SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

ethereal_reality Jun 28, 2018 12:41 AM

:previous: Your photographs have suddenly disappeared tovangar2. :(



re: Huntington Park Ballroom / Mindiola's Ballroom
Quote:

Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire (Post 8233073)
Makes sense that there'd have been a ballroom upstairs.... Wonder if we'll ever find an inside view?

I didn't think we'd ever see inside [unless one of you in L.A. broke in some night ;))

but thanks to Noir Noir we get to see a glimpse of the lattice-like rafters holding up the roof. I think they're beautiful.
(that's because I'm a big ol' NERD architecture enthusiast)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Noir_Noir (Post 8233485)
This Gun n' Roses video from 1987 was apparently shot in the ballroom at 6130 Pacific Blvd.

https://i.imgur.com/Ptn7Ki0.jpg

It's pretty amazing that this was the video for Gun 'n Roses most iconic song, 'Sweet Child of Mine'. (I didn't realize that at first)
Not only that; it wasn't until recently that the filming location was figured out. (I guess the members of Guns n' Roses weren't telling)
either that or their memories are extremely...'hazy'...from this time period. ;)
______________________________________________________________








Now let's look into the 'Huntington Park Punk Riot' back in 1983.


Here's a photograph taken that night.

I see the B of A is gone by 1983.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/rVNG4A.jpg
seventhplantproductions




Poster from the night of the bru-ha-ha. [February 11, 1983]

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/rdodQa.jpg
collectorsfrenzy

for search purposes: The Exploited - CH3 - Youth Brigade - Vandals - Aggression - Suicidal Tendencies





And lastly, here's a short clip from the tv new.s

Video Link


:previous: I thought this was actual footage of the riot....then it dawned on me it's a mosh pit. lol


__

Lorendoc Jun 28, 2018 1:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 8235381)
How about 3314 Division in Glassell Park?:


Yup yup yup.:tup:

Noir_Noir Jun 28, 2018 2:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8235386)

And lastly, here's a short clip from the tv new.s

Video Link


:previous: I thought this was actual footage of the riot....then it dawned on me it's a mosh pit. lol

Video Link


There's some more footage from the night in this video. Confusion and dispute over who was actually doing the rioting - the "Punkers" ... or the Police. :bash: :D

ethereal_reality Jun 28, 2018 2:42 AM

X marks the Spot location SOLVED
 
Four Square Church of the Open Door

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 8235381)

How about 3314 Division in Glassell Park?

Here's a plot plan from 1941, so it was a church even then (at least round the back).
Dunno if it was a Four Square Church of the Open Door then like it is now:

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/gHunFV.jpg

:previous: Wow. Fantastic sleuthing t2.





Of course I immediately drove over there and snooped around.

I found an intriguing door on the side of the church at the bottom of some steps.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/MUm7n6.jpg
GSV

Why such a diminutive door? And look where the door knob is placed. Who uses a door like that, gnomes? :shrug:
_____





update:

I just noticed the front door. It's a bit funky too. (the last step is.... the building)

It seems odd that a church with 'Door' in it's name.........oh nevermind, it's too easy. ;)

tovangar2 Jun 28, 2018 3:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8235503)
Fantastic sleuthing t2.

_

Nah, I didn't even try b/c you lot have been so quick off the mark of late. When it seemed hopeless I took the Googledrone to Alumni & York, the location ScottyB was focused on. By then, as the photo had been reposted so many times, the pattern of streets fairly leapt off the screen just to the SW. Less than a minute. No glory for me. LOL



And thx Beaudry for your last couple of posts. As odinthor will attest, there is no frigate like a brick.

ScottyB Jun 28, 2018 7:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 8235525)
Nah, I didn't even try b/c you lot have been so quick off the mark of late. When it seemed hopeless I took the Googledrone to Alumni & York, the location ScottyB was focused on. By then, as the photo had been reposted so many times, the pattern of streets fairly leapt off the screen just to the SW. Less than a minute. No glory for me. LOL



And thx Beaudry for your last couple of posts. As odinthor will attest, there is no frigate like a brick.

Very satisfying t2! Itch scatched.

(pics not loading for me, links worked)

ethereal_reality Jun 28, 2018 8:34 AM

'mystery' location


"Los Angeles poor at Pentecostal Mission * VINTAGE Rare CLASSIC 1932 Photograph"

I'm not sure why the seller placed an asterisk behind Pentecostal Mission.
I just checked the Ebay AD again and there doesn't appear to be any additional information on the mission

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/Z1Be7k.jpg
EBAY

The healthy looking girl with the big smile looks like she wandered into the photograph by mistake.
___________________




update:
Actually, now that I looked at the photograph a little longer, the three men to the right of the girl also appear somewhat out of place.
They're wearing crisp fresh clothes....and the two white shirts are IVORY white.


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/USyzfh.jpg
__




I wonder if the commissary was located near, or was associated with, the Azusa Street Church in downtown L.A?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/KKIHaX.jpg
charismannews

As a reminder: this is the church that started the Azusa Street Revival. (the spreading of Pentecostalism)


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/CL5Jlx.jpg
previouslyseen on nla

By 1932 I'm pretty sure there were other branches of the Pentecostal Church in the Los Angeles area....
so the commissary could have been at one of the other locations as well.

(in other words; I have NO idea where that commissary was located ;))



__

CaliNative Jun 28, 2018 9:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8235642)
'mystery' location


"Los Angeles poor at Pentecostal Mission * VINTAGE Rare CLASSIC 1932 Photograph"

I'm not sure why the seller placed an asterisk behind Pentecostal Mission.
I just checked the Ebay AD again and there doesn't appear to be any additional information on the mission

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/Z1Be7k.jpg
EBAY

The healthy looking girl with the big smile looks like she wandered into the photograph by mistake.
___________________




update:
Actually, now that I looked at the photograph a little longer, the three men to the right of the girl also appear somewhat out of place.
They're wearing crisp fresh clothes....and the two white shirts are IVORY white.


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/USyzfh.jpg
__




I wonder if the commissary was located near, or was associated with, the Azusa Street Church in downtown L.A?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/KKIHaX.jpg
charismannews

As a reminder: this is the church that started the Azusa Street Revival. (the spreading of Pentecostalism)


https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/CL5Jlx.jpg
previouslyseen on nla

By 1932 I'm pretty sure there were other branches of the Pentecostal Church in the Los Angeles area....
so the commissary could have been at one of the other locations as well.

(in other words; I have NO idea where that commissary was located ;))



__

The Foursquare Church of Sister Aimee is a Pentacostal type Christian Church. Would love to see some vintage pics from the 1920s and 1930s of Sister Aimee in action. Iconoclast H.L. Mencken says he visited Angelus Temple on his 1926 visit to L.A. and Hollywood, and was quite smitten by Sister Aimee's fetching looks. I guess his visit occurred before Sister Aimee's famous disappearance for a few weeks. She says she was kidnapped, but others say she was off with her lover. I think a T.V. movie was made about the incident starring Faye Dunaway as Sister Aimee. Most of what I've read about Aimee indicates she did a lot of good works, but of course had some blemishes and sins like all of us. A girl has to have some fun once in a while.

CityBoyDoug Jun 28, 2018 1:18 PM

Spirit flames of blue and purple could be seen rising hundreds of feet from the top of the roof of the house. Many of the faithful fell to the sidewalk in spiritual ecstasy when they stepped off the streetcar at Bonnie Brae which was several blocks from the meetings location." Paraphrased from LA Times 1906 article."

A few words on the Spirit Revival in 1906 Los Angeles...

A visiting Baptist pastor said, “The Holy Spirit fell upon me and filled me literally, as it seemed to lift me up, for indeed, I was in the air in an instant, shouting, 'Praise God,' and instantly I began to speak in another language. I could not have been more surprised if at the same moment someone had handed me a million dollars.

Little could the subscribers of the Times have guessed that in years to come, historians would say that the Azusa Street revival played a major role in the development of modern Pentecostalism—a Movement that changed the religious landscape and became the most vibrant force for world evangelization in the 20th century. Azusa Street became the most significant revival of the century in terms of global perspective."

This house on Bonnie Brae is where it started. I visited this location in 1995. Inside its still furnished with some of the original furniture. The owner asked me not to take photos. IMO, the 1906 Revival was one of the most profound events to ever happen in our Los Angeles.

https://charismamag-secure-charismam...onnie-Brae.jpg

https://thegirdedmind.files.wordpres...4-dsc06006.jpg
the girded mind

GaylordWilshire Jun 28, 2018 3:59 PM

:previous:


"Spirit flames of blue and purple could be seen rising hundreds of feet from the top of the roof of the house. Many of the faithful fell to the sidewalk in spiritual ecstasy when they stepped off the streetcar at Bonnie Brae which was several blocks from the meetings location."


The theatrics are impressive, as always, but it's sort of hard not to think of all the charlatans-- Aimee, Charles Taze Russell, Osteen, etc that inspired all the holy rollers, taking their money and running. (Heaven save us from them, who seem about to take us all down.) (IMO)


This BP appears to explain the house's change in appearance:

https://s15.postimg.cc/w69wvvq5n/BP216_NBBrae.bmp.jpg

Lorendoc Jun 28, 2018 5:51 PM

Azusa and Division Streets
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by tovangar2 (Post 8235381)
Here's a plot plan from 1941, so it was a church even then (at least round the back). Dunno if it was a Four Square Church of the Open Door then like it is now:

The 1941 CD has the following entry under "Four Square Gospel" church listings:

Division Street: 3314 1/2 Division. Rev. Lulu Peters, pastor, h 3314 Division Rev. and Mrs. Wm. LaMarr co-pastors, h 2272 Baxter


So I would say it's stayed in the fold, despite the language change. I agree with CBD's comments about the significance of this group. It started out with a multiethnic, egalitarian and non-patriarchal (Rev. Lulu!) ethos, but has morphed into something quite different today.

ozone Jun 28, 2018 6:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 8235687)
IMO, the 1906 Revival was one of the most profound events to ever happen in our Los Angeles.

Yes but not in a good way.

oldstuff Jun 28, 2018 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8235503)
Four Square Church of the Open Door


:previous: Wow. Fantastic sleuthing t2.





Of course I immediately drove over there and snooped around.

I found an intriguing door on the side of the church at the bottom of some steps.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/MUm7n6.jpg
GSV

Why such a diminutive door? And look where the door knob is placed. Who uses a door like that, gnomes? :shrug:
_____





update:

I just noticed the front door. It's a bit funky too. (the last step is.... the building)

It seems odd that a church with 'Door' in it's name.........oh nevermind, it's too easy. ;)

The weird little door looks like access to the space under the building. As to the knob placement, they have taken a standard, off the shelf door, cut off the top part to fit the opening and put it in. Low budget! Churches rarely have money to spend for things like that. There may have been a small, original door on that opening which rotted out and had to be replaced. As to the front door, maybe there was originally some kind of porch on it. My house has a step up from the porch to the door opening, but it is not as high as that.

Do we know when it was built? And was it originally a church, or something else?

Mendotaman Jun 28, 2018 8:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldstuff (Post 8236195)
The weird little door looks like access to the space under the building. As to the knob placement, they have taken a standard, off the shelf door, cut off the top part to fit the opening and put it in. Low budget! Churches rarely have money to spend for things like that. There may have been a small, original door on that opening which rotted out and had to be replaced. As to the front door, maybe there was originally some kind of porch on it. My house has a step up from the porch to the door opening, but it is not as high as that.

Do we know when it was built? And was it originally a church, or something else?

Division Street church of the Foursquare Gospel dates back to the late 20's or early 30's as a branch of Angelus Temple. For many years, there was a lighthouse, six or eight feet tall as I remember, at the sidewalk. That was part of the Foursquare church branding for many years. Regarding the Pentecostal commissary, it has nothing to do, except tradition with the Azusa Street mission. The well-dressed and smiling people are probably from a sponsoring church. The were hundreds of pentecostal churches all over LA. Assemblies of God, Foursquare, Pentecostal, some Church(es) of God, and many other names. Azusa Street mission had faded away by the late twenties.

ethereal_reality Jun 29, 2018 3:06 AM

Thanks for the information Mendotaman. I tried to find a photograph of the Division Street church with the lighthouse out front. ( NO LUCK)
Hmmm....maybe the lighthouse is being stored in the church basement. They could have used that diminutive door to get it in there. ;)
______




Speaking of Angelus Temple

This blue building (now home to an auto body shop) at 2210 W. Division Street was Angelus Temple's Dining Hall/Commissary for the poor and indigent.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/Wvg4jj.jpg




Here's how the building looked in 1932....the same year as the 'mystery' ebay photograph from last night.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...921/6ODWpC.jpg
LAPL (repeat)

Here are some bricks :previous: for you brick aficionados.




__

RudyJK Jun 29, 2018 3:23 AM

An aside from a grateful observer...always a week or two behind so forgive me if the topic is stale.

I really appreciate the stories and images from all of the Los Angeles natives. I am not one and have only been to Los Angeles a handful of times. I am a big fan of Noir movies, novels and short stories - not to mention deco, moderne and MCM architecture - and since discovering Noirish LA eight (?) years ago, this place has become my wind-down spot in the evenings. So good with a cup of rooibos tea and maybe an Ambien.

I wonder just how many lurkers Noirish LA has spread around the country?

CityBoyDoug Jun 29, 2018 4:17 AM

http://www.primopianomolise.it/wp-co...usaStreet2.png.....http://pneumareview.com/wp-content/u...ryWSeymour.jpg
primopian

The Revival lasted from 1906 till 1931. Hardly a brief event....in fact its still happening in 2018 Los Angeles....although in a more reduced form.

ethereal_reality Jun 29, 2018 6:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RudyJK (Post 8236636)
An aside from a grateful observer...always a week or two behind so forgive me if the topic is stale.

I really appreciate the stories and images from all of the Los Angeles natives. I am not one and have only been to Los Angeles a handful of times. I am a big fan of Noir movies, novels and short stories - not to mention deco, moderne and MCM architecture - and since discovering Noirish LA eight (?) years ago, this place has become my wind-down spot in the evenings. So good with a cup of rooibos tea and maybe an Ambien.

I wonder just how many lurkers Noirish LA has spread around the country?

Thanks so much for the kind note RudyJK.

nla's lurkers are no doubt some of the best lurkers anywhere to be found. ;)

ethereal_reality Jun 29, 2018 7:49 AM

"Los Angeles Evening Herald July 4th Parade Photo Chutes Field Collector"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/SYQpcB.jpg
EBAY






Here's a closer look at the Evening News building.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/UJWAO7.jpg
detail

Do you see something odd?



Above the main entrance there appears to be a scoreboard with people peering through it!

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/qSsiwr.png
detail

At first I was quite surprised...but after I thought about it a bit, the scoreboard seemed vaguely familiar.
Do I remember it from an earlier post on nla :shrug: or was it something I read in one of the old Evening Herald newspapers

Does anyone know the story behind this scoreboard??
______



The Los Angeles Evening Herald was located at 126-134 South Broadway.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/mzNQrc.jpg

p.s. I have no idea what "Chutes Field Collectors" means. (it's included in the seller's description at the top)

_

GaylordWilshire Jun 29, 2018 2:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug (Post 8236666)
http://www.primopianomolise.it/wp-co...usaStreet2.png.....http://pneumareview.com/wp-content/u...ryWSeymour.jpg
primopian

The Revival lasted from 1906 till 1931. Hardly a brief event....in fact its still happening in 2018 Los Angeles....although in a more reduced form.


Re the house on Bonnie Brae--from KCET's history of the street:

"The crowds grew too large for the little house on Bonnie Brae, eventually collapsing the front porch. Soon after, with the help of his followers, Seymour relocated his teachings to an empty building on Azusa Street in Little Tokyo, and the Pentecostal Movement began to flourish."


Of course, there is the matter of Seymour's inspiration, one Charles Fox Parham. Strangely enough, if not surprisingly, he was a member of the KKK...and there was that matter of his having been charged with diddling some little boys in Texas in 1907...anyway, he came to LA to spread cheer in 1924:


https://s22.postimg.cc/y6nyz26lt/waytohellcompl.jpg
LAT Feb 4, 1924



All very noirish, in a 1906 way..."lunacy, infidelity, necromancy, mandacity"....


A few interesting items from this site

"The roots of Azusa Street were planted in a Houston, Texas, Bible school taught by Charles Fox Parham. William Seymour was a student of Charles Parham in 1903 and was convinced of the need to receive the baptism of the Holy Spirit, such baptism being evident by the ability to speak in tongues. Seymour was invited to work with a small holiness group in Los Angeles, California. On the way, he stopped in Denver, Colorado, and visited Alma White's Pillar of Fire movement. Alma White was not impressed with Seymour. She later said, 'I had met all kinds of religious fakers and tramps, but I felt he excelled them all.' Upon arriving in Los Angeles, William Seymour preached only one sermon at the church who had invited him. The group then rejected him. Seymour continued his meeting though, preaching about Holy Spirit baptism in a warehouse on Azusa Street."


The site also adds
"With all that in mind, there is a book titled From Holy Laughter to Holy Fire by Michael L. Brown which quotes five respected Bible scholars from that era who witness the events that occurred on Azusa street. Mr. Brown quoted them to say they were wrong, but these men were contemporaries of the events and Mr. Brown, an Assemblies of God minister, is not. Since his denomination evolved from the events of Azusa Street, he also has strong motivation to put its origins in the best light that he can. I do appreciate the fact that he was willing to quote his detractors.G. Campbell Morgan described the activities on Azusa Street as 'the last vomit of Satan.' R. A. Torrey declared that this movement was 'emphatically not of God, and founded by a Sodomite.' H. A. Ironside said in 1912 that the movement was 'disgusting ... delusions and insanities ... pandemonium's were exhibitions worthy of a madhouse or a collection of howling dervishes,' causing a 'heavy toll of lunacy and infidelity.' W. B. Godbey saw the movement as a result of spiritualism and that the participants were 'Satan's preachers, jugglers, necromancers, enchanters, magicians, and all sorts of mendicants.' Clarence Larkin said, 'But the conduct of those possessed, in which they fall to the ground and disgraceful scenes, is more a characteristic of demon possession, than a work of the Holy Spirit. From what has been said we see that we are living in "Perilous Times," and that all about us are "Seducing Spirits," and that they will become more active as the Dispensation draws to its close, and that we must exert the greatest care lest we be led astray.' It is clear that these biblical scholars were not pleased with the events at Azusa Street."


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:32 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.