SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

HossC Apr 25, 2018 2:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Charles (Post 8166732)

It's real, ER!

As you can see on the side of the building in your first photo, the original name of the place was Phil's Diner.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8166928)

Whoa, thanks so much Scott Charles! How in the world did I miss this place!?!

I think the diner is fantastic, but I wish it had a better location. Right now it's in the shadow of a rather tall modern building. (it's nearly invisible coming from the south)

Just a reminder that Tourmaline posted several pictures of Phil's Diner in post #16126 (2013). A couple of the images have been reposted in the last 24 hours, but here are two more that I liked:


Martin Pal Apr 25, 2018 4:47 PM

And PHIL's constructed as a piñata!
(from Scott Charles' LINK.)

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...1705886/1000w/

That little Diner get's around...:worship:

59imperial Apr 25, 2018 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8166518)
I was 'snooping' around North Hollywood and came across this small diner.

5230 LANKERSHIM BLVD.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/jykTwy.jpg
GSV

Is this a touristy facsimile or an ACTUAL STREETCAR?





noticed I accidentally cut off the top part of the sign.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/HZtRJE.jpg
detail

It's called the Paleo Diner.

It was painted pink as recently as 2014.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/WN4pU1.jpg
GSV

If it's the real deal it's pretty cool!

SURPRISED I NEVER NOTICED IT BEFORE

I wonder what happened to the original neon sign? It was still there in the 2014 GSV. It's a shame they replaced it with such a generic looking one.

Scott Charles Apr 26, 2018 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 59imperial (Post 8167904)
I wonder what happened to the original neon sign? It was still there in the 2014 GSV. It's a shame they replaced it with such a generic looking one.

The original sign was stolen some time in 2008. The sign at the Lankershim location, where Phil's was moved to in 2011, was a reproduction.

https://i.imgur.com/ODobLr5.jpg
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=11241

See also:

Phil's Diner Sign Stolen in Noho.
Missing: One Phil's Diner Sign

ethereal_reality Apr 26, 2018 2:08 AM

My apologies to Tourmaline for not remembering his earlier post on Phil's Diner.

& thanks for the clarification on the Luther Kennett photograph Noir Noir and oldstuff.

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldstuff
Another sad story is that John, brother of Luther and the others, died at the Walla Walla, (Washington) County Farm ( prison/poor farm) in 1932.
You wonder if he had the same problem as his brother. That facility also had a tubercular ward.

That's a good question oldstuff. It's sad that two of the brothers met the same fate (dying in state facilities)
________________



This is Patton State Hospital where Luther 'Chutes Photographer' Kennett was sent for his epilepsy.

[full name: Patton State Forensic Mental Hospital for the Criminally Insane]
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/1mH8CR.jpg
SBDEPOTMUSEUM

It couldn't look more forboding if they tried.



I'll include this second view as well.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/t7B9Hu.jpg
CITY OF SAN BERNARDINO

I can't square this image with the top photograph. Is it...flipped....? Or am I just looking at it wrong? :shrug:



A BIT OF HISTORY

"The hospital opened up in 1893 as the Highland Insane Asylum in the city of Highland, just outside of San Bernardino, California.
It was renamed Patton after one of its board members in 1927, and its current address lists the city as Patton, CA.
But Patton isn't a city exactly: it's just the hospital. It's that big."
AVOIDING REGRET




By the way, did you notice the roundish structure in the top two photos? (on the left in the top pic / on the right in the 2nd pic)

Could this be it?

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/uzg0rF.jpg
AVOIDING REGRET

"The last remaining structure of the original brick insane asylum."


UPDATE:

This is part of the old asylum but it isn't the structure I thought it might be. (for one thing...it's way too small)

"This is an old train depot that sat near the front entrance of the grounds. A relic from the narrow gauge railroad
that used to bring goods and supplies from the outside."
from AVOIDING REGRET

But Sandi Hemmerlein at 'Avoiding Regret' doesn't say where this little piece of history is located.
From her description I'd say it's on the edge/outskirts of the present day hospital. But so far I haven't been able to spot it.

Anyone want to play 'Where's Waldo' with me and help find the little booger. (the old depot)

use this link--->GOOGLE EARTH

__

59imperial Apr 26, 2018 3:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Charles (Post 8167950)
The original sign was stolen some time in 2008. The sign at the Lankershim location, where Phil's was moved to in 2011, was a reproduction.

https://i.imgur.com/ODobLr5.jpg
http://www.lottaliving.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=11241



See also:

Phil's Diner Sign Stolen in Noho.
Missing: One Phil's Diner Sign

Wonder if the reproduction sign was also stolen or just replaced with the current one?

ethereal_reality Apr 26, 2018 3:17 AM

from yesterday.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...924/7H4jDQ.jpghttps://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/X8AWup.jpghttps://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/xONfjK.jpg
snapshot Air Meet 1928 / close-up on the right
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________





Today I dug up an aerial of Mines Field taken during the 1928 Air Meet.

I believe the truck advertising the radio show might have been parked along the east wall of the large building.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/Hq33bq.jpg
DAILY BREEZE

Now I need to find a ground view of the building so I can compare it to the building in the old snapshot.
____



UPDATE:

I just noticed a small glimpse of a a tent in the snapshot. (close-up below)

it's not much...but it's clearly a tent.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...923/WCRpNR.jpg
DETAIL

Hmmmmm...my theory just blew up in my face.

There's a tent in the aerial but it's along the WEST wall.

So...ahem... now I think the truck was parked along the west wall.

_

Scott Charles Apr 26, 2018 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8168021)

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/uzg0rF.jpg
AVOIDING REGRET

"The last remaining structure of the original brick insane asylum."


UPDATE:

This is part of the old asylum but it isn't the structure I thought it might be. (for one thing...it's way too small)

"This is an old train depot that sat near the front entrance of the grounds. A relic from the narrow gauge railroad
that used to bring goods and supplies from the outside."
from AVOIDING REGRET

But Sandi Hemmerlein at 'Avoiding Regret' doesn't say where this little piece of history is located.
From her description I'd say it's on the edge/outskirts of the present day hospital. But so far I haven't been able to spot it.

Anyone want to play 'Where's Waldo' with me and help find the little booger. (the old depot)

use this link--->GOOGLE EARTH

__

It's here:

https://i.imgur.com/3zdSA5M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LdMpgOr.jpgGoogle LINK

Apparently, the building is NOT part of the hospital, at least not originally. It was the Patton Train Depot, as seen below:

https://i.imgur.com/s2EQC4n.jpgLINK <-- picture 4 of 16 in the gallery

“The first Patton Depot was a wooden structure, built in 1893. The brick structure seen here was built in 1898. The station closed in 1938, and was sold to a private party in 1948.” LINK

Quote:

The last picture, labeled “Part of the Patton State Hospital today,” is wrong. That's the Patton train station on the “kite line” railroad loop that followed a roughly circular route across the northern part of San Bernardino, then through Highland and Redlands. Like any other railroad station, it's on railroad property, and merely serves the Patton community.
https://www.kcet.org/history-society...state-hospital <-- comments section
More information:

http://www.abandonedrails.com/Redlands_Loop
https://www.highlandnews.net/communi...7929c6f7d.html

Flyingwedge Apr 26, 2018 5:12 AM

Looking south at Santa Monica beach and pier, 1929
 
Please note the two back-to-back one-story buildings in the right foreground, with the large empty lot to their north:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...psu1u2gdil.jpg

Adelbert Bartlett Papers @ UCLA/Islandora


Here's a close-up of those buildings . . . the Crescent Bay Yacht Club!

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...psm9l2bt4t.jpg



I think that's what we see here in the background:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Charles (Post 8089653)

About the closest I have to a public photo is the one below - grandma Elva with my father, Doug, and his younger brother, Jack - what a pair of towheads!

https://i.imgur.com/YuerLdU.jpg

I think the sign in the background says “Crescent Bay Yacht Club”.


ScottyB Apr 26, 2018 5:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handsome Stranger (Post 8166265)
Noir_Noir, your suggestions of songs to cover got me wondering...which is usually a bit hazardous. I started looking around for info on the most obscure songs about Los Angeles.

https://www.lapl.org/sites/default/f...ngeltown-1.jpg

This one was written in 1959 and adopted as the official song of Los Angeles in 1966. Who knew there was an official song? And where might this photo have been taken, gang?

I've been unable to find a recording of this song as yet. It would also be interesting to read the LA Times column by Gene Sherman that apparently served as inspiration.

[image source: Los Angeles Public Library]

♫ Where nobody's dreams come true... ♪♬

I believe they are on Mulholland somewhere between Coldwater and Laurel Canyons, looking North, likely the Mulholland Scenic Overlook.
The song- ugh.

Flyingwedge Apr 26, 2018 6:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8168021)

This is Patton State Hospital where Luther 'Chutes Photographer' Kennett was sent for his epilepsy.

[full name: Patton State Forensic Mental Hospital for the Criminally Insane]
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/1mH8CR.jpg
SBDEPOTMUSEUM


I'll include this second view as well.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/t7B9Hu.jpg
CITY OF SAN BERNARDINO

I can't square this image with the top photograph. Is it...flipped....? Or am I just looking at it wrong? :shrug:


I think your second photo looks at what's at the far end of the first photo, e_r. In your first photo, I believe the
west wing is on the left and the east wing is on the right. Below, I think it's the opposite (east wing on the left and
west wing on the right). In any case, in 1903 the facility employed 90 people, plus a six-member Board of Managers:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...d.jpg~original

1903 California Blue Book @ Hathitrust

Scott Charles Apr 26, 2018 8:30 AM

Thank-you, Flyingwedge!!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyingwedge (Post 8168270)
Please note the two back-to-back one-story buildings in the right foreground, with the large empty lot to their north:

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...l.jpg~original

Adelbert Bartlett Papers @ UCLA/Islandora


Here's a close-up of those buildings . . . the Crescent Bay Yacht Club!

http://i1165.photobucket.com/albums/...t.jpg~original



I think that's what we see here in the background:

Flyingwedge, you are my hero! :worship:

If you look closely, the building above seems to perfectly match the one in the background of Elva's photo! I can't believe it! Thanks so much for bringing this photo to my attention!

To be honest with you, I'd given up on EVER finding a picture of the Crescent Bay Yacht Club... how on earth did you find it???

If you look at this photo from the USC Digital Library, I think the zoomed-in section matches the CBYC (Crescent Bay Yacht Club) photo:

https://i.imgur.com/fvBm9Q5.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/HPVrol1.jpg

The CBYC's first location was at the foot of the 99 Steps - as it appears in the photo above.

However, in 1925 the CBYC referred to this as their "temporary" clubhouse location, and said that they would "soon" be moving a block north, moving from Arizona Ave to Wilshire Blvd. And it seems that they did move, if we believe this 1928 city directory image posted by HossC. If the CBYC had already moved by 1928, then the date on the above photo (1929) must be incorrect.

oldstuff Apr 26, 2018 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Charles (Post 8168136)
It's here:

https://i.imgur.com/3zdSA5M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/LdMpgOr.jpgGoogle LINK

Apparently, the building is NOT part of the hospital, at least not originally. It was the Patton Train Depot, as seen below:

https://i.imgur.com/s2EQC4n.jpgLINK <-- picture 4 of 16 in the gallery

“The first Patton Depot was a wooden structure, built in 1893. The brick structure seen here was built in 1898. The station closed in 1938, and was sold to a private party in 1948.” LINK



More information:

http://www.abandonedrails.com/Redlands_Loop
https://www.highlandnews.net/communi...7929c6f7d.html

Apparently the "kite shaped route" for which this was a depot, began at the La Grand Station in Los Angeles (where you all went on for days and days about the palm tree), looped around to finally get to Mentone in San Bernardino county and then back again. It was a tourist sort of thing, taking people to "amazing sights" around the area, like orange groves, which most easterners found fascinating, especially in winter.

GaylordWilshire Apr 26, 2018 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 8168021)
That's a good question oldstuff. It's sad that two of the brothers met the same fate (dying in state facilities)
________________

This is Patton State Hospital where Luther 'Chutes Photographer' Kennett was sent for his epilepsy.

[full name: Patton State Forensic Mental Hospital for the Criminally Insane]
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/1mH8CR.jpg
SBDEPOTMUSEUM

It couldn't look more forboding if they tried.



The post about epilepsy and Patton reminded me of the attached article I found while digging into the fate of the adopted daughter of music dealer J. T. Fitzgerald, who's made an appearance here before...he lived at 3115 West Adams and then at 2445 S Western Avenue, the story of which I've told here. (PS-- Theda Bara had a short stay in the house...but I digress.)


https://s5.postimg.cc/fx7zfpn2f/Theda2445.jpg


Apparently, epilepsy often got you put away--as did, if you were a girl, flirting-- the article linked below describes the Sonoma Developmental Center (until 1909 called the The California Home for the Care and Training of Feeble-Minded Children), but gives you an idea of what went on at many California state hospitals, and all over the country.... (A charming sample quote: "America’s leading popular scientist, Santa Rosa’s own Luther Burbank, contributed a widely-reprinted 1906 treatise, 'The Training of the Human Plant.' To Burbank, 'mingling of races' was healthy, but he thought it was a 'crime against the state' if 'degenerates' had children..."

http://santarosahistory.com/wordpres...-and-eugenics/


If you can stomach it, a good read is Building a Better Race: Gender, Sexuality, and Eugenics from the Turn of the Century to the Baby Boom by Wendy Kline.

Scott Charles Apr 26, 2018 5:39 PM

I like to make these graphics to help me to get a better, visual idea of old locations. I take old photos and overlay them on top of Google Maps. It helps me to get a “real world” sense of where things used to be.

This one is a map of the old piers of Santa Monica/Venice, respectively the Santa Monica Pier, the Crystal Pier, the Ocean Park/Lick's Pier, the Venice Pier, and the Sunset Pier.

https://i.imgur.com/0ZApE6Zl.gif

Each old image is laid precisely over current-day streets, making it easy to visualize where exactly the piers once stood. For example, here's a close-up:

https://i.imgur.com/Y8Hrhyf.jpg

Honestly, I have no idea whether these graphics I make would be of any interest to anyone, or if they are just some weird, obsessive/compulsive symptom of mine. But if you think it might benefit you, or if you would simply like to take a look at the full-sized image, here it is:

https://i.imgur.com/0ZApE6Z.gif

Scott Charles Apr 26, 2018 6:07 PM

Cool video on YouTube!
 
I stumbled across this video last night - it's called Aerial View of Los Angeles Coast, Hollywood Blvd. (1930):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYTLT7yVSWA

It's really cool. You can see...

The Sunset Pier (first frame of the movie):
https://i.imgur.com/azWBQjx.jpg

The Venice Pier:
https://i.imgur.com/nFjYs9e.gif

The Ocean Park Pier and Lick's Pier:
https://i.imgur.com/DEaFNEl.gif

Sadly, the film cuts just as they are about to fly over Crystal Pier, but the film goes on to show the Santa Monica Pier:
https://i.imgur.com/bRquAgN.gif

The video is MUCH better quality than my crummy screenshots, so check out the video on YouTube if you are interested.

The next scene has me confused, however. Remember, the name of the video is “Aerial View of Los Angeles Coast, Hollywood Blvd (1930)”.

https://i.imgur.com/sTmr2Io.gif

One thing's for certain - that sure ain't Hollywood Blvd. And if it's anywhere in LA, I can't recognize it. Does anyone here know where this actually is?

oldstuff Apr 26, 2018 9:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Charles (Post 8168854)
I stumbled across this video last night - it's called Aerial View of Los Angeles Coast, Hollywood Blvd. (1930):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYTLT7yVSWA

It's really cool. You can see...

The Sunset Pier (first frame of the movie):
https://i.imgur.com/azWBQjx.jpg

The Venice Pier:
https://i.imgur.com/nFjYs9e.gif

The Ocean Park Pier and Lick's Pier:
https://i.imgur.com/DEaFNEl.gif

Sadly, the film cuts just as they are about to fly over Crystal Pier, but the film goes on to show the Santa Monica Pier:
https://i.imgur.com/bRquAgN.gif

The video is MUCH better quality than my crummy screenshots, so check out the video on YouTube if you are interested.

The next scene has me confused, however. Remember, the name of the video is “Aerial View of Los Angeles Coast, Hollywood Blvd (1930)”.

https://i.imgur.com/sTmr2Io.gif

One thing's for certain - that sure ain't Hollywood Blvd. And if it's anywhere in LA, I can't recognize it. Does anyone here know where this actually is?

It is Houston Street in San Antonio, Texas. There was a Manhattan Café in San Antonio that had a white shiny tile front with black around the edges. The signs across the street "Carls" and so on are in San Antonio. The owner, Dan Anthony, began desegregation in San Antonio. There was a sign across the street that said "Hollywood" something which is probably where they got the idea that it was Hollywood, CA.

GaylordWilshire Apr 26, 2018 10:06 PM

:previous:


The Walgreen's and its signs are still there...in San Antone...now back to Los Angliss


https://s5.postimg.cc/thpkno11z/SATWalgreens.jpg

Flyingwedge Apr 26, 2018 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Charles (Post 8168314)
If you look closely, the building above seems to perfectly match the one in the background of Elva's photo! I can't believe it! Thanks so much for bringing this photo to my attention!

To be honest with you, I'd given up on EVER finding a picture of the Crescent Bay Yacht Club... how on earth did you find it???

You're welcome!

It was just luck; or, since I was involved, perhaps dumb luck would be a more accurate description. I was going through
that one collection and when I saw that particular photo, I wondered why there was so much empty space next to those
buildings, so I zoomed in and saw that familiar sign. I'm glad I looked!

On the east side of the CBYC, next to the parked car, there is a banner, but unfortunately I cannot make out the words on it.
Perhaps the banner describes the club's relocation?

Oh and your pier overlays are wonderful!

Tourmaline Apr 26, 2018 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Charles (Post 8168795)
I like to make these graphics to help me to get a better, visual idea of old locations. I take old photos and overlay them on top of Google Maps. It helps me to get a “real world” sense of where things used to be.

This one is a map of the old piers of Santa Monica/Venice, respectively the Santa Monica Pier, the Crystal Pier, the Ocean Park/Lick's Pier, the Venice Pier, and the Sunset Pier.

Each old image is laid precisely over current-day streets, making it easy to visualize where exactly the piers once stood. For example, here's a close-up:

https://i.imgur.com/Y8Hrhyf.jpg



~1900 - Brick Santa Monica Electric and Power Co. and Eckert & Hopf's Restaurant . . . and seagulls.

http://hdl.huntington.org/utils/ajax...12&DMX=0&DMY=0http://hdl.huntington.org/utils/ajax...&DMX=512&DMY=0
http://hdl.huntington.org/utils/ajax...X=0&DMY=512&DMhttp://hdl.huntington.org/utils/ajax...512&DMY=512&DMhttp://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...coll2/id/16768


1936- Pier construction
http://hdl.huntington.org/utils/ajax...12&DMX=0&DMY=0http://hdl.huntington.org/utils/ajax...&DMX=512&DMY=0
http://hdl.huntington.org/utils/ajax...X=0&DMY=512&DMhttp://hdl.huntington.org/utils/ajax...512&DMY=512&DMhttp://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...coll2/id/16741








Are seagull's good eat'in? Or the name of theshort-lived Friar's house band?


Friar's Restaurant had two SM locations, 2042 Santa Monica Blvd. and 2645 Lincoln Blvd. I suspect this is the Lincoln Blvd location.


Nov. 1956 - Friar's
http://hdl.huntington.org/utils/ajax...12&DMX=0&DMY=0http://hdl.huntington.org/utils/ajax...&DMX=512&DMY=0
http://hdl.huntington.org/utils/ajax...DMX=0&DMY=512&http://hdl.huntington.org/utils/ajax...512&DMY=512&DMhttp://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/compou...coll2/id/62664


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.