SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

arp32 May 15, 2014 9:23 PM

Thanks for the tip, I was foiled by "apartments" instead of "lofts."

westbev93 May 15, 2014 9:41 PM

Not sure if this is actually new or just an announcement of something we've known about, but UofA is building a 10-story building at the biotech campus downtown.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...l.html?ana=fbk

PHXFlyer11 May 15, 2014 9:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by westbev93 (Post 6579674)
Not sure if this is actually new or just an announcement of something we've known about, but UofA is building a 10-story building at the biotech campus downtown.

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...l.html?ana=fbk

Just saw this as well. This looks like a new announcement. This, along with ASU's announcement today of a 6-story building is great!

I could really see that Central Station project coming to life now. The demand continues to increase for housing downtown!

HX_Guy May 15, 2014 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHXFlyer11 (Post 6579700)
Just saw this as well. This looks like a new announcement. This, along with ASU's announcement today of a 6-story building is great!

I could really see that Central Station project coming to life now. The demand continues to increase for housing downtown!

What ASU announcement of a 6 story today?

gymratmanaz May 15, 2014 10:10 PM

not new, i think he is talking about the Cancer center

PHXFlyer11 May 15, 2014 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gymratmanaz (Post 6579751)
not new, i think he is talking about the Cancer center

Sorry yes, not new, but the revised plans were released today.

Check the ASU/UA Downtown thread.

poconoboy61 May 15, 2014 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 6577969)
Phoenix's size is why a "pick your winners" strategy is important. Sure Happy Valley isn't going to be walkable, but who cares? Central Phoenix has the potential to be as walkable as just about any other American city.

From your post that I responded to, I thought you were questioning the idea that Phoenix as a whole has to remain as suburban as it is. You're right, far North Phoenix isn't going to be walkable and very few people care to make it that way. However, if you look much, much closer into the core, there are still areas that many urbanists believe should have less of a suburban footprint that they currently have that still will never be urban. Long time residents of neighborhoods much closer to downtown have argued against change any time a proposal that goes against the grain has arisen. I think it is virtually impossible for the city to make any major changes to any neighborhoods (outside of the immediate downtown core and in lower income areas) without an outcry from neighborhood residents that will be so great that the city will not go forward with whatever they're proposing. It's the way Phoenix works. If residents don't like a proposal, it's not going to happen. I think Phoenix is like it is because this is what the masses want. If there was enough opposition to the low density, single family sprawl that carpets the city, there would be more high density areas with high rises. That's just not what we have.

The only way to get change in this city is to have politicians who are willing to either commit political suicide or somehow drum up enough support from local residents (again, not going to happen) to proceed with something unique to Phoenix. It is unfortunate, but it is reality. I think that the easiest way to get around this challenge is for the city to find an economically challenged neighborhood where a good number of residents would be agreeable to a neighborhood transformation to reduce crime, attract jobs, etc. and try higher density there. A good start might be along S. Central where the light rail might travel one day. I think the city could upzone areas along Central to require much higher building heights and more traditional urban design. Seeing as the city almost completely lacks this, I think if this came to fruition and was successful it might lessen resistance in other neighborhoods toward adopting this style. But in neighborhoods that are well established, with neighbors with strong political influence, strong neighborhood groups, transformation will not be happening any time soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buckeye Native 001 (Post 6577989)
The ship hasn't sailed, but Phoenix is at an extremely volatile point in its history/growth and has to make a decision/commitment to whatever type of city it wants to be.

I think the foundation for a viable urban core has been placed thanks to the leadership of mayors Gordon and Stanton. At the same time, I worry that someone like DiCiccio will be the next mayor in 2015 and kill off whatever progress has already been made.

That said, I like what Phoenix has done so far and grow tired of critics who demand that Phoenix transform itself into urban mecca yesterday (or have whatever unrealistic expectations that the majority of forumers from elsewhere think Phoenix should be at its present stage) completely disregarding the last sixty years of urban development trends not just locally but also nationwide.

Long story short: While I'm no longer a resident of Phoenix, I've since learned to appreciate what it is and what it represents and am hopeful it will continue to urbanize its central core in the future. From personal experience, the majority of Arizonans not living in the Valley simply have no idea how dependent we are on Phoenix no matter how much we might despise it (looking at you, Flagstaff)

The ship has long sailed away in most areas. Those neighborhoods are what they are and there will be no change. The crucial time for us was in the 1940s-1970s when the neighborhoods outside of the downtown core were being platted. They were designed the way they were and the period of retrotting them is gone. The city we have today is not a result of recent decisions. It is a direct reflection of the choices we made when we still had a chance to chart our own identity. We have decided to be suburban and that's what we'll remain.

dtnphx May 15, 2014 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HX_Guy (Post 6579740)
What ASU announcement of a 6 story today?

University of Arizona to build $136M, 10-story medical research building in downtown Phoenix

http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/b...=image_gallery

Whoo hoo!

Wizened Variations May 16, 2014 2:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poconoboy61 (Post 6579788)
From your post that I responded to, I thought you were questioning the idea that Phoenix as a whole has to remain as suburban as it is. You're right, far North Phoenix isn't going to be walkable and very few people care to make it that way. However, if you look much, much closer into the core, there are still areas that many urbanists believe should have less of a suburban footprint that they currently have that still will never be urban. Long time residents of neighborhoods much closer to downtown have argued against change any time a proposal that goes against the grain has arisen. I think it is virtually impossible for the city to make any major changes to any neighborhoods (outside of the immediate downtown core and in lower income areas) without an outcry from neighborhood residents that will be so great that the city will not go forward with whatever they're proposing. It's the way Phoenix works. If residents don't like a proposal, it's not going to happen. I think Phoenix is like it is because this is what the masses want. If there was enough opposition to the low density, single family sprawl that carpets the city, there would be more high density areas with high rises. That's just not what we have.

The only way to get change in this city is to have politicians who are willing to either commit political suicide or somehow drum up enough support from local residents (again, not going to happen) to proceed with something unique to Phoenix. It is unfortunate, but it is reality. I think that the easiest way to get around this challenge is for the city to find an economically challenged neighborhood where a good number of residents would be agreeable to a neighborhood transformation to reduce crime, attract jobs, etc. and try higher density there. A good start might be along S. Central where the light rail might travel one day. I think the city could upzone areas along Central to require much higher building heights and more traditional urban design. Seeing as the city almost completely lacks this, I think if this came to fruition and was successful it might lessen resistance in other neighborhoods toward adopting this style. But in neighborhoods that are well established, with neighbors with strong political influence, strong neighborhood groups, transformation will not be happening any time soon.

The ship has long sailed away in most areas. Those neighborhoods are what they are and there will be no change. The crucial time for us was in the 1940s-1970s when the neighborhoods outside of the downtown core were being platted. They were designed the way they were and the period of retrotting them is gone. The city we have today is not a result of recent decisions. It is a direct reflection of the choices we made when we still had a chance to chart our own identity. We have decided to be suburban and that's what we'll remain.

Excellent write up.

To my knowledge, Phoenix has been the last city in the US to build out it's freeway system: all the loops post date the 1970s, and, new loops continue to be built.

Part of the current problem relates to the velocity of change of demographics which have occurred in virtually every US city after WWII that developed very extensive single family sprawl, and, is proportional to the rate of expansion of this sprawl and the time in which the sprawl occurred. Phoenix has been one of the last US cities to go through it's explosive suburban growth period.

This US wide process is compounded in Phoenix by the small size of the urban core built prior to this explosive suburban growth and by the lack of old small towns surrounding the core. The city of Phoenix never grew large enough in the railroad age to have extensive railroad right-of-ways available for (relatively) cheap lines. Likewise, Phoenix never had many possible potential right-of-ways connecting downtown to railroad age small towns due to the paucity of such towns.

The problem, is, however, that suburban growth as shown in cities such as Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, and, Atlanta will not continue due to interacting factors relating to rising material and energy costs due to national and global factors beyond local control. For example, housing subsidies resulting from extraordinarily low interest rates which permit builders to purchase high priced materials while providing the purchaser with (fairly) low interest costs will end, and, housing prices will have to adjust to a more accurate mark to market pricing system. Housing costs, for the bottom 90% or more will change dramatically, perhaps morphing further into 3 to 5 story rentals, owned by corporations. Another example might be the rapid rise of air conditioning and transportation costs upon the same 90 (or so) percent, with the real costs of reconstructing the housing stock and replacing the automobile fleet greater than the ability of people to pay due, again, to global demand.

So Phoenix is stuck with what it has, and, will pay a very high price for it's mistakes. While this also can be said about all large US cities, Phoenix is afflicted with a far more severe case of the "past mistakes" than most. For example, Phoenix does not have an extensive downtown building supply to convert into "micro apartments" such as NYC, Pittsburgh, and, Chicago have. Likewise, Phoenix does not have affordable right of way to provide time efficient BRT, light rail, or commuter rail options.

Only smart thinking, combined with both the willingness and the available money to invest in energy efficient, small dwellings within an hour transportation distance of employment will save Phoenix from imploding (not so much in population but in both footprint and relative wealth).

turpentyne May 16, 2014 7:14 PM

I second what Wizened said about the The post-WWII population surge, railroad era and so forth. Phoenix was also swept up in the advent of housing developments, by John F. Long and others, that started here in Phoenix and spread across the U.S.

Along with all this, there was a habit of annexing new areas to swallow up taxable land before other cities could. That's why Tempe got essentially landlocked between Scottsdale/Mesa/Phoenix (and probably a reason, why the city seems to be welcoming upward growth with open arms compared to Phoenix)

There are numerous reasons for Pheonix's massive expansion. But now Phoenix finds itself having to change tack, because it can't keep spreading, the housing market is still rough, and it needs to find more tax revenue. This, I think is one reason why they've begun to consider improving density.

I do want to throw out a word of caution, while it's on my mind... if you look at the oldest plat maps, and overlay a little bit of history, you'll find that some of those empty lots around town are actually archaeological gold mines. They're empty for a reason. Remember why Phoenix is named the way it is. Duppa, Y.T. Smith and others settled an area with numerous ancient structures - not just Casa Grande. And Phoenix has one of THE most powerful Archaeological departments in the U.S. In fact, its the template for most other city Archaeological offices around the Country, to my understanding. With that power to shut down a construction project, it can get a little tricky to build on some of these lots.

I do believe most of the downtown vacant lots are already pre-developed land, though. So, not as big a challenge with in-fill projects closer in ... though the Maricopa County Sherriff's office might dissagree ;)

ASUSunDevil May 16, 2014 10:58 PM

Developers look to revive Phoenix Observation Tower project

Mike Sunnucks
Senior Reporter
Phoenix Business Journal
May 16, 2014

The proposed 420-foot pinwheeling Phoenix Observation Tower may have a second chance at life.

Novawest LLC, the development firm proposing the tourism attraction, is talking to a private landowner in Phoenix about the tower project. This comes after a plan to locate the tower next to the Arizona Science Center in downtown Phoenix fell through earlier this year.

“The Observation Tower is still looking at sites downtown and is in negotiations with a private landowner,” said Novawest spokesman said.
He declined to give any other information about the site.

A Danish architectural firm designed the tower as an open-air pinwheel with observation decks, restaurant and stores, and special event space. It has been touted as a tourist attraction akin to Seattle’s Space Needle and Toronto’s CN Tower.

It also could be an attraction for conventioneers and other downtown visitors.
Tower promoters hoped to get the structure built and opened before next year’s Super Bowl in Glendale. Downtown Phoenix is hosting a number of events for the big game.

The Phoenix tower would be approximately 39 stories. The Chase Tower, at 40 stories, is the tallest building in Phoenix.

turpentyne May 16, 2014 11:13 PM

wait... this tower would be shorter than the Chase tower???

lame. I like that they want to do this.. but really? At least try to eke out another 70 feet so it's the tallest.

PHX31 May 17, 2014 3:48 AM

Hilarious to think they think they want to open it before the super bowl. On a more likely note, anyone been by the hotel Monroe site? Any work being done? I really hope that one is open before the super bowl.

poconoboy61 May 17, 2014 6:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHX31 (Post 6581657)
Hilarious to think they think they want to open it before the super bowl. On a more likely note, anyone been by the hotel Monroe site? Any work being done? I really hope that one is open before the super bowl.

I think the article was referring to the target opening date under their old plans, not these supposed new ones.

No, there is no movement with the Hotel Monroe. The building looks the same as it has and there is no signs that anyone has touched the building any time recently. I highly doubt it will be open prior to the Super Bowl. I would be extremely concerned about the quality if it somehow opened to the public by then.

Quote:

Originally Posted by turpentyne (Post 6581427)
wait... this tower would be shorter than the Chase tower???

lame. I like that they want to do this.. but really? At least try to eke out another 70 feet so it's the tallest.

Yes, that's part of the reason why there was so much opposition to the structure. Who wants to pay to go into an observation deck downtown that can't even clear the buildings surrounding it? I highly doubt that the public is pining for views of the upper floor of the Chase Tower. The developer did mention that there was a possibility of additional height after it was clear that the old site wasn't going to pan out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ASUSunDevil (Post 6581413)
Developers look to revive Phoenix Observation Tower project

Mike Sunnucks
Senior Reporter
Phoenix Business Journal
May 16, 2014

The proposed 420-foot pinwheeling Phoenix Observation Tower may have a second chance at life.

Novawest LLC, the development firm proposing the tourism attraction, is talking to a private landowner in Phoenix about the tower project. This comes after a plan to locate the tower next to the Arizona Science Center in downtown Phoenix fell through earlier this year.

“The Observation Tower is still looking at sites downtown and is in negotiations with a private landowner,” said Novawest spokesman said.
He declined to give any other information about the site.

A Danish architectural firm designed the tower as an open-air pinwheel with observation decks, restaurant and stores, and special event space. It has been touted as a tourist attraction akin to Seattle’s Space Needle and Toronto’s CN Tower.

It also could be an attraction for conventioneers and other downtown visitors.
Tower promoters hoped to get the structure built and opened before next year’s Super Bowl in Glendale. Downtown Phoenix is hosting a number of events for the big game.

The Phoenix tower would be approximately 39 stories. The Chase Tower, at 40 stories, is the tallest building in Phoenix.

I am very interested in knowing how recent the information provided in the article is. The Arizona Republic has no hesitation publishing an article earlier this year about the developer looking for new sites for the structure when, in fact, the proposal was already dead. Phoenix media is not professional and I trust little about what they say.

PHXFlyer11 May 17, 2014 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poconoboy61 (Post 6581761)
I am very interested in knowing how recent the information provided in the article is. The Arizona Republic has no hesitation publishing an article earlier this year about the developer looking for new sites for the structure when, in fact, the proposal was already dead. Phoenix media is not professional and I trust little about what they say.

Yeah... I think I know how this cam to be... There was another article about some other project, Mod, that they wrote about the other day in the Business Journal. That project's owner is this Novawest guy. They mentioned he was the one proposing the tower. That was about it. They basically just asked him one question about the tower and turned it into some sort of breaking news, which is complete garbage. I'm with ya. This is not news.

Buckeye Native 001 May 17, 2014 4:36 PM

Quote:

Sorry, I should've been more clear that I was referring to Central Phoenix and not the entire city. I have high (perhaps unrealistic) hopes for Downtown Phoenix based on what I've been seeing posted in these threads lately and from my last several visits there whenever I come down from Flagstaff.

Neighborhoods like Happy Valley and Ahwatukee are not going to change and have no hope of changing (and for the record, I went to high school in Ahwatukee, I couldn't wait to get out).

Sepstein May 17, 2014 7:30 PM

Anyone know if central building has been demolished yet along with the old apartments to make way for the Union and new Hotel?

combusean May 17, 2014 10:31 PM

The apartments are gone for Union, I'm pretty sure we would've heard about the Central Building's demolition.

HooverDam May 19, 2014 10:17 PM

Quote:

. A good start might be along S. Central where the light rail might travel one day. I think the city could upzone areas along Central

Thats not a great idea, it would show we learned nothing from the mistake of letting skyscrapers creep up North Central avenue after WW2. Unless by upzone you just mean to something like 4 over 1 scale construction, that'd be fine. There's no demand for anything over 10 stories north of the I-10, so there certainly won't be that demand south of the railroad tracks any time soon.

Quote:

Originally Posted by combusean (Post 6582302)
The apartments are gone for Union, I'm pretty sure we would've heard about the Central Building's demolition.

Correct on both accounts. The mid century 2 story apartments are gone, making way for the Union. Luhrs Central still stands.

poconoboy61 May 20, 2014 6:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 6583987)
Thats not a great idea, it would show we learned nothing from the mistake of letting skyscrapers creep up North Central avenue after WW2. Unless by upzone you just mean to something like 4 over 1 scale construction, that'd be fine. There's no demand for anything over 10 stories north of the I-10, so there certainly won't be that demand south of the railroad tracks any time soon..

There's no demand anywhere in this city, yet there is a contingent of people screaming for higher density and building heights. I couldn't really care less. I have lived in cities with much more traditional urban forms and frankly there are tons of negatives. I was merely providing a hypothetical path for this type of development to take root in Phoenix. It's not going to happen either way, so it's really not even worth discussing further or debating.