SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Found City Photos (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   noirish Los Angeles (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=170279)

ethereal_reality May 6, 2021 10:42 PM

.
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/G42blC.jpg

Boy! 'Mountain Crest Estate' is a tough nut to crack!...I just finished an hour or two of searching.


Let's review:
We're talking about an early subdivision, right? And, per the 'firebreak' sign, the location (560 acres) has to be somewhere between Topanga Canyon and Laurel Canyon.

My guess is. . the 729 Central Building is in downtown Los Angeles. (or perhaps Santa Monica?) :shrug:





Although I didn't find any information on 'Mountain Crest Estate' I found a half dozen or so rabbit holes that I plan to revisit. :) Fun times!

Snix May 7, 2021 4:40 PM

I remember hearing at the time that the midcentury style screen block was added to the Warner Bros. theater building as set dressing for the film "Ed Wood."
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...7f60c0c2_b.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ10wLxSYUs

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9266786)
.

Here's another slide from Nov. 1974 (no doubt taken by the same tourist)

"Star’s Deli Restaurant Hollywood Blvd 35mm Photo Slide Nov 1974 Vtg Los Angeles."

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/HOFvwR.png
eBay

This is the northwest corner of the old Warners Theater building on Hollywood & Wilcox.





Here's the corner of the building today.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/jfpOOO.jpg

It appears they have restored the original grillwork and tlles.

Here


.


ethereal_reality May 8, 2021 3:58 PM

.
mystery locations.

There is a group of photographs, taken in the 1950s, of vintage cars parked in various area of Los Angeles. I don't know if the photographer randomly drove around L.A. looking for these cars
or if he . . ummm. . .had some other means to locate the cars. Some of the photos include the make of the car, others do not.

(the photographs are being sold separately)

It would be overkill if I posted them all at once so here are the first two photographs.

"Original B&W Photo - Vintage Car - 1950s Los Angeles California"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/74aBh2.jpg
eBay





"Original B&W Photo - Vintage Car - Rolls Royce - 1950s Los Angeles California"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/sY8NhI.jpg
eBay

Faaan-ceeee!...I'm a bit surprised the Rolls is parked in a medium-income neighborhood.


.

ethereal_reality May 8, 2021 4:11 PM

.
This next one, in my opinion, is the most intriguing mystery location.

Original B&W Photo - Vintage Car - Mercedes - 1950s Los Angeles California

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/ELoevl.jpg
eBay




Here's a closer look at the old home on the hill.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/2CmIOh.jpg
detail

I'm not sure how that boat dock got there.

If we could only read the sign!









"Original B&W Photo - Vintage Car - Windsor - 1950s Los Angeles California"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/DKQQhQ.jpg
eBay

I don't know if "Windsor" is the make of the car or the location (Windsor Square comes to mind)




.

ethereal_reality May 8, 2021 5:15 PM

re: That damn elusive green building in the Robby Muller polaroid from 1984.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality
Does anyone know what these two building are?

originally posted by ethereal reality
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...924/O2LWhY.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA (Post 9268121)
The building(s) on the right is the Broadway Plaza, the one of the left may be 651 Flower.

Thanks Bill :previous:







I thought perhaps it was these two building in the background of the polaroid.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/Fb4J7h.jpg
GSV

Which might place the old green building somewhere around . . .errrr. . . .ummmm
I've lost interest because I think I'm wrong. :(....I tried.

It was a shot in the dark.



.

Martin Pal May 8, 2021 8:05 PM

I still think the partial building on the left of the "green building"photo is a US Bank building logo. It's the only logo I've searched that fits that "ank" font:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Zjheg&usqp=CAU
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/jRRGoO.jpg

BillinGlendaleCA May 8, 2021 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9273794)
re: That damn elusive green building in the Robby Muller polaroid from 1984.





Thanks Bill :previous:







I thought perhaps it was these two building in the background of the polaroid.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/Fb4J7h.jpg
GSV

Which might place the old green building somewhere around . . .errrr. . . .ummmm
I've lost interest because I think I'm wrong. :(....I tried.

It was a shot in the dark.


P.S. The shorter building I circled is across from 651 Flower St.
.

Nope, the building you circled at the top of your Google Map is 444 Flower(aka: the Wells Fargo Building, LA Law building(from the TV show), 444 building...). It was built in 1980-81. I remember this because I went to a Beatlesfest at the Bonaventure in 1980 and they were building it at the time. I later worked in that building for a couple of years. Also you would have seen the ARCO Plaza buildings in the shot, since they were built in 1972.

Never mind, I was thinking 1974 for some reason. Yeah, the 444 building is in that skyline, pretty much right in the middle of the skyline.

Hollywood Graham May 9, 2021 5:20 PM

50's Car Photos?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9273741)
.
This next one, in my opinion, is the most intriguing mystery location.

Original B&W Photo - Vintage Car - Mercedes - 1950s Los Angeles California

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/ELoevl.jpg
eBay




Here's a closer look at the old home on the hill.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/xq90/924/2CmIOh.jpg
detail

I'm not sure how that boat dock got there.

If we could only read the sign!









"Original B&W Photo - Vintage Car - Windsor - 1950s Los Angeles California"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...924/DKQQhQ.jpg
eBay

I don't know if "Windsor" is the make of the car or the location (Windsor Square comes to mind)




.

Ca. license plates show 1949 which is almost 50's. Many older cars were still daily drivers for people in the 40's and the 50's. I think Chrysler did have a Windsor if I remember correctly, I don't know if they had that model in 20-30's. I remember driving with my parents to my Grand Mothers house at 42nd and Denker from Silverlake and looking for old cars on the way (no freeway then).

Earl Boebert May 9, 2021 9:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham (Post 9274420)
Ca. license plates show 1949 which is almost 50's. Many older cars were still daily drivers for people in the 40's and the 50's. I think Chrysler did have a Windsor if I remember correctly, I don't know if they had that model in 20-30's. I remember driving with my parents to my Grand Mothers house at 42nd and Denker from Silverlake and looking for old cars on the way (no freeway then).

I believe the vehicle is a 1928 or 1929 Marmon.

Cheers,

Earl

Snix May 10, 2021 5:52 PM

I agree that the logo looks similar to U.S. Bank, but they are not listed in the 1981 yellow pages and Wikipedia says they did not enter California until 1988.
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...0f12a4c7_b.jpg

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9273944)
I still think the partial building on the left of the "green building"photo is a US Bank building logo. It's the only logo I've searched that fits that "ank" font:

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...Zjheg&usqp=CAU
https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/jRRGoO.jpg


ethereal_reality May 10, 2021 5:55 PM

.
This original photograph was recently posted on eBay


mystery location.

"Orig Photo - 1910 Los Angeles Western Automobile Factory Shop Streetscene"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/0IbrlE.jpg
eBay

Does anyone recognize this street corner?

There appears to be a large empty lot behind the Western Auto building - with a tall tower/crane(?) on the far side.
I wonder if a large construction project is about to begin.


.

ethereal_reality May 10, 2021 6:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Martin Pal (Post 9273944)
I still think the partial building on the left of the "green building"photo is a US Bank building logo. It's the only logo I've searched that fits that "ank" font:

I also agree with your theory.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/Sy9SBU.jpg
detail of this photograph





While I'm at it - here's the closest look possible of the black building.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/o2rAKr.jpg







. . .and here's the sign on the garage door.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/qemRE1.jpg


If you step back from your computer and squint really hard you'll see that it says, SUCKERS!



ha ha.

ethereal_reality May 10, 2021 6:43 PM

.

Here's another one of those vintage car photographs that I recently spotted on eBay

This one includes the make of the car.

"Original B&W Photo - Vintage Car - Maxwell - 1950s Los Angeles California"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/MW8mTi.jpg
eBay

This is also a mystery location.



Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham (Post 9274420)
Ca. license plates show 1949 which is almost 50's. Many older cars were still daily drivers for people in the 40's and the 50's. I think Chrysler did have a Windsor if I remember correctly, I don't know if they had that model in 20-30's. I remember driving with my parents to my Grand Mothers house at 42nd and Denker from Silverlake and looking for old cars on the way (no freeway then).

Thanks for the information and sharing your memory with us, Hollywood Graham.

.

ethereal_reality May 10, 2021 6:52 PM

.
Speaking of Graham. . .

Here's one more car and mystery location photograph for today.

"Original B&W Photo - Vintage Car - Graham - 1950s Los Angeles California"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/j2b8Et.jpg
eBay

I've never heard of a Graham until I happened upon this photograph.


.

HossC May 10, 2021 9:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9275260)

This original photograph was recently posted on eBay

mystery location.

"Orig Photo - 1910 Los Angeles Western Automobile Factory Shop Streetscene"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...923/0IbrlE.jpg
eBay

Does anyone recognize this street corner?

There appears to be a large empty lot behind the Western Auto building - with a tall tower/crane(?) on the far side.
I wonder if a large construction project is about to begin.

USC have a couple of pictures of the Western Auto Wash. Here's a detail of one of them. Just out of this view is a street sign showing Western and San Marino, so this was the site located at 900 S Western Avenue. It looks like the 20c parking charge was waived for theatre patrons!

https://hosting.photobucket.com/imag...nAutoWash1.jpg
USC Digital Library

I thought that the little tower directly above the nearest corner belonged to the extant Sir Francis Drake Apartments at 841 S Serrano Avenue, but they were built in 1929 (BP is dated August 28th, 1928), but the Dick Whittington photo above is dated 1927.

stanklem May 11, 2021 1:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9275304)
I also agree with your theory.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/Sy9SBU.jpg
detail of this photograph





While I'm at it - here's the closest look possible of the black building.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/o2rAKr.jpg







. . .and here's the sign on the garage door.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/qemRE1.jpg


If you step back from your computer and squint really hard you'll see that it says, SUCKERS!



ha ha.

As an architect this is intriguing.
Did a Google search for US Bank locations in Los Angeles and drove the Googlemobile around several of their neighborhoods. Not all. Nothing.

Some thoughts. Just my two cents.

Notice the street sign. It implies drivers might believe there is head in parking available. Would such a sign be near downtown LA or other neighborhood where modern high-rise buildings exist?

There is no sign atop the brown or black building. My guess it is brown, a very popular color of spandrel glass and stone in the 1970s.

Thought it strange the USBank logo is off to the right at the top of the building. More appropriate locations would be to the left or center. Assuming it is a USBank logo and it does have the right font.

The tenant space to the left has a garage-type door but no curb cut. Thought this strange. Maybe I've been watching too many detective dramas. Could the street have been repaved some time?

Good luck.

Beginning to think this is not Los Angeles. Could it be Burbank, Glendale, Hollywood, or somewhere else.

odinthor May 11, 2021 2:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9275304)

The font of Great American Bank looks promising:

https://i.postimg.cc/HxD06KFK/Great-...T-1980-1-3.jpg
LA Times, 1/3/1980

sadykadie2 May 11, 2021 4:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9275304)
I also agree with your theory.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...923/Sy9SBU.jpg
detail of this photograph





While I'm at it - here's the closest look possible of the black building.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/8...922/o2rAKr.jpg







. . .and here's the sign on the garage door.

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/6...922/qemRE1.jpg


If you step back from your computer and squint really hard you'll see that it says, SUCKERS!




ha ha.

:haha::haha::haha:

Hollywood Graham May 11, 2021 4:45 AM

Graham
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by ethereal_reality (Post 9275330)
.
Speaking of Graham. . .

Here's one more car and mystery location photograph for today.

"Original B&W Photo - Vintage Car - Graham - 1950s Los Angeles California"

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/v2/1...922/j2b8Et.jpg
eBay

I've never heard of a Graham until I happened upon this photograph.


.

It is a 1940 or 41 Graham Hollywood (now you know where I get the Hollywood Graham name from). Last year for Graham because of WW2. They came back with Frazier after the war. Hollywoods were made from 1937 Cord dies, Hupmobile Skylarks also which Graham made for them. I have a 1941 Street Rod Graham Hollywood.

Martin Pal May 11, 2021 6:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snix (Post 9275255)
I agree that the logo looks similar to U.S. Bank, but they are not listed in the 1981 yellow pages and Wikipedia says they did not enter California until 1988.
_________________________________________________________________


Well, now, that throws a https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/SH...-hbx6Ev-rE=s85 into things!


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.