SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

TWAK Apr 9, 2021 7:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9243593)
Yeah, that shit is peak Karen. See a business not enforcing masks? just don't go in.

If the business across the street does it I see no Karen element to this. That's them fighting back in a dog-eat-dog world, against a place that might have an unfair business advantage.

craigs Apr 9, 2021 8:08 PM

There's a business in a redneck town south of me that won't admit or serve customers if they are wearing masks inside. They deserve to be visited by Karen.

10023 Apr 10, 2021 7:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9243636)
Being a Karen is reporting a person or business not complying with a mandate. People refusing to wear masks where required or encouraged are not Karens but simply assholes. Either way, Im not going confront that individual over their refusal to wear a masks and most businesses have adopted that policy as well.

I was in rural Texas at a gas station where no one including staff wore a mask, I walked out and drove 20-30 miles to the next one. Didn't feel need to report them. Darwin sorted that mess out.

I actively support businesses that have been reasonable about this stuff, and will go out of my way to avoid the ones that have been super strict about so-called Covid protocols.

Those businesses can have Pedestrian’s custom but not mine.

dimondpark Apr 10, 2021 8:27 AM

On a personal note, ever since I recovered from Covid-19 in September, lettuce tastes like someone sprayed it with perfume.

hauntedheadnc Apr 10, 2021 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dimondpark (Post 9244159)
On a personal note, ever since I recovered from Covid-19 in September, lettuce tastes like someone sprayed it with perfume.

After I recovered, everything sweet tasted uniformly like cotton candy. I eventually got a call from a nice lady at the state health department following up with recovered covid patients, who said I was the third person to tell her that bit of information that day.

Meanwhile, a vaccinated friend came down from Asheville last night to visit us and we went downtown, where I can report that with signs of the pandemic lifting, downtown Greenville was buzzing. Practically ass cheek to ass cheek with people, to the point that lots of people felt the need to go around outside masked. That's something you absolutely didn't see even in the depths of the pandemic.

the urban politician Apr 10, 2021 1:04 PM

Yes, people are out and about, hence Covid rates are rising. I think the panic we are hearing about this is a tad overblown. This is what you should expect.

Wear a mask and get a vaccine. Otherwise, disregard the fear-mongering. Your chance of dying is really really really really really really LOW. You’re more likely to run into an unhappy douchebag who wants to call the city on you because you aren’t complying with mandate X than to even have a fever, let alone die.

We have vaccinated over 50% of the 65 and older crowd here in Illinois, and that number is dated info so it’s probably quite a bit higher than that. Keep the vaccines going and put these fear-mongerers out of business :tup:

Camelback Apr 10, 2021 1:29 PM

Quote:

So what you're saying is, there's now a point in eating lettuce! If only Covid could change lettuce and make it nutritional.

sopas ej Apr 10, 2021 2:40 PM

Quote:

That's awful. That would gross me out.

I remember the first time I tried that British candy called Fry's Turkish Delight. To my disappointment, it tasted like chocolate-covered hand lotion.

Rosewater can taste good, if done right. Otherwise, it tastes like you're eating or drinking old lady perfume. I've had homemade Turkish delight (in Turkey hehe) and it tasted delicious. Rosewater ice cream tastes good too; there's a Persian ice cream place in Los Angeles that sells tasty rosewater ice cream.

sopas ej Apr 10, 2021 3:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 9244174)
After I recovered, everything sweet tasted uniformly like cotton candy.

Yuck. Even as a child, I hated cotton candy.

OK now I *KNOW* I don't wanna catch COVID. And now I'm REALLY looking forward to my 2nd shot.

iheartthed Apr 10, 2021 4:25 PM

I've seen too many Karens to count complaining about being forced to wear a mask. I have yet to see a Karen complaining to a business about lack of mask enforcement.

MolsonExport Apr 10, 2021 5:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9244353)
I've seen too many Karens to count complaining about being forced to wear a mask. I have yet to see a Karen complaining to a business about lack of mask enforcement.

It's always about "me" when it is about the Karens. Whether it is wanting to speak to the manager, or not wanting to do their part by wearing a fucking mask. Perhaps the mask fucks with their fugly hairstyle?

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...b47f7e1a163998

Can you imagine being married to a Karen? I would not wish that fate on my worst enemy.

iheartthed Apr 10, 2021 5:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MolsonExport (Post 9244386)
It's always about "me" when it is about the Karens. Whether it is wanting to speak to the manager, or not wanting to do their part by wearing a fucking mask.

Right. And "Karen behavior" is defined by making unreasonable complaints. Expecting people to wear a mask in indoor public spaces because of COVID is not unreasonable.

dktshb Apr 10, 2021 5:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9244401)
Right. And "Karen behavior" is defined by making unreasonable complaints. Expecting people to wear a mask in indoor public spaces because of COVID is not unreasonable.

Exactly. I don't report these businesses or confront the people though. Thinking about it throughout this pandemic traveling by car between LA SF and Tahoe and going to Utah, Wyoming and Colorado it was not often at all that I came across people violating mask mandates. There were a few but what is the point getting all upset about it.

Pedestrian Apr 10, 2021 6:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dktshb (Post 9244419)
Exactly. I don't report these businesses or confront the people though. Thinking about it throughout this pandemic traveling by car between LA SF and Tahoe and going to Utah, Wyoming and Colorado it was not often at all that I came across people violating mask mandates. There were a few but what is the point getting all upset about it.

When you can avoid them, there's little point. But especially in a smaller community, you can't always and then the point is to make the dangerous behavior stop the only way you can.

By the way--I move between SF and Tucson and there's a big difference. I rarely encounter anyone maskless inside in SF. In Tucson it's different. People are more stubborn, the government policy is much more vague. Having to be in line in a grocery store right next to someone who is not wearing a mask and not "distancing" is a real issue (and surprise, surprise: the times that's happened to me the maskless person was usually buying 3 bottles of cheap vodka and no food).

the urban politician Apr 10, 2021 6:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MolsonExport (Post 9244386)
It's always about "me" when it is about the Karens. Whether it is wanting to speak to the manager, or not wanting to do their part by wearing a fucking mask. Perhaps the mask fucks with their fugly hairstyle?

https://qph.fs.quoracdn.net/main-qim...b47f7e1a163998

Can you imagine being married to a Karen? I would not wish that fate on my worst enemy.

:haha:

dktshb Apr 10, 2021 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9244441)
When you can avoid them, there's little point. But especially in a smaller community, you can't always and then the point is to make the dangerous behavior stop the only way you can.

By the way--I move between SF and Tucson and there's a big difference. I rarely encounter anyone maskless inside in SF. In Tucson it's different. People are more stubborn, the government policy is much more vague. Having to be in line in a grocery store right next to someone who is not wearing a mask and not "distancing" is a real issue (and surprise, surprise: the times that's happened to me the maskless person was usually buying 3 bottles of cheap vodka and no food).

Yeah, I have been pretty fortunate. In the few instances I have come across maskless people it was just one or 2 individuals in a store and the encounters are so brief I realize my risk for exposure is minimal. Going to a grocery store where a large segment isn't wearing a mask would be another story altogether. The only time I was annoyed was in UT when the hotel staff at the front counter wasn't wearing a mask back in May 2020 and the smartass woman behind the counter asked if I was there to rob her because I was wearing a mask. I said: no, I am wearing a mask because I am not an idiot.

Camelback Apr 10, 2021 8:19 PM

I've only seen the Karen haircut in the Midwest, or on tourists.
Party in the front, business in the back, the opposite of a mullet.

jtown,man Apr 10, 2021 8:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9243365)
Smoking isn't banned because of the smell. It's banned for public health reasons associated with second hand smoke.

Which is over-blown. No one is going to get cancer from eating at a restaurant that allows smoking.

jtown,man Apr 10, 2021 8:36 PM

SO I got my last vaccine yesterday and today I woke up sick as shit.

My GOD this thing BETTER last longer than 6 months, I don't want to go through this again (probably sicker today than at any time in the last 5 years).

Pedestrian Apr 10, 2021 8:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 9244510)
Which is over-blown. No one is going to get cancer from eating at a restaurant that allows smoking.

Once again, you are posting out of your *ss and simply don't know what you are talking about.

Quote:

Since the 1964 Surgeon General’s Report, 2.5 million adults who were nonsmokers died because they breathed secondhand smoke.

There is no risk-free level of exposure to secondhand smoke.

Secondhand smoke causes numerous health problems in infants and children, including more frequent and severe asthma attacks, respiratory infections, ear infections, and sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS).

Smoking during pregnancy results in more than 1,000 infant deaths annually.
Some of the health conditions caused by secondhand smoke in adults include coronary heart disease, stroke, and lung cancer.

Health Consequences Causally Linked to Exposure to Secondhand Smoke

In children: Middle ear disease, respiratory symptoms, impaired lung function, Lower respiratory illness, sudden infant death syndrome. In Adults: Stroke, nasal irritation, lung cancer, coronary heart disease, reproductive effects in women; low birth weight

Exposure to secondhand smoke has immediate adverse effects on the cardiovascular system and can cause coronary heart disease and stroke.

Secondhand smoke causes nearly 34,000 premature deaths from heart disease each year in the United States among nonsmokers.

Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing heart disease by 25–30%.

Secondhand smoke increases the risk for stroke by 20−30%. Secondhand smoke exposure causes more than 8,000 deaths from stroke annually.

Breathing secondhand smoke can have immediate adverse effects on your blood and blood vessels, increasing the risk of having a heart attack.

Even brief exposure to secondhand smoke can damage the lining of blood vessels and cause your blood platelets to become stickier. These changes can cause a deadly heart attack.

People who already have heart disease are at especially high risk of suffering adverse effects from breathing secondhand smoke and should take special precautions to avoid even brief exposures.

Secondhand smoke causes lung cancer in adults who have never smoked.

Nonsmokers who are exposed to secondhand smoke at home or at work increase their risk of developing lung cancer by 20–30%.. Secondhand smoke causes more than 7,300 lung cancer deaths among U.S. nonsmokers each year.

Even brief secondhand smoke exposure can damage cells in ways that set the cancer process in motion.

As with active smoking, the longer the duration and the higher the level of exposure to secondhand smoke, the greater the risk of developing lung cancer.
https://www.cdc.gov/tobacco/data_sta...ects/index.htm

And all this is over and above the simple fact of how noxious tobacco smoke can be to a non-smoker (Note: I am a former smoker--I quit 40 years ago--and I'm convinced it bothers me more than it does even never-smokers).