SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 195 N Columbus (LSE) | 502 FT | 47 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213523)

Steely Dan Jul 11, 2017 1:43 PM

does anyone know if the height info we have in the thread title (642', 60 floors) is still accurate for the revised proposal?

intrepidDesign Jul 11, 2017 3:56 PM

To me, they should rotate the plan 180 degrees. I mean why wouldn't you want the amenities deck facing the park (east). You'd get the most sun that way.

10023 Jul 11, 2017 4:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by intrepidDesign (Post 7861613)
To me, they should rotate the plan 180 degrees. I mean why wouldn't you want the amenities deck facing the park (east). You'd get the most sun that way.

You'd get sun in the morning but the building would cast a shadow in the afternoon, when more people are going to be sitting by the pool.

r18tdi Jul 11, 2017 5:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steely Dan (Post 7861440)
does anyone know if the height info we have in the thread title (642', 60 floors) is still accurate for the revised proposal?

I believe 650 feet and 54 floors are new stats.

i_am_hydrogen Jul 11, 2017 5:38 PM

Higher-quality renderings:

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/zdb1...Parcel_O_4.jpg

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/BlzY...Parcel_O_3.jpg

Zerton Jul 11, 2017 5:47 PM

Meh. Filler.

shakman Jul 11, 2017 6:10 PM

Thank God it is just a filler.

Kenmore Jul 11, 2017 6:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakman (Post 7861820)
Thank God it is just a filler.

lol

Notyrview Jul 11, 2017 6:39 PM

I like this, it reminds me of SHOP's stuff. The base is beautiful.

Khantilever Jul 11, 2017 7:13 PM

I think the modular design and slight cantilevering make this nice filler, at the very least.

left of center Jul 11, 2017 9:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zerton (Post 7861777)
Meh. Filler.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shakman (Post 7861820)
Thank God it is just a filler.

The good news is that it really won't be visible from most angles, since that site is bordered by many taller buildings.

denizen467 Jul 12, 2017 5:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Notyrview (Post 7861869)
I like this, it reminds me of SHOP's stuff. The base is beautiful.

Indeed. The base is beautfiul. Especially since this is ending up as "filler", we should be pretty happy with this.

Everyone also keep in mind that we've come to a time when 54 stories is considered filler. That's worth a banana by itself.

Also, thread title still has the 201 North Columbus as the address; news articles are referring to it as 195 North but I don't know how official that is.

Zerton Jul 12, 2017 10:39 PM

The base does look really nice. It will hopefully liven up that corner. The area is a bit barren and windswept as of now.

the urban politician Jul 13, 2017 2:59 AM

This is supposed to start in 2018, right?

If the developers can sell Coast they will be flush with cash. Plus if a lot of their equity into Vista can come from the EB-5 program and the like, then Magellan should easily have enough capital to get this project started. All they need is to sign 2 hotel flags and they are ready to go. Plus with this being all rental, they run no risk of cannibalizing condo sales from Vista.

nergie Jul 13, 2017 4:13 AM

Magellan has sold the Coast to a Canadian outfit based in Toronto. The article was in Crain's a few weeks ago.

Bombardier Jul 13, 2017 10:09 AM

^^At the meeting they said the project is slated to start in Q1 2018. I've heard they are in advanced talks with a hotel operator, Commune Hotels, to bring two of their flags into the building. I believe Tommie and Joie de Vivre are the two flags. They should have no problem starting this next year.

SamInTheLoop Jul 13, 2017 1:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bombardier (Post 7863883)
^^At the meeting they said the project is slated to start in Q1 2018. I've heard they are in advanced talks with a hotel operator, Commune Hotels, to bring two of their flags into the building. I believe Tommie and Joie de Vivre are the two flags. They should have no problem starting this next year.


That's great news. Have been looking forward to this one for quite some time, and had been wondering what's taking so long. Think it's a very nice design and major shot of density.....

SamInTheLoop Jul 13, 2017 1:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the urban politician (Post 7863705)
This is supposed to start in 2018, right?

If the developers can sell Coast they will be flush with cash. Plus if a lot of their equity into Vista can come from the EB-5 program and the like, then Magellan should easily have enough capital to get this project started. All they need is to sign 2 hotel flags and they are ready to go. Plus with this being all rental, they run no risk of cannibalizing condo sales from Vista.


I think EB-5 is typically used for mezz debt. Regardless, it is not going to end up being a major source, and what's more the whole program is coming under much-needed significant scrutiny.......it's turned into a joke

the urban politician Jul 13, 2017 1:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 7863989)
I think EB-5 is typically used for mezz debt. Regardless, it is not going to end up being a major source, and what's more the whole program is coming under much-needed significant scrutiny.......it's turned into a joke

Interesting, I didn't know that those funds were used for debt

James_Mac Jul 13, 2017 5:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop (Post 7863989)
I think EB-5 is typically used for mezz debt. Regardless, it is not going to end up being a major source, and what's more the whole program is coming under much-needed significant scrutiny.......it's turned into a joke

At the community meeting on Monday someone asked the question about whether EB-5 funding was being used. My memory is that whoever was speaking said that it was not going to be used and that they had never seriously considered it. Apparently this project was just listed as an example of the sort of project that could benefit from EB-5 funding in the Daley application. The person speaking seemed a little annoyed at the Sun Times for creating the impression that EB-5 funding would be used for this.

nergie Jul 13, 2017 6:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by James_Mac (Post 7864343)
At the community meeting on Monday someone asked the question about whether EB-5 funding was being used. My memory is that whoever was speaking said that it was not going to be used and that they had never seriously considered it. Apparently this project was just listed as an example of the sort of project that could benefit from EB-5 funding in the Daley application. The person speaking seemed a little annoyed at the Sun Times for creating the impression that EB-5 funding would be used for this.

It was Sean Linnane from Magellan. He was annoyed because the person asking the question stated that the Sun Times article said the Magellan paid for a permit, with Sean said wasn't necessarily true.

SamInTheLoop Jul 14, 2017 2:10 PM

^ Something of an 'unconventional' use of "necessarily" on Mr. Linnane's part.....


My read is they don't like the coverage with respect to the program.....nor should they, given its many problematic characteristics in practice....

BVictor1 Jul 17, 2017 3:53 AM

Slideshow presentation:

http://www.ward42chicago.com/documen...orAlderman.pdf

http://www.ward42chicago.com/documen...orAlderman.pdf

vegeta_skyline Aug 28, 2017 7:47 AM

For filler this thing looks good, love how huge it is.

kolchak Oct 31, 2018 9:52 PM

OCTOBER 19-
Follow @ChicagoDPD
Commission approves 50-story plan for 193 N. Columbus Drive in Lakeshore East with 640 residential units and 570 hotel rooms. The project will seek LEED Silver designation.

Very happy they approved this one. Its gonna add great density to that pocket. Its also a rectangle which will visually strengthen the city grid context there.

left of center Oct 31, 2018 9:56 PM

Very nice! Won't really impact the skyline much (unless you are standing in LSE park), since it will be surrounded by buildings of roughly equal height or (much) taller, but still a nice boost to the area's density. More people = more vibrancy.

gebs Oct 31, 2018 10:00 PM

I'm all for plugging the gaps and adding density, but this has to be my least favorite building of anything proposed in the last 4 years. The four different boxes look so poorly contrived, even though I believe the design is meant to divide up the development's different components.

And maybe it'll look much better in practice. But so far, I'm not a fan.

left of center Oct 31, 2018 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gebs (Post 8364341)
I'm all for plugging the gaps and adding density, but this has to be my least favorite building of anything proposed in the last 4 years. The four different boxes look so poorly contrived, even though I believe the design is meant to divide up the development's different components.

And maybe it'll look much better in practice. But so far, I'm not a fan.

I guess its good that it won't be highly visible then? lol

I don't mind the design, its a bit eclectic which actually helps it fit in at the very diverse collection of buildings at LSE. You got the ugly-ish Lowenberg pomo midrises (Shoreham & Tides), the modernist SCB designed 340 OTP & bKL Coast, and the gorgeous and graceful Gang designed Aqua and Vista.

Get it in before the market turns! :)

LanvinHomme Oct 31, 2018 11:30 PM

I like it. I love collage looking buildings. Reminds me of De Rotterdam, which is the only example I can think of right now.

BonoboZill4 Nov 1, 2018 3:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by left of center (Post 8364367)
I guess its good that it won't be highly visible then? lol

I don't mind the design, its a bit eclectic which actually helps it fit in at the very diverse collection of buildings at LSE. You got the ugly-ish Lowenberg pomo midrises (Shoreham & Tides), the modernist SCB designed 340 OTP & bKL Coast, and the gorgeous and graceful Gang designed Aqua and Vista.

Get it in before the market turns! :)

When put this way, I definitely am able to live with the building's look and feel a lot more. Should be fun to watch it rise at the very least. Love me massive concrete beasts :cheers:

bnk Nov 1, 2018 4:27 AM

I forgot about this one. I went to page one and saw site O.


If so that's a hell of lot of hotel rooms for such a skinny building.

Quote:

OCTOBER 19-
Follow @ChicagoDPD
Commission approves 50-story plan for 193 N. Columbus Drive in Lakeshore East with 640 residential units and 570 hotel rooms.
I know this is an older version but it shows how BCBS building dwarfs it and BCBS is not really massive.



Quote:

Originally Posted by chris08876 (Post 6755965)
[I


____________________________________________

OLD PROPOSAL:

Skyscraper Inbound for Lakeshore East



http://imageshack.com/a/img745/2774/trtjiZ.jpg

]

Kind of tight for 640 residential units and 570 hotel rooms. Its a pretty narrow lot and it won't have a good southern sun exposure with BCBS right south of it. GD shadows. Gets get Mr. DownTown's take on this. He's good for legal mumbo jumbo and shadows.

SIGSEGV Nov 1, 2018 4:50 AM

I like it, especially given the site constraints. Also a pedway connection to the grocery store is quite a nice amenity... If one worked in the right place, one would never need to go outside in winter.

the urban politician Nov 1, 2018 1:22 PM

I hope this starts some time soon. It’s been lingering as a proposal for quite a while

LouisVanDerWright Nov 1, 2018 3:38 PM

It would be nice to get this one built just to eliminate the only remaining gap in the West half of LSE. The big hole where this is going to go really puts a damper on the "completeness" of the area and the park in particular. The rest of the remaining sites are all relegated to the isolated East end of the development where no one notices them except from LSD.

Donnie77 Nov 1, 2018 5:59 PM

Can someone post rendering of the most recent design?

Thnx in advance

BuildThemTaller Nov 1, 2018 6:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donnie77 (Post 8365121)
Can someone post rendering of the most recent design?

Thnx in advance

Courtesy of the Department of Planning & Development
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Dp0FlhSV4AA2Hov.jpg:large

phanta721 Nov 1, 2018 6:36 PM

10/1/18
 
https://i.imgur.com/zBgUOdFh.jpg

left of center Nov 1, 2018 10:09 PM

If there was one thing I could change about this tower, it would be to reorient the tower to rise from Columbus, instead of LSE Park. It would give the park a bit more breathing room, while helping frame the street wall on Columbus.

BonoboZill4 Nov 2, 2018 1:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bnk (Post 8364701)
I know this is an older version but it shows how BCBS building dwarfs it and BCBS is not really massive.

Uhhhh... the BCBS building is absolutely massive... It's over 2 million square feet of office space mi amigo. It's half a Sears tower!

maru2501 Nov 2, 2018 4:12 PM

filler

and I bet those trees down there are the last few from the old par 3 golf course

jc5680 Nov 2, 2018 5:11 PM

I am pretty neutral on it, but it does sort of look like a building assembled from left over facades from other bKL buildings.

Notyrview Nov 2, 2018 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8366229)
I am pretty neutral on it, but it does sort of look like a building assembled from left over facades from other bKL buildings.

Yeah i agree. it’s a bit of a mess relative to their other designs.

Suiram Dec 13, 2018 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8365630)
Uhhhh... the BCBS building is absolutely massive... It's over 2 million square feet of office space mi amigo. It's half a Sears tower!

Ya its like this whole little corner of Columbus is so out of proportion that people have trouble grasping it. Your street level is actually 4-5 floors above ground with a massive road network underneath you. BCBS is the small office while Aon is the big one. Aqua adjacent with Vista off in the distance.

It seemed like a ton of units/keys when first announced, but if you go down and stand on the edge of the site you will appreciate how huge it is. Its actually a pretty normal width lot for an apartment building. Its just super deep and maybe because of its neighbors and the fact that you are so far off the ground on Columbus its not as obvious.

Pretty sure Magellan wants to copy their success at Aqua with sharing an over-sized podium amenity deck between hotel and apartments to give everyone a bigger better concept while saving a bunch of operating expenses. There must be a good reason for the deck facing Columbus and not the park, but I am not sure what it is. Maybe you get a view across Grant Park? Edit: So just checking streetview and it should be a really great unobstructed view across Millennium Park to the Michigan Ave street wall

Skyguy_7 Aug 7, 2019 1:20 PM

This one is back out on the street for bids. It appears to be the same design. 55 floors. 300 hotel rooms, 600 apartments.

sox102 Aug 7, 2019 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8651573)
This one is back out on the street for bids. It appears to be the same design. 55 floors. 300 hotel rooms, 600 apartments.

Yep, we got the ITB as well. Power and McHugh bidding. Others? I'm not sure.

LouisVanDerWright Aug 7, 2019 1:55 PM

Looks like Magaellan is looking to finish off LSE yet this cycle...

the urban politician Aug 7, 2019 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8651573)
This one is back out on the street for bids. It appears to be the same design. 55 floors. 300 hotel rooms, 600 apartments.

Awesome, I've been waiting to see this one happen

Skyguy_7 Aug 7, 2019 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sox102 (Post 8651581)
Yep, we got the ITB as well. Power and McHugh bidding. Others? I'm not sure.

I haven't heard of any others.

Would be odd to see someone besides McHugh building the tower!

SamInTheLoop Aug 7, 2019 9:47 PM

Good news. I've been waiting for this one forever. There are of course those that are disappointed with the height or underwhelmed by the design. I kinda like this one. And, it's an appropriately intensive use of this small site (900 total residential/hotel units).

BonoboZill4 Aug 8, 2019 5:04 AM

By the time they finish up the LSE area (plus that apartment tower goes in behind the Illinois Center), there will be over 10k people alone(if we include hotels) in the New East Side... insane density, probably the highest in the city. Hopefully better retail and restaurant options start to pop up, although unsure where they'd go


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.