SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Skyscraper & Highrise Construction (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   CHICAGO | Salesforce Tower | 850 FT | 60 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217949)

AMWChicago Nov 30, 2018 9:02 PM

Lmao. The thread name change

rlw777 Nov 30, 2018 9:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 8395558)
^ yes.

and the 715' tall union station tower, which BMO has allegedly been in serious talks for anchoring, is probably another safe bet for this cycle, which would make a total of 6 major office towers.

Yeah forgot about that one. I'm curious how much square footage will have been added to the market at the end of this cycle. Including the Post Office and the smaller projects like the Plaid building at Desplaines and Adams.

chicubs111 Nov 30, 2018 9:44 PM

so im happy and sad about this overall project... Happy about getting a nicely sized tower and a sizeable amount of jobs to the city.. Sad about what could of been for this site considering its unique location and the hype about how wolf point was supposed to be "iconic" for the city when the Kennedy family began development. Im also upset about the number of jobs.. if true.. 1k jobs over 5 years is not alot at all... they did take a huge amount of space so i cant believe that is all they will have but i was thinking somere in the 3k range of new jobs to fill 500k square feet. They also could just be consolidating office from other salerforce jobs in the city to fill the remaining of the 500k. There is a lot of inaccurate journalism going around so i will hold out till i get some solid facts though. I was just hoping the 1k jobs would be immediate hires and the remaining potential 2k jobs by the end of 2023. :shrug:

Mr Roboto Nov 30, 2018 11:46 PM

^ agree on the tower height. Oh well. Could be seen as a lost opportunity for a site this prominent, or we could just be happy something somewhat tall is being built there after many years of nothing. I think most of us envisioned another signature super tall 10 or so years ago or even decades ago for some of us. At this point fuck it, I'll take this bland shit. Lowered expectations in effect.

F1 Tommy Dec 1, 2018 12:24 AM

More height would have been nice for such a historically important site but atleast this building is locked in now. Great news.

the urban politician Dec 1, 2018 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMWChicago (Post 8395559)
Lmao. The thread name change

Not following why that’s funny :shrug:

lakeshoredrive Dec 1, 2018 1:17 AM

A lot of confusion about the height but I was just on the Salesforce's facebook page to read their announcement about the tower and it said 950 ft and 57 floors.

Zapatan Dec 1, 2018 1:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chicubs111 (Post 8395609)
so im happy and sad about this overall project... Happy about getting a nicely sized tower and a sizeable amount of jobs to the city.. Sad about what could of been for this site considering its unique location and the hype about how wolf point was supposed to be "iconic" for the city when the Kennedy family began development. Im also upset about the number of jobs.. if true.. 1k jobs over 5 years is not alot at all... they did take a huge amount of space so i cant believe that is all they will have but i was thinking somere in the 3k range of new jobs to fill 500k square feet. They also could just be consolidating office from other salerforce jobs in the city to fill the remaining of the 500k. There is a lot of inaccurate journalism going around so i will hold out till i get some solid facts though. I was just hoping the 1k jobs would be immediate hires and the remaining potential 2k jobs by the end of 2023. :shrug:

Me too, although I believe the initial proposed height was even shorter (755' or something)

These three towers are way better than an empty lot though, despite being the perfect place for an 1000+ foot building. Maybe with a year to wait there will be some changes? :shrug:

bnk Dec 1, 2018 1:27 AM

Not to be a stick in the mud but is not WPS a close location for the supertall in movie I Robot?

This was our chance.

https://static1.squarespace.com/stat...683/iROBOt.jpg

OhioGuy Dec 1, 2018 2:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lakeshoredrive (Post 8395771)
A lot of confusion about the height but I was just on the Salesforce's facebook page to read their announcement about the tower and it said 950 ft and 57 floors.

Interesting indeed. Presumably just an error on their part, but it should be a binding error! ;)

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4894/...4b692b_k_d.jpg

Zapatan Dec 1, 2018 3:10 AM

People who write these articles often have no idea what they're talking about or work on outdated information.

I'd stick with the 844' figure. Especially since the rendering has changed and looks 844' and 58 floors

the urban politician Dec 1, 2018 3:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8395853)
People who write these articles often have no idea what they're talking about or work on outdated information.

I'd stick with the 844' figure. Especially since the rendering has changed and looks 844' and 58 floors

Will you ever give this a rest?

Zapatan Dec 1, 2018 3:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 8395857)
Will you ever give this a rest?

Give what a rest? People keep saying the tower will be this high or that high after we likely know the stats due to more credible sources.

Vlajos Dec 1, 2018 4:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zapatan (Post 8395865)
Give what a rest? People keep saying the tower will be this high or that high after we likely know the stats due to more credible sources.

I imagine TUP is referring to your non stop obsession with height. It's really boring to read to most of us.

The North One Dec 1, 2018 5:07 AM

That render looks a lot shorter than 950 feet... ?

marothisu Dec 1, 2018 5:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8395316)
Yeah, 100 sqft per person can be quite a lot

The tech office I currently work out of in Mountain View CA clocks in at about 120sqft per and it is downright roomy. Not quite open seating, people have desks that are sort of grouped no more than 3 in a bundle, groups are separated by low dividers. There is roughly a 2:1 desk seat to conference/phone room ratio. Full kitchen and common space, even a huge event/meeting room that seats 62.

Yeah - a lot of companies have gone to these more high performance workspace set ups. Far cry - I remember 12 or 13 years ago at IBM I had a legitimate office with a door and everything. I had an office mate, but only 1 - tons of space. No cubicles.

In my current company, we went from cubicles to this in a new office 3 years ago. Everyone bought into it. Some of the really high up execs I work with were kind of upset for a month that they had to sit with everyone else, but they got over it pretty quickly. Everyone's desk is probably only something like 5 feet by 2.5 feet and it's adequate (given that we have laptops, flat panel monitors, etc). The floor has more than enough room for everyone to move around and do what they want including playing pool, watching TV while getting coffee, eating in a cafetaria, playing giant connect 4, doing actual work, etc.

BonoboZill4 Dec 1, 2018 5:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The North One (Post 8395929)
That render looks a lot shorter than 950 feet... ?

It is going to be shorter, that's just what the site was zoned to. 500-800 feet really seems to be the height range for class A office space(in Chicago) in this day and age, and it makes sense

Zapatan Dec 1, 2018 5:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8395951)
It is going to be shorter, that's just what the site was zoned to. 500-800 feet really seems to be the height range for class A office space(in Chicago) in this day and age, and it makes sense

Right, it makes sense from an economics standpoint but makes me wonder whether Chi-town would ever see a supertall office tower again (not that the city is lacking or anything).

Quote:

I imagine TUP is referring to your non stop obsession with height. It's really boring to read to most of us.
This whole thread is a non stop obsession with the height, naturally.

The North One Dec 1, 2018 5:56 PM

I'm not obsessed, I was just confused since the render does not look like 950 ft.

the urban politician Dec 1, 2018 6:10 PM

I wonder how Jarta's feeling about all of this...