month In Rent
Quote:

A proposed high rise at the Arizona Center is sparking discussion about who can afford to live downtown and how to add workforce housing.

According to Phoenix’s Economic Development Department, the term "workforce housing" currently applies to annual household incomes between $39,462 and $59,194.

The latest high rise proposal at the northwest corner of 5th and Van Buren streets is called Palm Court Tower. It would include 370 structure parking spaces and more than 350 apartments, with 20 set aside for workforce housing.

Nick Wood, a representative for North American Development Group, told a council subcommittee earlier this month that workforce rents would be about $1,000 per month. He said rising costs for materials and labor make high-rises more challenging than smaller buildings.

RELATED: Does Downtown Phoenix Need More Workforce Housing?

“The margins are pretty thin,” Wood said. “You’re looking at about a six percent margin on all of the high rise development and when you add a GPLET to it, you’re adding maybe another .7 percent to 1 percent to that margin.”

A Government Property Lease Excise Tax (GPLET) is a way for government to offer tax breaks to developers. It involves the city owning the land and leasing it to developers who pay lower property taxes than if they owned the land.

The GPLET for Palm Court Tower at the Arizona Center, the GPLET would last eight years if the city council approves.

“We have a need in the city of Phoenix and it’s workforce units,” Councilwoman Laura Pastor said.

Downtown Phoenix
Christina Estes/KJZZ

The Phoenix City Council is expected to vote on a luxury high-rise proposal that will include property tax breaks and a certain number of workforce housing units.

She asked staff to work with the developer to try to boost the number of workforce units before the proposal comes before the full council and it looks like that has happened.

The agenda for the Oct. 3 formal council meeting includes a report on the Palm Court Tower proposal. The original 20 workforce units has been replaced with "10 percent will be reserved for workforce housing." The report says the project will consist of 354 units.

During a presentation before the subcommittee, Christine Mackay, the city’s economic development director, said the parcel was originally intended to be developed as part of the Arizona Center, but has sat vacant since at least the late 1980s.
https://kjzz.org/content/705897/down...000-month-rent

Obadno Oct 1, 2018 9:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jjs5056 (Post 8332094)

I said the Wrong block, 2nd/3rd ave and Van Buren

ASU Diablo Oct 1, 2018 9:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Obadno (Post 8332142)

The apartment complex right? If so, it's the 5th/6th Ave block :cheers:

CrestedSaguaro Oct 1, 2018 9:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 8332147)
The apartment complex right? If so, it's the 5th/6th Ave block :cheers:

Quote:

Quote:

I'm lost... :???:

ASU Diablo Oct 1, 2018 9:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RonnieFoos (Post 8332153)
I'm lost... :???:

LOL. Unless he was talking about the HB Monroe tower...which is that 2nd Ave/VB block

Obadno Oct 1, 2018 9:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 8332159)
LOL. Unless he was talking about the HB Monroe tower...which is that 2nd Ave/VB block

Thats what Im talking about

ASU Diablo Oct 1, 2018 11:27 PM

Demo notice sign up at 301 W Roosevelt St

muertecaza Oct 2, 2018 1:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by airomero83 (Post 8332268)
Demo notice sign up at 301 W Roosevelt St

Most recent plan review has this one at 5 stories, 70 apartments. Anyone know if there are renderings?

Phxguy Oct 2, 2018 1:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muertecaza (Post 8332418)
Most recent plan review has this one at 5 stories, 70 apartments. Anyone know if there are renderings?

There are renderings in this thread but buried somewhere. They looked like a project in Mesa which seemed to be majority brick facade and a rooftop covered in solar panels.

Update: Did some digging, turns out it was in mid-rise and low-rise thread on Page 38.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...87#post8130487

https://i.imgur.com/Car6Ga2h.jpg

fawd Oct 2, 2018 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phxguy (Post 8332434)
There are renderings in this thread but buried somewhere. They looked like a project in Mesa which seemed to be majority brick facade and a rooftop covered in solar panels.

Update: Did some digging, turns out it was in mid-rise and low-rise thread on Page 38.

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...87#post8130487

https://i.imgur.com/Car6Ga2h.jpg

I'm a big fan of brick exteriors with these smaller 3-6story projects. They age MUCH better in my opinion.

CrestedSaguaro Oct 2, 2018 4:19 PM

Some info on Taylor Place's 10th Anniversary and ASU's plans to add more student housing Downtown:

http://www.statepress.com/article/20...ar-anniversary