SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Completed Project Threads Archive (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=348)
-   -   CHICAGO | Essex on the Park | 607 FT | 56 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225358)

Skyguy_7 Dec 9, 2018 12:58 AM

^And used by the mayor as well. They call it Daley road.

CastleScott Dec 9, 2018 3:54 AM

^ Daley Road-interesting. Thanks for the info guys!

harryc Dec 14, 2018 12:04 AM

Dec 12






Donnie77 Dec 14, 2018 1:14 AM

I recall someone comparing this to the Salesforce tower in New York! Lol

This beauty will only get better with age imo. Now I just want see her lit

BonoboZill4 Dec 14, 2018 4:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie77 (Post 8408167)
I recall someone comparing this to the Salesforce tower in New York! Lol

This beauty will only get better with age imo. Now I just want see her lit

I remember that. I was quite offended at the comparison at the time haha

Le Baron Dec 15, 2018 11:40 PM

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4917/4...5d23b42e_h.jpg

Donnie77 Dec 16, 2018 12:09 AM

Great angle Baron

Leveled Dec 16, 2018 12:24 AM

This tower always looks like a render.

BonoboZill4 Dec 16, 2018 4:42 AM

Drop. Dead. Gorgeous.

Le Baron Dec 16, 2018 4:01 PM

12/16/2018
 
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4826/4...2f1284bc_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4854/4...357de59d_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4817/3...9b2ee80e_h.jpg

Barrelfish Dec 16, 2018 4:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Baron (Post 8410246)

There needs to be some kind of award for Best Glass Box. Is there any recent tower here or anywhere that could compete with Essex for that award?

ChickeNES Dec 20, 2018 5:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrelfish (Post 8410618)
There needs to be some kind of award for Best Glass Box. Is there any recent tower here or anywhere that could compete with Essex for that award?

Wolf Point West

Skyguy_7 Dec 20, 2018 12:57 PM

WPW is a B+. It’s rather bland.

Essex is an A+

LouisVanDerWright Dec 20, 2018 1:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8414881)
WPW is a B+. It’s rather bland.

False, WPW is A+. Have you ever looked closely at it? The facade detailing is incredible.

Rooster slayer Dec 20, 2018 2:01 PM

This has always been my cycle favorite and I love it's location as well. Le Baron, A+ on those photos!

Skyguy_7 Dec 20, 2018 2:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright (Post 8414897)
False, WPW is A+. Have you ever looked closely at it? The facade detailing is incredible.

I'll have to take a closer look next time. I do like the stainless steel rails throughout.

BonoboZill4 Feb 7, 2019 1:21 AM

https://i.imgur.com/sULd7Bd.jpg

Another notch in the impressive Michigan Avenue Wall. Add in 1000M and it might regain the title as my favorite vista from Michigan Avenue Bridge...

Of course that's not considering what the city might look like with the Tribune addition, 400 LSD, Site I, etc... Best views in/of the city will be right there from the pedestrian level though in my book.

Bombardier Feb 16, 2019 12:42 PM

There was a nice article about the hotel renovation portion of this project in the Tribune:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifes...217-story.html

Also, I'm not sure if anyone posted the website for the apartments, but they are available for March 1 move-in.

https://www.rentessex.com/

BonoboZill4 Feb 25, 2019 4:44 AM

Last pictures I'll be posting of this tower. She's an emerald gem in the Grant Park Crown

https://i.imgur.com/Jndj6Bq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZoJMNbz.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/eKdoR2Q.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/89oBEzg.jpg

Bombardier Mar 2, 2019 11:54 AM

Essex had their first tenants move in yesterday:

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...oes-apartments

RedCorsair87 Mar 2, 2019 1:01 PM

I'm amazed how well this building turned out. I would love a few more 600+ft towers in the SoLo of this caliber to fill out the skyline gaps.

chicubs111 Mar 2, 2019 1:44 PM

I would love to see more tower just like this in streeterville and rivernorth...perfect filler buildings for smaller lots and can create a great caynon effect in those parts.

BonoboZill4 Mar 2, 2019 5:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 8492135)
I would love to see more tower just like this in streeterville and rivernorth...perfect filler buildings for smaller lots and can create a great caynon effect in those parts.

It's so bizarre how the South and West Loop get great quality projects but River North has gotten nothing great this cycle. I guess OCS is going to change that at least :)

Investing In Chicago Mar 2, 2019 8:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 8492135)
I would love to see more tower just like this in streeterville and rivernorth...perfect filler buildings for smaller lots and can create a great caynon effect in those parts.

smaller lots?! This building has a huge foot print.

ardecila Mar 6, 2019 2:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8492242)
It's so bizarre how the South and West Loop get great quality projects but River North has gotten nothing great this cycle. I guess OCS is going to change that at least :)

I mean, there are no views to sell in River North, there's literally a wall of highrises blocking the lake in every direction. It's just city views, but you can get those without going to 600'.

jc5680 Mar 6, 2019 3:14 AM

The notion river north hasn’t seen quality developments is kind silly either way. Wolf point is a thing that exists in river north. Aside from Fulton market has anywhere else seen as much development as that stretch of Wells?

We got a building built to hug the curve of the L: awesome.

We saw the effen building’s roof converted to an amenity deck instead of another homogenous blob of a podium.

Numerous parking lots bit the dust.

A healthy amount of architectural variety.

I mean, c’mon.

Ricochet48 Mar 6, 2019 3:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8496052)
The notion river north hasn’t seen quality developments is kind silly either way.

Essex & NEMA will have commanding views and are pretty unique architecturally.

Newer RN building are quite bland, but there's been a lot of movement in the luxury high rises space. 2017 brought TEN towers alone. When WPE is finished, 3500 new units will have been added to the market in just 2 years...

OCS will also be right on the edge and will likely start construction in a couple weeks.

ardecila Mar 7, 2019 5:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8496052)
The notion river north hasn’t seen quality developments is kind silly either way. Wolf point is a thing that exists in river north. Aside from Fulton market has anywhere else seen as much development as that stretch of Wells?

We got a building built to hug the curve of the L: awesome.

We saw the effen building’s roof converted to an amenity deck instead of another homogenous blob of a podium.

Numerous parking lots bit the dust.

A healthy amount of architectural variety.

I mean, c’mon.

I'm very satisfied with the way River North is developing, especially the Wells corridor. Compare that to the awful 2000s-era corridors on State or Wabash. Just explaining why developers in River North haven't pushed for serious height...

jc5680 Mar 7, 2019 5:14 PM

Sure, my comment wasn't really meant to be directed towards you - and I agree with point. It was more in somewhat of exasperation from the lazy comments made prior that appear not actually consider the random neighborhoods named or want to draw absolute lines between height and 'quality'

gebs Mar 8, 2019 7:04 PM

March 7th, 2019

So many of these buildings didn't exist just five years ago.

https://i.imgur.com/RLlPeeLh.jpg

r18tdi Mar 8, 2019 10:02 PM

View from the top, via Curbed.
Neat to see the Michigan Avenue streetwall from the middle, usually it's from either the north or south end.
Kinda makes me want to put on a suit and monocle bluff my way into touring the penthouse unit!
Also, time to move this one out of U/C?

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Z0ph...m_iOS__53_.jpg

jc5680 Mar 8, 2019 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IronWright (Post 8499115)
River North's biggest issue besides the podiums and the Mc'Donald's, Rain Forest Cafe, BP, Hard-Rock, Walgreens, Portillo's, Ohio House etc. etc. suburban super blocks is there is little height/depth/density, especially west of State. Way too many surface lots, underutilized sites, low-rise housing and single story structures. The east/west corridors are wide open, more skyscrapers need to fill in these blocks to grow the core west and north. There's is a definite significant drop off in scale.

Spectacular example of the comments I mentioned :tup:

LouisVanDerWright Mar 9, 2019 1:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by r18tdi (Post 8499753)
View from the top, via Curbed.
Neat to see the Michigan Avenue streetwall from the middle, usually it's from either the north or south end.
Kinda makes me want to put on a suit and monocle bluff my way into touring the penthouse unit!
Also, time to move this one out of U/C?

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/Z0ph...m_iOS__53_.jpg

The thing I like most about this view is that you can see pretty much the entire ancient skyscraper CBD of Chicago and how well preserved it is. The area along Dearborn, Federal, State, Wabash, and Michigan between Congress and Randolph is absolutely amazing.

BonoboZill4 Mar 9, 2019 4:48 AM

That view is intoxicating. I second the move for a covert monocle and pipe trip to the top.

maru2501 Mar 9, 2019 2:59 PM

I'd rather a lot of river north get jumped and have height west and northwest of it.

we need a vibrant lowrise area downtown for clubs and restaurants. We don't need 20 more glass encased parking garage bases that are dead at 930 pm

10023 Mar 9, 2019 4:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 8500300)
I'd rather a lot of river north get jumped and have height west and northwest of it.

we need a vibrant lowrise area downtown for clubs and restaurants. We don't need 20 more glass encased parking garage bases that are dead at 930 pm

Chicago just really needs to ban the parking garage bases.

If that means new housing is much more expensive, so be it. If that means there is much less new development of any kind, so be it. But they are ruining parts of the city.

KWillChicago Mar 9, 2019 5:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8500110)
That view is intoxicating. I second the move for a covert monocle and pipe trip to the top.

Anyone know the prices of the full floor penthouses here. They gotta be starting around $8/$9 figuring thats what legacy started at... at that height. So for rents i guess that would be like $30,000 a month?

Bombardier Mar 9, 2019 6:37 PM

^Monthly rent starts at $11,500 for the penthouses, which are 2,100 to 2,385 square feet and have four bedrooms.

Per Crains article:
https://www.chicagobusiness.com/resi...oes-apartments

SIGSEGV Mar 9, 2019 7:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8500380)
Chicago just really needs to ban the parking garage bases.

If that means new housing is much more expensive, so be it. If that means there is much less new development of any kind, so be it. But they are ruining parts of the city.

Can probably get away with just banning them in the core (East of Halsted, south of Chicago, north of Roosevelt).

spyguy Mar 9, 2019 8:22 PM

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7841/...9d84cf3a_b.jpgDSC_5777 by BartShore, on Flickr

BonoboZill4 Mar 9, 2019 9:02 PM

^

Calling it right now... that picture will be unrecognizable in 25 years. All those lots between Wabash and Dearborn will have big towers by then

sammyg Mar 15, 2019 3:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10023 (Post 8500380)
Chicago just really needs to ban the parking garage bases.

If that means new housing is much more expensive, so be it. If that means there is much less new development of any kind, so be it. But they are ruining parts of the city.

Wouldn't housing be cheaper since the developers wouldn't need to waste money on huge bases?

gandalf612 Mar 15, 2019 3:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 8506862)
Wouldn't housing be cheaper since the developers wouldn't need to waste money on huge bases?

From my understanding building taller and/or digging is more expensive than making the first several levels wider.

harryc Mar 15, 2019 10:13 PM

March 10


BonoboZill4 Mar 15, 2019 10:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gandalf612 (Post 8506870)
From my understanding building taller and/or digging is more expensive than making the first several levels wider.

This is correct. Going underground is extremely expensive and time consuming

sammyg Mar 18, 2019 4:16 PM

I've started seeing ads for apartments at the Essex, when will residents start moving in?

gandalf612 Mar 18, 2019 7:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sammyg (Post 8509588)
I've started seeing ads for apartments at the Essex, when will residents start moving in?

Pretty sure they already have

BonoboZill4 Mar 21, 2019 11:27 PM

https://i.imgur.com/UMZSTE8.jpg

Bow down to the greatest street wall in the world :)

r18tdi Mar 22, 2019 2:35 PM

Kamin: "A tall order of metal and glass 'meh'"
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...321-story.html

ouch!

Skyguy_7 Mar 22, 2019 2:49 PM

^Kamin = a pompous, elitist clown. His job as a critic is obviously to complain about EVERYTHING and I just hate complainers. The laymen are grateful for this nice addition to the greatest streetwall in the world!


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.