SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 850 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

The Pimp Jan 3, 2023 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takascar (Post 9825954)
You could have made that happen by 1) Making a billion dollars on another business and 2) Offering to invest in the iconic building knowing that you would not get the return back in your lifetime.

Like I have always said, if you want to build something like that, go ahead - raise the funds and have at it. In the real world it is about making a buck in a reasonable return on investment time. Builders are not artists or charities.

Sorry, that's the way it is.

This is a handsome building and more than good enough. Now, I would probably be upset if it ended up like that brutalist junk to its north that its now helping hide ..... :)

Well....what's the purpose of this site if I'm following your reasoning.

KWillChicago Jan 4, 2023 7:03 PM

Saw that Salesforce is cutting 8000 jobs. Could that change their amount of floor space in this one?

DCReid Jan 4, 2023 7:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KWillChicago (Post 9830170)
Saw that Salesforce is cutting 8000 jobs. Could that change their amount of floor space in this one?

I wonder the same but am guessing so. How much space did they lease?

r18tdi Jan 4, 2023 8:13 PM

I mean, who even knows if this will impact their space requirements.

My friends at Salesforce are still 100 percent remote, unless meeting a client or coming in for a party or team-building thing.

dropdeaded209 Jan 5, 2023 8:29 AM

as ho-hum as we are all finding this tower, I for one am nonetheless hungry for some photo updates of the base/crown/river shots... politely putting in a request from Berlin to the hometown photography heroes :-)

ajradfotwo Jan 12, 2023 8:40 PM

1/11/2023

Salesforce Tower lit up last night

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...267f8667_b.jpg20230111_174930 by ajdrewster, on Flickr

Toasty Joe Jan 13, 2023 6:05 AM

mediocre... shame because this site deserved a lot better

dewbs Jan 13, 2023 2:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dropdeaded209 (Post 9830814)
as ho-hum as we are all finding this tower, I for one am nonetheless hungry for some photo updates of the base/crown/river shots... politely putting in a request from Berlin to the hometown photography heroes :-)

As requested:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/pw...-no?authuser=0

emailspyro@gmail.com Jan 13, 2023 3:11 PM

Great pick Dewbs. This angle had me thinking… there is still the empty lot behind River Point building. If they build a super skinny super tall there, the Y of the river can be salvaged and still look inconic. Any news on the future if that parking lot (it’s on Fulton right west of river )

Briguy Jan 13, 2023 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emailspyro@gmail.com (Post 9838200)
Great pick Dewbs. This angle had me thinking… there is still the empty lot behind River Point building. If they build a super skinny super tall there, the Y of the river can be salvaged and still look inconic. Any news on the future if that parking lot (it’s on Fulton right west of river )

Not sure the geometry of the tunnel, but the blue line runs adjacent and may curve into that lot. Tricky lot. But would have great views up the river. Would need a huge zoning variance for that FAR.

Anything tall built on The lot at halsted lake and Fulton would also feature prominently

takascar Jan 14, 2023 2:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toasty Joe (Post 9838015)
mediocre... shame because this site deserved a lot better

No it isn't. This is a stunning building

Toasty Joe Jan 14, 2023 3:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by takascar (Post 9838965)
No it isn't. This is a stunning building

Nothing about this building is stunning. Proportions are off, facade is blasé, and it's far too similar to its immediate neighbors.... not to mention the anticlimactic view down the river (a sheer glass rectangle). Frankly it would work better as a filler building for a random corner in the Loop to replace a parking garage, not a landmark structure bolstering a central and historical point in the city with guaranteed visibility by millions of residents and visitors.

Zapatan Jan 14, 2023 3:51 AM

I wouldn't call it stunning but it's not that bad. It's a decent tower with a decent height but Chicago deserved better.

HomrQT Jan 14, 2023 5:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dewbs (Post 9838157)

Man if that main tower could have just been a couple three, four hundred feet taller...

On a side note that color glass on those buildings is great.

KWillChicago Jan 14, 2023 7:19 AM

I'm squinting, but do I see the Municipal Symbol on the ground by the river? Very cool but still wish it was a fountain like originally planned.

bhawk66 Jan 14, 2023 2:17 PM

I'm looking forward to when the base (full column height) gets finished and lit up at night. At ground level it should be rather "stunning" with the full height glass lobby lit up as well. And the polished stainless steel columns won't look too shabby in the day time either.

Should a nice addition for when the tour boats swing by.

dewbs Jan 14, 2023 2:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhawk66 (Post 9839163)
I'm looking forward to when the base (full column height) gets finished and lit up at night. At ground level it should be rather "stunning" with the full height glass lobby lit up as well. And the polished stainless steel columns won't look too shabby in the day time either.

Should a nice addition for when the tour boats swing by.

Not exactly what you wanted, but this is the view from Lasalle bridge last night:

Also, yes, it is the municipal symbol in the plaza below. The view from down there is really cool at night -- water basically 270 degrees around you and huge buildings on all sides.

And just as a reminder of what the confluence looked like a few years ago, a painting from inside the Federal Reserve:

twister244 Jan 14, 2023 5:32 PM

There was supposed to be crown lighting beyond the logo, no? Or has that not been activated yet?

GeneralLeeTPHLS Jan 14, 2023 6:01 PM

It's a pretty decent building, but it's just too similar to it's neighbours. I know Po-mo can be overdone, but some precast sections might've been helpful in leveraging more out of this design. 850 feet is huge nonetheless.

left of center Jan 14, 2023 7:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 9839026)
I wouldn't call it stunning but it's not that bad. It's a decent tower with a decent height but Chicago deserved better.

This. The tower itself is fine. 7/10. But it's completely undeserving of its location and prominent visibility.

That said, its going to be here for the next 100+ years, so not much we can do about it now. At least its blocks the Apparel Center :haha: