SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

JManc May 20, 2021 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIGSEGV (Post 9286811)
or it's convenient because you're going in between places where you need masks and it's annoying to take it on or off. Just like you don't always take off your jacket when you get on a bus...

I am talking about generally being outside, not popping in and out of businesses and even there I find most remove them when they leave one place and put back on to enter another one.

jd3189 May 20, 2021 9:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9286801)
Wearing a mask outside (for most situations) after you're vaccinated is not grounded in science; it's either a heightened irrational fear whipped up by media sensationalism or announcing you're not of a particular political persuasion.

Or you're being courteous to others who take this pandemic seriously. As someone involved in medicine and know folks with family vulnerable to COVID, I will wear a mask to prevent spreading the virus ( if I have it asymptomatically) and to help people psychologically. If I'm alone outside or with friends, I won't wear one, but I would have one handy just in case we encounter strangers.

Politics are the last thing I would think when it comes to something that's a public health issue. COVID could care less if someone's a Democrat or Republican.

isaidso May 20, 2021 9:50 PM

COVID has cut out certain activities like sporting events, museums, restaurants, etc. but it's no big deal. It's just changed the types of activities I engage in. It has put things in a holding pattern though. Making long term decisions is harder when so much is up in the air still.

JManc May 20, 2021 9:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd3189 (Post 9287040)
Or you're being courteous to others who take this pandemic seriously. As someone involved in medicine and know folks with family vulnerable to COVID, I will wear a mask to prevent spreading the virus ( if I have it asymptomatically) and to help people psychologically. If I'm alone outside or with friends, I won't wear one, but I would have one handy just in case we encounter strangers.

Politics are the last thing I would think when it comes to something that's a public health issue. COVID could care less if someone's a Democrat or Republican.

You're in medicine so expectations/ optics on your part are different than the general population who is not obligated to alter lifestyles to placate irrational fears...if they are vaccinated.

homebucket May 20, 2021 10:12 PM

Meanwhile, in SF. Zuck would be proud.

Quote:

Vivek Jain @VivekJainMD 3h

A truly momentous day at San Francisco General Hospital @ZSFGCare @UCSF @SFGHFoundation: for the first time since March 5, 2020, we have zero patients with #COVID19 in our hospital. A huge milestone in our battle against this pandemic.
https://twitter.com/VivekJainMD/stat...468525056?s=20

SIGSEGV May 20, 2021 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9286967)
I am talking about generally being outside, not popping in and out of businesses and even there I find most remove them when they leave one place and put back on to enter another one.

but most of the time you're outside is because you're walking in between places... obviously if you're just taking a stroll for the sake of it that's different.

the urban politician May 20, 2021 11:03 PM

So regarding the wearing of the mask after being vaccinated while outdoors....

It’s not that I have a problem with you wearing it.

It’s not that I think anybody has any right to stop you from wearing it.

It’s really just that....knowing the science (and most people don’t, they just use the word ‘science’ like a political buzzword) and being in healthcare and knowing the true harm..........

.....the people still insisting on masking in the above scenario are basically just sassy little whiny bitches at this point. I will be polite with them, probably never say a word to them, but...in my mind I will roll my eyes

iheartthed May 20, 2021 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9287156)
So regarding the wearing of the mask after being vaccinated while outdoors....

It’s not that I have a problem with you wearing it.

It’s not that I think anybody has any right to stop you from wearing it.

It’s really just that....knowing the science (and most people don’t, they just use the word ‘science’ like a political buzzword) and being in healthcare and knowing the true harm..........

.....the people still insisting on masking in the above scenario are basically just sassy little whiny bitches at this point. I will be polite with them, probably never say a word to them, but...in my mind I will roll my eyes

But you're assuming they're wearing a mask for a reason you disagree with. This is the part I don't get. If you saw me with a mask on, your assumption would be wrong. You'd be rolling your eyes because you're making an incorrect assumption instead of minding your own business.

the urban politician May 21, 2021 12:31 AM

^ I believe in purely rational thinking.

I am minding my own business. But I’m also a human being, so of course I chuckle to myself at the dumb shits who still are masking outdoors despite being vaccinated.

And how about that....after a year of wanting mandates that force people to shut down their businesses and alter their lives, now YOU are telling people “Mind your own BEESWAX”

iheartthed May 21, 2021 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9287247)
^ I believe in purely rational thinking.

I am minding my own business. But I’m also a human being, so of course I chuckle to myself at the dumb shits who still are masking outdoors despite being vaccinated.

And how about that....after a year of wanting mandates that force people to shut down their businesses and alter their lives, now YOU are telling people “Mind your own BEESWAX”

But you can't evaluate another person's reasoning if you don't understand it. You think person X is doing action A because of reason B. But person X is doing action A because of reason C. So you're chuckling because you think person X is doing it because of reason B, but in reality you just didn't understand why they're doing it. It's a classic assumption hazard scenario.

the urban politician May 21, 2021 1:37 AM

^ Person A isn’t doing it for any rational reason (which is all that I care about).

Hence they are by default doing it for something emotional, political, or something of that sort.

twister244 May 21, 2021 3:34 AM

I'm noticing things are quickly exploding here in Chicago. I had to try 10 restaurants tonight in the West Loop just to find an open spot I could grab some food and a drink or two.....

The amount of energy in the city is increasing day-over-day, and super amazing to see unfold. Maybe it's the weather, or maybe it's the pandemic ending, or maybe it's both.

Also noticing the amount of mask wearing I am seeing is going down a bit one day at a time.

10023 May 21, 2021 9:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9286818)
This must be a regional thing. I don't think many people in dense cities think about it that way at all.

I think they do. No one here has ever worn a mask outside, and even the people I know who wear them in New York are doing so just to not have to deal with some Karen shouting at them.

There has never been any actual public health benefit to wearing a mask outside in 95% of situations (only exceptions being when you are actually shoulder to shoulder with people on a train platform or something, but with social distancing it’s pointless). It has always been about virtue signalling. Look at me, I’m wearing my mask.

JManc May 21, 2021 2:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9286818)
This must be a regional thing. I don't think many people in dense cities think about it that way at all.

No. I think it's pretty universal here in the US. These are the same people who lamented those refusing to wear masks/ get vaccinated as ignoring the science but now they are doing the same by insisting they and everyone else should continue to wear them despite the CDC's new recommendations. It's political theater, not science.

iheartthed May 21, 2021 2:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9287477)
I think they do. No one here has ever worn a mask outside, and even the people I know who wear them in New York are doing so just to not have to deal with some Karen shouting at them.

There has never been any actual public health benefit to wearing a mask outside in 95% of situations (only exceptions being when you are actually shoulder to shoulder with people on a train platform or something, but with social distancing it’s pointless). It has always been about virtue signalling. Look at me, I’m wearing my mask.

I've been in New York for the entirety of the pandemic. I have never seen a single person make issue out of someone not wearing a mask outside.

TWAK May 21, 2021 4:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9287629)
I've been in New York for the entirety of the pandemic. I have never seen a single person make issue out of someone not wearing a mask outside.

I still don't get it, this entire time the anti-maskers wanted the personal choice to not wear it and to have this choice in general. Now that they do have this choice (if vaccinated) they are furious at those making the choice to still wear it (without knowing why). They finally got one of the things that they wanted and they are angry at people for acting on it. WTF
Quote:

Originally Posted by JManc (Post 9287628)
No. I think it's pretty universal here in the US. These are the same people who lamented those refusing to wear masks/ get vaccinated as ignoring the science but now they are doing the same by insisting they and everyone else should continue to wear them despite the CDC's new recommendations. It's political theater, not science.

These people only followed the science the day after the CDC said it was, since they confirm the science for the American population. They were anti-science when they didn't like the CDC's guidance, essentially.

10023 May 21, 2021 4:25 PM

^ No one is complaining about anyone wearing masks by choice. I’m complaining about people who think they have the right to tell another person that they should be wearing one, especially outside. But personally I have no problem telling an old lady to go fuck herself in that scenario.

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9287629)

And I’ve had a friend tell me they were scolded by some middle aged woman (i.e., Karen) for running without one in Prospect Park.

TWAK May 21, 2021 4:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9287799)
And I’ve had a friend tell me they were scolded by some middle aged woman (i.e., Karen) for running without one in Prospect Park.

Did they yell back or be a chump and take it? Do they look like an anti-vaxxer? If they look like an anti-vaxxer it's acceptable, same as it's acceptable for you to yell at people for wearing a mask.

dktshb May 21, 2021 4:44 PM

Quote:

^ No one is complaining about anyone wearing masks by choice. I’m complaining about people who think they have the right to tell another person that they should be wearing one, especially outside. But personally I have no problem telling an old lady to go fuck herself in that scenario.

What are you talking about? Plenty of comments even on this thread (just go back a page and look at Urban Politician) complaining about people choosing to wear a mask. Who really gives a shit. I cannot believe all this anger about having to wear a mask, anger about people not wearing a mask and anger about people wearing a mask. Really? And that is pretty brazen of this "karen" if anybody approached me about wearing or not wearing a mask outside they're going to be sorry. If a mask is required indoors I will wear it and if not I won't.

iheartthed May 21, 2021 4:55 PM

Quote:

Yeah, I don't buy it. I was just in Prospect Park this morning and saw maybe two or three masks out of hundreds of people there exercising.