SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   List of US+Canada rail transit currently under construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198794)

Lakelander Aug 17, 2015 5:08 PM

All Aboard Florida, the privately funded intercity rail project between Miami and Orlando, is under construction:

http://www.allaboardflorida.com/construction/updates

202_Cyclist Aug 24, 2015 4:13 PM

Blue line extension-- Sacramento

Sacramento's Blue line extension is opening today.

Blue Line starts regular service
"Sacramento Regional Transit’s long-awaited $270 million Blue Line light-rail extension to Cosumnes River College starts regular service. The Blue Line to the college will extend light rail 4.3 miles from the current terminus at Meadowview Road in south Sacramento, and will feature four new stations (Morrison Creek, Franklin, Center Parkway and Cosumnes River College). At 9 a.m., local officials will break a champagne bottle at the Meadowview station, and invited guests will ride the train south to the college. Rep. Doris Matsui, D-Sacramento; Therese McMillan, the acting administrator of the Federal Transit Administration; and others will speak."

http://www.sacbee.com/news/local/article31984308.html

Cirrus Aug 24, 2015 4:58 PM

The Mesa extension of Phoenix's light rail opened Saturday.

I'll move Mesa and Sacto to complete, and add All Aboard FL to the construction list.

Cirrus Aug 28, 2015 3:30 PM

New York's #7 train extension will open on September 13.

mrnyc Aug 28, 2015 5:30 PM

^ around 1pm if you want to catch the first rides

Cirrus Sep 12, 2015 2:55 PM

Portland's 7-mile Orange line light rail opens today at 11:00 am west coast time. I've moved that project to complete on the list.

http://trimet.org/max/img/max-simple-map.png

SkahHigh Sep 12, 2015 5:52 PM

Portland's transit system is one of the most underrated IMO.

Cirrus Sep 13, 2015 5:45 PM

New York's subway extension to Hudson Yards opened today, so I've moved that project from u/c to complete.

Kngkyle Sep 13, 2015 8:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 5664091)
Nothing: 0 miles total
  • Chicago

3 years later, this is still the case. :yuck:

colganc Sep 13, 2015 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkahHigh (Post 7161494)
Portland's transit system is one of the most underrated IMO.

In what ways is it underrated? Living in Portland, I have my biases and only hear good things about the system.

SkahHigh Sep 14, 2015 3:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colganc (Post 7162445)
In what ways is it underrated? Living in Portland, I have my biases and only hear good things about the system.

You never hear about Portland's transit system yet it is quite extensive and useful. I had a class where we studied TODs around MAX stations and I never knew that Portland's system was that developed.

Cirrus Sep 14, 2015 4:25 PM

Maybe it's different in Canada? In the US I'd say Portland's transit system is quite overrated. Everything Portland fills planning textbooks, and the urbanist blogosphere is constantly talking about it. It's probably the number 1 most discussed US city for streetcars, #2 for bikes, easily in the top 3 or 4 for light rail, and conceivably #1. You hear about it all the time. You never hear much about its buses though.

And while it's a good system that pushes lot of boundaries, and Portland is a lovely city, it's nowhere near on a par with bigger places. Last time I looked, it had lower per capita transit ridership than Seattle. Nevermind the real transit-oriented cities like SF or Chicago.

Actually, I think that's *why* you hear about it a lot in the US. It's easy for the Denvers and Indianapolises of the world to dismiss what happens in New York or DC as outside their realm of reality. But Portland is a peer, so transit people in those cities point to Portland especially as an attainable model.

Regardless, you hear about Portland transit all the time in the US.

SkahHigh Sep 15, 2015 1:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cirrus (Post 7163110)
Maybe it's different in Canada? In the US I'd say Portland's transit system is quite overrated. Everything Portland fills planning textbooks, and the urbanist blogosphere is constantly talking about it. It's probably the number 1 most discussed US city for streetcars, #2 for bikes, easily in the top 3 or 4 for light rail, and conceivably #1. You hear about it all the time. You never hear much about its buses though.

And while it's a good system that pushes lot of boundaries, and Portland is a lovely city, it's nowhere near on a par with bigger places. Last time I looked, it had lower per capita transit ridership than Seattle. Nevermind the real transit-oriented cities like SF or Chicago.

Actually, I think that's *why* you hear about it a lot in the US. It's easy for the Denvers and Indianapolises of the world to dismiss what happens in New York or DC as outside their realm of reality. But Portland is a peer, so transit people in those cities point to Portland especially as an attainable model.

Regardless, you hear about Portland transit all the time in the US.

We have a different view in Canada I guess. We always hear about NYC, Chicago, SF, DC, Boston regarding developed transit. The reality is, more and more US cities are building extensive transit systems as of late (Houston, Denver, Charlotte).

Mr Downtown Sep 28, 2015 1:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SkahHigh (Post 7164195)
more and more US cities are building extensive transit systems as of late (Houston, Denver, Charlotte).

Composed of expensive new lines all with less ridership than an average Canadian bus route.

fflint Sep 28, 2015 2:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 7179247)
Composed of expensive new lines all with less ridership than an average Canadian bus route.

Source?

SkahHigh Sep 28, 2015 2:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Downtown (Post 7179247)

Not entirely true, but not entirely false either.

One of Montreal's busiest bus routes (the 435 Express) has a daily ridership of 33,000, so I think it's safe to estimate the average bus route gets between 5,000 and 10,000 riders a day... Very few U.S systems get such low numbers overall but if you look at the ridership of some lines/routes individually it can be comparable.

Cirrus Sep 28, 2015 3:01 PM

That comment is factually wrong, is trolling for a "versus" debate, and adds nothing to the forum. This thread is for tracking new construction, not pointless attacks. Kindly keep it that way.

If someone wants to start a "Canadian bus ridership thread," feel free. Don't hijack this one with a pissing contest.

Cirrus Nov 16, 2015 3:38 AM

Haha. This is embarrassing. I left an extension from my own city off the list.

DC's VRE commuter rail opens a 6-mile extension south on Monday morning. It's the one at the bottom of this image (the one on the left is not under construction yet).

https://img.washingtonpost.com/rf/im...ION0419-v2.jpg

I'll add it to the "completed" list, I guess.

Those Who Squirm! Dec 7, 2015 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Busy Bee (Post 5664090)
Isn't Honolulu considered somewhere in between Heavy and Light Rail. I was under the impression is very comparable to the Vancouver SkyTrain.

This type of categorization is frequently difficult to pin down, and varies with the location. From looking at some Google images of the Skytrain, I'd say L.A.'s LRT routes are similar; in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they use some of the same rolling stock.

SkahHigh Dec 8, 2015 3:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Those Who Squirm (Post 7261308)
This type of categorization is frequently difficult to pin down, and varies with the location. From looking at some Google images of the Skytrain, I'd say L.A.'s LRT routes are similar; in fact I wouldn't be surprised if they use some of the same rolling stock.

In that case it would be rapid transit no?