SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   CHICAGO: Transit Developments (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101657)

denizen467 Nov 6, 2011 9:30 AM

^ You're referring to the elevated portion that would become dis-used, right? I think that runs over alleys for almost the entire stretch in question (to Loyola or something?) and so at best there would be, over decades, a zillion little landowner transactions buying a mini-plot to build a garage or something, no?

denizen467 Nov 6, 2011 9:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Standpoor (Post 5452774)
Well some might not care any more, but after talking about it for months on end construction has re-started on the UP-North bridge replacement project. There has been a crane at Sunnyside and Ravenswood now for a couple of weeks and when I walked by today, there were steel beams, lane closures, a whole mess of ties, and workers setting up a bunch of hydraulic lines. Eight years to go. :cheers:

Belated thanks for this update. It will be nice to see progress on these. Though the rustic viaducts can be pretty and new ones can be a bit brutalistic depending on the structure used.

the urban politician Nov 6, 2011 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denizen467 (Post 5469952)
^ You're referring to the elevated portion that would become dis-used, right? I think that runs over alleys for almost the entire stretch in question (to Loyola or something?) and so at best there would be, over decades, a zillion little landowner transactions buying a mini-plot to build a garage or something, no?

^ Yes, I was referring to that.

emathias Nov 7, 2011 5:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 5469459)
^ One benefit of the subway option for the Red Line is that the CTA can actually sell the ROW to private developers. That doesn't exist for the other options. I wonder if that has ever been discussed at any of the meetings?

I think it'd be better as a elevated park or, perhaps, a bicycle expressway.

Mr Downtown Nov 7, 2011 7:15 PM

The North Side Main is two different kinds of ROW. From Belmont to Irving Park, it's traditional steel viaduct over public alley. That's probably tricky to develop in any useful way. From Irving Park to Wilson, it's steel structure over the old railroad ROW. Could be sold off, but it's not clear to me whether it's owned by the city or CTA, and most of it is a strip between Graceland Cemetery and the linear "Challenger Park," so the neighbors wouldn't think development a possibility. North of Wilson, it's a 60-foot right-of-way now owned in fee by CTA, apparently, often flanked by alleys on both sides. This could conceivably be a string of new infill buildings, but I wouldn't get too excited. The Winthrop-Kenmore corridor is not exactly the hottest real estate around. The uncertainty of dealing with the environmental implications of removing the existing fill is one thing, the uncertainty of dealing with neighborhood groups in Uptown and Edgewater is another.

Beta_Magellan Nov 7, 2011 9:26 PM

I also doubt it would be redeveloped as a string of tall buildings—if the elevated was replaced with a subway, there’d be infill along streetfronts (probably keeping original CTA facades in some instances), but most of the value would come from making the corridor more attractive (less noise, same service) and would allow any potential new infill to go deeper into the block.

ardecila Nov 8, 2011 1:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 5469459)
^ One benefit of the subway option for the Red Line is that the CTA can actually sell the ROW to private developers. That doesn't exist for the other options. I wonder if that has ever been discussed at any of the meetings?

Yes, it was discussed at the meetings, and I remember seeing it in CTA's scoping comments compilation. I'm not sure they took it seriously, but it's on their radar in some form.

In other news, the 75th Street Corridor posted stuff about their massive proposal. I'm posting it here since it doesn't directly relate to the Regional Rail projects.

It includes two new flyovers and some intense track re-arrangement to eliminate conflicts. The rendering posted of the SouthWest Service flyover is such a joke, though. Did Metra switch from Nippon Sharyo to Lionel for their passenger cars?

http://img812.imageshack.us/img812/5011/flyover.jpg

lawfin Nov 8, 2011 2:06 AM

This is a graphic of the proposed city wide brt....I don't recall seeing before apologies of it was already posted:

source:http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/2...ity-mobility/#

http://www.thetransportpolitic.com/w...hicago-BRT.jpg

Beta_Magellan Nov 8, 2011 3:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5471959)

Incompetence, a trick of perspective, or not-so-strategic misrepresentation? :rolleyes:

Although I just got through a week of bitching online about CAHSR’s viaducts, I’d say that, regardless of how poorly this image probably represents the way the viaduct will actually cut through the area, it’s worth noting that this will only be about a block long and will probably go a long way towards improving the SouthWest Service’s speed and reliability, taking it off of Norfolk Southern tracks in the city (I’m pretty sure a lot of its delays happen there) and allowing it to be rerouted onto the RI line to LaSalle (not to mention that this project also untangles other traffic).

All of this, of course, makes it all the more frustrating that CREATE couldn’t do a better job with its renderings.

zilfondel Nov 8, 2011 3:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beta_Magellan (Post 5472152)
Incompetence, a trick of perspective, or not-so-strategic misrepresentation? :rolleyes:

Although I just got through a week of bitching online about CAHSR’s viaducts, I’d say that, regardless of how poorly this image probably represents the way the viaduct will actually cut through the area, it’s worth noting that this will only be about a block long and will probably go a long way towards improving the SouthWest Service’s speed and reliability, taking it off of Norfolk Southern tracks in the city (I’m pretty sure a lot of its delays happen there) and allowing it to be rerouted onto the RI line to LaSalle (not to mention that this project also untangles other traffic).

All of this, of course, makes it all the more frustrating that CREATE couldn’t do a better job with its renderings.

Judging by the height of the surrounding houses and the train rendering, the train would probably be twice as tall/large as depicted in that render. Which really isn't surprising.

If you look closely, the depicted it the same height as a CAR, around 4 feet. Most trains are ~10' tall.

ardecila Nov 8, 2011 1:01 PM

A Metra gallery car is 15'10".

If the engineers can actually build a viaduct with such a long span and slender deck, that's awesome. I don't think it's possible, though, at least not outside of the Netherlands.

This is a relatively new rail flyover designed to American standards in Kansas City. The ratio of column to deck to train-car length is correct in the rendering, but the whole thing is only about 60% of actual size. That little rowhouse seen under the flyover in the rendering could fit under the lower of the two flyovers in the KC picture.

http://www.stuorg.iastate.edu/railro...C05/UP6855.jpg
source

M II A II R II K Nov 10, 2011 5:11 PM

Chicago regional rail passengers to be hit with sharp fare hikes

Read More: http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/no...metr-n09.shtml

Quote:

Chicago regional rail provider Metra has announced a massive price hike for riders, beginning in February 2012. Tickets will go up an average of 25 percent, with the most popular options rising more. For over 300,000 weekday riders, the price increase demands hundreds of dollars more in fares per year. Metra, like many other transit agencies, has faced repeated budget deficits during the recession. It is the third largest commuter rail system in the US by ridership and the largest geographically, covering 3,700 square miles in six counties. These counties fund the Regional Transportation Authority, which operates Metra, Pace (regional bus service) and the Chicago Transit Authority.

The RTA requires that each of these agencies obtain 50 percent or more of revenue for operations through fares. The other funding source of operations is a regional sales tax. Sales tax receipts have been lower than anticipated for years and are far below what was projected when the sales tax was last revised. Ridership growth stalled in 2008, at the onset of the recession, and has yet to recover, leading to a loss of ticket revenue. The cost of diesel has risen dramatically over the last several years, from a low of $41.9 million dollars in 2009 to a projected high of $76.4 million dollars in 2012. All but one of Metra’s routes rely on diesel powered trains.

In total, an increasing deficit for operations has emerged as fuel costs rise, sales tax revenue falls, and ticket revenue stagnates. For several years Metra management has covered the operating deficit by shifting capital funding—used for the maintenance and purchase of equipment and track—to the operating budget. In 2011, $60 million of capital funding was used for operations. New management at Metra has decided that the need for capital investment is reaching a tipping point, risking safety, speed, and service. The 2012 budget will end the pattern of using capital funds for operating expenses, leaving a $53 million gap in the budget.

http://www.wsws.org/images/2011nov/n...r-plat-480.jpg

Mr Downtown Nov 10, 2011 10:07 PM

About fucking time

CDOT will put back the crosswalk at Queen's Landing. From the Tribune:

The Lake Shore Drive pedestrian crosswalk between Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park and the lakefront that was removed in 2005 to speed up traffic flow will be reinstalled, city transportation officials said Thursday.

The work to restore the crosswalk and the traffic signal at Queen’s Landing, one of the city’s most popular visitor attractions on the lakefront promenade, will begin Thursday, according to the Chicago Department of Transportation.The Lake Shore Drive pedestrian crosswalk between Buckingham Fountain in Grant Park and the lakefront that was removed in 2005 to speed up traffic flow will be reinstalled, city transportation officials said Thursday.

The work to restore the crosswalk and the traffic signal at Queen’s Landing, one of the city’s most popular visitor attractions on the lakefront promenade, will begin Thursday, according to the Chicago Department of Transportation.

Story here.

J_M_Tungsten Nov 11, 2011 12:43 PM

FYI, they are doing a lot of construction at the Clark and Division stop. Have they already started the rebuild?

CTA Gray Line Nov 11, 2011 1:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M II A II R II K (Post 5475539)
Chicago regional rail passengers to be hit with sharp fare hikes

Read More: http://www.wsws.org/articles/2011/no...metr-n09.shtml

http://www.wsws.org/images/2011nov/n...r-plat-480.jpg

NO ONE wants to confront Metra (and CTA) on how they waste money - so let the fare hikes fly!

emathias Nov 11, 2011 2:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J_M_Tungsten (Post 5476701)
FYI, they are doing a lot of construction at the Clark and Division stop. Have they already started the rebuild?

They may be prepping utilities, but I don't think they're slated to begin actual construction until 2012.

J_M_Tungsten Nov 11, 2011 2:57 PM

That would make sense. The have the road torn open on the southeast corner of Clark and Division and the lanes are diverted around that coming from the north.

ardecila Nov 11, 2011 8:33 PM

Halsted Street Bridge

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6120/...ac575c75_b.jpg
flickr/Alvarez

J_M_Tungsten Nov 11, 2011 9:50 PM

Great shot. OT,but wasn't there supposed to be a development right along the river there a while back? Will that ever come to fruition?

untitledreality Nov 11, 2011 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ardecila (Post 5477139)
Halsted Street Bridge

I cannot wait for that bridge to reopen, Im getting really tired of fending off motorists on the Division bridge as I bike over to Hooker.