SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Transportation (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   The Brightline Thread (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=198371)

M II A II R II K Dec 19, 2012 10:41 PM

The main reason for low speed maglevs is that they're not susceptible to weather. And Orlando doesn't get any snow and plus it's slow.

ICTS would probably be a better option like what the Beijing Airport has.

202_Cyclist Dec 19, 2012 10:49 PM

All Aboard Florida gets OK to start lease talks for Orlando-to-Miami rail route

All Aboard Florida gets OK to start lease talks for Orlando-to-Miami rail route

Orlando Business Journal
By Anjali Fluker
December 18, 2012

"The Florida Department of Transportation on Dec. 18 gave the thumbs up to start lease negotiations with the firm that wants to build the $1.5 billion, privately owned, operated and maintained Orlando-to-Miami passenger rail system.

All Aboard Florida now will begin talks on two separate lease agreements for right-of-way use along State Road 528, one agreement with the state transportation department and another with the Orlando-Orange County Expressway Authority. That would pave the way for the firm to begin work on its proposed 240-mile intercity passenger rail system.

"Today, the Florida Department of Transportation notified All Aboard Florida that it has accepted our proposal to lease right of way in the State Road 528 corridor to build the first private intercity passenger rail system in the country,” said Husein Cumber, executive vice president of corporate development for Florida East Coast Industries. “All Aboard Florida will begin negotiations with FDOT to determine the lease terms that will allow our $1.5 billion private investment to move forward quickly so we can enhance Florida's transportation network and begin to create thousands of new jobs in our state...”

http://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/b...-to-start.html

Lakelander Dec 19, 2012 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 5944600)
Thanks for the heads up, although it would of helped if you had referred to his ODU project instead of Norfolk in the first place. :)

It's one thing for Universities and other private investors to invest and sink money into research, it's another to expect cities to do so.

^My bad. I thought this guy was well known. Nevertheless, if he couldn't deliver one mile of workable track what makes anyone believe he's going to follow through on a 15 mile system and operate it as an important piece of a public transit network? What happens if there are glitches, he runs out of money, or other's don't buy into his idea? Does he shut the Orlando demonstration line down? Does it end up as ODU part II? If he decides to sell, who really wants to deal with a proprietary maglev system with non-standard track, trains, and parts that only achieves a top operating speed of 50mph?

I'm one of the biggest rail fans around but if that's my only option for fixed transit, I'll take a shuttle bus or a cheap form of BRT and call it a day. Btw, glad to see another AAF update. Now that's a privately funded transit project that makes sense.

aquablue Dec 19, 2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lakelander (Post 5944672)
^My bad. I thought this guy was well known. Nevertheless, if he couldn't deliver one mile of workable track what makes anyone believe he's going to follow through on a 15 mile system and operate it as an important piece of a public transit network? What happens if there are glitches, he runs out of money, or other's don't buy into his idea? Does he shut the Orlando demonstration line down? Does it end up as ODU part II? If he decides to sell, who really wants to deal with a proprietary maglev system with non-standard track, trains, and parts that only achieves a top operating speed of 50mph?

I'm one of the biggest rail fans around but if that's my only option for fixed transit, I'll take a shuttle bus or a cheap form of BRT and call it a day. Btw, glad to see another AAF update. Now that's a privately funded transit project that makes sense.

I have ridden maglev, it is a far superior ride than other steel-wheel solutions. It is like a dream.

Lakelander Dec 20, 2012 2:31 AM

^That's all good. I'm not debating the quality of a ride on a maglev. I'm questioning the feasibility and risk of this particular project in Orlando.

Lakelander Dec 29, 2012 5:58 PM

More details emerging, including the FEC railroad runs about 10 freight trains a day in the corridor, down from a high of 23 in 2006.

Orlando-to-Miami train could generate $145M in fares annually

Quote:

If the All Aboard Florida train becomes a reality, the system linking Orlando International Airport with Miami would generate $145 million in fares annually by 2018, according to records filed by the company with the state.

With one-way tickets estimated in the $100 range, that would mean the Coral Gables-based company is expecting to carry nearly 1.5 million passengers between Central and South Florida within three years of its inaugural trip in 2015.

All Aboard Florida also is seeking a 99-year lease, presumably for free or a token payment, to lay down tracks along the south edge of the BeachLine Expressway, which runs from Interstate 4 south of downtown Orlando to Cocoa on the east coast.

Those details were revealed in an 81-page proposal All Aboard Florida sent the state Department of Transportation last month.
full article: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,7345804.story

Nexis4Jersey Dec 29, 2012 7:31 PM

100$ one way , unless its 160mph is pretty steep in my opinion...

aquablue Dec 29, 2012 7:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey (Post 5953208)

That is pathetic for what is basically low speed rail.:uhh:

N830MH Dec 30, 2012 6:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey (Post 5953208)

Whoa! It's too expensive!! Cannot afford of it. There is no cheap price. How about $30 one-way ticket?

electricron Dec 30, 2012 7:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 5953660)
Whoa! It's too expensive!! Cannot afford of it. There is no cheap price. How about $30 one-way ticket?

You'd pay $18 in tolls on the Florida Turnpike between Orlando and Miami, and that's before buying the gas. At around 240 miles, assuming you average 24 mpg on a highway, that 10 gallons, and at $4 per gallon, that's another $40. Just gas and tolls alone you will spend $58. Spending twice that, and letting someone else do the driving is definitely worth it. :tup:
FEC is in the business of creating profits, they certainly aren't going to charge less than what you can drive it.

Lakelander Dec 30, 2012 1:37 PM

The Orlando Sentinel estimate of $100 tickets and 1.5 million passengers by 2018 could be wrong. The Palm Beach Post quotes 3.29 million passengers by the same date, with the same $145 million figure as revenue. I'd expect them to at least be competitive with airline fares between the two regions. A quick trip to Orbitz.com indicates the cheapest flight between Miami and Orlando is roughly $88 one way. Start checking luggage and there's no telling what that number balloons too.

Quote:

All Aboard Florida’s research indicated the rail line should build up to 3.29 million riders by 2018 and generate $145 million, according to the company’s proposal.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/bu...tion-fr/nTZ6r/

Jonboy1983 Dec 30, 2012 8:43 PM

Quote:

Are you serious?

Considering the following posts, I'd say it's pretty reasonable and competitive...

eleven=11 Dec 30, 2012 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aquablue (Post 5953227)
That is pathetic for what is basically low speed rail.:uhh:

low speed/high speed , who cares...
this is not china or france or japan or spain or germany or.......
id pay $50 easy for miami/orlando

is there any new info on the ft lauderdale Wave Train?
just asking cause it puts people onto the All Aboard station....

aquablue Dec 30, 2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 5954022)
low speed/high speed , who cares...
this is not china or france or japan or spain or germany or.......
id pay $50 easy for miami/orlando

is there any new info on the ft lauderdale Wave Train?
just asking cause it puts people onto the All Aboard station....

So you prefer to pay more and get worse service than France, Japan, Spain, Germany, etc? You have a good positive attitude and the rail service is a good start, but I can't help comparing this to other countries, sorry.

Lakelander Dec 31, 2012 12:21 AM

This is Florida. We don't really care what's happening in France and Germany. I personally could care less about doing something to simply be a "trendsetter" for the US, if it doesn't make financial sense. I'm totally fine with these guys spending their cash to build and operate a traditional intercity rail system to basically support TOD on the real estate they own along their tracks. A century ago, this strategy made Henry Flagler millions. I'm glad to see this rail company attempt to return to their roots.

Lakelander Dec 31, 2012 1:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eleven=11 (Post 5954022)
is there any new info on the ft lauderdale Wave Train? just asking cause it puts people onto the All Aboard station....

Still on pace to open in early 2015 along with All Aboard Florida.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

N830MH Dec 31, 2012 4:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by electricron (Post 5953690)
You'd pay $18 in tolls on the Florida Turnpike between Orlando and Miami, and that's before buying the gas. At around 240 miles, assuming you average 24 mpg on a highway, that 10 gallons, and at $4 per gallon, that's another $40. Just gas and tolls alone you will spend $58. Spending twice that, and letting someone else do the driving is definitely worth it. :tup:
FEC is in the business of creating profits, they certainly aren't going to charge less than what you can drive it.

Actually, the fuel price has already falling. They won't go back to $4 gallon anymore. You don't want to spent too much money. Just take on Amtrak is a right choice for you. You don't have take a car or if you prefer to take on Greyhound bus.

Lakelander Dec 31, 2012 6:26 AM

Quote:

Currently it will run you $42 to $55 for a one-way, 5 to 7 hour ride on Amtrak between the two cities. On both legs, you'll have to transfer to a bus or another mode of mass transit to get to either city's downtown or airport.

Lakelander Jan 17, 2013 2:05 PM

An update on the monorail that Orlando International Airport is considering building to connect the terminals to All Aboard Florida by 2015.

Quote:

Orlando International Airport moved closer to building a new monorail Wednesday when its board picked a trio of consultants for the $181 million project.

The system, similar to ones already shuttling passengers between the main terminal and the four airsides, could initially serve a new parking garage and train depot by 2015.

Farther in the future, the mile-long, elevated system could act as a ferry to a new, second southern terminal near what is now a parking lot for people waiting for planes to land.
Quote:

If OIA goes ahead with the people mover and garage, it also would be responsible for road and other infrastructure costs of about $78 million. That would bring the project total to nearly $470 million.

Those structures also could serve the second terminal, which has been long discussed at OIA, but frequently postponed because of inconsistent passenger counts. That could cost $1 billion or more.

About 35 million people use OIA annually, and officials say service would begin to deteriorate at 40 million, with lines becoming unmanageable at 45 million to 50 million. OIA could reach 45 million between 2017 and 2022, airport projections indicate.
full article: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...,5044032.story

Lakelander Jan 19, 2013 3:24 AM

All Aboard Florida purchases downtown West Palm Beach property for station site:

Quote:

WEST PALM BEACH — All Aboard Florida has acquired more downtown property for a train station with plans for an express rail line from Miami to Orlando just two years away.
More than $4 million has been invested in the Datura and Evernia blocks abutting the Florida East Coast Railway tracks beside Quadrille Boulevard since last fall. All Aboard Florida has identified the location as one of its preferred option for a station in West Palm Beach.
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/bu...ation-f/nTybc/