SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

TWAK Mar 11, 2022 6:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 9564126)
Bullshit, I see idiots on bikes with masks and people jogging with masks on here in Pittsburgh, and it was warm today and I still saw it. If it’s happening here, it’s def happening in NYC.

Their body, their choice? It's also good for training to simulate altitude.
Was in SF on the embarcadero recently....joggers and bicyclers were not masked.

bossabreezes Mar 11, 2022 7:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWAK (Post 9564141)
Their body, their choice? It's also good for training to simulate altitude.
Was in SF on the embarcadero recently....joggers and bicyclers were not masked.

I fully support their freedom to wear a mask while doing whatever they want.

It’s actually very helpful. Unless very old, it helps me weed out who not to approach, be friends with, ect. I don’t want to surround myself with people who are anti-science. We’ve been told masks don’t do what they told us they’d do by practically everyone at this point. I prefer people who actually listen, observe, question and live in reality rather than in their own self imposed covid feverdream.

iheartthed Mar 11, 2022 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by photoLith (Post 9564126)
Bullshit, I see idiots on bikes with masks and people jogging with masks on here in Pittsburgh, and it was warm today and I still saw it. If it’s happening here, it’s def happening in NYC.

I don't know why it must be happening in NYC if it's happening in Pittsburgh. Those are two very different cities with very different cultures.

Steely Dan Mar 11, 2022 7:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossabreezes (Post 9564159)

it helps me weed out who not to approach, be friends with, ect.

and the best part is, that works both ways!!!!!! :cheers:

example: i had to take my son to a doctor's appointment via the L the other day. our L stop is about 500' from our front door and per federal rules, masks are still required on all CTA property. i could have brought masks with us and put them on right before went into the station, but it was a cold day, and with hats and gloves and my son being 6, it was simply easier to put our masks on inside the comfort of our front hall for the 1 minute walk over to the L stop rather than fumbling around with all of that shit when we got over to the station.

had you walked past us on the sidewalk, you would have erroneously assumed that i'm some anti-science paranoid virtue-signaler not living in reality who was child-abusing my son by making him wear a mask outside. of course, absolutely none of that is remotely true, i was just taking the path of least resistance to comply with CTA mask rules while running an errand with my son on a cold march afternoon, but by your own admissions in this thread you would have assumed all of that none-the-less and stayed away from us and seen me as not "worthy of your friendship".

and i would've been happy that you did. :D

EVERYBODY WINS!

bossabreezes Mar 11, 2022 7:23 PM

So by me not wearing a mask, per your “win-win” comment, while outside, would make me anti science? It makes me paranoid or living in a fever dream?

Yeah that isn’t exactly a two way street.

I understand in this case it was easier for you and I can empathize or even get on board with that. If you were jogging along the lake with a mask on..... that’s where my comment is directed. Context is important, I realize that and hope you can too.

iheartthed Mar 11, 2022 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9564118)
Not bullshit. I live in suburban Houston and I've seen it even around here. Mostly young people; high school/ college age. Not a lot but enough to where it's noticeable.

I mean in the context of NYC. I'm out everyday and I honestly can't remember the last time I saw someone jogging with a mask on. Not since early pandemic. It doesn't really make sense because we're all in such close contact here. We understand better than just about any place in the country when wearing a mask is, and isn't, useful for blocking virus particles.

Now, it's entirely possible that he mistook someone jogging with a face warmer for someone jogging with a mask. Because it's still winter here.

JManc Mar 11, 2022 7:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossabreezes (Post 9564159)
I fully support their freedom to wear a mask while doing whatever they want.

It’s actually very helpful. Unless very old, it helps me weed out who not to approach, be friends with, ect. I don’t want to surround myself with people who are anti-science. We’ve been told masks don’t do what they told us they’d do by practically everyone at this point. I prefer people who actually listen, observe, question and live in reality rather than in their own self imposed covid feverdream.

Even more unfortunate weeding out potential friendships based on who is/ isn't wearing masks. Yeah, I am over the mask charade myself but I could not imagine writing a person off over one tiny aspect of their existence.

Steely Dan Mar 11, 2022 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossabreezes (Post 9564187)
. that’s where my comment is directed. .

and my comment is directed at you making assumptions about other people wearing masks. there's no way for you to know the full context of that other person you see wearing a mask that you randomly cross paths with for only a handful of seconds on the street.


once again, unless you're stopping and asking every person you see on the street who's still wearing a mask why they are doing so, making blanket statements about their motivations only serves to show that you are in fact talking out of your ass.

you don't know.

stop pretending that you do.

bossabreezes Mar 11, 2022 7:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9564194)
Even more unfortunate weeding out potential friendships based on who is/ isn't wearing masks. Yeah, I am over the mask charade myself but I could not imagine writing a person off over one tiny aspect of their existence.

At this point, with years of data and science telling us that the masks are not necessary anymore, yeah I think it’s fair to say people who are still casually hiding themselves are probably not very fun to be around.

In the early pandemic I would not have wanted to be around anti maskers. I was for masks, we knew nothing about covid and we wanted to cling to whatever made us more comfortable. Masks were sold to us as this comfort, and anti maskers were a threat to that.

Now we know better, but I absolutely know the majority of people would say, in the beginning of the pandemic, that they would avoid maskless people if possible.

Now I will avoid the masked while in unnecessary settings, because it shows massive cognitive dissonance and lack of grasp of reality.

badrunner Mar 11, 2022 7:35 PM

Being anti-mask is more of a virtue-signaling identity these days. Or a substitute for having a personality.

bossabreezes Mar 11, 2022 7:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badrunner (Post 9564217)
Being anti-mask is more of a virtue-signaling identity these days. Or a substitute for having a personality.

:haha:

BIG YIKES hahaha

badrunner Mar 11, 2022 7:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9564194)
Even more unfortunate weeding out potential friendships based on who is/ isn't wearing masks. Yeah, I am over the mask charade myself but I could not imagine writing a person off over one tiny aspect of their existence.

There's hardly anyone wearing masks anymore so it's weird seeing someone going on an anti-mask crusade like it's 2020.

It's kind of like that trucker convoy protesting non-existent mandates right as the pandemic is winding down.

Weird people. It sounds like they really miss the pandemic.

Steely Dan Mar 11, 2022 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badrunner (Post 9564240)
There's hardly anyone wearing masks anymore

i still see it around my neighborhood.

the closer to an L stop you are, the more likely it is to see.

so instead of looking down on outdoor maskers derisively, i just mentally chalk it up as "oh, they probably just got off the L".

because hey, sometimes that dreaded outdoor masker is even me, going to or from the train.

badrunner Mar 11, 2022 7:55 PM

Oh sure, people are still wearing them where required. But these days I hardly ever see anyone walking around outside or driving with one on. It's like 1% of people around here. It might be higher or lower in other cities. The point is, who cares anymore? It's that last one or two percent that really sticks in their craw :haha:.

JManc Mar 11, 2022 7:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bossabreezes (Post 9564205)

Now we know better, but I absolutely know the majority of people would say, in the beginning of the pandemic, that they would avoid maskless people if possible.

Now I will avoid the masked while in unnecessary settings, because it shows massive cognitive dissonance and lack of grasp of reality.

People who were maskless during the beginning of the pandemic were deliberately ignoring the science, flouting local mandates and ignoring mask policies in businesses so yeah, that's an easy judgment call. They were assholes. I would've avoided them.

As for people wearing masks now; yeah it's weird and there's probably some virtue signaling going on but as long as they aren't trying to force that on you or make you feel shitty for not wearing yours, it's a false equivalency to tie the two situations together.

mrnyc Mar 11, 2022 7:56 PM

so as we see and it seems its not just the sick or old that get most affected by covid, its based on genetic factors:



Apparently one's genes (specifically 16 of them) determine how severe Covid's effects will be in individual cases..



From today's Financial Times:

Coronavirus treatment

Scientists identify genetic factors behind severe Covid symptoms

...British scientists have identified some of the genetic factors that make certain people more likely to suffer severe Covid-19 symptoms than others, as part...

March 7, 2022


since ft has a paywall here is the source:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04576-6

Steely Dan Mar 11, 2022 8:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badrunner (Post 9564261)
The point is, who cares anymore?

totally.

i don't care.

i'm just pointing out that, when you do not know the context of why an individual you see wearing a mask outside is doing so, automatically assuming that they are a paranoid, anti-science, reality-denying, virtue-signaling moron is a pretty stupid game plan.

maybe that person literally did just get of the L and is just walking home and didn't take their mask off for whatever reason. it happens.

or maybe they really are just a paranoid, anti-science, reality-denying, virtue-signaling moron.

unless you stop and ask them what they are doing? where they are going? where they are coming from? why are they wearing a mask? etc. there is no possible fucking way to know.

TWAK Mar 11, 2022 8:19 PM

The people that care the most are the ones who constantly talk about how people are wearing masks. You usually don't see, at least on the forum, maximum rage for people not wearing masks. At least not anymore...
People are still getting furious for joggers or bikers wearing a mask and have to constantly bring it up. I bet some of you shout at the masked? Don't cha...?
LOL too at SF bikers/joggers not wearing masks but other areas who we think wouldn't be doing it...are.

eschaton Mar 11, 2022 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TWAK (Post 9564298)
The people that care the most are the ones who constantly talk about how people are wearing masks. You usually don't see, at least on the forum, maximum rage for people not wearing masks. At least not anymore...
People are still getting furious for joggers or bikers wearing a mask and have to constantly bring it up. I bet some of you shout at the masked? Don't cha...?
LOL too at SF bikers/joggers not wearing masks but other areas who we think wouldn't be doing it...are.

I just don't get why someone else wearing a mask would make anyone angry.

I can understand why you - as an individual - might not want to wear masks any longer (though I consider them a minor hassle at most). I can understand why some people still want others to wear masks (it's not backed up by science any longer, but at least there's a semi-rational fear behind it).

But someone else wearing a mask around you? That literally impacts you about as much as...I dunno...someone wearing a Nickelback T-shirt. Maybe you think it signifies poor taste, but is it really worth haranguing them about?

JManc Mar 11, 2022 8:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 9564311)
I just don't get why someone else wearing a mask would make anyone angry.

I can understand why you - as an individual - might not want to wear masks any longer (though I consider them a minor hassle at most). I can understand why some people still want others to wear masks (it's not backed up by science any longer, but at least there's a semi-rational fear behind it).

But someone else wearing a mask around you? That literally impacts you about as much as...I dunno...someone wearing a Nickelback T-shirt. Maybe you think it signifies poor taste, but is it really worth haranguing them about?

For wearing a Nickelback T-shirt? Absolutely?


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.