SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

JManc May 11, 2021 3:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 9276274)
1 per 100,000 (0.001%) is ‘zero’ for all practical purposes.

It's not zero though as that would be an absolute. It's negligible. A vaccine manufacturer could not say 0% of side effects if there was a .0001% but I do see your point.

the urban politician May 11, 2021 3:59 PM

Of 1.22 million cases of COVID, 178 died according to data analysis by the CDC of children aged 0-17, see the top table in this link:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/...e1.htm#F1_down

twister244 May 11, 2021 4:36 PM

It's interesting transitioning from Denver to Chicago this past week. In Denver, you could tell things were beginning to slowly open up. A few people would wear a mask outside, but most people didn't. Here in Chicago, so. many. people.... wear masks outside, which makes me cringe, but whatever. I suspect in a couple weeks, Chicago will be where Denver was when I left.

On the other hand, when I stopped at a gas station in western KS, very few people were wearing masks inside the grocery store.

So weird to see the different phases just across state lines.

xzmattzx May 11, 2021 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twister244 (Post 9276397)
It's interesting transitioning from Denver to Chicago this past week. In Denver, you could tell things were beginning to slowly open up. A few people would wear a mask outside, but most people didn't. Here in Chicago, so. many. people.... wear masks outside, which makes me cringe, but whatever. I suspect in a couple weeks, Chicago will be where Denver was when I left.

On the other hand, when I stopped at a gas station in western KS, very few people were wearing masks inside the grocery store.

I was in the Front Range Corridor last July (Longmont, Fort Collins, Greeley, Estes Park), and businesses were open, and very few people wore masks outside. Masks were universal inside.

TWAK May 11, 2021 5:38 PM

Quote:

It's the American way, and if you want to have an anti-vaxx party you can drive to a state that has one. If you wanna get-down on some masks or experience what it's like to live under totalitarian rule, you can visit a lockdown state (like CA!).

edale May 11, 2021 5:39 PM

Quote:

Most people are still wearing masks outside in my neighborhood in Los Angeles, too. It does somewhat annoy me, especially since vaccination rates are so high here, but it's ultimately people's choice to make for themselves. As long as no one says anything to me about not wearing one outside (and nobody has), then I don't really care what people choose to do. But it does amuse me to see masked people walking alone outside in a neighborhood full of those "in this house we believe science is REAL" :haha:

TWAK May 11, 2021 5:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 9276565)
Most people are still wearing masks outside in my neighborhood in Los Angeles, too. It does somewhat annoy me, especially since vaccination rates are so high here, but it's ultimately people's choice to make for themselves. As long as no one says anything to me about not wearing one outside (and nobody has), then I don't really care what people choose to do. But it does amuse me to see masked people walking alone outside in a neighborhood full of those "in this house we believe science is REAL" :haha:

On the flipside of it, it's amusing that people who hate science and have always railed against it suddenly get to accuse people of being anti-science. It's clever though, lol, since they more than likely have kids in science classes and took some when they went to college. Like myself, I was called anti-science (first time ever!) even though I have a minor in Geography :shrug:.
The right thing to do is for people to think whatever they want about each other, but don't say it out loud in public. :yes:

Camelback May 11, 2021 5:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9276311)
Of 1.22 million cases of COVID, 178 died according to data analysis by the CDC of children aged 0-17, see the top table in this link:

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/...e1.htm#F1_down

Of those 178 that passed, how many died from Covid alone?

sopas ej May 11, 2021 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edale (Post 9276565)

In my neighborhood, walking around, you still more people wearing masks outside than not, but it doesn't faze me. I'm so used to them now. My partner and I tend to wear them under our chins when out walking in our 'hood, because we're often walking to a restaurant or to the market, and it's less of a hassle to just pull the mask up over your nose once we get to our destination instead of digging through your pocket to get the mask out and putting it on.

Camelback May 11, 2021 5:59 PM

Quote:

All that mask wearing is based on faulty "science" used by the CDC and then the media latched on and ran with it.

Quote:

When the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention released new guidelines last month for mask wearing, it announced that “less than 10 percent” of Covid-19 transmission was occurring outdoors. Media organizations repeated the statistic, and it quickly became a standard description of the frequency of outdoor transmission.

But the number is almost certainly misleading.

It appears to be based partly on a misclassification of some Covid transmission that actually took place in enclosed spaces (as I explain below). An even bigger issue is the extreme caution of C.D.C. officials, who picked a benchmark — 10 percent — so high that nobody could reasonably dispute it.

That benchmark “seems to be a huge exaggeration,” as Dr. Muge Cevik, a virologist at the University of St. Andrews, said. In truth, the share of transmission that has occurred outdoors seems to be below 1 percent and may be below 0.1 percent, multiple epidemiologists told me. The rare outdoor transmission that has happened almost all seems to have involved crowded places or close conversation.
https://messaging-custom-newsletters...08c3122f8093b6

pip May 11, 2021 6:43 PM

Chicago can be crowded for the outside thing. East Lakeview where I live on the corner of Broadway is crowded. I don't wear a mask anymore outside mostly but seriously what is it with people getting so worked up about people wearing masks. Is this a psychological thing? It makes no sense. So what if people are wearing masks, we all have our own comfort level and it isn't all the same. And what is this tons of masks posts anyway? We all get your point by now, you don't like it. No matter how much you post here it won't change anything.

the urban politician May 11, 2021 6:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip (Post 9276704)
Chicago can be crowded for the outside thing. East Lakeview where I live on the corner of Broadway is crowded. I don't wear a mask anymore outside mostly but seriously what is it with people getting so worked up about people wearing masks. Is this a psychological thing? It makes no sense. So what if people are wearing masks, we all have our own comfort level and it isn't all the same. And what is this tons of masks posts anyway? We all get your point by now, you don't like it. No matter how much you post here it won't change anything.

^ I for sure could care less if people want to wear masks outdoors--it's their choice to look like fools.

All I care about is that I don't have any rational/scientific based reason to wear them, so that's why I stopped. Plus, I have to wear those damned things EVERY DAY at my job, and have been doing so for 14 months. They are stifling and I hate them now. They don't have the "cool" or "novelty" factor any more like they do for those people who've been staying home all day and only go out once in a while

TWAK May 11, 2021 6:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip (Post 9276704)

That's a lot of people to get angry at for no reason, and there are so many people in an urban area there's no way to know WHY they are doing it. Oh and the people who don't like the mask now, they never liked it and never wanted it lol. Complaining since day one and still going at it.

pip May 11, 2021 6:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9276713)
^ I for sure could care less if people want to wear masks outdoors--it's their choice to look like fools.

All I care about is that I don't have any rational/scientific based reason to wear them, so that's why I stopped. Plus, I have to wear those damned things EVERY DAY at my job, and have been doing so for 14 months. They are stifling and I hate them now. They don't have the "cool" or "novelty" factor any more like they do for those people who've been staying home all day and only go out once in a while

Perfect case in point for what I meant and right on cue within a few seconds.

iheartthed May 11, 2021 7:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sopas ej (Post 9276601)
In my neighborhood, walking around, you still more people wearing masks outside than not, but it doesn't faze me. I'm so used to them now. My partner and I tend to wear them under our chins when out walking in our 'hood, because we're often walking to a restaurant or to the market, and it's less of a hassle to just pull the mask up over your nose once we get to our destination instead of digging through your pocket to get the mask out and putting it on.

In my neighborhood it's pretty mixed. I also don't think anybody considers it a political statement anymore to wear one, or not wear one, when outdoors. Earlier in the pandemic, however, it was a little different. Back then, the mask resistance was more skewed towards orthodox Jews, and Eastern European immigrant groups. But even then, the mask wearers weren't really shaming the ones without masks outside. Way more often the mask controversy seems to be coming from the mask resistance.

homebucket May 11, 2021 7:18 PM

Yeah I'm not sure why other people care so much if other people are still wearing masks outdoors. Do they also care if people wear socks with flip flops? Or wear shorts in the city?

What other people choose to wear doesn't affect you in any way. If you're fully vaccinated and are outdoors, feel free to unmask, but is your psyche really so fragile that your day will be ruined if someone that is wearing a mask gives you a funny look?

twister244 May 11, 2021 7:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by homebucket (Post 9276756)
If you're fully vaccinated or unvaccinated and are outdoors, feel free to unmask, but is your psyche really so fragile that your day will be ruined if someone that is wearing a mask gives you a funny look?

Fixed it for you.

In any case, most cities will at the same point in a month where everything fully opens up, if it hasn't already. Some areas are just further along on this process than others.

Pedestrian May 11, 2021 7:41 PM

If you haven't yet been vaccinated, are willing to and have a choice about which one to get, here's some actual information from a reliable source:

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...762228/enhance

https://uniim1.shutterfly.com/ng/ser...761973/enhance
Source: https://secure.medicalletter.org/dow...621g_table.pdf

Pedestrian May 11, 2021 7:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 9276257)
10023 does have a point. We should question the profit motives of companies who insist that the COVID vaccine will be a yearly shot. We don't know if that is the case. It may require a booster or two, but a yearly shot for the rest of our lives? I'm very skeptical of that

Agree with this. My guess is that the immunity from these shots lasts longer than the mass media and possibly the company publicity departments (although it strikes me that their motivations on this are mixed) are currently telling us. But the best reason we may need boosters next year is probably that we may start to see more break-through cases caused by variants and the more disease there is globally, with viral replication which is when variants arise, the more likely that is. If you look at the chart I posted above, we are already seeing "lower activity" against the B.1.351, P.1, B.1.526, and B.1.427/B.1.429 variants.

We may need a booster that is targeted specifically at these new variants in addition to the original virus that the present vaccines were designed for.

If, in a couple of years, we can get a significant proportion of the global population immunized, we should see fewer new variants and hence less likelihood of one or more variants that cause breakthrough disease and therefore less likelihood that the immunity we get from the vaccine is inadequate and a booster is required.

the urban politician May 11, 2021 8:14 PM

^ What's being missed from this conversation is whether variants (there are limits to how many variants even can exist to a virus, while still being a successful virus) even require a second vaccine in order to prevent the kind of catastrophe that we are seeing during the original outbreak.

Vaccinated people with even partial immunity to future variants are likely still protected from serious disease. I can see a booster being needed, but serial new shots to address the virus' ongoing mutation don't sound necessary to me.....unless you're trying to make lots of money.

Pretty soon this will be like the Flu shot--which basically sucks and doesn't work more than half the time, and most of the public never bothers to get the flu shot anyhow because they aren't worried about the flu. Covid will become that pretty quickly