SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

mhays Mar 24, 2020 5:29 PM

Washington and Oregon governors have established limited stay-at-home orders....specifically because too many people are idiots and/or selfish assholes.

The idiots and assholes are the kids that acted up and cancelled recess for everybody.

mrnyc Mar 24, 2020 5:37 PM

for a bit of humor in this — my spouse just searched delivery services in our neighborhood and it seems feminist academic camille paglia is giving advice.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/...psnfpqwkcu.png

JManc Mar 24, 2020 5:40 PM

All of Texas's major cities/ counties have now issued stay at home orders since the state itself won't do it.

subterranean Mar 24, 2020 5:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8872385)
for a bit of humor in this — my spouse just searched delivery services in our neighborhood and it seems feminist academic camille paglia is giving advice.

http://i1340.photobucket.com/albums/...psnfpqwkcu.png

I wonder if she still calls herself a feminist. I'm surprised she isn't tweeting about how many more men will die from CV than women given that most "essential services" are provided by men.

homebucket Mar 24, 2020 6:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8872371)
Washington and Oregon governors have established limited stay-at-home orders....specifically because too many people are idiots and/or selfish assholes.

The idiots and assholes are the kids that acted up and cancelled recess for everybody.

In California, anyone not following the orders are being fined anywhere between $400-$1000.

subterranean Mar 24, 2020 6:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 8872427)
In California, anyone not following the orders are being fined anywhere between $400-$1000.

In Oregon it is a misdemeanor. Proving your reason for traveling wasn't essential is another thing entirely.

chris08876 Mar 24, 2020 6:15 PM

We'll be back to business by Easter.

:runaway:

chris08876 Mar 24, 2020 6:17 PM

Quote:

Excellent. We all want this crap to be over, and the young thots and bros of America need to take this seriously, and help reduce the spread.

There is no discipline among Americans. If we all follow preventive guidelines, hopefully it will reduce this spread, and get some of us back to work.

Just in NJ, over the last 2 weeks, its like, some folks have no discipline. Until the lock down, clubs were open, and even after the shelter order, folks in the park, in large groups... I mean, common folks. Some of us want to get back to work.

sopas ej Mar 24, 2020 6:20 PM

Quote:

Is that a statewide thing? Because I read this on the welikela.com website, what the city of Santa Monica is doing:

"Anyone violating the orders may receive a $100 fine for the first violation, a $250 fine for the second violation, and a $500 fine for the third. You could also be fined if you’re a landlord who disobeys the temporary moratorium on residential and commercial evictions ($1000 per violation) or a nonessential business that refuses to close.

"Following the orders does not mean staying indoors at all times. Per the orders, you are still allowed to leave the house for necessities, such as purchasing groceries or picking up medications. You can also still go on walks, runs, and bike rides. What you can’t do is gather or form crowds. You must keep at least six feet between you and people outside your family or household."

Link: https://www.welikela.com/santa-monic...2BsgyGv0oXbajQ

chris08876 Mar 24, 2020 6:22 PM

I haven't left the house ever since Murphy put that order in place. Which was Saturday night. Got put on furlough Sunday night. Just been ordering stuff via online. I feel like I'm on house arrest, but thats the kind of discipline we need.

Yeah folks can go for walks or ride a bike, but social distancing is important.

In just a few days, few SSPians have been either laid off or not working. So the young thots, bimbos, and bros of America need to prescribe to the rules. And this goes for anybody. Sooner this bs is behind us, sooner we can get back to work and not have to hear about this bs.

iheartthed Mar 24, 2020 6:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8872440)
Just in NJ, over the last 2 weeks, its like, some folks have no discipline. Until the lock down, clubs were open, and even after the shelter order, folks in the park, in large groups... I mean, common folks. Some of us want to get back to work.

This is why I think the tip-toeing into it by some states was a mistake. It just prolonged the ordeal for the people who began complying early. Next, once the cases start to level off in the states that took it seriously in the beginning, we'll have to restrict access from the places that didn't. Like Florida.

chris08876 Mar 24, 2020 6:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8872450)
This is why I think the tip-toeing into it by some states was a mistake. It just prolonged the ordeal for the people who began complying early. Next, once the cases start to level off in the states that took it seriously in the beginning, we'll have to restrict access from the places that didn't. Like Florida.

Yeah I agree. NJ, NY are taking it seriously (California and Illinois I believe as well along with Washington). I mean just judging from the traffic patterns, its a step in the right direction.

Yeah I think they need to impose localized or regional restrictions on land access or even domestic air access.

Sad, but in this fucked up country that we live in, our "country" tends to be more in the actual "state", The country of NJ or the country of NY.

Sadly, unification is a foreign concept in this country.

But yeah, if NJ or NY or CT can do something like that, at least its a step in the right direction.

Pedestrian Mar 24, 2020 6:38 PM

Quote:

Let 'em take me to court and prove my activity wasn't "essential".

Heck, they aren't even prosecuting people who break your car window and steal $900 worth of anything from the back seat.

I consider this an empty threat.

homebucket Mar 24, 2020 6:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8872443)
Is that a statewide thing? Because I read this on the welikela.com website, what the city of Santa Monica is doing:

"Anyone violating the orders may receive a $100 fine for the first violation, a $250 fine for the second violation, and a $500 fine for the third. You could also be fined if you’re a landlord who disobeys the temporary moratorium on residential and commercial evictions ($1000 per violation) or a nonessential business that refuses to close.

"Following the orders does not mean staying indoors at all times. Per the orders, you are still allowed to leave the house for necessities, such as purchasing groceries or picking up medications. You can also still go on walks, runs, and bike rides. What you can’t do is gather or form crowds. You must keep at least six feet between you and people outside your family or household."

Link: https://www.welikela.com/santa-monic...2BsgyGv0oXbajQ

It may be different depending on the city or county, not sure. But around here, I have heard of multiple reports of people getting fined $400 for non-essential stuff like talking to your neighbor and not adhering to the 6 ft social distancing policy. Or carpooling with a non-household member.

Pedestrian Mar 24, 2020 6:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8872449)
been ordering stuff via online.

I am finding that the stuff most highly in demand is "in store only" if its available at all. I think this is unconscionable--it should be "online only". A lot of stuff should be "online only". They are trying to force people into stores so, while there, they'll make an impulse purchase or several.

Been looking all week for some Clorox or Lysol or even store brand "surface wipes" and nobody is selling them online.

Pedestrian Mar 24, 2020 6:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 8872479)
It may be different depending on the city or county, not sure. But around here, I have heard of multiple reports of people getting fined $400 for non-essential stuff like talking to your neighbor and not adhering to the 6 ft social distancing policy. Or carpooling with a non-household member.

In what municiplaity and where did you hear it? I am calling BS on any such thing without an authoritative source.

Here's why I'm so skeptical. Take the beaches and parks: Did Gov. Newsome send the state police to them to walk around handing out citations? They could have handed out a lot. No. He closed the parking lots, but no individual enforcement. That's the sort of thing that's happening.

mrnyc Mar 24, 2020 7:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8872415)
That isn't something to be proud of. The EU covers all of their citizens, or about 1.5x the population of the U.S.

all citizens in the usa could be covered if desired and all can receive care if needed.

also all eu citizens are fully covered by usa military, which is nothing for them to be proud of. :shrug:

chris08876 Mar 24, 2020 7:23 PM

Just an update: People flying to FL....

https://aws1.discourse-cdn.com/busin...cb319b593.jpeg

iheartthed Mar 24, 2020 7:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrnyc (Post 8872542)
all citizens in the usa could be covered if desired and all can receive care if needed.

That is probably not true. But even if it is true, why isn't there just a single national health care policy, instead of a confusing patchwork of policies that may not ensure that everyone is covered?

chris08876 Mar 24, 2020 7:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 8872484)
I am finding that the stuff most highly in demand is "in store only" if its available at all. I think this is unconscionable--it should be "online only". A lot of stuff should be "online only". They are trying to force people into stores so, while there, they'll make an impulse purchase or several.

Been looking all week for some Clorox or Lysol or even store brand "surface wipes" and nobody is selling them online.

Ebay has a lot of that stuff.

Try ebay for some of the harder items. Although be warned, you pay a premium.

For groceries, I use Shoprite, which is a local tri-state grocery store chain, and they do home delivery or you can pick it up in person. Just place the order online or via phone. Given the demand, there is a processing period, so in my case, you gotta do it in advance.