SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

jtown,man Mar 27, 2020 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 8876156)
If my family received a $1200 check, which thankfully we don't need as we are both employed. it would go directly to a savings account to prepare in case of us losing our jobs. That money would do nothing for the economy.

Thankfully the government cut off giving this to families over something like incomes over $100k.

Yeah, I think a lot of people will do that. *Right now* me and my girlfriend have money and we're good, but the talk coming from her companies CEO isn't looking good. SO we will save the 2,400 dollar.

You better bet though, as soon as this is all over(whatever that looks like), as long as we both have money and jobs, we are going to pay it forward:

Invest in some stocks
Go out to eat a lot, picking smaller places
Go to bars(we hardly do it, but they are being destroyed right now)
Donate to a local charity

My political philosophy is keeping me from being excited about this money, I honestly don't need it. However, if my girlfriend loses her job, we will need it and more, so I am grateful to out political leaders(for once).

SteveD Mar 27, 2020 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8876325)
Yeah, I think a lot of people will do that. *Right now* me and my girlfriend have money and we're good, but the talk coming from her companies CEO isn't looking good. SO we will save the 2,400 dollar.

You better bet though, as soon as this is all over(whatever that looks like), as long as we both have money and jobs, we are going to pay it forward:

Invest in some stocks
Go out to eat a lot, picking smaller places
Go to bars(we hardly do it, but they are being destroyed right now)
Donate to a local charity

My political philosophy is keeping me from being excited about this money, I honestly don't need it. However, if my girlfriend loses her job, we will need it and more, so I am grateful to out political leaders(for once).

We've already spent about half of what we will get throwing $100 or $150 into a dozen or so of the gofundmes in our little neighborhood commercial node of bars and restaurants. We are both home all day so prior to this lockdown we'd go out to eat 5 or 6 nights a week.

Pedestrian Mar 27, 2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tdawg (Post 8876319)
Given the massive spread we’ve seen from Mardi Gras is anyone else waiting for the hammer to fall from the Spring Break crowds we saw along the Southeast coast?

Those crowds went back to a hundred different "homes" and probably created new foci of disease but it will take another week or so for those foci to become apparent I suspect and it will be hard to lay blame.

It would be interesting to plot cases in small college towns around the northeast and midwest and see if they stand out compared to the background of their mainly rural surroundings.

chris08876 Mar 27, 2020 10:43 PM

That Navy Hospital ship arrived in LA. The other Navy Ship should arrive sometime next week for NY.

chris08876 Mar 27, 2020 10:46 PM

Quote:

Given the massive spread we’ve seen from Mardi Gras is anyone else waiting for the hammer to fall from the Spring Break crowds we saw along the Southeast coast?

Given that folks from all over the U.S. go to that, the event began February 25, 2020 ... and lasts a few weeks normally, I hope they stopped that rubbish late February. Because given the incubation period, if folks were infected, they should of started to feel stuff around early or mid March. Possibly contributing to the spike in "X" cities across the nation.

iheartthed Mar 27, 2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

Florida's governor obviously tried to deflect criticism for not closing the beaches by implementing those quarantine orders for people traveling from New York.

Vlajos Mar 27, 2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 8876225)
We should be getting the full married couple amount. It will cover one month's mortgage, I suppose.

I own my own business and have an S Corp. My work is drying up. I'm not eligible for unemployement benefits. My only remedy would be to take out a small business loan and sink it into my company account. We can weather some number of months with me not getting retained for new assignments. I'm loathe to take on any new debt. I guess it's wait and see for me, for at least the next few months.

This is where stimulus should be going, not to employed people that make decent money. Putting money in a bank is not going to encourage a bank to lend and will do nothing for people that need support.

Pedestrian Mar 27, 2020 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8876339)
That Navy Hospital ship arrived in LA. The other Navy Ship should arrive sometime next week for NY.

This has me quite confused. They suggested it would take a week to sail from San Diego to LA. Of course it didn't.

Niether should it take a week to sail from Newport News (Norfolk) to New York. It should be doing at least 15 - 20 knots, 24 hours/day. I make that reaching New York in 2 days or so.

Addendum: Just checked and it leaves tomorrow, arrives Monday so 2 days was right on.

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0Wo53IZZDU

Pedestrian Mar 27, 2020 11:18 PM

USNS Mercy arriving in LA:

Video Link

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFZUFhcvV68

Inside these 2 ships: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0-7rMLji74

Note: How come the former/usual embedding process for Youtube isn't working these days?

Pedestrian Mar 27, 2020 11:27 PM

^^The plan seems to be to use these ships to treat patients without coronavirus so that regular shore hospitals can devote themselves entirely to coronavirus patients.

What I still haven't heard is who is going to staff the ships medically. In wartime, the Mercy would be staffed from the Naval Hospital San Diego medical staff, leaving that giant land hospital almost empty. During the Iraq invasion, the shoreside Naval Hospital was backfilled with reserve medical staff but that would pull reserve doctors and nurses from their civilian jobs . . . probably not a good idea right now.

Similarly, the USNS Comfort is staffed in wartime by medical professionals from the Naval Hospital Portsmouth who could be backfilled by the reserves although right now I can't imagine that happening.

subterranean Mar 27, 2020 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlajos (Post 8876156)
If my family received a $1200 check, which thankfully we don't need as we are both employed. it would go directly to a savings account to prepare in case of us losing our jobs. That money would do nothing for the economy.

Thankfully the government cut off giving this to families over something like incomes over $100k.

Most middle class households will remain unaffected, or very minorly. That is truth. And most families live to their means and hardly anybody has an emergency fund, let alone anything in savings. The average American is in a crapload of debt. They’ll pause their student loans for 6 months, pay debt with that, and use the $2400-3400 to buy shit they don’t need and go out to eat or take vacations that Instagram and Denmark tell them they deserve. Do you even live in this country, because it sounds like we’re in different Americas.

JManc Mar 27, 2020 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subterranean (Post 8876401)
Most middle class households will remain unaffected, or very minorly. That is truth. And most families live to their means and hardly anybody has an emergency fund, let alone anything in savings. The average American is in a crapload of debt. They’ll pause their student loans for 6 months, pay debt with that, and use the $2400-3400 to buy shit they don’t need and go out to eat or take vacations that Instagram and Denmark tell them they deserve. Do you even live in this country, because it sounds like we’re in different Americas.

Many middle class households will be affected...because of the very scenario you depicted. The middle class is up its eyes in student and consumer debt, cars and a house they really can't afford and all it takes is major economic hiccup to turn their lives upside down. They're lucky if they can borrow against a retirement account to ride this out otherwise they are fucked because this stimulus is barely enough to coverage a mortgage payment.

bnk Mar 27, 2020 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8875104)
As a result of the influenza pandemic of 1918, Los Angeles city leaders closed down much of the city for seven weeks. So how did Los Angeles, then a city of approximately 570,000 people, cope? The answer is remarkably similar to how we're dealing with COVID-19 today.

https://www.kcet.org/sites/kl/files/...d66d-eight.jpg
Pasadena, approximately 1919: Patients rest in hospital beds while nurses wearing breathing masks tend to them. This photo was likely taken in the isolation ward at Wilson High School during the 1918 and 1919 influenza epidemic. | Harold A. Parker/Huntington Digital Library

From KCET.org:

How Did L.A. Cope With the Influenza Pandemic of 1918?

Story by Hadley Meares

On December 3, 1918, Angelenos were in a euphoric mood. After seven weeks of a citywide shut-down, ordered in an attempt to stamp out the deadly Spanish Flu, the "influenza ban" had finally been lifted by city leaders.

….

[...]

Read the rest here...

Link: https://www.kcet.org/coronavirus-cov...1dZJmIvhcXXhJ8

"The girls in cooking now have an opportunity to use a home laboratory, the kitchen, for the preparation of meals, the dining room for the serving of meals, and the home magazines as reference books... A written statement from the home keeper as to number of meals prepared and served will be required... The girls in sewing and millinery will bring to the school the product of their work in remodeling hats, gowns and coats, either to be donated to the Red Cross or to be given as conservation garments... "

I miss the the good olde tyme dayswhen women used to know how to cook .
or even know how to sow a button back on anymore?
Are there anymore home economic classes anymore?

bnk Mar 27, 2020 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 8875161)
Well surprise, surprise. Now the US has more COVID-19 cases than Italy.

I see how that pleases you so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveD (Post 8875167)
Just sailed past China too. We're #1 We're #1!

It took about 3 months for the World to record the first 500K documented cases. I bet the next 500K will be about 2 weeks.

Morbid. Its like your rooting for the virus. At least I know what team you are on. The anti orange team.

bnk Mar 28, 2020 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crawford (Post 8875716)
The checks aren't even taxable. They're simply an attempt to get cash in people's hands and to initiate consumer spending.

Also, not all households are getting the checks. There are income cutoffs.

Yep and I'm not asking for any for myself or family. I'm gainfully employed and likely most of us here wouldn't even qualify based upon our income.

But for others I am sure it will come in handy.

The North One Mar 28, 2020 12:22 AM

New York bans nonessential construction amid coronavirus pandemic

Quote:

Gov. Andrew Cuomo has halted most construction statewide in response to the novel coronavirus pandemic sweeping New York, following outcry from workers and lawmakers when the industry was largely unaffected by a shut down of all nonessential businesses.

Under the new directive, most residential and commercial construction is suspended, the governor announced Friday. Some crucial work, including on infrastructure, hospitals, and affordable housing, along with emergency repairs, will be permitted.
https://ny.curbed.com/2020/3/27/2119...cuomo-covid-19

How the hell did it take them this long to finally ban non-essential construction? Most other states did this almost a week ago. Yeah let's keep construction of these empty billionaire piggy bank towers going! It's not like NYC is the epicenter of the crisis or anything.

sopas ej Mar 28, 2020 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnk (Post 8876420)
I see how that pleases you so.

What are you talking about? I was being sarcastic.

Because we all knew this would happen as more testing became available in the US, right?

sopas ej Mar 28, 2020 12:38 AM

https://scontent-lax3-1.xx.fbcdn.net...7a&oe=5EA43771

Vlajos Mar 28, 2020 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subterranean (Post 8876401)

What are you talking about? So the government should just send checks to the employed middle class all the time because they can't balance their books?

Crawford Mar 28, 2020 1:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuriandrade (Post 8876317)
Why haven’t it spread to Philadelphia area? Have they prepared some sort of contention or it’s about to catch them as well?

Give it a week. In a month, it will be in every corner of the U.S.