SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

bnk May 14, 2021 2:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9279671)
I went to Kuma’s Corner in Vernon Hills to pick up their delicious burgers.

I entered and removed my mask.

Plain and simple. God bless science

That’s how Its going to have to happen

pip May 14, 2021 2:55 AM

Quote:

You wore a mask outside and removed it when you got inside. Hmmmm....

Pedestrian May 14, 2021 7:09 AM

Quote:

I'm just not ready to join an indoor crowd at a popular restaurant yet but today I had a very pleasant lunch in the "parklet" (outdoor curb lane dining structure) of a great new San Francisco place: Dumpling Home.

There was a non-distanced line of maybe 6 people at the counter ordering their superb dumplings to go and it looked like maybe ⅔ of the indoor tables were occupied (and they didn't seem that far apart).

Meanwhile, my companion and I had a really excellent totally mask-free lunch al fresco of xiao long bao, dandan noodles, cucumber salad and pork bao.

The place is a gem and I'm glad business was so good.

Pedestrian May 14, 2021 7:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnk (Post 9279689)
It’s not politics it’s science

It's also bedside manner and the comfort zone of the patient and if that patient were me, I might ask them to put on a mask (just to remind them whose room they were in). I realize it's something the average patient probably wouldn't do but I would and I think they should recognize that mask wearing these days is like many things: I'd enter the room wearing a mask and ask the patient if they minded my taking it off in the interest of better communication.

But some doctors, especially the "top money making surgeons" are arrogant.

10023 May 14, 2021 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9279620)
Not directly but indirectly they do. Many local governments and their health departments take their direction from the CDC pretty faithfully.

The issue is as fine-grained as that the amenities such as the gym in my condo building are all closed because the San Francisco Dept of Health says to open they would need to have a full time staff member monitoring mask use and in that they are following CDC guidance on indoor masks. If the CDC guidance changes, the Health Dept. policy will probably change and my gym bunny neighbors may finally get to work out and stop whining (I know you understand about that).

Not being able to use the gym for a year is a much bigger health risk to most people under 40 than Covid.

suburbanite May 14, 2021 1:02 PM

None of us are going to die sooner from not being able to lift weights. Anyone who didn't care about Covid enough to go to a gym also won't mind running or biking outside during lockdown. I'm 6'5" and avoid running to save my knees, but my cardio's in as good a shape as it's ever been. Covid was more of a burden on my wallet as I went in 50% on a Peloton with my parents while I've been staying at their place for large swaths of time over the last year.

I miss the lap pool at my condo though.

hauntedheadnc May 14, 2021 1:05 PM

All I know is that seeing how we handled this pandemic, the next time some swine flu mutates on a pig farm in Arkansas and starts spreading with a 50% fatality rate or some such, we're all fucking doomed.

the urban politician May 14, 2021 1:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip (Post 9279724)

I had to scope the vibe out first. There were many other maskless there so I took it off

the urban politician May 14, 2021 1:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pedestrian (Post 9279843)
It's also bedside manner and the comfort zone of the patient and if that patient were me, I might ask them to put on a mask (just to remind them whose room they were in). I realize it's something the average patient probably wouldn't do but I would and I think they should recognize that mask wearing these days is like many things: I'd enter the room wearing a mask and ask the patient if they minded my taking it off in the interest of better communication.

But some doctors, especially the "top money making surgeons" are arrogant.

But most patients aren’t Howard Hughes like you are, so...

10023 May 14, 2021 1:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 9279919)
All I know is that seeing how we handled this pandemic, the next time some swine flu mutates on a pig farm in Arkansas and starts spreading with a 50% fatality rate or some such, we're all fucking doomed.

No because such a deadly virus would quickly extinguish itself. There would just be a town with a bunch of dead people in Arkansas.

10023 May 14, 2021 1:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suburbanite (Post 9279915)
None of us are going to die sooner from not being able to lift weights. Anyone who didn't care about Covid enough to go to a gym also won't mind running or biking outside during lockdown. I'm 6'5" and avoid running to save my knees, but my cardio's in as good a shape as it's ever been. Covid was more of a burden on my wallet as I went in 50% on a Peloton with my parents while I've been staying at their place for large swaths of time over the last year.

I miss the lap pool at my condo though.

Obesity is a far bigger killer than Covid. We’ve got pretty shitty weather here half the year, so closing gyms would have certainly had adverse health consequences for many people.

the urban politician May 14, 2021 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9279979)
Obesity is a far bigger killer than Covid. We’ve got pretty shitty weather here half the year, so closing gyms would have certainly had adverse health consequences for many people.

Not having a gym is not an excuse to be fat.

Most of weight control involves diet. Exercise helps, but diet is WAY more important.

iheartthed May 14, 2021 2:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip (Post 9279724)

Same thought, lol.

iheartthed May 14, 2021 3:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hauntedheadnc (Post 9279919)

We're definitely going to need a Corona Commission after this, similar to what happened after 9/11.

homebucket May 14, 2021 3:20 PM

An interesting case study of the Bronx Bombers.

Quote:

How surprising are the vaccinated Yankees’ COVID-19 cases? Experts explain the implications

A coronavirus outbreak among vaccinated players and staff has “rocked” the New York Yankees and attracted the attention of the CDC this week. So far, eight people, including shortstop Gleyber Torres, have tested positive more than 14 days after being fully vaccinated.

Because the team has a high level of vaccinated personnel, the Yankees have not missed any games while weathering this outbreak, and seven of the eight cases have been asymptomatic. Still, the accidental case study of post-vaccine positives could have implications for the remainder of the baseball season as well as the broader public.

Immunology and virology experts who spoke to Yahoo Sports on Thursday were not terribly surprised that fully vaccinated people were testing positive, particularly considering all the Yankees' affected personnel got the Johnson & Johnson vaccine. But they identified important questions for fully understanding the implications of the outbreak.

With cases and hospitalizations declining, it’s clear that vaccinations are working. But herd immunity remains far off, if it will ever be accessible. In the meantime, “A lot of little exposures can lead to a breakthrough,” Neuman said.

How a single breakthrough led to eight cases among a highly vaccinated population, however, is at the crux of a public health issue.

For most people relying on vaccines to protect them from COVID-19 illness, hospitalization and death, the J&J is a perfectly viable option. In fact, as of Friday, the CDC will update its categorization to only count fully vaccinated patients who test positive for COVID as “breakthrough” cases if they’re hospitalized or die, which means the current Yankees cases wouldn’t even be tallied.

https://sports.yahoo.com/how-surpris...rc=fp_deeplink

the urban politician May 14, 2021 3:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 9280064)
We're definitely going to need a Corona Commission after this, similar to what happened after 9/11.

I think America needs a well thought out pandemic protocol, yes, which I've stated before.

But the focus should be on stopping the spread of disease AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE. We cannot have another year like this again, I swear I will jump off of a bridge.

If we have decided that it's ok for Government to tear up the Constitution and throw it away every time they declare an emergency, then my proposal is to do so with minimal impact. And the best way to accomplish that is enforced quarantine of early cases. Yes, it probably is unconstitutional to do that, but to hell with it--we've already crossed that threshold.

So next time around, gather up the earliest cases and force them to live in some warehouse for 2 weeks. Treat them humanely, of course.

I think that's the best way to go.

kool maudit May 14, 2021 3:55 PM

Being into COVID is starting to become noticeably "non-Swedish". English and Irish expats will talk at length of caseloads and vaccines, but not Swedes. This is at nearly 5,000 cases/day in a population of 10 million, which is a bit surprising for a Canadian.

The campaign just didn't pierce the membrane here, it seems. It's at a kind of perma-"oh there's something going around" status.

10023 May 14, 2021 5:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kool maudit (Post 9280136)
Being into COVID is starting to become noticeably "non-Swedish". English and Irish expats will talk at length of caseloads and vaccines, but not Swedes. This is at nearly 5,000 cases/day in a population of 10 million, which is a bit surprising for a Canadian.

The campaign just didn't pierce the membrane here, it seems. It's at a kind of perma-"oh there's something going around" status.

This sounds like a good thing.

10023 May 14, 2021 5:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9280094)
So next time around, gather up the earliest cases and force them to live in some warehouse for 2 weeks. Treat them humanely, of course.

I think that's the best way to go.

And if it does break out, just accept that it’s out instead of pretending we’re in some Matt Damon disaster movie. It’s going to kill who it’s going to kill. A quick conflagration would have been preferable to this slow burn.

Pedestrian May 14, 2021 5:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9279929)
But most patients aren’t Howard Hughes like you are, so...

My understanding of infectious disease doesn't have much to do with this issue. My recognition that doctors aren't gods and that they owe their patients respect for the patients' comfort--mental and physical--is. When doctor and patient interact, its the patient's comfort zone that should be respected whenever possible. If you don't recognize that, you are a problem for the profession.