SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Southwest (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=643)
-   -   Phoenix Development News (3) (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=173764)

glynnjamin Nov 26, 2009 5:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HooverDam (Post 4576628)
The host, this ignoramus named Taylor Hurst just ended up yelling and doing a (very shitty) monologue for about an hour and would shout down and swear at anyone trying to get a word in. I hope no one here has had the displeasure of meeting this guy, it was like watching a drunken frat boy Howard Stern wannabe try to emcee an event, it was just awful.

The douche is now banned from Local Breeze for life. Very nice. I may finally go there and eat.

HooverDam Nov 26, 2009 6:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by glynnjamin (Post 4578695)
The douche is now banned from Local Breeze for life. Very nice. I may finally go there and eat.

Hhaahah nice! Where did you hear this?

EDIT: Ah I see it was on Local Breeze's twitter now.

Kroney Dec 1, 2009 3:42 AM

Looks like the Gold Spot (on 3rd Ave & Roosevelt) landed the Pita Jungle. I noticed "Pita Jungle Coming Soon" signs posted in the windows.

glynnjamin Dec 1, 2009 2:23 PM

Ya, meant to chime in on that. Saw the signs yesterday and called over to the people on McDowell. The guy told me that "they pulled out at the last minute" and that he could "give me a good rate on their old spot" to which I asked "So what about the ACE Hardware?" which he responded "it is definitely still a go" in a desperate tone.

At least something is finally going in Gold Spot.

Vicelord John Dec 1, 2009 3:24 PM

I told you people in commercial real estate like to lie.

HX_Guy Dec 1, 2009 11:05 PM

Nobuo Fukuda may be headed for downtown Phoenix

by Howard Seftel - Dec. 1, 2009 01:57 PM
Republic restaurant
critic

Nobuo Fukuda, a James Beard Award-winner at now-shuttered Sea Saw in Scottsdale, is in negotiations with City of Phoenix Historic Preservation staff to turn the Teeter House in Heritage Square into a Japanese restaurant. It would be just a few steps away from Pizzeria Bianco, which is overseen by another James Beard Award-winner, Chris Bianco.
Follow DoThingsAZ on Twitter

Fukuda says that if all the details can be worked out - there are still some sticking points - he hopes to sign a lease by the end of the year. If all goes smoothly, he expects to open the doors to his yet-unnamed restaurant by early spring.

The move would be quite a boost for downtown Phoenix, which, even in the midst of the economic downturn, has been gathering significant restaurant momentum for the past couple of years.

Among the recent arrivals are the Pasta Bar, Sens, Hanny's, the Breadfruit, District, Turf Restaurant & Pub, Nine 05, Local Breeze and Moira Sushi. In addition, the mammoth new CityScape project has already signed on two Aaron May restaurants, a Sam Fox steakhouse and a second branch of Scottsdale's Breakfast Club.

SunDevil Dec 2, 2009 12:16 AM

Downtown, more like Dine-town... lol, am i right guys!?! http://www.evilbore.com/forum/Smileys/default/smug.gif

PhxMatt Dec 2, 2009 2:21 AM

According to the Phoenix Commerical Advisors website, the group listed as the leasing agents for the 7th Ave and McDowell Space... The building is to be divided into eight spaces, Smashburger is shown in the Middle facing McDowell...Ace is not shown at all. Surprisingly Chipoltle is shown where the Antique store currenlty is... The Site Plan is preliminary so who knows.

Check out the website www.phoenixcommercialadvisors.com

Update 12/02... Tonight I ran into a friend that rents space in the Antique store, apparently the sale of the building has not been completed and there has been an extention on the closing till May. She indicated the Antique store may be there until at least next summer, though she was speculating. The store itself was recently sold to a new owner.

CraftTeutonic Dec 2, 2009 5:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevil (Post 4586605)
Downtown, more like Dine-town... lol, am i right guys!?! http://www.evilbore.com/forum/Smileys/default/smug.gif

ur doinitwrong!

glynnjamin Dec 2, 2009 2:18 PM

Good find PhxMatt. I saw a layout like that one but some of the walls were removed for larger space. The one I saw didn't have any names, he just pointed and said what was going there. Maybe businesses pulled out? Maybe they found that they couldn't lease 4 4000sqft pieces in this market?

The really interesting thing is that I went in to that antique store last week and noticed it was very different. I talked to the lady and she said that she had just bought it. She gave absolutely no indication that she would be moving any time soon.

scottkag Dec 2, 2009 6:26 PM

Chipotle? Please be true!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhxMatt (Post 4586798)
According to the Phoenix Commerical Advisors website, the group listed as the leasing agents for the 7th Ave and McDowell Space... The building is to be divided into eight spaces, Smashburger is shown in the Middle facing McDowell...Ace is not shown at all. Surprisingly Chipoltle is shown where the Antique store currenlty is... The Site Plan is preliminary so who knows.

Check out the website www.phoenixcommercialadvisors.com

Vicelord John Dec 2, 2009 6:47 PM

hahahah chipotle

this is possibly the funniest thing I've ever seen!

http://www.videosift.com/video/South-Park-Chipotle-Away

glynnjamin Dec 2, 2009 7:22 PM

Cant even reference Chipotle without calling it "Chipotlaway"

TonyAnderson Dec 3, 2009 8:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SunDevil (Post 4586605)

Ok, that was funny. And what an amazing emoticon.

HX_Guy Dec 3, 2009 11:25 PM

Fucking ouch...

Not only do we not have a McDonalds in downtown, but now no Quiznos either. I can't imagine how a place at such a central downtown location could not stay in business...there are tens of thousands of people that work right there every day and go out to eat.

Quote:

Via Roma closes as downtown Phoenix takes another hit
Phoenix Business Journal - by Mike Sunnucks

The region’s rough economy is no more evident than at the corner of Central Avenue and Monroe Street in downtown Phoenix.

The latest restaurant concept at the Hotel San Carlos in downtown Phoenix has closed after only a couple of months in business.

Via Roma Ristorante opened in September but closed recently. The hotel did not renew a lease with the Silver Spoon sandwich shop this summer.

Hotel personnel confirmed the Italian restaurant has closed. The restaurant was owned by Antonio & Anna Magliozzi who own the Cafe Roma restaurant in Mesa. That restaurant remains open.

A telephone call and e-mail to Cafe Roma in Mesa was not immediately returned Thursday afternoon.

Seamus McCaffrey’s Irish Pub adjacent to the downtown hotel remains open.

The San Carlos was built in 1928. It sits at Central Avenue and Monroe Street and has had numerous restaurant incarnations over the years.

Business at the Central and Monroe intersection is also hurt by the stalled redevelopment of the Hotel Monroe. Developers had wanted to renovate the building into an art-deco hotel but the real estate bust and a financing demise stemming in part from the downfall of commercial lender Mortgages Ltd have stalled Hotel Monroe’s redevelopment.

The building sits vacant with pigeons making homes out of the buildings upper floors. The building is boarded up with signs that once promoted the redevelopment increasingly tattered.

Mortgages Ltd. CEO Scott Coles committed suicide in 2008 and the company filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Mortgages Ltd. emerged from Chapter 11 in July but some of the real estate projects it had financed including the Hotel Monroe and Centerpoint condominiums in Tempe are stalled by the economy and credit crunch.

Also in downtown Phoenix, the Quiznos franchise at Central and Adams Street has closed.

Restaurants face tough bottom lines and margins in normal economic times but they are being especially hit hard during the recession. Downtown Phoenix office vacancies are also on the rise and expensive condominiums in the downtown area face problems with falling values and sluggish demand for sales.

Vicelord John Dec 3, 2009 11:44 PM

http://www.azcentral.com/thingstodo/...itajungle.html

glynnjamin Dec 4, 2009 5:27 AM

that quiznos was locked out a couple years back. I remember the owners weren't paying their bills so all of their stuff got locked up inside and it sat, unused for months. I really think that was just an issue of poor management. That subway over there is one of the worst I've ever seen (no A/C) and they stay in business just fine (even though there are like 5 other Subways within a 5 minute walk).

As far as the Italian place - never heard anyone talk about going there, never saw anyone going there, never heard one thing about it other than on here. They didn't even try and market themselves. Serves them right. Someone should put a 24hr diner in there...it would do well.

gymratmanaz Dec 4, 2009 5:34 AM

I agree. Bad management, poor promotion, a poorly run place deserves to go. Good restaurants stay open for the most part. Look at all the successes. Most new restaurants fail, in good times. The good ones stay. And who is sad to see Quiznos go? I would rather a local place make it than a simple chain. Chains are Ok, but at least make it a good one, like Pita Jungle. Now that will succeed!!!

Leo the Dog Dec 4, 2009 4:23 PM

It could be a good thing that Quizno's closed. The DT area is over-saturated with sub-shops.

Leo the Dog Dec 4, 2009 4:50 PM

Check out this old picture of DT Phoenix from the intersection of 7th St./I-10 Freeway. The triangular landscaped area looks great compared to now.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/33688349?slide=3