SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | Tribune Tower Addition | 1,442 FT | 113 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=231808)

SoLoop Jan 25, 2018 1:03 PM

CHICAGO | Tribune Tower Addition | 1,442 FT | 113 FLOORS

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/gWp1...9.26.28_AM.png

https://i.imgur.com/tmu1Ap3.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/W46W...9.24.45_AM.png

http://tribunetowerredevelopment.com

New skyscraper rivaling Trump's in height could rise behind a redeveloped Tribune Tower

Developers plan city's second-tallest skyscraper next to new Tribune Tower condos
  • 1,422 feet
  • Adrian Smith + Gordon Gill Architecture
  • "Plans for the new tower, which could start construction in late 2019, call for a 200-room hotel, 439 rental apartments and 125 condominiums in its upper reaches."
  • "In the first phase, their plans call for 163 condominiums at Tribune Tower, which would retain its familiar name. The first units would be occupied in early 2020."

OhioGuy Jan 25, 2018 1:06 PM

CHICAGO | Tribune Tower redevelopment | ~1,388 feet

New skyscraper rivaling Trump’s in height could rise behind a redeveloped Tribune Tower

Chicago Tribune | By Bill Ruthhart and Blair KaminContact Reporters
Chicago Tribune, January 24, 2018

Quote:

skyscraper that would rival President Donald Trump’s Chicago high-rise as the city’s second-tallest would emerge behind the historic Tribune Tower, while the neo-Gothic office building would be turned into condominiums under still-evolving plans described by an alderman and two sources familiar with the proposal.

Envisioned as a hotel and condominium tower sheathed in steel and glass, the new skyscraper would soar to a height of 1,388 feet, downtown Ald. Brendan Reilly and a source familiar with the plans confirmed. That would be a foot shorter than the hotel-condo high-rise that Trump, then a real estate developer and reality TV star, completed in 2009.

Notyrview Jan 25, 2018 1:29 PM

😱😱😱

JMKeynes Jan 25, 2018 1:40 PM

Great news!

chris08876 Jan 25, 2018 2:07 PM

Quote:

A skyscraper that would rival President Donald Trump’s Chicago high-rise as the city’s second-tallest would emerge behind the historic Tribune Tower, while the neo-Gothic office building would be turned into condominiums under still-evolving plans described by an alderman and two sources familiar with the proposal.

They should call it the Barrack Obama Tower. It would be good hit for Trump's inflated ego.

Anyways, great news. Liking the super talls being revealed lately. Hope it accelerates! :cheers:

chris08876 Jan 25, 2018 2:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 230Roberto (Post 8060081)
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...525-story.html

Edit: I thought the trump tower was 1,388 feet tall.

To the tip it is or architectural its 1,389 ft. Occupied is somewhere around 1,100 ft.

If this new Tribune tower is to the roof, it will be the 2nd tallest disregarding the spire rules.

cannedairspray Jan 25, 2018 2:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8060149)
They should call it the Barrack Obama Tower. It would be good hit for Trump's inflated ego.

It says it'd be one foot shorter, so I'm sure that would actually garner a tweet about how he keeps winning.

the urban politician Jan 25, 2018 2:28 PM

God bless America

10023 Jan 25, 2018 2:35 PM

Sweet!

:cheers:

Am I the only one who finds it odd that they wouldn't program some office space in that location? I know that the West Loop is the hot market for that generally due to the trains, but this is just over the river from the Loop, and they are eliminating existing space with the condo conversion. It could be an attractive location for boutique offices, given all the nearby high end residential.

aaron38 Jan 25, 2018 2:35 PM

Interesting that they're comparing to Trump Tower's spire height and not the roof line. To me that indicates that this building will also have a spire. Else a 1388 roof height would make it dominate every building but Sears, and I think they'd be making different comparisons.

So plan commission this summer, but renderings are usually released well before that. I wonder how long we have to wait?

Quote:

The skyscraper would rise on the north side of what is now a parking lot behind Tribune Tower.
There's a map in the Tribune article. "Site A" looks to be only the northern third of the parking lot. Meaning this tower may not be any wider than One Bennett Park. It'll be very slender.

BVictor1 Jan 25, 2018 2:37 PM

This is Adrian Smith and he likes spires, so those who have been itching for a building with one, lets wait for this rendering.

10023 Jan 25, 2018 2:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 8060184)
Interesting that they're comparing to Trump Tower's spire height and not the roof line. To me that indicates that this building will also have a spire. Else a 1388 roof height would make it dominate every building but Sears, and I think they'd be making different comparisons.

So plan commission this summer, but renderings are usually released well before that. I wonder how long we have to wait?

There's a map in the Tribune article. "Site A" looks to be only the northern third of the parking lot. Meaning this tower may not be any wider than One Bennett Park. It'll be very slender.

That makes sense.

A slender tower that isn't overbearing toward its famous neighbor is the only thing that's getting approved here, anyway.

And perhaps that partly answers my question re: offices, although boutique offices don't need enormous floorplates either.

BVictor1 Jan 25, 2018 2:39 PM

^Remember, there's a protected view corridor from the east for Trib Tower, that's why this proposal is to the north of the site.

F1 Tommy Jan 25, 2018 2:43 PM

This will be amazing at that location if they do it.

aaron38 Jan 25, 2018 2:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8060183)
Am I the only one who finds it odd that they wouldn't program some office space in that location?

Not really. Land values east of Michigan are quite high, and good companies are frugal. I see need for some office space like doctors, dentists, personal lawyers, accountants and such. But not corporate office space.

jc5680 Jan 25, 2018 2:44 PM

Smith + Gill… Wow, I can't wait to see some renderings. This could be something truly great.

If the tower is just that portion of the lot the Trib article highlights, doesn't the unit count seem rather low? Even if we are talking a large number of full floor ultra luxury units like Vista there is still like a 300+ unit swing there

10023 Jan 25, 2018 2:45 PM

Does the same developer own the southern half of the site?

10023 Jan 25, 2018 2:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aaron38 (Post 8060201)
Not really. Land values east of Michigan are quite high, and good companies are frugal. I see need for some office space like doctors, dentists, personal lawyers, accountants and such. But not corporate office space.

Hedge funds, private equity, media firms, etc.

That's what I meant by boutique offices, and there is a market for super prime locations, for companies whose very picky and highly paid employees prefer them. That's why there is tons of office space in Mayfair or Park Avenue. It's a different niche, but it exists.

Steely Dan Jan 25, 2018 2:49 PM

Smith + Gill?

1,388'?

chicago?

YES PLEASE!

aaron38 Jan 25, 2018 2:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8060204)

It's not clear to me. The map doesn't label the southern 2/3rds at all. But from this quote, it sounds like the entire lot is being replaced.

Quote:

The current plans contemplate 365 parking spaces, which Reilly said would not be a substantial increase on the number of spaces currently in the Tribune outdoor lot. The new skyscraper would include an additional 500 parking spaces, located on the second through eighth floors. But Reilly said he has pushed to reduce the number of parking spaces, citing an abundance of nearby public transportation.

spyguy Jan 25, 2018 2:52 PM

Reilly comes across as reasonable in the article. Height, density, and program seemed fine to him while he was against too much parking.

Anyways, can't wait to see the models of this thing from AS+GG. The fact that this is reported as being nearly exactly the same height as Trump Tower is also quite interesting...

BVictor1 Jan 25, 2018 3:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8060204)

Yes. The entire vacant lot, but there's a view corridor that protects sight lines of Tribune Tower down Ogden Slip. That's why the new tower is proposed to the north part of the site.

OhioGuy Jan 25, 2018 3:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8060241)
Yes. The entire vacant lot, but there's a view corridor that protects the view of Tribune Tower down Ogden Slip. That's why the new tower is proposed to the north part of the site.

There’s a big blank wall from the NBC Tower on the southern side of that lot. Do you know if any development on the southern side of the lot can be as high as that blank wall? Or would doing so impede on the views down the Ogden Slip between Lake Shore Drive and the Tribune Tower? Just wondering how high they can go on that southern portion of the lot before it impacts the protected view.

aaron38 Jan 25, 2018 3:10 PM

Skyline is going to get real crowded from my vantage point. This new Tribune Tower should pop up between Trump and OBP (marked here by the cranes). With Vista between Trump and Aon, (and Wolf Point South) a big central clump is forming.

http://i64.tinypic.com/23vhizo.jpg[/QUOTE]

chris08876 Jan 25, 2018 3:14 PM

From the article, it looks like this might have some fierce NIMBY responses.

Let's just say its to the roof, its a game changer, really for the U.S.. Not many "to the roof" super talls rising outside of the East Coast past the 1300 ft mark.

Mr Downtown Jan 25, 2018 3:21 PM

Fierce NIMBY responses? Where the hell do you get that from?

10023, very little market for office space here. Too far from the train stations; not even convenient to the L. Remember that several buildings in this area (900 N. Michigan, 645 St. Clair, London Guaranty, 75 E. Wacker, IBM, Tribune, Trump prior to construction) have gone from office to hotel or residential.

Steely Dan Jan 25, 2018 3:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8060264)

NIMBYism in chicago amounts to jack shit if the alderman's wheels have been adequately greased.

and it sounds like they may have been in this case.

Quote:

Let's just say its to the roof, its a game changer, really for the U.S.. Not many "too the roof" super talls rising outside of the East Coast past the 1300 ft mark.

in fact there is only one "to the roof" 1,300'+ skyscraper anywhere in the western hemisphere outside of NYC: the sears tower.

OhioGuy Jan 25, 2018 3:22 PM

Quote:

Let's just say its to the roof, its a game changer, really for the U.S.. Not many "too the roof" super talls rising outside of the East Coast past the 1300 ft mark.

The alderman seems tentatively onboard with a big tower here. And with a good design, perhaps neighborhood angst can be tempered? After all, the Spire survived any neighborhood NIMBY groups in this area to receive city approval. Presumably neighbors recognized it would be an iconic structure. The same could be said for this development as well if the design is top shelf.

rgarri4 Jan 25, 2018 3:33 PM

Nice! Great location for something this tall. This will really make an impact if built!

https://images2.imgbox.com/a8/68/IzQyXDw3_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/ce/07/W8AyfhaV_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/1b/e6/fyvqxOA6_o.jpg

https://images2.imgbox.com/a4/43/cY5vOWk2_o.jpg

Steely Dan Jan 25, 2018 3:38 PM

^ excellent!

thanks for whipping that up so fast.

gebs Jan 25, 2018 3:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rgarri4 (Post 8060301)

We're going to need a mop for all this drool.

the urban politician Jan 25, 2018 4:00 PM

NIMBYs won't bring this down. Only financial issues potentially could, like most supertalls

Kenmore Jan 25, 2018 4:03 PM

Really an amazing central core boom going on in Chicago, dichotomy between declining overall city population and inner core growth seems unprecedented in America.

UPChicago Jan 25, 2018 4:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8060186)
This is Adrian Smith and he likes spires, so those who have been itching for a building with one, lets wait for this rendering.

What would lead you to believe that?

Chi-Sky21 Jan 25, 2018 4:21 PM

If this gets built and the mouth of the river fills in with the planned river east buildings.....the trip down the river is going to look amazing. The view from the lake is going to have nice big grouping of tall buildings in the center now! Love it

BVictor1 Jan 25, 2018 4:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UPChicago (Post 8060419)
What would lead you to believe that?

He has a history of placing spires atop the buildings he designs; from AT&T to NBC to the Burj and Kingdom.

nomarandlee Jan 25, 2018 4:33 PM

Say whaaaaaaaaa!!!!

Good golly Miss Molly.

BVictor1 Jan 25, 2018 4:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioGuy (Post 8060254)
There’s a big blank wall from the NBC Tower on the southern side of that lot. Do you know if any development on the southern side of the lot can be as high as that blank wall? Or would doing so impede on the views down the Ogden Slip between Lake Shore Drive and the Tribune Tower? Just wondering how high they can go on that southern portion of the lot before it impacts the protected view.

The short portion of NBC where you're talking about is the view corridor. The lots north and south are out of the way.

The blank wall is the north face of NBC, the south face is upper east North Water Street.

KWillChicago Jan 25, 2018 4:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8060183)
Sweet!

:cheers:

Am I the only one who finds it odd that they wouldn't program some office space in that location? I know that the West Loop is the hot market for that generally due to the trains, but this is just over the river from the Loop, and they are eliminating existing space with the condo conversion. It could be an attractive location for boutique offices, given all the nearby high end residential.

Maybe they know somthing about the two nbc sites that we don't, and will get built into extended office buildings like originaly planed.

When I saw the original towers model they had in mind on the 20th floor ten years ago it was two taller towers north and south of nbc with a massive skybridge over to the south lot. Both other towers were the say art deco design.

left of center Jan 25, 2018 4:51 PM

Holy crap! Adrian Smith returns to designing in his hometown in one hell of a grand fashion!

Any idea on when renderings or elevations might be released?

UPChicago Jan 25, 2018 4:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8060438)
He has a history of placing spires atop the buildings he designs; from AT&T to NBC to the Burj and Kingdom.

I think a statement like that implies that a spire is a sure bet but I don't think the majority of his work has spires and I think Burj Khalifa and Kingdom Tower are outliers because the purpose of their design is to be tall almost above all other functions.

left of center Jan 25, 2018 4:52 PM

Can an admin give this thread a Chicago tag? Also, the Chicago Economic News thread as well, please and thank you!

OhioGuy Jan 25, 2018 4:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BVictor1 (Post 8060460)
The short portion of NBC where you're talking about is the view corridor. The lots north and south are out of the way.

The blank wall is the north face of NBC, the south face is upper east North Water Street.

Yup, I just wasn’t sure if the base of this proposed tower could extend south to meet up level with the blank wall from the NBC Tower, as long as the new tower is situated on the north end of the lot to keep the site line open? Or if constructing any structure on the south end of the lot above the street level of Illinois Street and Cityfront Plaza Drive would compromise the site line too much?

left of center Jan 25, 2018 5:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhioGuy (Post 8060508)
Yup, I just wasn’t sure if the base of this proposed tower could extend south to meet up level with the blank wall from the NBC Tower, as long as the new tower is situated on the north end of the lot to keep the site line open? Or if constructing any structure on the south end of the lot above the street level of Illinois Street and Cityfront Plaza Drive would compromise the site line too much?

I believe the NBC tower is one block to the east of this development, across Cityfront Plaza. The proposed tower will be occupying the southwest corner of Illinois & Cityfront, whereas the blank wall along NBC spans a full block of Illinois, between Cityfront and Columbus.

But to answer your question, if anything is built to the north of NBC tower, yes they would be able to put a lowrise portion of it within the confines of the view corridor in order to meet up with the NBC tower party wall. Its much like 465 N Park, the tower portion is to the north of the lot, with a lowrise section in the view corridor that meets up with the lowrise base of the Loews Hotel.

OhioGuy Jan 25, 2018 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8060551)
I believe the NBC tower is one block to the east of this development, across Cityfront Plaza. The proposed tower will be occupying the southwest corner of Illinois & Cityfront, whereas the blank wall along NBC spans a full block of Illinois, between Cityfront and Columbus.

But to answer your question, if anything is built to the north of NBC tower, yes they would be able to put a lowrise portion of it within the confines of the view corridor in order to meet up with the NBC tower party wall. Its much like 465 N Park, the tower portion is to the north of the lot, with a lowrise section in the view corridor that meets up with the lowrise base of the Loews Hotel.

Oh right. Sorry about that. I had it in my mind the lot to be developed was the lot between the NBC Tower so the south and the building that houses a Whole Foods to the north (where upper Illinois ends at Columbus Drive, I think called the Fairbanks at Cityfront?). Now I realize the lot for this development is the one directly west of this one (across Cityfront Plaza). Thanks!

aaron38 Jan 25, 2018 5:46 PM

Looking at the site on Streetview from LSD and Columbus, they could build a lowrise on the southern portion of the lot up to about 5 stories before they infringed on views of the tower itself. They'd only be blocking the old printing building.

10023 Jan 25, 2018 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8060281)
NIMBYism in chicago amounts to jack shit if the alderman's wheels have been adequately greased.

This is a fantastic quote.

So... are we looking at Chicago's version of 432 Park here?

Unfortunately, I don't want to be a wet blanket, but I think we're looking at a market reckoning before this one can possibly hit its pre-sale numbers and secure financing, especially with so much else in the pipeline. :runaway:

aaron38 Jan 25, 2018 6:07 PM

It's only 158 condos. Selling 50 units in the heart of Chicago doesn't sound too hard.

munchymunch Jan 25, 2018 6:12 PM

This is dope, can't wait to see the renderings. Also there is no way they keep it one foot smaller then the trump tower. :haha:

Khantilever Jan 25, 2018 6:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by munchymunch (Post 8060673)
This is dope, can't wait to see the renderings. Also there is no way they keep it one foot smaller then the trump tower. :haha:

Yup, I read that as a hint that it *will* be taller but they’re going to avoid provoking Dear Leader until the plan is final