SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | BMO Tower | 727 FT | 50 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=224752)

Clarkkent2420 Sep 12, 2018 8:13 PM

#

Freefall Sep 12, 2018 8:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8312388)
The site plan is extremely unimpressive.

First, get rid of the fucking bus depot. Put it under the tower or underground.

They just spent $40 million dollars on that!

Ned.B Sep 12, 2018 9:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freefall (Post 8312423)

Exactly! The designers and development team have wanted to do all sorts of things with the bus transit center, because they rightfully see it as unfortunately cutting their site in two. But they tried building over it, moving it, or integrating the canopy, and it all came down to lack of support from CTA to do any of those things and major issues with tearing something up that just got a federal grant (if the station was changed too substantially, the CTA may have had to pay back the money they got) I guess it ended up being pretty much impossible to do anything but leave it where it is.

And yes, in a time when many tenants are trying to cram as many small workstations and hotelling spots on a floor as possible, rectangular buildings have a definite advantage over their more creatively shaped neighbors. Efficiency of the floor plate is way more important than having a signature design. Look at 151 N Franklin for example. It's a box and it's nearly invisible, but it's having no issues getting tenants. That all said, I think we should see how this thing really takes shape.

the urban politician Sep 12, 2018 9:57 PM

The bus transit center rocks!

Bus fumes, loud noises, commuters. It's all screams "you are in a big, bustling city!"

Why hide that?

AMWChicago Sep 12, 2018 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freefall (Post 8312423)

Haha was about to chime in as well

Mister Uptempo Sep 12, 2018 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8311909)
The slides should go up on Reilly's website by tonight.

Link to the slideshow.

BonoboZill4 Sep 13, 2018 12:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8311909)
I think floor count was 50-something, but the architect may have been vague because the design isn't yet finished. The slides should go up on Reilly's website by tonight.

I don't understand the bitching. Not only will the historic headhouse not be marred by an incompatible addition, and 1700 parking stalls reduced to 400 invisible ones, but the new tower is integrated with street level and plaza in a very promising way. From an urban design perspective, it's doing lots of good things.

Agreed

BonoboZill4 Sep 13, 2018 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daprato Rigali (Post 8312204)
looks like 110 N. Wacker was the first of twins.

I was thinking second of triplets because of the UBS building :haha:

Also thanks for the link Mister Uptemp.

SamInTheLoop Sep 13, 2018 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rlw777 (Post 8312209)
You're just trolling now. One minute you're pedantic about materials and in another you can't tell why this might be seen as more derivative of 110 Wacker than Trump tower is of Burj. :rolleyes:

The design is plainly derivative and the critique that it may be overly so is a valid one.

Correct.

This a copy. O’Donnell, Goettsch and ClarkKent just completely phoning it in now, unfortunately.....

BVictor1 Sep 13, 2018 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Uptempo (Post 8312552)

More than 1,000,000 sq ft of FAR left undeveloped. Pathetic...

LaSalle.St.Station Sep 13, 2018 12:50 AM

If any block qualified for super density based on TOD principles it would be this block. Downtown should be split up between multiple wards. One aldermen shouldn't be in control of the central business district.

Btw, a park next to a bus depot reminds me of how Pritzker park was on south state st.

SamInTheLoop Sep 13, 2018 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkkent2420 (Post 8309420)
I'll respectfully disagree.

Just reality. Still the nature of the cre industry.

So you’re not exactly an uninterested party, though, to O’Donnell/Goettsch/Clark Construction projects, as I called it a few years back.....as of a couple days ago, 98 of your last 100 posts were on 150 Riverside, 110 Wacker and Union Station. On the rare occasions when you post/opine on other projects, you often spout off on shortcomings/challenges they face - 130 Franklin’s ‘inferior’ location, WPS financing challenges, etc......very obvious.....

left of center Sep 13, 2018 1:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LaSalle.St.Station (Post 8312664)
If any block qualified for super density based on TOD principles it would be this block. Downtown should be split up between multiple wards. One aldermen shouldn't be in control of the central business district.

Btw, a park next to a bus depot reminds me of how Pritzker park was on south state st.

Fully agreed. Double the office space, and add residential to this. You can't get any more central and connected than this block. Largest commuter rail station in the US outside of New York immediately across the street, and within blocks of 7 heavy rail lines.

Notyrview Sep 13, 2018 2:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 8312668)

So you’re not exactly an uninterested party, though, to O’Donnell/Goettsch/Clark Construction projects, as I called it a few years back.....as of a couple days ago, 98 of your last 100 posts were on 150 Riverside, 110 Wacker and Union Station. On the rare occasions when you post/opine on other projects, you often spout off on shortcomings/challenges they face - 130 Franklin’s ‘inferior’ location, WPS financing challenges, etc......very obvious.....

Ha busted Clarkkent

BonoboZill4 Sep 13, 2018 2:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 8312768)
Ha busted Clarkkent

Wait, so does this mean that dude is a shill? Imagine shilling on an obscure skyscraper forum :haha:

spyguy Sep 13, 2018 3:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ithakas (Post 8311957)
Yeah, there was a residential tower planned as well. A little disappointed that all of the residential has been removed from the plan. It would have been nice to see this area evolve into one with a bit more of a mixed-use feel...

I think there is still a residential tower planned for the third phase over the south tracks (Canal between Jackson and Van Buren).

BVictor1 Sep 13, 2018 3:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spyguy (Post 8312858)
I think there is still a residential tower planned for the third phase over the south tracks (Canal between Jackson and Van Buren).

I don't think that piece of air rights is apart of it.

Mr Downtown Sep 13, 2018 4:47 AM

The more I've studied the scheme today, the more I realize how you guys need to just be more patient.

The bus center, for instance, is the perfect place to put a future second tower, using that remaining FAR, supported above the bus bays like examples we've seen in Toronto. But you don't do that phase now, with all its interminable negotiations with CDOT and CTA and its construction staging issues. You wait until you've proven the office demand in this location and wait until the new has worn off the site furnishings at the bus stops so FTA won't demand its money back.

Similarly, nothing keeps someone, 15 years from now, from going up another six or eight stories with 600 more hotel rooms on top of the headhouse, clad in the proper limestone. All that would be lost would be some light-frame construction of the penthouse rooms.

nomarandlee Sep 13, 2018 6:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8312923)
Similarly, nothing keeps someone, 15 years from now, from going up another six or eight stories with 600 more hotel rooms on top of the headhouse, clad in the proper limestone. All that would be lost would be some light-frame construction of the penthouse rooms.

Good. Was meaning to ask that.
Hopefully one day we will see something similar to the massing in the Goettsch 2017 designs.

The Lurker Sep 13, 2018 8:07 PM

^That design was at least tolerable but I want something better for the headhouse. Who referenced Hearst Tower? Unless we can get something of that caliber just leave it alone.

BonoboZill4 Sep 14, 2018 3:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 8312923)
The more I've studied the scheme today, the more I realize how you guys need to just be more patient.

The bus center, for instance, is the perfect place to put a future second tower, using that remaining FAR, supported above the bus bays like examples we've seen in Toronto. But you don't do that phase now, with all its interminable negotiations with CDOT and CTA and its construction staging issues. You wait until you've proven the office demand in this location and wait until the new has worn off the site furnishings at the bus stops so FTA won't demand its money back.

Yep, it's still a billion dollar plan according to these train boys, so if we are to take them at their word, we know there will be much more built since that headhouse and tower+park are gonna cost what, $400-500 million total maximum?

Clarkkent2420 Sep 14, 2018 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 8312668)

Whatever

SamInTheLoop Sep 14, 2018 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clarkkent2420 (Post 8314655)
Whatever

Lol.

Why no interest in the proximate WPE?

If office is strictly your thing, why no interest in proximate River Point?

What mean?

:koko:

Notyrview Sep 14, 2018 10:58 PM

^Lol

Abuilder0430 Sep 18, 2018 2:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8311843)

Coming to this thread late...take 110's building and add the park from 150 = Union Station. While I think GP has some very unique designs, I feel there was a quick turnaround around from the first community meeting to this new idea and they are using the "cut and paste method"

rgarri4 Sep 18, 2018 3:04 PM

Kinda hard to get a decent angle of this besides the one in the article. Place holder:

https://images2.imgbox.com/e2/ac/LyrV7uqN_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/c0/8e/UiDds0Jw_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/8a/7a/2a5npDgQ_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/16/b8/8jn5ZbSw_o.jpg

RedCorsair87 Sep 18, 2018 3:48 PM

What are the two towers next to 311 S. Wacker?

maru2501 Sep 18, 2018 3:53 PM

nice work as usual

this will add a little depth, but unspectacular

rgarri4 Sep 18, 2018 4:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedCorsair87 (Post 8318364)
What are the two towers next to 311 S. Wacker?

301 and 321 S wacker proposal:

https://chicago.curbed.com/2016/11/2...d-wacker-drive

r18tdi Sep 18, 2018 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarri4 (Post 8318447)

I completely forgot about those two.

jc5680 Dec 10, 2018 8:47 PM

Crains is reporting BMO signed a deal to move into this building

Quote:

BMO Harris Bank will consolidate its Chicago offices in 2022 at a new 50-story tower next to Union Station, the bank announced today.

In a deal that will bring 3,600 Chicago BMO employees into a single location, the Toronto-based bank has signed a lease for 14 floors at the skyscraper, which will be dubbed BMO Tower, the bank said in a statement.

The move into 500,000 square feet will consolidate the company's Loop offices

Skyguy_7 Dec 10, 2018 8:58 PM

^Another day, another major anchor tenant signs lease at another tower. What a time to be alive. :cheers:

the urban politician Dec 10, 2018 8:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8404440)
Crains is reporting BMO signed a deal to move into this building

GOD BLESS AMERICA!!!!!

:tup::cheers::notacrook:

For an era in which we are having relatively slow job growth and office construction compared to other regions, we are having ourselves a halfway decent office construction cycle

the urban politician Dec 10, 2018 9:04 PM

The question is, does this mean that Union Station renovations will still move forward? Isn't the development of this tower linked with that project?

lakeshoredrive Dec 10, 2018 9:06 PM

I hope the tower's design is refined some more. It looks way to similar to the bank of america tower.

gebs Dec 10, 2018 9:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive (Post 8404458)
I hope the tower's design is refined some more. It looks way to similar to the bank of america tower.

I agree. I keep assuming that was just a placeholder to show the massing and FAR for the purposes of city approvals. Is it really going to be just a semi-clone of 110 N Wacker?

chicubs111 Dec 10, 2018 9:20 PM

good news about us getting another tower but i mean another consolidation from Chicago offices isnt really the best for city... would rather have jobs coming from outside the city or even better the state into downtown.. there also like downsizing some 300k square feet of space (3 sites total 850k and going into new tower occupying 500k) . I just wish these huge leases would allow for taller office towers or even some interesting designs... there getting pretty boring now.

k1052 Dec 10, 2018 9:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8404456)
The question is, does this mean that Union Station renovations will still move forward? Isn't the development of this tower linked with that project?

I believe there is a bunch of work planned in the head house next year, mostly turning vacant/unrehabbed space into leasable footage for retail/food/beverage.

I know that Amtrak wants to get that thing generating some cash but the major problems in the concourse and at track level remain to be addressed. I'm getting a little concerned that none of that work will ever be done.

Zapatan Dec 10, 2018 9:49 PM

Excellent!

It'll be great for that area. I take it they'll also put their logo atop the building like all the other BMO towers?

killaviews Dec 10, 2018 10:01 PM

Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like they are bringing in any of their suburban employees.

Steely Dan Dec 10, 2018 10:33 PM

tribune article states that construction is set to begin in 2019 (though no more specificity is given).

so along with OCS, that makes two pretty solid chances for 700+' skyscraper starts in 2019. perhaps 1000M will surprise us too.

and according to the rendering posted with the tribune article, it looks like we'll be getting another giant corporate logo in the sky. hooray...... :uhh:

http://www.trbimg.com/img-5c0ecd79/t...ge/750/750x422
source: https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...210-story.html

Vlajos Dec 10, 2018 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killaviews (Post 8404521)
Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like they are bringing in any of their suburban employees.

Does BMO have sizable offices in the suburbs? I assume most employment is bank branches out there.

the urban politician Dec 10, 2018 10:55 PM

Well, think of it this way, if they are consolidating into one office, getting naming rights, and anchoring a new tower.......plus they are taking 500,000 sf for 3,600 employees, I'm wagering they are in expansion mode. There will likely be some workforce additions.

Donnie77 Dec 10, 2018 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8404540)
tribune article states that construction is set to begin in 2019 (though no more specificity is given).

so along with OCS, that makes two pretty solid chances for 700+' skyscraper starts in 2019. perhaps 1000M will surprise us too.

and according to the rendering posted with the tribune article, it looks like we'll be getting another giant corporate logo in the sky. hooray...... :uhh:

source: https://www.chicagotribune.com/busin...210-story.html

I dont mind the sinage aspect with these new towers because its still far few in between!

Banana ?:whistle:

Zapatan Dec 11, 2018 1:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8404540)

Call me crazy but I kinda like logos on top of buildings. :frog:

Also, while Equinox isn't quite 700+ it too could start pretty soon, and as a relative neighbor to BMO will really enhance that area.

I also believe a recent article was posted stating that 1000M would break ground next month. Not sure if that's still a go.

HomrQT Dec 11, 2018 1:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8404686)
Call me crazy but I kinda like logos on top of buildings. :frog:

As long as they are minimalist logos I'm ok with it. I've seen some wonky logos, especially overseas, and it just looks embarrassing.

NYC2ATX Dec 11, 2018 3:58 AM

Wow, with this and the Salesforce announcements, it feels like there will have been enough new office towers in this general area and along the river that it can be thought of as full redevelopment event/trend...sort of like when all the black and glass towers of Park Avenue in NYC went up at once in the '50s and '60s and fundamentally changed the feel of Midtown East. :cheers:

CastleScott Dec 11, 2018 4:05 AM

I would have preferred the earlier "cheese grader" but this one is good tall infill for west of the river-looks like they'll light it up good at night. Thanks for the rendering Steely Dan!:cheers:

rgolch Dec 11, 2018 4:08 AM

Not the most exciting tower. But I'm betting it'll look better in the flesh once it's done.

simon07 Dec 11, 2018 4:29 AM

What I like most about it is that it will beef up the SW loop skyline. I think it will really pop when you are driving West on 94 (really north in that spot) that section of the loop can use some more towers to bulk things up a bit.