SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   City Discussions (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   How Is Covid-19 Impacting Life in Your City? (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=242036)

xzmattzx May 14, 2020 4:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 8921834)
NYC Figures (As of time of this post):

Queens has 56,899 cases.
Brooklyn (Kings) has 50,079 cases.
Bronx has 41,746 cases.
Manhattan at 22,771 cases.
Richmond (Staten Island) at 12,733 cases (least dense borough).

Total of 27,477 deaths in the 5-boroughs AND NY State. 1/3 in Nursing homes.

21,845 being within 5-boroughs.

So 25% of all deaths, and 13% of all positive cases, in the US are within the New York city limits.

jtown,man May 14, 2020 7:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eschaton (Post 8921979)
This is such a false statement. Restaurant reservations dropped by around 90% before stay at home orders. Most major festivals, concerts, conferences, sporting events, etc canceled voluntarily as well. And the airline industry collapsed entirely on its own. We were going to see a major recession spurred by a collapse of the entertainment/travel/hospitality industry regardless of what actions state governments took in March/April.

Yes, because we were all terrified by something we had no clue about. I was scared, the vast majority of people were. Now we have hard data, we know who should and shouldn't be worried. So pre-corona data on restaurants are useless right now.

iheartthed May 14, 2020 8:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jtown,man (Post 8922317)
Yes, because we were all terrified by something we had no clue about. I was scared, the vast majority of people were. Now we have hard data, we know who should and shouldn't be worried. So pre-corona data on restaurants are useless right now.

We have data but there is still a lot we don't know. We don't have the complete picture at all. Nor do we really know how effective we're able to control the spread by means other than making people sit at home.

10023 May 14, 2020 9:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8922391)
We have data but there is still a lot we don't know. We don't have the complete picture at all. Nor do we really know how effective we're able to control the spread by means other than making people sit at home.

We still don’t know everything about lots of diseases. Should we all sit at home until we have a definitive answer to everything?

Pedestrian May 14, 2020 9:28 PM

Quote:

Berkeley Will Fully Close Its Streets to Create Giant Outdoor Dining Rooms
by Eve Batey May 14, 2020, 1:02pm PDT

Owners of the Bay Area’s restaurants agree on one thing: It’ll be damn near impossible to stay in business if their dining room capacity is cut. While California’s guidelines for restaurant reopening don’t specify a specific slash in capacity, they do require social distancing measures between patrons and workers, which means that to make enough money to remain afloat, restaurants need way more space to serve diners. In response, officials across the Bay Area have discussed taking over street space for restaurant use — and now, Berkeley has put that discussion into action, as today it introduced legislation to fully close many of the city’s streets, repurposing them as seating areas for the city’s vibrant restaurant scene.

Speaking with Eater SF, Berkeley Mayor Jesse Arreguín says that the plan was inspired by news coverage of the Lithuanian capital of Vilnius, which announced last month that it would turn its plazas, streets, and squares into “a vast open-air cafe” to allow its bars and restaurants to serve patrons during the coronavirus crisis.

Photos of Vilnius sparked a similar idea in San Jose, where last week Mayor Sam Liccardo and Councilwoman Dev Davis proposed “Al Fresco San Jose,” a program in which “businesses — particularly restaurants — could be allowed to take over parking lots, shut down parts of streets and siphon off areas of a public park for open-air services,” the San Jose Mercury News reports. Also last week, San Mateo’s city council “asked staff to come up with the specifics on a plan” to close two streets in the city for restaurant use, according to NBC Bay Area . . . .
https://sf.eater.com/2020/5/14/21258...treet-closures

suburbanite May 14, 2020 10:01 PM

I hope the Vilnius idea catches on. Most of us would have always been proponents for more street space to be used by pedestrians/businesses. Once people had a taste of a summer full of patios like that, they would be pushing for them every year.

iheartthed May 14, 2020 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8922433)
We still don’t know everything about lots of diseases. Should we all sit at home until we have a definitive answer to everything?

If you think this is tough you should read the history of what people in your city were forced to do during the last outbreak of the Plague there.

Handro May 14, 2020 11:10 PM

Quote:

Yea, anyone over 50, or obese, or with high blood pressure, or diabetes, or any other number of factors that include the majority of the American workforce not to mention our loved ones... and even if you are perfectly healthy, you can expect a week or two of debilitating illness. Of the two people I know personally, one was a 55 year old man who is now dead, the other was a healthy healthy 28 year old who was admitted to the hospital, delirious with fever and unable to breath. I’m 32 and healthy and still really, really don’t want to test the corona waters.

The people pushing for full reopening are either ignorant of the facts or disingenuous about the risks they are personally willing to take.

Kngkyle May 15, 2020 3:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8922549)
Yea, anyone over 50, or obese, or with high blood pressure, or diabetes, or any other number of factors that include the majority of the American workforce not to mention our loved ones... and even if you are perfectly healthy, you can expect a week or two of debilitating illness.

This is crazy talk not supported by any data. The data actually supports the exact opposite - millions more asymptomatic cases than symptomatic.

xzmattzx May 15, 2020 3:20 AM

Quote:

Yea, anyone over 50, or obese, or with high blood pressure, or diabetes, or any other number of factors that include the majority of the American workforce not to mention our loved ones... and even if you are perfectly healthy, you can expect a week or two of debilitating illness. Of the two people I know personally, one was a 55 year old man who is now dead, the other was a healthy healthy 28 year old who was admitted to the hospital, delirious with fever and unable to breath. I’m 32 and healthy and still really, really don’t want to test the corona waters.

The people pushing for full reopening are either ignorant of the facts or disingenuous about the risks they are personally willing to take.

I have once acquaintance that had it. He likely got it taking the train from Manhattan to his home in Long Island. He had 10 days of the worst flu he ever had. Despite trying to stay away from his family, he is sure his wife and all three kids got it. His wife had what we would consider a regular flu for about 4 days. His twins were mildly sick for two days, and his last kid has a light cough for a day.

I also know four people who showed symptoms of the coronavirus at different times in February. There obviously was no testing then, and there was no idea it was even in the US, and thus all four continued to go into work. One still has lung problems stemming from the mystery sickness in February. I also had something in February that completely sucked the energy out of me.

10023 May 15, 2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

The problem is that you’re going to have to at some point. You and I and everyone else here will have the choice of getting it, or staying locked down for 2 years.

Personally I’ll take a few days in bed chugging Emergen-C and ibuprofen, if it even comes to that, over the other option. That is if I haven’t had it already.

TWAK May 15, 2020 3:31 PM

Well I don't live in a city so things are a little different, and right now we are in phase two reopening. The county is working with the Governor to get things into phase three, as they are following the guidance provided by the Governor's office instead of violating his orders.

mhays May 15, 2020 4:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8922875)
The problem is that you’re going to have to at some point. You and I and everyone else here will have the choice of getting it, or staying locked down for 2 years.

You actually think this? The point of lockdowns is to get the numbers low enough that we can relax many restrictions fairly quickly...weeks in some places, months in others.

destroycreate May 15, 2020 7:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8923215)
You actually think this? The point of lockdowns is to get the numbers low enough that we can relax many restrictions fairly quickly...weeks in some places, months in others.

I'm admittedly getting impatient in CA. At first, it was about flattening the curve as to not overwhelm the hospitals which I supported. From what I can see, we've achieved that in California. The hospitals are nowhere near capacity. Now the narrative has shifted to having to achieve zero new infections in 14 days--in a state with nearly 40m residents--and saving all lives at the cost of shutting everything down and potentially putting everybody into poverty (which ironically will lead to thousands of deaths too). "Saving lives" seems to be conflated more and more with the hope of recording zero Coronavirus-related deaths. Sorry, but is that really even realistic?

I don't get it -- none of those measures will make the virus go away. As long as somebody on this planet has it, it's as contagious as it is, and there are no vaccines, we're going to deal with a constant risk of infection and unfortunately, fatalities. All we're doing at this point is prolonging the inevitable. The best we can do is mandate covered faces, wash our hands consistently, live as healthily as possible, reduce our social interactions, stay away from our elders, but try to live our lives. Require elders or immunocompromised to stay home, but allow restaurants/cafes to operate at reduced capacity etc. We need to accept this as our new normal. The current approach is way, way overboard.

eschaton May 15, 2020 8:37 PM

Quote:

Serology data from NYC suggests around 25% of the population has been infected. Including confirmed and probable deaths, close to a quarter of a percent of New Yorkers have died - meaning the death rate is really close to 1%.

sopas ej May 15, 2020 10:49 PM

Woo hoo! Some Pasadena car washes have reopened! I'm hoping Pasadena Hand Wash is one of them---I only take my car to hand wash places. The ones with the automated rotating brushes are too rough on your car's finish.

From ABC7:

https://abc7.com/6183540/?ex_cid=TA_...aVueYwxWPMBcaM

JManc May 15, 2020 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by destroycreate (Post 8923446)
I'm admittedly getting impatient in CA. At first, it was about flattening the curve as to not overwhelm the hospitals which I supported. From what I can see, we've achieved that in California. The hospitals are nowhere near capacity. Now the narrative has shifted to having to achieve zero new infections in 14 days--in a state with nearly 40m residents--and saving all lives at the cost of shutting everything down and potentially putting everybody into poverty (which ironically will lead to thousands of deaths too). "Saving lives" seems to be conflated more and more with the hope of recording zero Coronavirus-related deaths. Sorry, but is that really even realistic?

I don't get it -- none of those measures will make the virus go away. As long as somebody on this planet has it, it's as contagious as it is, and there are no vaccines, we're going to deal with a constant risk of infection and unfortunately, fatalities. All we're doing at this point is prolonging the inevitable. The best we can do is mandate covered faces, wash our hands consistently, live as healthily as possible, reduce our social interactions, stay away from our elders, but try to live our lives. Require elders or immunocompromised to stay home, but allow restaurants/cafes to operate at reduced capacity etc. We need to accept this as our new normal. The current approach is way, way overboard.

We have that here in Texas already and that will get old real fast. The 'new normal' will be an utter dystopia if it drags into years. I went into a first 'non essential' store (camera shop) since this all started a few months ago and was chastised for not having face covering on (was around my neck until I need it) and it reminded me that I'm good with sticking with online until the hysteria subsides. I get that for the time being we have to do what we have to do (social distancing and avoid extraneous activities) to minimize the virus but I think we're going to turn into a society of Howie Mandel's.

sopas ej May 15, 2020 11:56 PM

I really miss going to the library. Goddamned COVID-19!!!!

10023 May 16, 2020 7:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhays (Post 8923215)

And then the case numbers will go up and people will panic.

It’s either 2 years of at least “social distancing”, which would be horrible, or we allow the virus to spread through the population and create immunity.

You do this while limiting the burden on the healthcare system by reducing the number of people requiring hospitalisation, especially intensive care. And you do that by telling those more likely to be vulnerable (old people, the immune-compromised people and probably the obese) to stay away from public places for the sake of their own health. Others will get Covid, but symptoms (if any) are likely to be mild enough that they just rest at home and get over it.

I want no part of “relaxed” restrictions if that means 4 tables spaced 8 feet apart in a restaurant that usually seats 30, no bars or pubs, cultural institutions closing (potentially for good), no gym, no face to face meetings (which are necessary for my business to actually earn revenue), and no travel.

10023 May 16, 2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iheartthed (Post 8922521)
If you think this is tough you should read the history of what people in your city were forced to do during the last outbreak of the Plague there.

Pepys was still attending weddings and going to his favorite pubs.