SkyscraperPage Forum

SkyscraperPage Forum (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/index.php)
-   Proposals (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=361)
-   -   CHICAGO | 195 N Columbus (LSE) | 502 FT | 47 FLOORS (https://skyscraperpage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=213523)

jc5680 Nov 2, 2018 5:11 PM

I am pretty neutral on it, but it does sort of look like a building assembled from left over facades from other bKL buildings.

Notyrview Nov 2, 2018 6:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jc5680 (Post 8366229)
I am pretty neutral on it, but it does sort of look like a building assembled from left over facades from other bKL buildings.

Yeah i agree. it’s a bit of a mess relative to their other designs.

Suiram Dec 13, 2018 9:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 (Post 8365630)
Uhhhh... the BCBS building is absolutely massive... It's over 2 million square feet of office space mi amigo. It's half a Sears tower!

Ya its like this whole little corner of Columbus is so out of proportion that people have trouble grasping it. Your street level is actually 4-5 floors above ground with a massive road network underneath you. BCBS is the small office while Aon is the big one. Aqua adjacent with Vista off in the distance.

It seemed like a ton of units/keys when first announced, but if you go down and stand on the edge of the site you will appreciate how huge it is. Its actually a pretty normal width lot for an apartment building. Its just super deep and maybe because of its neighbors and the fact that you are so far off the ground on Columbus its not as obvious.

Pretty sure Magellan wants to copy their success at Aqua with sharing an over-sized podium amenity deck between hotel and apartments to give everyone a bigger better concept while saving a bunch of operating expenses. There must be a good reason for the deck facing Columbus and not the park, but I am not sure what it is. Maybe you get a view across Grant Park? Edit: So just checking streetview and it should be a really great unobstructed view across Millennium Park to the Michigan Ave street wall

Skyguy_7 Aug 7, 2019 1:20 PM

This one is back out on the street for bids. It appears to be the same design. 55 floors. 300 hotel rooms, 600 apartments.

sox102 Aug 7, 2019 1:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8651573)
This one is back out on the street for bids. It appears to be the same design. 55 floors. 300 hotel rooms, 600 apartments.

Yep, we got the ITB as well. Power and McHugh bidding. Others? I'm not sure.

LouisVanDerWright Aug 7, 2019 1:55 PM

Looks like Magaellan is looking to finish off LSE yet this cycle...

the urban politician Aug 7, 2019 2:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 (Post 8651573)

Awesome, I've been waiting to see this one happen

Skyguy_7 Aug 7, 2019 5:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sox102 (Post 8651581)
Yep, we got the ITB as well. Power and McHugh bidding. Others? I'm not sure.

I haven't heard of any others.

Would be odd to see someone besides McHugh building the tower!

SamInTheLoop Aug 7, 2019 9:47 PM

Good news. I've been waiting for this one forever. There are of course those that are disappointed with the height or underwhelmed by the design. I kinda like this one. And, it's an appropriately intensive use of this small site (900 total residential/hotel units).

BonoboZill4 Aug 8, 2019 5:04 AM

By the time they finish up the LSE area (plus that apartment tower goes in behind the Illinois Center), there will be over 10k people alone(if we include hotels) in the New East Side... insane density, probably the highest in the city. Hopefully better retail and restaurant options start to pop up, although unsure where they'd go

Ricochet48 Aug 8, 2019 12:14 PM

Still amazed how they can fit something in this thin slab (NYC style I guess?). Anyone have the actual dimensions of the plot? It looks to be 4-5 car lengths only.

ardecila Aug 8, 2019 2:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ricochet48 (Post 8652606)
Still amazed how they can fit something in this thin slab (NYC style I guess?). Anyone have the actual dimensions of the plot? It looks to be 4-5 car lengths only.

That's plenty for a double-loaded corridor with hotel rooms. A standard suburban hotel (Hilton Garden Inn, Fairfield Inn, etc) is 60-65' wide. Even downtown hotels often come in around this size, the Sheraton has a 65' deep floorplate and so does the Loews.

Site O is approximately 95' wide, so that's plenty of room. The only limitation is on ballroom/convention/banquet space which usually requires a larger podium... hence why Magellan is targeting limited-service hotel brands that don't require those spaces.

The apartments will likely have the same depth as a hotel room, but 1.5-2x as wide...

maru2501 Oct 14, 2019 8:41 PM

Oh, thanks

meanwhile soil tester on-site today at LSE Site O

Tom In Chicago Oct 14, 2019 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 8716902)
Oh, thanks

Now THAT is interesting. . .

. . .

Ricochet48 Oct 15, 2019 2:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maru2501 (Post 8716902)
Oh, thanks

Yup also saw that today. Man that's a thin site, will be interesting to see LSE all fill out soon. Hoping the tall one (L?) gets above 950ft too!

phanta721 Oct 15, 2019 3:02 PM

10/15/19

soil testing

https://i.imgur.com/j5NUWgfh.jpg

Handro Oct 15, 2019 3:16 PM

can't wait for this spot to get filled. One of the more low key gaps downtown because it's hidden unless you're actually in LSE--but once it's built the impact will be noticed outside the hood.

BuildThemTaller Oct 15, 2019 3:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Handro (Post 8717491)
can't wait for this spot to get filled. One of the more low key gaps downtown because it's hidden unless you're actually in LSE--but once it's built the impact will be noticed outside the hood.

I cannot imagine how this building will have an impact outside of the neighborhood. It's hard to see Aqua from most angles. Lot 0 is surrounded on nearly all sides, save the LSE park.

Now, I love to see this get developed, don't get me wrong. The site I really want developed is kitty-corner, on the other side of Columbus.

Ricochet48 Oct 15, 2019 4:53 PM

Aggreed ^, it will have almost zero impact outside that small community. All the other highrises surrounding it dominate it. Heck you've got 3 supertalls within a few blocks.

The tower next to Cirrus on the last plot to be filled will have the greatest impact imo. Everyone on LSD / the Lakefront Trail will see a 950ft near supertall unobstructed.

Handro Oct 15, 2019 5:18 PM

^From Michigan Avenue Looking north (anywhere between roughly Adams to Randolph) there is a pretty wide gap between Prudential and 300 E Randolph. Also from Millenium Park. The street wall will be much more complete once this is built. I lived in the Shoreham for a period so I traveled into LSE daily. This huge gap was very noticeable from the southwest.