SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | The Row (900 W Randolph) | 495 FT | 43 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230477)

Steely Dan Dec 20, 2019 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 8780839)
Sure, if you ignore what's already approved for Lincoln Yards.

i don't see LY as a development that is "pushing out from downtown", but rather its own point of origin up on the northside.

i mean, if we just want to be needlessly pedantic about things, 5415 N sheridan (park tower condos) is at 1000 W, and has been standing there at 513' tall since 1973.

LouisVanDerWright Dec 20, 2019 4:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8781271)
i don't see LY as a development that is "pushing out from downtown", but rather its own point of origin up on the northside.

i mean, if we just want to be needlessly pedantic about things, 5415 N sheridan (park tower condos) is at 1000 W, and has been standing there at 513' tall since 1973.

An excellent reminder of just how prolific post-depression economic expansions can be. Think of the skyline growth from 1950-1975. We could be 10 years into a cycle like that with another 10-15 coming...

aaron38 Dec 20, 2019 5:10 PM

Bring on the new Roaring 20's.

woodrow Dec 20, 2019 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8781271)

Not only that, but I thought it obvious you meant in the West Loop, where it has (had?) been notoriously difficult to build anything tall.

Hourstrooper Dec 21, 2019 6:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8781112)
Also there are no specific towers proposed for LY yet. Just vague planning guidelines. Talk to me when Sterling Bay announces the first proposed tower.

phase 1 was already approved by the plan commission and city council during rahms last few months. 2 buildings at once

glowrock Dec 23, 2019 1:23 PM

Only thing that kinda blows about this project is that I just realized the location happens to be exactly where one of my favorite breweries is, that being Cruz Blanca! :( Other than that issue, I think it's a great development for the West Loop!

Aaron (Glowrock)

OrdoSeclorum Dec 23, 2019 2:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glowrock (Post 8783025)
Only thing that kinda blows about this project is that I just realized the location happens to be exactly where one of my favorite breweries is, that being Cruz Blanca! :( Other than that issue, I think it's a great development for the West Loop!

Aaron (Glowrock)

Wait. The plan is to tear down all the buildings on that block?! I assumed they were going build behind them, on Peoria.

Edit: according this this map, those buildings along Randolph are part of the historic designation: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...Map_FINAL2.pdf

Handro Dec 23, 2019 3:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrdoSeclorum (Post 8783033)
Wait. The plan is to tear down all the buildings on that block?! I assumed they were going build behind them, on Peoria.

Edit: according this this map, those buildings along Randolph are part of the historic designation: https://www.chicago.gov/content/dam/...Map_FINAL2.pdf

Yea, I believe someone up-thread clarified that this building's base will take up most of the block but be built around those buildings.

Daprato Rigali Dec 23, 2019 7:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 8781424)
Bring on the new Roaring 20's.

*Soaring*

?

CrazyCres May 14, 2020 8:35 PM

Any updates for this site?

upupaway007 Aug 12, 2020 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCres (Post 8922389)
Any updates for this site?

Bump

ChiPlanner Aug 13, 2020 2:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by upupaway007 (Post 9008799)
Bump

They're still working on securing financing. Potentially pursuing public sector financing in exchange for supplying affordable units on site.

bhawk66 Aug 13, 2020 6:10 PM

What exactly is "public sector financing" again? I skipped that day of class. I'm sure it's a joke but I am all ears.

ChiPlanner Aug 13, 2020 8:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhawk66 (Post 9009577)
What exactly is "public sector financing" again? I skipped that day of class. I'm sure it's a joke but I am all ears.

This is a little out of date, but sort of gets to the point of what developers could potentially do in the near future- basically supplying 20% affordable for a property tax break. If/when this happens (in whatever form), then they'll *likely* be looking for financing for the affordable part.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/greg...incentive-plan

Quote:

As now written, the bill would entitle any developer who builds or substantially rehabs a structure with at least six units to enter a program in which taxes on the new structure would be held at the pre-construction rate for two years. The break would drop an additional 20 percent every two years until hitting zero after 10 years.

In exchange, the developer would have to offer rents on at least 20 percent of the building’s units at rates affordable to tenants with a household income no more than 60 percent of the area median. That’s roughly $41,242 in metropolitan Chicago, according to U.S. Census data.

bhawk66 Aug 13, 2020 8:45 PM

^^ Thanks ChiPlanner. Consider myself learned. I suppose that's a good effort.

Carry on.

Bonsai Tree Mar 31, 2021 12:22 AM

This goes with my post from 725 W Randolph, but from what I heard at Related they plan to start construction on 900 W Randolph first, according to my source "within the next 2-3 months." Take this with a grain of salt of course, but it seemed to me like of the two major West Loop projects, this is the one that will be built first.

ChiPlanner Mar 31, 2021 3:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bonsai Tree (Post 9234009)
This goes with my post from 725 W Randolph, but from what I heard at Related they plan to start construction on 900 W Randolph first, according to my source "within the next 2-3 months." Take this with a grain of salt of course, but it seemed to me like of the two major West Loop projects, this is the one that will be built first.

Can say with confidence it'll be no sooner than Q3

Bonsai Tree Mar 31, 2021 4:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiPlanner (Post 9234110)
Can say with confidence it'll be no sooner than Q3

Maybe I misspoke when I "within," I meant to say after the next 2-3 months. (which lines up pretty closely with q3). Either way, the more important thing is that this will start before 725 Randolph.

r18tdi Mar 31, 2021 3:37 PM

I guess that makes sense, given that 725 is a "lifestyle" hotel and apartment project predicated on people wanting to cram into a fancy fitness club.

LouisVanDerWright Mar 31, 2021 6:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 9234404)
I guess that makes sense, given that 725 is a "lifestyle" hotel and apartment project predicated on people wanting to cram into a fancy fitness club.

Equinox got fucked hard by covid. Everyone I knew who worked for Related/Equinox got laid off.