SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Wolf Point - East Tower | 679 FT | 62 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=228891)

rgarri4 Nov 4, 2017 2:06 PM

^^^ Have they started painting the Apparel Center in that first picture?

harryc Nov 4, 2017 5:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarri4 (Post 7976077)
^^^ Have they started painting the Apparel Center in that first picture?

Yes - good catch

Oct 30



Nov 3

left of center Nov 4, 2017 7:38 PM

^ Is that the new color, or just a primer?

The sooner these Wolf Point towers go up, the sooner we won't have to see the fugly Apparel Center cap the south branch river canyon.

rgarri4 Nov 5, 2017 3:42 AM

^^^I made all the renderings for this renovation, so I can say this isn't the final color. Unless there was a last minute change.

10023 Nov 5, 2017 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 7976299)
^ Is that the new color, or just a primer?

The sooner these Wolf Point towers go up, the sooner we won't have to see the fugly Apparel Center cap the south branch river canyon.

Will they ever tear that thing down?

The Lurker Nov 5, 2017 1:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 7976636)
Will they ever tear that thing down?

They're not going to implode a two million square foot structure just because its 'ugly'. Do you know what that would cost?

Lets start by first completing the Wolf Point towers and then flattening the much more offensive East Bank Club across the street and replace it with a row of new towers along the North branch. A new fitness center could be incorporated into the base. I can see that happening in the next decade.

left of center Nov 5, 2017 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 7976636)
Will they ever tear that thing down?

Unfortunately, I don't think that's too likely. I would assume the property is profitable in its current form, and it appears to be structurally sound. Its most impressive southern views will be blocked by Wolf Point, eliminating any premium for it to be replaced by a luxury condo project. Then there's the fact that its a massive 2 million SF whole block complex, making demolition an expensive affair.

Its probably going to be around for a very long time.

Steely Dan Nov 5, 2017 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 7976636)
Will they ever tear that thing down?

I don't think it will still be standing there 5,000 years from now giza pyramid style, but I'd bet a significant amount of money that it will outlast all our lifetimes. The thing is a beast of big giant floorplates, and it appears to be in good shape; someone would have to be awfully foolish with their money to voluntarily wave goobye to all of the perfectly serviceable, revenue generating floor space just because its exterior is rather unattractive.

10023 Nov 5, 2017 5:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Lurker (Post 7976672)
They're not going to implode a two million square foot structure just because its 'ugly'. Do you know what that would cost?

Lets start by first completing the Wolf Point towers and then flattening the much more offensive East Bank Club across the street and replace it with a row of new towers along the North branch. A new fitness center could be incorporated into the base. I can see that happening in the next decade.

Well it happens in more expensive real estate markets. But you're right, it's unlikely in Chicago, because the downtown area isn't fully built out and there are cheaper places to build.

That said, they are considering demolishing the Thompson Center, which would seem to me to be just as prohibitive in terms of cost. And while the building needs work, it also has more architectural merit.

emathias Nov 5, 2017 5:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 7976815)
Well it happens in more expensive real estate markets. But you're right, it's unlikely in Chicago, because the downtown area isn't fully built out and there are cheaper places to build.

That said, they are considering demolishing the Thompson Center, which would seem to me to be just as prohibitive in terms of cost. And while the building needs work, it also has more architectural merit.

While overall Chicago real estate is rather a good deal, the central business district of Chicago is second only to Manhattan is price per acre in the U.S. Not quite as cheap as people assume.

i_am_hydrogen Nov 6, 2017 5:45 PM

Chicago River turns odd shade of teal at Wolf Point
 
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ch...-of-two-toned/

https://suntimesmedia.files.wordpres...3186.jpg?w=763
https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ch...-of-two-toned/

woodrow Nov 6, 2017 6:49 PM

^^I noticed that. Then I thought "No, you are not really seeing that color." Ha. good to know i am not losing my vision/mind.

Skyguy_7 Nov 6, 2017 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarri4 (Post 7976559)
^^^I made all the renderings for this renovation, so I can say this isn't the final color. Unless there was a last minute change.

Very cool. Care to share them? Or at least tell us the final color?

The Lurker Nov 7, 2017 3:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 7976815)
Well it happens in more expensive real estate markets. But you're right, it's unlikely in Chicago, because the downtown area isn't fully built out and there are cheaper places to build.

That said, they are considering demolishing the Thompson Center, which would seem to me to be just as prohibitive in terms of cost. And while the building needs work, it also has more architectural merit.

While the Thompson Center is certainly more architecturally significant its wildy inefficient and expensive to maintain. I hope they don't tear it down personally but that would seem the more likely scenario

DePaul Bunyan Nov 8, 2017 4:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 7976815)
Well it happens in more expensive real estate markets. But you're right, it's unlikely in Chicago, because the downtown area isn't fully built out and there are cheaper places to build.

That said, they are considering demolishing the Thompson Center, which would seem to me to be just as prohibitive in terms of cost. And while the building needs work, it also has more architectural merit.

The Thompson Center is a shitheap that has been poorly maintained and neglected by the state since it was completed. It's also underutilized in terms of tax revenue since the tenants are all basically government and it sits on arguably the most desirable piece of land in the Loop in terms of transit access. The city could eat the cost of the demolition and still come out way ahead in the short term if the site is properly developed.

And our illustrious leaders in Springfield have already counted revenue from the future sale of the Thompson Center for the most recent (still out-of-balance) budget, so it's going to be demolished eventually.

left of center Nov 9, 2017 1:10 AM

^ If it leads to a potential supertall, I think it would be worth its demolition. Supposedly the city would rezone that spot for very high density, and no height limits. Honestly, its probably the best use for the land, considering it sits on one of the busiest CTA stations with connections to 6 of the 8 lines in the system.

Its a nice building otherwise, with a breathtaking atrium. Too bad the state let it rot.

SolarWind Nov 9, 2017 2:16 AM

November 8, 2017




10023 Nov 9, 2017 9:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 7980493)
^ If it leads to a potential supertall, I think it would be worth its demolition. Supposedly the city would rezone that spot for very high density, and no height limits. Honestly, its probably the best use for the land, considering it sits on one of the busiest CTA stations with connections to 6 of the 8 lines in the system.

Its a nice building otherwise, with a breathtaking atrium. Too bad the state let it rot.

Zero chance they build a supertall. Something as underwhelming as Block 37 is more likely. Don't get your hopes up.

KWillChicago Nov 9, 2017 10:51 AM

Can anyone explain how they get these Cat/Deere machines out of the hole they are digging after the hole is dug? I figured the rolling crain could lift them out and take the weight. It's one one of those things I've always wondered about but have not ever had the opportunity to see. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. I'm looking at you Harry. Haha.

Busy Bee Nov 9, 2017 2:09 PM

^You got it

http://www.craneblogger.com/wp-conte.../04/m-0014.jpg
_


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:50 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.